Will ps4 have backwards compatibality??

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slystallion26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 slystallion26
Member since 2005 • 819 Posts

How incredibly awesome would it be to have 3 generation of games playable on a system. However,Sony needs to be able to implement a better initial strategy than they used with the ps3. Blu-ray should still be the format so sony sholdn't have to worry about insane costs by then as blu-ray will be as cheap as dvd players today. And this time sony needs a 299 initial price point. 399 at the most! I can afford a ton of ps3's if i wanted to now but back in 2006 when i was still in college broke, 600 dollars for a system was a huge stretch considering i didn't even have an hdtv at the time....hdtv's should also be standard by say 2012

In other words i expect a much better initial strategy for the ps4

but the insane initial prices have to go...and ps4 bc is a must to build upon the playstation brand

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
WHere is the option " Shut up TC PS3 is barely out yet"?
Falkien06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Falkien06
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts
True but I am sure Sony will try to add BC to the next gen due to complaints and stuff but I don't blame them you buy a PS3 FOR PS3 GAMES... right..
Trx07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Trx07
Member since 2007 • 1851 Posts
WHere is the option " Shut up TC PS3 is barely out yet"?rogerjak
I vote this =D
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
It should.
Blaiyze1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Blaiyze1
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts

[QUOTE="rogerjak"]WHere is the option " Shut up TC PS3 is barely out yet"?Trx07
I vote this =D

I vote this aswell... and BTW can someone ressurect this in about 7 years time so we can all put our input in. But for my opinion today yes it will have BC coz it should still be on a blu-ray disc.

Trx07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Trx07
Member since 2007 • 1851 Posts

[QUOTE="Trx07"][QUOTE="rogerjak"]WHere is the option " Shut up TC PS3 is barely out yet"?Blaiyze1

I vote this =D

I vote this aswell... and BTW can someone ressurect this in about 7 years time so we can all put our input in. But for my opinion today yes it will have BC coz it should still be on a blu-ray disc.

ahaha looolz
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
They will initially add it and charge an exhorbitant amount of money, with the intent on proving to Microsoft and Nintendo that they can **** up all they want and still sell their product. Only to then nix it in the next "flavor of the month edition" unit they release.
True but I am sure Sony will try to add BC to the next gen due to complaints and stuff but I don't blame them you buy a PS3 FOR PS3 GAMES... right.. Falkien06
No. You buy a ps3 because your PS2 (and/or PS1 too) have all died, and you've no other way of playing all those PlayStation 1/2 discs you've got in your collection. PC emulation for playstation 1 (much less ps2) still sucks horrifically, as I've yet to get a single one to work nearly as well as Bleem! did, and god help you to try to get an uber-powered system that could run ps2 games properly. Because Sony sued the hell out of anyone that did make an emulator that was worth a damn (which really sucks, because Bleem actually didn't infringe copyright and did work very well), we have to deal with ponying up the cost of a ps3 if we still... Oh, wait. now Sony wants to neuter the ps3 to make us have to buy a ps2 all over again. :roll: So it's either spend $800 on ebay for a "good" hardware BC PS3 or say goodbye to all those great games you'd built up in the past.
trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#9 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts

Yes, it will.

I know this because I'm from the future, unlike any of you.

Blaiyze1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blaiyze1

They will initially add it and charge an exhorbitant amount of money, with the intent on proving to Microsoft and Nintendo that they can **** up all they want and still sell their product. Only to then nix it in the next "flavor of the month edition" unit they release.[QUOTE="Falkien06"]True but I am sure Sony will try to add BC to the next gen due to complaints and stuff but I don't blame them you buy a PS3 FOR PS3 GAMES... right.. codezer0
No. You buy a ps3 because your PS2 (and/or PS1 too) have all died, and you've no other way of playing all those PlayStation 1/2 discs you've got in your collection. PC emulation for playstation 1 (much less ps2) still sucks horrifically, as I've yet to get a single one to work nearly as well as Bleem! did, and god help you to try to get an uber-powered system that could run ps2 games properly. Because Sony sued the hell out of anyone that did make an emulator that was worth a damn (which really sucks, because Bleem actually didn't infringe copyright and did work very well), we have to deal with ponying up the cost of a ps3 if we still... Oh, wait. now Sony wants to neuter the ps3 to make us have to buy a ps2 all over again. :roll: So it's either spend $800 on ebay for a "good" hardware BC PS3 or say goodbye to all those great games you'd built up in the past.

