Will this actually break a PS3????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

X360Gurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 X360Gurl
Member since 2007 • 513 Posts

I was talking to my friend the other day about turning off the PS3 and we were talking about how if you turn it off at the back without switching it on standby it'll break it.

I read an article on it one time on a magazine that just recieved a PS3 prior to release date and turned it off at the back without switching it to standby and broke it. It's just a curious question really, does anyone know if theres any truth or have had this experiance?

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
I don't think it will Explode in your face but it might be better just to turn it off the way you feel safe turning it off.
zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts
If anything I'd guess it is the equivilent of not shutting windows down properly. If you do it enough, eventually you might corrupt some important files.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 K1LLR3175
If anything I'd guess it is the equivilent of not shutting windows down properly. If you do it enough, eventually you might corrupt some important files.zaphod_b
Exactly.Just keep turning off your PS3 the safe way.
daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 daftdog
Member since 2003 • 910 Posts

It can corrupt your hard drive, this is what happened to me a couple of months ago. I turned it off at the back without putting it on standby, next time i turned it on it said the hard drive was corrupt. I had to send it back to Sony and get a new one! However it only corrupts your hard drive if the system is saving something to the hard drive itself, previously before it went corrupt i did it all the time non the wiser. Be warned turning your System off whilst it is saving something to the hard drive will corrupt your PS3!!! Its not always clear when it is saving something to the hard drive either, so be careful. My advice is to just safely turn it off to standby first. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
deactivated-61010a1ed19f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
Member since 2007 • 3235 Posts
better safe than sorry
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Yeah, just make sure you always switch it to standby before switching it off at the back. And make sure the orange hard drive light isn't flashing when you turn it off- nearly every game tells you this anyway.
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

probably not your ps3, but your hdd. just like a computer hdd...

X360Gurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 X360Gurl
Member since 2007 • 513 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't imagine in turning it off without turning it on standby because its such a simple thing for a big problem. but yeah I was just curious thats all, thanks :]
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 K1LLR3175
Yeah, I wouldn't imagine in turning it off without turning it on standby because its such a simple thing for a big problem. but yeah I was just curious thats all, thanks :]X360Gurl
No problem.I use to be slick and try to just hit the switch but not anymore.
Avatar image for Battle-In-Flash
Battle-In-Flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Battle-In-Flash
Member since 2008 • 123 Posts

I was talking to my friend the other day about turning off the PS3 and we were talking about how if you turn it off at the back without switching it on standby it'll break it.

I read an article on it one time on a magazine that just recieved a PS3 prior to release date and turned it off at the back without switching it to standby and broke it. It's just a curious question really, does anyone know if theres any truth or have had this experiance?

X360Gurl

Go on the offical website, SONY them selves say it won't break it.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 K1LLR3175
[QUOTE="X360Gurl"]

Battle-In-Flash

Yeah we established that awhile ago.But it can cause your HDD to go corrupt which is also pretty bad,
Naim1225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Naim1225
Member since 2008 • 116 Posts
Is there any way to turn off the PS3 when it freezes without using the switch in the back? My PS3 has frozen during Uncharted, COD3, Resistance: Fall of Man, and GTA IV.
somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 somesthetic
Member since 2004 • 3344 Posts
it doesn't break it. it might corrupt save data if you do it at the wrong time.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 K1LLR3175
Is there any way to turn off the PS3 when it freezes without using the switch in the back? My PS3 has frozen during Uncharted, COD3, Resistance: Fall of Man, and GTA IV. Naim1225
You might want to call Sony about that.I just press the button on the front unti it cuts off.Then I wait a min or two and then I turn it back on.
Battle-In-Flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Battle-In-Flash
[QUOTE="Battle-In-Flash"][QUOTE="X360Gurl"]

K1LLR3175

Yeah we established that awhile ago.But it can cause your HDD to go corrupt which is also pretty bad,

Yeah, I just turn it on stand by or turn it on stand by and then turn it off.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
the only reason u should be turning it off from the back is if ur going to move your ps3 from one place to another (thus removing the plugs), other then that u should just be holding the front power button to turn it off or threw the controller.
daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 daftdog

the only reason u should be turning it off from the back is if ur going to move your ps3 from one place to another, other then that u should just be holding the front power button to turn it off or threw the controller.LP4EVA2005

Dude leaving it on stanby seriously wastes electricity. Think of the planet! Didn't you know 'we' are destroying our planet!

jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]the only reason u should be turning it off from the back is if ur going to move your ps3 from one place to another, other then that u should just be holding the front power button to turn it off or threw the controller.daftdog

Dude leaving it on stanby seriously wastes electricity. Think of the planet! Didn't you know 'we' are destroying our planet!

