Will Sony make another handheld after PS Vita

YoungDavid77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Will Sony make another handheld after PS Vita (82 votes)

Yes 34%
No 66%

Since PS Vita is dead here in North America, and it is selling well in Japan. I hardly see any new PS Vita's or games in retailer. But will Sony make another new handheld after Vita? they did good with PSP but didn't do well with Vita and I'm afraid they will discontinue at the end of year. If they do make another handheld they would sell it only in Japan but not in the US. Nintendo is doing well with it's 3DS but that handheld is aim toward kids and and preteens. PS Vita is aim for more adult gamers in all. So what do you think?

• 
Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#1  Edited By Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

I think such a move will be a pure stupidity for sony, it's all going for the mobile cellphones, another handheld console is a mistake.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

Perhaps it's because I'm mostly a Nintendo loyalist with handhelds, but I don't think it's in Sonys best interest.

Had a PSP long ago, and didn't keep it for very long. Even as a Disgaea fan, it just didn't click for me compared to its console counter-part. It was loud, over-heated, and flat-out preferred the DS for travel.

With Nintendo and Mobile owning the handheld scene, it wouldn't be wise after the Vita.

The Vita itself was a brilliant device, and I assume handled much better than my PSP experience, compared to the 3DS however it's not doing as well in any regard. Even if it's technically superior.

As stated, I'm alittle biased on this subject so take my post with a grain of salt.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

Nope. PS Vita was a complete failure, creating a new iteration and new publicity campaign would cost millions and suicidal for the company. Mobile tablets and smartphones are where it's at! The days of the gaming centric handhelds are now over. Even Nintendo is feeling the hurt.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I think they will, but it has to be revolutionary. The PSP was a huge success, but the PS Vita really wasn't and all it really was, was a watered down PS3 in hand held form. If it had a solid game lineup and nice features I don't see why they wouldn't.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

They shouldn't, and judging by their E3 showing they don't plan to. They presumably gave up on the Vita. They should focus on their consoles and to provide the PS4 with a great lineup of games.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

i would love them (or someone....PLEASE!!) to create a proper gaming phone. the vitas OS (updated a bit) with a more robust set of the usual apps and some proper games on a phone....yes please. they had the right idea with the xperia play but it relied on android/ios style games (which are garbage) and was too expensive. if they took the one plus model in phones (sell with a thinner profit marigin on the hardware) and backed it with proper games it could be great.

it would certainly be an interesting ay to set them apart in the phone market. i think the least thing that needs now is another slate *yawn*.

we wont see a dedicated handheld from them again though.

its such a shame with the vita. awesome bit of kit. some great games on it. but sony just dropped it like a stone :(. i was using it today to play Ys 7 (picked it up after the great celceta) and its just such a great device to play games on.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

I hope not.

The VITA wasnt even needed in the first place.

Handhelds are a tough market, mostly because there isnt much software companies that are willing to invest in it (devs making games for them).

Now with phones, that takes away from handhelds, not because phones can do what handheld does, but before people arent gonna want to carry those two things are the same time.

Nintendo is the only folks that can have any success with handhelds because they have a legacy and they have a supper loyal handheld fan base, and their games are also kid friendly. Sony has never been able to capture the little kids market.

Anyways, it doesnt look like Sony will make another. And the few devs studios that worked on handhelds have moved up to developing for PS4 (BEND Studios making Days Gone and the people who made PSP GOW games made the shitty The Order 1886, The next Gravity Rush game is on PS4, etc.)

RonThallsBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RonThallsBalls
Member since 2016 • 348 Posts

The vita is perfect the way it is. What they NEED to do is lower the price to $100 and properly promote the things capabilities like remote play and the differences between it's and nintendos library of games.

They were way off base last fall when they said the market was bad 'cause of ios gaming and nintendo's dominance. Gaming on ios sucks complete balls and nintendo caters to a very specific audience so I don't see any overlap there either. Don't worry guys, when I become director of marketing, I'll sort 'em out. ?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I don't believe so. Sony is taking huge risks and making a huge investment in VR and cloud-based gaming (PS Now). I believe they see their gaming business's future as offering immersive gaming with VR and game content in streaming. I think they are conceding the mobile market to Nintendo and cell phones, with the knowledge that even the wildly popular Nintendo handhelds are likely living on borrowed time against the data phone industry monster (despite "core" gamers vastly preferring button-based controls)

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

If they do, I won't buy it. PSV was the one Playstation that was a let down. It's the Dreamcast of Playstation in terms of being killed so quickly but Dreamcast had way better games.