^^^ :o . But all true. Although i wonder how we went from the ps4 back to talking about the ps3 and ps2, but anyways yes it is a pricy matter and the problem (if you can call it that) is Blu-ray Sony thought it was going to be a hit and with the downfall of HD-DVD it looked really promising... but nothing much really happened if people actually had more interest in Blu-ray then they would definately go to the PS3 as the cheapest player and you get a free gaming console... this would bring the price down, but since no-ones really buying into blu-ray then sony has to cut some corners thus taking out BC it might not be much but its the only thing they can spare.

slystallion26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 slystallion26

They will initially add it and charge an exhorbitant amount of money, with the intent on proving to Microsoft and Nintendo that they can **** up all they want and still sell their product. Only to then nix it in the next "flavor of the month edition" unit they release.[QUOTE="Falkien06"]True but I am sure Sony will try to add BC to the next gen due to complaints and stuff but I don't blame them you buy a PS3 FOR PS3 GAMES... right.. codezer0

Exactly! to get a good ps3 with bc you have to pay 600-700 dollars for a USED 60gb!! If that doesn't show the demand for systems with bc i don't know what does...

I understand that they need to sell these new systems at a good price point due to their initial mistakes...but i'm just hoping that they implement a better more cost effective strategy so they can improve a better bc and emulator that plays all 3 generations of playstation

slystallion26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 slystallion26

sony's recent actions concerning bc have you questioning the future of it....before the ps3 it seemed like a certain thing that bc was going to go on for generations of playstations...it was something that was highly touted by sony themselves....you just never thought it would go away.

Now we wonder is it gone for good or will it make a return on the new systems

And i understand many of you are kool-aid drinkers who will defend their brand to the death but come on folks a spade is a spade and you gotta call it how you see it even if it is your favorite brand

Blaiyze1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blaiyze1
Sony's view on it also could be to take control of some PS2 players... making them keep their ps2's and move up 2 ps3's.. in the back of their mind the fact is (much like me) when ever i like i can go back 2 my ps2 and play my games.
realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

Why would you want to play old-gen games anyway, its actually better without it if you ask me .

pbot1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pbot1981
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
too human sure didn't get a 9.3, and MGS4 sure wasn't announced for the 360.
slystallion26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 slystallion26

too human sure didn't get a 9.3, and MGS4 sure wasn't announced for the 360.pbot1981

wrong thread????

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 codezer0

Why would you want to play old-gen games anyway, its actually better without it if you ask me .

realistic44
Why would you (re)pay to have a download copy of a game you already had on disk? Why would you wait for a remake that may never happen when you already have the original game in question? There are many, many reasons to still play old-gen games. If you can't see it, you're just as delusional as the people you try to discredit.
x2926014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 x2926014
Member since 2006 • 1372 Posts

The ps3 just got released why are you already talking about the ps4?

Reminder:This is a ps3 forum wait till the ps4 forum exists...

newb16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 newb16
Member since 2007 • 1089 Posts

too human sure didn't get a 9.3, and MGS4 sure wasn't announced for the 360.pbot1981

Listen fanboy what does that have to do with the ps4? Why dont you just stay on topic?

supermichael11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 supermichael11
Member since 2008 • 419 Posts

No. You buy a ps3 because your PS2 (and/or PS1 too) have all died, and you've no other way of playing all those PlayStation 1/2 discs you've got in your collection. PC emulation for playstation 1 (much less ps2) still sucks horrifically, as I've yet to get a single one to work nearly as well as Bleem! did, and god help you to try to get an uber-powered system that could run ps2 games properly.

Because Sony sued the hell out of anyone that did make an emulator that was worth a damn (which really sucks, because Bleem actually didn't infringe copyright and did work very well), we have to deal with ponying up the cost of a ps3 if we still...

Oh, wait. now Sony wants to neuter the ps3 to make us have to buy a ps2 all over again. :roll: So it's either spend $800 on ebay for a "good" hardware BC PS3 or say goodbye to all those great games you'd built up in the past.