OH blah blah blah. Maybe it's not we, maybe it's YOU! Have you thought about that one? Anyway, when it freezes I don't believe you have any options, because the buttons won't respond to put it in standby mode. I have to flip the switch maybe twice(?), and my ps3 hasn't broken. I'm on my third 360, but the PS3 is pretty sturdy.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]the only reason u should be turning it off from the back is if ur going to move your ps3 from one place to another, other then that u should just be holding the front power button to turn it off or threw the controller.daftdog

well is the planet going to buy me a new ps3 if it breaks down?? screw the planet..

daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 daftdog
[QUOTE="daftdog"]

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]the only reason u should be turning it off from the back is if ur going to move your ps3 from one place to another, other then that u should just be holding the front power button to turn it off or threw the controller.jubino

OH blah blah blah. Maybe it's not we, maybe it's YOU! Have you thought about that one? Anyway, when it freezes I don't believe you have any options, because the buttons won't respond to put it in standby mode. I have to flip the switch maybe twice(?), and my ps3 hasn't broken. I'm on my third 360, but the PS3 is pretty sturdy.

I was trying to make a point of the petiness of climate change at moment, but you dint get tha lol! ;)

Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nene33
Member since 2007 • 7870 Posts

[QUOTE="Naim1225"]Is there any way to turn off the PS3 when it freezes without using the switch in the back? My PS3 has frozen during Uncharted, COD3, Resistance: Fall of Man, and GTA IV. K1LLR3175
You might want to call Sony about that.I just press the button on the front unti it cuts off.Then I wait a min or two and then I turn it back on.

That's the official way, just push the button on the front till you hear the beeps, and it shuts down, you don't have to wait more then about 45 sec's, to turn it back on again.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
Switching it off from the back is the equivalent of a power outtage. Not recommended unless you like corrupt files and shouldn't physically damage anything.
jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jubino
[QUOTE="jubino"][QUOTE="daftdog"]

I was trying to make a point of the petiness of climate change at moment, but you dint get tha lol! ;)

Oh I got it, hence the serious tone of my message ;). Anyway, back on topic.

jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jubino

[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"][QUOTE="Naim1225"]Is there any way to turn off the PS3 when it freezes without using the switch in the back? My PS3 has frozen during Uncharted, COD3, Resistance: Fall of Man, and GTA IV. Nene33

That's the official way, just push the button on the front till you hear the beeps, and it shuts down, you don't have to wait more then about 45 sec's, to turn it back on again.

But when it freezes you can't do that. The buttons don't respond.

Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nene33
Member since 2007 • 7870 Posts
[QUOTE="Nene33"]

[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"][QUOTE="Naim1225"]Is there any way to turn off the PS3 when it freezes without using the switch in the back? My PS3 has frozen during Uncharted, COD3, Resistance: Fall of Man, and GTA IV. jubino

The on/off button on the front always responds, even when the system freezes.

daftdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 daftdog
[QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="jubino"][QUOTE="daftdog"]

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]the only reason u should be turning it off from the back is if ur going to move your ps3 from one place to another, other then that u should just be holding the front power button to turn it off or threw the controller.jubino

I put the word WE in inverted commars for christ sake as to say we are being blamed for the powerful people's mistakes lol. Anyways your probaly like what 12? so i won't explain anymore.

jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jubino
[QUOTE="jubino"][QUOTE="Nene33"]

[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"][QUOTE="Naim1225"]Is there any way to turn off the PS3 when it freezes without using the switch in the back? My PS3 has frozen during Uncharted, COD3, Resistance: Fall of Man, and GTA IV. Nene33

The on/off button on the front always responds, even when the system freezes.

I've tried before with no such luck. I was playing Uncharted and it froze, and I pressed it for like 30 seconds and nothing happened.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 K1LLR3175
yeah dude for me the buttons always respond when the game freezes.That is the way I have been resetting it if it happened.
jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jubino
[QUOTE="jubino"][QUOTE="daftdog"][QUOTE="jubino"][QUOTE="daftdog"]

I put the word WE in inverted commars for christ sake as to say we are being blamed for the powerful people's mistakes lol. Anyways your probaly like what 12? so i won't explain anymore.

I'm actually like 21. So, yeah, what you did definitely was not over my head. I was just joking, and I don't believe YOU understand that, but you're probably like what 15? so I won't explain anymore.

berserkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 berserkey
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts
the switch in the back is to cut the power off immediately.it is possiblethat it will damage your ps3. whatever you do do not use it when your hard-drive is active.i would recommend onlye using the switch when its in standby(power light is red). aslo occasioally when a game freezes and is not responive to pressing the power button you may have to use the switch too.
Battle-In-Flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Battle-In-Flash

the switch in the back is to cut the power off immediately.it is possiblethat it will damage your ps3. whatever you do do not use it when your hard-drive is active.i would recommend onlye using the switch when its in standby(power light is red). aslo occasioally when a game freezes and is not responive to pressing the power button you may have to use the switch too.berserkey

No it will not, read this and stop trying to scare people.

From Sony Computer Entertainment America

"The main switch does not need to be turned-off and although the display is "off", the inside workings are in a stand-by mode waiting for the signal from the remote control to re-activate. However, if you prefer to turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 using the main switch rather than using stand-by mode, it will not harm the system"