It's the only Playstation I regret buying.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#11 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

@ronthallsballs said:

The vita is perfect the way it is. What they NEED to do is lower the price to $100 and properly promote the things capabilities like remote play and the differences between it's and nintendos library of games.

They were way off base last fall when they said the market was bad 'cause of ios gaming and nintendo's dominance. Gaming on ios sucks complete balls and nintendo caters to a very specific audience so I don't see any overlap there either. Don't worry guys, when I become director of marketing, I'll sort 'em out. ?

If the Vita did drop to $149.99 or lower I would buy one.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

I really hope they do. I'm a big fan of handhelds. And they aren't dead. Look at the 3ds.

Atomolog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Atomolog
Member since 2016 • 195 Posts

@undefined: I would love aps vita 2 since I own already 2 vitas and 2new3dsxl. Make it a phone vita!!! A super phone with AAA titles in there. Instead of a 600 phone I would buy a vita 2 phone what you guys think?

YoungDavid77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 YoungDavid77
Member since 2011 • 70 Posts

@kend0_kap0ni said:

I hope not.

Handhelds are a tough market, mostly because there isnt much software companies that are willing to invest in it (devs making games for them).

Now with phones, that takes away from handhelds, not because phones can do what handheld does, but before people arent gonna want to carry those two things are the same time.

[b]Nintendo is the only folks that can have any success with handhelds because they have a legacy and they have a supper loyal handheld fan base, and their games are also kid friendly. Sony has never been able to capture the little kids market.[/b]

Anyways, it doesnt look like Sony will make another. And the few devs studios that worked on handhelds have moved up to developing for PS4 (BEND Studios making Days Gone and the people who made PSP GOW games made the shitty The Order 1886, The next Gravity Rush game is on PS4, etc.)

Problem with 3DS been a kid friendly handheld because it doesn't get no support for adult gamer , I don't see adult gamer with a 3DS anyway.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Hope not. They made a wicked system but didn't support it. What were they thinking?!?

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

@YoungDavid77 said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:

I hope not.

[b]Nintendo is the only folks that can have any success with handhelds because they have a legacy and they have a supper loyal handheld fan base, and their games are also kid friendly. Sony has never been able to capture the little kids market.[/b]

Problem with 3DS been a kid friendly handheld because it doesn't get no support for adult gamer , I don't see adult gamer with a 3DS anyway.

I got one :)

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

Almost definitely not. They lost the vast majority of their install base this gen. There's no reason to expect it to return. Smartphones killed their handheld division. We should be glad at least Nintendo survived it.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

As much as I would love to see a beefed up PS Vita (maybe a smartphone mix design) I doubt it will happen at all. While the hardware itself even today can produce stunning games and the screen is gorgeous the software support isn't there anymore.

I still have mine but it will go towards the trade in value once Neo is announced.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I highly doubt they will... which is a shame because the Vita is a cool bit of kit.

YoungDavid77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 YoungDavid77
Member since 2011 • 70 Posts

@garywood69 said:

Almost definitely not. They lost the vast majority of their install base this gen. There's no reason to expect it to return. Smartphones killed their handheld division. We should be glad at least Nintendo survived it.

Problem with smartphone game is the touch screen control, doesn't look fun at all. I try to play GTA III on an iPhone but it's not the same on an console. I think Sony will failed on the PlayStation VR because they put there money on it, like other Sony other unlit had failed and here are the list

Pocket Station: Was going to be release in the US back in 1999 and it was an answer to Nintendo Gameboy

PlayStation Move: Didn't do so well because Xbox Kinect out sold the PS Move

For one Nintendo 3DS is gear towards little kids and young adult because but most of Nintendo fan base is. 3DS doesn't have the games that I want to play because they are too kiddy for my taste. PSP was much better then DS to me because PSP was gear toward older gamer. They had a better game line up then PS Vita, it sad that Sony will let the PS Vita died but they will mostly discontinue it here in the US this year or early next year. Many of the retailers like Walmart, Best Buy, Target and even GameStop aren't pulling them on there stock anymore. They only way you can buy a used PS Vita and games are at GameStop, pawn shop and even online. If Sony add a HDD on to the PS Vita (16GB-64GB) then it would sell with out the SD cards. Nintendo is the only one left on the handheld market but Vita did had some better games then 3DS because most if the 3DS games were too kiddy

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#21 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

What I really think Sony should do is keep the Vita around as is. But if they did release a successor, I might be interested.

What I think Sony needs to do is give a little more love to the Vita, maybe develop some more big core titles for the system or improve system features and performance with updates. One thing it would be cool to be able to do is download my purchased Vita games straight to my Content Manager program on my computer, and then transfer them over to my Vita. That would save me a hell of a lot of time going out somewhere that has wifi and waiting a few hours to download a game.

