Wipeout HD disappointing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tcarruth
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

I loved the original and the sequel 2097 (XL in North America). After fusion I thought I would never buy a wipeout game again but then Wipeout HD got decent reviews on the PS3 so I downloaded it.

I just don't understand how the feel of the game can be worse than the original in 1993. In the first two games, Airbraking could get you around the tightest corners and was immensly satisfying. Now there is literally no way of avoiding the outside edge of some corners. The racing model is very similar to fusion which was awful. Why isn't this game getting worse reviews, it just isn't fun anymore.

To test this I went back to 2097 and couldn't believe how much more enjoyable the game was. Is anyone enjoying Wipeout HD and tell me why I (a wipeout veteran) suddenly can't make tight corners using an airbrake. PS what is all this barrel rolling nonsense and what does it do for you?

PS the music is no longer dark fringe techno but now a mix of mainstream techno, trance and house - wtf?

zakaweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 zakaweb
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts
I agree totally. Hopefully the controls will be tweaked with an update in the near future. It's impossible to win because of the controls on some of the events. I played the original also, and using the air brakes was part of the fun. In the version it's frustrating because they art tweaked right. I still enjoy playing this version but sessions are short because of the difficulty.
marcl18123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 marcl18123
Member since 2006 • 2050 Posts
ill admit im no Wipeout veteran but im not having any troubles makin tight corners. While im sure there are a lot of different between HD and XL, im still finding HD to be a blast (while difficult at times, but i dont mind a challenge). Oh and the barrel give u a boost at the cost of some engery. And i cant comment about the music ,never be much of a techno fan myself, but u kno u can just add your own music if u want rite?
tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tcarruth

Ok so it's not just me. I might try one of the worse handling ships on the offchance that the airbraking effect is stronger... Does any of the ships best fit the classic wipeout handling model?

tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tcarruth

ill admit im no Wipeout veteran but im not having any troubles makin tight corners. While im sure there are a lot of different between HD and XL, im still finding HD to be a blast (while difficult at times, but i dont mind a challenge). Oh and the barrel give u a boost at the cost of some engery. And i cant comment about the music ,never be much of a techno fan myself, but u kno u can just add your own music if u want rite?marcl18123

Great! didn't know about adding your own music, thanks man!

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I've never played a Wipeout game before this and I don't have much trouble with the turns - took a couple of hours to get used to it, though.

I've had best luck with the AG Systems vehicle.

kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 kimbokasteniv
Member since 2004 • 3892 Posts

I haven't played HD. But I'm pretty sure all of the tracks are composed from Pure and Pulse. I can't think of any tracks from either of those games which had impossible turns on phantom. Although, I will say there were some really tough ones. Actually, now that I think of it, there were some tracks that I could only perfect on good days.

However, I started with fusion. Which I thought was ridiculously difficult, so when I played pure I thought it was much easier.

Of course I am assuming the handling is basically the same between pulse and HD.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
i love the game, i cant remember the other wipeouts, cuz i was very little when i played them and last time i remember playing wipeout was back in 2000, but i dont have hard time making tight corners im gettin gold medals on my first try of each level. i dont know guess everyone has their own tastes
Rawrmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rawrmachine
Member since 2008 • 269 Posts
I found it rather disappointing aswell, and the difficulty of getting trophies is way too hard.
marcl18123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 marcl18123
Member since 2006 • 2050 Posts

I found it rather disappointing aswell, and the difficulty of getting trophies is way too hard.Rawrmachine

trophies arent suppose to be easy or there would be no point

RahKayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 RahKayne
Member since 2003 • 3436 Posts

wow, I've never heard that about wipeout hd.

it's a great game, making turns are in fact easier

it's the same great gameplay, plus online, that's my opinion but my friend who are also wipeout fans agree.

MrBz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrBz1
Member since 2008 • 49 Posts
I waiting for an update before I purchase it.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
I don't have problems taking turns. Maybe you should try another vehicle. I like the harimau (I think that's how to spell it). It turns very well. I find it seems to turn from the back so use the air brake a little sooner than what intuition tells you. Hope that helps.
BrettB7400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BrettB7400
Member since 2007 • 3401 Posts
The problem is that your not turning at the right time and your problably coming in at a bad angle. Its really easy once you know when and at what angle to turn at.
psn_Jaimzl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 psn_Jaimzl
Member since 2008 • 1241 Posts
wipeout is awsome and if u get far enough u can onlock the old wipeout HUD aswell i think u are able to tweak your air brakes so u don't have to push as far down to fully use them. i believe default is 30%
Cyphus07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Cyphus07
Member since 2007 • 189 Posts

Its a good game, it is quite hard at the later stages of the campaign mode. I'm a little stuck, can't quite get the 3 more pts I need to get to Speed Freak.