You are exagerrating on ebay.com the PS3 60GB cost about $300 to $400 the most. Be gratefull USA and Japan got the PS3 60GB with the EE chip, SCEE removed the EE chip when it got released on the PAL PS£ 60GB

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 codezer0

You are exagerrating on ebay.com the PS3 60GB cost about $300 to $400 the most. Be gratefull USA and Japan got the PS3 60GB with the EE chip, SCEE removed the EE chip when it got released on the PAL PS£ 60GB

supermichael11
O RLY? $650 here$850 USD here$950 here$500 + shipping here Way to make yourself look like a fool.
burock76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 burock76
Member since 2008 • 1220 Posts

How incredibly awesome would it be to have 3 generation of games playable on a system. However,Sony needs to be able to implement a better initial strategy than they used with the ps3. Blu-ray should still be the format so sony sholdn't have to worry about insane costs by then as blu-ray will be as cheap as dvd players today. And this time sony needs a 299 initial price point. 399 at the most! I can afford a ton of ps3's if i wanted to now but back in 2006 when i was still in college broke, 600 dollars for a system was a huge stretch considering i didn't even have an hdtv at the time....hdtv's should also be standard by say 2012

In other words i expect a much better initial strategy for the ps4

but the insane initial prices have to go...and ps4 bc is a must to build upon the playstation brand

slystallion26

We'll talk about that when the PS4 comes out. Relax and enjoy your PS3

krimla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 krimla
Member since 2002 • 264 Posts

realistic44

OMG! I'm glad you said that! You just made me realize that my Atari 2600 and Dreamcast are pieces of junk! I need to get rid of these quick or I will be made fun of!:o

Cegaiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 Cegaiga
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts

I rather get the next nintendo console :)

But I couldnt care less at this moment.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
ps4?!?! wtf?....just stop...stop.
supermichael11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 supermichael11

codezer0 there are PS3 60GB that are buy now $400 on ebay.com. I can't post the link it say this "Your message contains a single word over 80 characters in length. This can cause problems for certain browsers, and is not allowed."

Next time check before you call someone a fool. Check ebay if you don't believe and type playstation 3 60GB on ebay.com if you don't believe me.

supermichael11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 supermichael11
There is also the PS3 80GB which still has backward compatible. My point is USA has the EE chip for better BC so I don't know why you are complaining about price, look at Europe we pay more than you guys and SCEE removed the EE chip for worse BC than USA.
mosset5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mosset5
Member since 2006 • 111 Posts
dumbest thread ever!!!! dam@ you guys are ridiculous... let us play our ps3... who cares about ps4 right now!!!!!!!!!!!!
whitefirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 whitefirex
Member since 2006 • 839 Posts
it might.... maybe =/
supermichael11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 supermichael11

Its still too early to talk about PS4 maybe in a fews its ok.

My complain was the SCEE should of gave Europe, Australia ect the EE chip instead of removing it in the PAL version, the NTSC PS3 60GB has the EE chip for better BC but SCEE removed the EE chip for worse BC than USA.

mathias2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mathias2k4
Member since 2004 • 69 Posts
I will sell My 60GB BC PS3 for $600.....hehehe
xxgameheadxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xxgameheadxx
Member since 2007 • 202 Posts

I will sell My 60GB BC PS3 for $600.....hehehemathias2k4

Nice try buddie...lol.....anyway i think the ps4 will have BC because too many idiots complained about the ps3 not having it...the end

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 codezer0

codezer0 there are PS3 60GB that are buy now $400 on ebay.com. I can't post the link it say this "Your message contains a single word over 80 characters in length. This can cause problems for certain browsers, and is not allowed."

Next time check before you call someone a fool. Check ebay if you don't believe and type playstation 3 60GB on ebay.com if you don't believe me.

supermichael11
I did go to eBay. There are none. The cheapest *new* 60GB ps3 is still $500(+ shipping). And I'd posted at least two links with them being more than $800 now.
There is also the PS3 80GB which still has backward compatible. My point is USA has the EE chip for better BC so I don't know why you are complaining about price, look at Europe we pay more than you guys and SCEE removed the EE chip for worse BC than USA.supermichael11
Because the softwareBC is not as good as the hardware BC.
slystallion26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 slystallion26

dumbest thread ever!!!! dam@ you guys are ridiculous... let us play our ps3... who cares about ps4 right now!!!!!!!!!!!!mosset5

yeh because you should never ever talk about the future:roll:

honestly it just feels like yesterday that i was so hyped about the 05 e3 and in amazement about what the new systems would bring...about 2010 they will be showing the new systems at e3 with probably 2012 release dates...thats only 2 years from now

and again the recent bc moves make you wonder about how it will be implemented in the future...