Might also be a bit off-topic, but I still don't get why so many of you are against handhelds to begin with. I still don't care for smartphone games, I don't see why anyone would prefer gaming on those to traditional game systems - cram all of the VR tech into them as you want, they are still stinkers compared to normal video games. Likewise, I don't see how console gaming is necessarily 'better' than handheld gaming - it requires a lot more and is more expensive, really. With handheld gaming, I can plop down and play anywhere, and not disturb anyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#22 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@SOedipus: I would argue that Sony did support the Vita, but many other companies didn't, and that was the problem. Right out of the gate the Vita had amazing first-party support with physical and digital titles, and they continued to release acclaimed games for the system (Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, Freedom Wars, etc) over the ensuing years. The Vita received plenty of Japanese developer support - resulting in the kinds of games that I enjoy. It was other developers that failed the Vita.

That said, maybe Sony could have done more to market the Vita, and do more with it than relegate it to its place as a companion device to the PS4. I think by that point, their insistence on using proprietary memory cards had created too much of an entry barrier for the system to begin with.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#23 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Coolyfett votes NO. The PS Handheld ship has sailed and sunk. It was a good run though. Its not wise to have too many devices on the market at once. Its all about PSVR right now and PS4. PS3 is still getting supported and it is 10 years old. Coolyfett is thinking about getting one of the PSTV boxes and setting it up a PS plug and play console. The PSP was a great system. Coolyfett got plenty of run out of that machine. PlayStation should just focus on more games for the PS4 and PSVR. Let Nintendo have the handheld market.

Tonicito614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tonicito614
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

@YoungDavid77: i must say this friend, many people know that the vita has lots of potential. it an excellent hardware. To me its by far better than a touch screen gameplay touch phones. And to blame Sony's Vita failure on the phone market is bullshit. Also to say not many people want to carry more devices is another crack of shit. i carry an ipod, tablet and yes my PsVita to this day.... i know that all sony and developers need to do is to release a hord of tripple a games and youll see how many people will flock to the vitas again... yes AAA games alonside ps4 games like Call of Duties, Resident evil.. and in the makes Agony!!!!! i will not play bullshit touch games in place of my handheld which is the Vita... as for the switch, i will not get it!!!!

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

If the next PSP has internal memory or used regular SD or MicroSD cards as for external memory then it might have a chance. What killed the Vita IMO were the incredibly expensive memory cards. Memory cards that never had a price drop. I've been wanting a Vita since day 1 but those fucking memory cards, Jesus Christ. I don't think I'll be buying a Vita until 10 years from now.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

No, and even if they do, if they support it like they did with Vita, there is no way I'm getting it.

NIS seems to be jumping ship to Switch already, and I hope Koei and Falcom follows the suit.

Johny_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Johny_47
Member since 2009 • 1264 Posts

If they can actually learn from their past mistakes they might just do something great. Since the first psp came out, I've always wondered why they didn't just have a ps2 controller, the two parts that fit in both hands nicely and just have a nice tidy screen in the middle, maybe the hardware wasn't around to do that back then but I'd bloody love to have that, it would be as perfect as they're gonna get to such a word, proper cool.

Similar to how the nintendo switch is doing it now, it could be a screen and you just connect the two parts of the controller onto either side of the screen, it just has to fit in the hands lovely like the old dualshock controllers, and with batteries getting even smaller, lighter, energy efficient, could easily have a good size LED screen. And don't be so uptight with stupid official sd cards too.

Sony missed a huge opportunity to have classics from the ps1 and ps2 days to work with the ps vita too, another idea that could work, even if it was a bit crude using an emulator like epsxe, you still got the nice playstation controls in your hands.

Do it Sony.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#28 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Johny_47:

The PS Vita does play ps1 and PSP games though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Can't tell if Nintendo people who don't want Sony to, or actual Sony fans who don't want it cause they brainwashed by Nintendo fans into not liking Vita and believing anyone who thinks Vita is dead.

Sony had patents pop up in 2016, and again in 2017. The facts are, Sony could easily offer some kind of hand held or PlayStation accessory that involves a screen.

Vita has Remote Play, why wouldn't all PS4 owners want one? I could understand if PS4 gamers who don't like Japanese games not being interested, but man, Vita is like the best thing to own with a PS4. I just barely got my PS4 Pro, and I already want Vita. I mean my 3DS has some decent games, but half the reason to own it was Pokemon, and after that it is mostly 3rd party support that make it worth owning.

jamesj015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jamesj015

So we have just witnessed the release of the Nintendo Switch. I totally see Sony making a Followon from the Vita and the PlayStation 4 Pro as a console that can be Both a home console and a handheld (tbh we already have this with remote play) but there is still an opportunity for another handheld by Sony. They just need to get game developers on board long before they announce the console so the release is hyped.