I don't find the controls to be a problem really. I have had, however, more than one occasion where online gaming has turned to a snore. There aren't too many game sessions created when I get on (evening est time) - most aren't filled and none of the hosts seem to pay attention to that "Start the sessions/race" button. The online portion is the only real gripe I have with Wipeout HD.

The musical score wasn't to my taste, even though I like techno/dance/trance, etc. So i just added my own soundtrack - problem solved.

Good game, definitely worth 20$, but I wouldn't have paid 60$ for it. I like it... not addicted to it though. :(

I'd like a game that could keep my attention.

tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tcarruth

It's not like you can't make the corners its just that you get this annoying scraping sound as you meet the edge... dunno i found the all or nothing model of the first two games, coupled with a much heavier airbrake (+ satisfying airbrake noise!) so much more fun. Its not a hard game, just not nearly as fun as the originals, if you don't know what I mean, try em' you'll be horrified!

Also, I can't agree that the game looks amazing, it looks good, but not 'amazing'.

tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tcarruth

wipeout is awsome and if u get far enough u can onlock the old wipeout HUD aswell i think u are able to tweak your air brakes so u don't have to push as far down to fully use them. i believe default is 30%psn_Jaimzl

Ahhh, excellent! will see if this works, thanks for that!

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

This is one of those times where "Stop sucking." really, actually applies.

The game has a really steep learning curve compared to the other ones before it; I'm a Wipeout vet myself.

You have to take corners early, especially at higher speeds.

Change the sensitivity of the airbrakes to your liking (70% is highly recommended by most who play WipEout)

Did you just start playing the game on Rapier and/or Phantom?

The bottom line:Unless you've spent an insane amount of time with the game, you can't gripe about the controls because you just started. It's going to take some getting used to, as well as practice.

tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tcarruth

Thanks for the advice to 'stop sucking'!!

Ok another criticism that I think should be mentioned and hopefully sorted in a later patch is the weird pause that happens everytime you go over a speed boost. Its like a little glitch that occurs just before you speed up and tends to screw up your line... if you are turning it momentarily speeds up your turn and then catapults you into the side of the track - has anyone else noticed this?

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Scianix-Black

lol, I didn't mean it to be taken to harshly. Sorry about that.

As for your msot recent problem, no I haven't run into that.

Really, the only thing wrong with the game is the whole freezing issue with the full friends list.

tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tcarruth
No worries! add TCarruthers sometime and we'll see who sucks!
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Scianix-Black

I will add you right now, as I'm itching to play.

PSN: K-MIZER.

whocares9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 whocares9
Member since 2004 • 5062 Posts

Oh hell no this thread exists! I loved Wipeout XL/2097 and I think Wipeout HD is the best in the series anyways. I have been a WO fan since the first one. The only dissapointing one till today is the piece of %&^$ that is called fusion.

PSN: love9sick , race me and lose.

wipeoutzone.com member.

PS: anyone got the chrome ships yet? I was thinking eventually of going for the "bling Brigade" trophy where everyone with chrome ship skins runs online. If not here I will do it with members of wipeoutzone.com forum.

I BOUGHT A PS3 JUST FOR THIS GAME!

tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tcarruth

You know what, after reading all of these positive responses I loaded back up the game to give it another chance.

I stand by my earlier comments. This is far less fun than the first two games. The satisfaction of going around a corner sideways, looking at wall, and then suddenly seeing the straight magically emerging in front of you, no longer exists in wipeout. You are always looking ahead and the airbrakes are just weird and lame by comparison.

Sorry but I really am disappointed.

Was really looking forward to this game as well.... still only $20 I guess...

BobRea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BobRea
Member since 2005 • 681 Posts
I also just got this game and I'm kind of dissapointed. I had never played Wipeout before but I feel like I'm going really slow in this game. No sense of speed at all.
Silverdragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Silverdragon17
Member since 2005 • 664 Posts

I also just got this game and I'm kind of dissapointed. I had never played Wipeout before but I feel like I'm going really slow in this game. No sense of speed at all.BobRea

Are u playing in first person view and any of the other speed classes? (Not Venom).