i mean on sports forums they never talk about how rookies will progress or how moves made today will affect a team 3 yrs down the road:roll:

stop being kool-aid drinkers

xxgameheadxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xxgameheadxx
Member since 2007 • 202 Posts
i have a question...my 60gb isn't working at the time being...so when i send it to repair, would they mess with it and take out the hardwear bc and replace it with the softwear
slystallion26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 slystallion26
I doubt it...the ee is built in as a chip
lextexrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lextexrex
Member since 2003 • 1311 Posts
Sony will be using a new format for their system... like every new system they released.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
It will be quite a few years before PS4 arrives, we can't predict the future. :)
realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 realistic44
[QUOTE="realistic44"]

codezer0

Why would you (re)pay to have a download copy of a game you already had on disk? Why would you wait for a remake that may never happen when you already have the original game in question? There are many, many reasons to still play old-gen games. If you can't see it, you're just as delusional as the people you try to discredit.

Im not trying to discredit anybody i just think the system is better without so they can focus on the new gen games

and less on the old gen ones. truly i never go back to my playstation 2 games, and im looking forward to the ones that are coming so for the ps3. imo.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 realistic44
[QUOTE="realistic44"]

krimla

OMG! I'm glad you said that! You just made me realize that my Atari 2600 and Dreamcast are pieces of junk! I need to get rid of these quick or I will be made fun of!:o

Lol i didnt mean it like that :lol:

Dreamcast is a legendary system i wouldnt sell it if they are force to cut me off limb from limb :P

Im just saying for the sony owners why would you go back playing ps2 if there is some many awesome games coming out this gen. by now i just forgot about bc .

yanyan1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 yanyan1988
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Why are you talking about this now??? They plan to make the ps3 last 10 years....

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 realistic44

Tc i dont mean to bring you down, but it just to early to talk about the ps4 now :P

sounds like a kinda tight idea though :)

slystallion26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 slystallion26

Sony will be using a new format for their system... like every new system they released.lextexrex

there won't be a major format change till at least 2018...by 2012 blu-ray will be hitting its stride and be the dvd of the time...unless something comes along that happens to be better than hd...blu-rays will be perfectly fine and will be the industry standard

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts
You got a long wait-about 8 years perhaps.And NO i cant see that it will,if ever produced,have backwards compatibality,after all,PS3 now hasn't got it.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 codezer0

Im just saying for the sony owners why would you go back playing ps2 if there is some many awesome games coming out this gen. by now i just forgot about bc .

realistic44
Because after buying the 60GB ps3, I now can't afford any ps3 games, and may not be able to do so for a while.
supermichael11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 supermichael11
[QUOTE="supermichael11"]

codezer0

I did go to eBay. There are none. The cheapest *new* 60GB ps3 is still $500(+ shipping). And I'd posted at least two links with them being more than $800 now.
There is also the PS3 80GB which still has backward compatible. My point is USA has the EE chip for better BC so I don't know why you are complaining about price, look at Europe we pay more than you guys and SCEE removed the EE chip for worse BC than USA.supermichael11
Because the softwareBC is not as good as the hardware BC.

I see what you ment, you ment new condition PS3 60GB now it makes sense, I was looking at the used condition PS3 GB sorry my bad.

But still in Europe there never was and there never will be a PS3 with full hardware just software.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 realistic44
[QUOTE="realistic44"]

codezer0

Because after buying the 60GB ps3, I now can't afford any ps3 games, and may not be able to do so for a while.

I may understand that point, money is the real issue here, even with a job its hard to afford a ps3 system.

due to paying bills,payin people money back well for my case :P , and buying clothes for school :D

navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
SollidSnake_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 SollidSnake_
Member since 2008 • 2991 Posts
i didnt vote in the poll. this is ridiculous.. who thinks about the ps4 when the ps3 hasnt even reached it's "Golden Era".. jeez..