Does anyone agree with me.

One of the other things that I feel could be done to make the Vita more appealing is make the User Interface more like PlayStation 4's interface. This will not only make more sense with remote play but it will look a hell of a lot more appealing.

[UPDATE] - Does anyone recommended PlayStation TV along with the Vita for playing games at home and then when your off out whip out the memory card and cartridge if you have one and pop it in the vita and away you go.

It sounds good but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Avatar image for supergamer_1997
supergamer_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 supergamer_1997

I was just thinking of using my vita today and playing some killzone mercenary which I really see it as the best psvita game due to its gameplay and graphics. I really had fun with remembering how the vita plays. Iam really sad that they didn't support with more games, it is really a great device that deserved more than that.

wildhoney66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 wildhoney66
Member since 2008 • 324 Posts

i agree it is sad, and it ONLY flopped not because of mobile devices but because they did really no advertising for it. yeah some was there for when it was 1st out but i can't think of anything on tv i've seen on tv at all around here about it. i can't remember about it being promoted even when it 1st came out. i think if they did promote the shit out of it than it could be a hit. i mean hell the 3DS is a great little system and that's not that old what a year older? and that's still currently getting games for it. i can't remember how much promotion i saw for that one. i dunno about on tv, but in various magazines i like i see ads for the 3DS and that's something ya know?

yeah i remember playstation tv. i don't have that but a guy at work does. i dunno if he still does. i wonder if that's even still supported? i mean for the people who well did end up buying it. in short can it even still be used?

FearTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FearTheNight
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

Not only did they not promote it I think they abandoned it pretty quickly. It almost felt like it was a side project that was quickly cast away when the numbers didn't come in. I'd like to see them officially support mobile devices by which I mean all mobile devices not just the Sony Xperia.

Ryan78134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By Ryan78134
Member since 2014 • 218 Posts

I've voted yes, but more out of hope than anything. As a PS Vita owner, it is probably one of the best handheld consoles ever invented, HOWEVER, did not gain the third-party support early on to really gain momentum. Apart from indie titles, the majority of games on the console were lazy ports and then Sony lost interest with very little first party support.

Playing The Swindle on PS Vita is one of my favourite gaming memories, the game is perfect on handheld.

If Sony were to invest in a new handheld, they would have to ensure a great range of first party exclusives, and invest in supporting indie developers/third party developers to create games specifically for the console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I sure hope they do.

People don't realize this but people loved PSP like crazy, and Vita was like 1-2 mistakes from being epic. I think if they take all the mistakes and learn from them and release PSP3, people would go nuts for it.

However, with them putting PS4 games on the PS Now, they removed any hope I had at a handheld coming that uses PS Now.

At Sony's E3 event, they implied all PS1 through 3 games would be on some cloud, aka PS Now, yet all they did was PS3 games. Which isn't terrible, cause a ton of the classics were put in trilogy collections, but it still sucks ass that PS2 games are stuck on PS3, and that all my PS1 games are only good for PS3/Vita. I just wanted 1 new hand held, without the downfalls of Vita, so I had 1 handheld that did it all. PS1, 2 and 3, games, but offered its own ports of PS4 games the way Vita is now with Japan.

wildhoney66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 wildhoney66
Member since 2008 • 324 Posts

honestly i could care less about them mobile games as i'm one of the RARE ones who don't own a celly and even if i did i see no point in having games on it as a Celly is what you talk to people with on. NOT to play games yes you can disagree with me and that's fine and that's fine if people play games on theirs but this is just how i how i feel that's all. having said that i think Sony could do mobile and another hand held and if they support it like they SHOULD you know what? to quote Field of Dreams if you build it they will come. and they meaning the fans of course, and the AAA also may come as well if they are approached as well. i mean hell look at the Wii U for example i've heard nothing but how much of a failure that was compared to how big the Wii was back in (2006) and that's because all the press that Nintendo gave it. and

i don't remember if i saw anything on tv for the wii U but for the switch i am seeing some stuff on tv for it and you know what? the new system is doing pretty damn good so far. you never know if the vita had been done properly Sony would have actually gave a damn about it and we would yeah still have indie games for it but they'd also still be making AAA tittles for it as well and it wouldn't have been such a failure at all. but than what the hell do i know?