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts
its fun...but very very hard
Neangeles_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Neangeles_999
Member since 2003 • 89 Posts
ok...so your problem is with the controls and music? Tweak the sensitivity on the controls/air brakes and import your own music. Was that so hard?
e011234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 e011234
Member since 2004 • 200 Posts

Ok a few thing to clear:

1. The airbrake sensitivity can be changed in the options menu, but really, the physics in wipeout HD are more realistic and yea there are some tracks where the bend is almost 90 deg, u have to get used to airbraking before u get to the bend. And playing Zones on those maps are pretty hard, especially at faster speeds, i can only get to like zone 26 before i blow up on those. U just got to practise using the airbrake at the exact spot before the bends

2. Ive played wipeout ever since the 1st one in 1995, back in the awsome days of the ps1, And yes, Wipeout 2097 is my favorite along with the music from cold storage, you can download all the tracks off previous wipeout games, from cold storages website and ps1 game soundtrack sites like galbadia hotel(servers are down for a while) and play them instead thru audio options.

But really, this game is worthy of the wipeout name, its graphics are mind boggling, its freaking smooth, its going to be continusly updated, ((probally)music, ships, tracks, campaigns). this game is just $27.95AUS, and whoever says it is 'slow' are playing on Novice/Flash. Try phantom. Its a great game.

GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 GranReyUno
Member since 2007 • 1542 Posts
I can't say that I am a wipe out vet since I stop playing the series at wipe out fusion (loved fusion) but I felt that the controllers weren't tight like the old wipe outs. Once I changed my air brake sensitivity to 70% and took off pilot assist, the game became a lot more funner. I think your issue is with hitting corners is pilot assist since pilot assist tries to avoid the wall for you automatically but I could be wrong.
whocares9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 whocares9

LoL, pilot assist. I would think anyone would have already turned that off. The guy complaining about the game being slow needs to get off Venom class already...Hell Rapier is slow for me. Phantom is definitly not slow though could be faster. Though this game is slower on speed than XL but I am hoping that the ZEN class in zone is later released with an updated as a normal race mode. It obviously is possible with the evidence of the zone modes Zen, Sub-Sonic, and Zeus.

The people complaining about controls, speed, and feeling are just people who suck at the game. I do that with every new wipeout, always am dissapointed, than I get better at it and realize it is better...even if in it's own way. The game is evolving and it is still king of sci-fi racers.

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Scianix-Black

LoL, pilot assist. I would think anyone would have already turned that off. The guy complaining about the game being slow needs to get off Venom class already...Hell Rapier is slow for me. Though this game is slower on speed than XL but I am hoping that the ZEN class in zone is later released with an updated as a normal race mode.

The people complaining about controls, speed, and feeling are just people who suck at the game. I do that with every new wipeout, always am dissapointed, than I get better at it and realize it is better...even if in it own way. The game is evolving and it is still kind of sci-fi racers.

whocares9

EPIC THIS.

The game is excellent, balanced, and fast.

Tweak the game a bit, stop sucking, and maybe you'll like it more.

tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tcarruth

I love the way people tell me to stop sucking as a response to my criticism of a game. I'm sorry but it is quite obvious to me, someone who is very capable at wipeout that this version isn't even half as fun a two of the original games mainly due to a restrictive and boring flight model. Drifting is fun and you can't do it in wipeout HD. Can you get a refund over PSN? I suppose not.

ENIXMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ENIXMAN
Member since 2003 • 710 Posts

After reading all these post..... I guess I am the only one who plays phantom with 30% airbrake.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Never played a Wipeout game before and I just downloaded it. I'll see how it goes.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Raced the first track twice, 4th and 1st place on easy... looks pretty fun :D
whocares9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 whocares9

I love the way people tell me to stop sucking as a response to my criticism of a game. I'm sorry but it is quite obvious to me, someone who is very capable at wipeout that this version isn't even half as fun a two of the original games mainly due to a restrictive and boring flight model. Drifting is fun and you can't do it in wipeout HD. Can you get a refund over PSN? I suppose not.

tcarruth

Great, no one is telling you to like the game. There is always those few who are disspointed. Like all the crazy reviews for MGS4 and I think after playing that game it is a big POS.