will ps3 ever get an update that allows u to play custom soundtracks in-game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bakingman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bakingman04
Member since 2009 • 114 Posts

id love to see this update come sooner than later

BoD_GOA_French

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 BoD_GOA_French
Member since 2006 • 971 Posts

bakingman04

We already can. Well only in some games, its up to the developers to put it in the game.

taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts
[QUOTE="BoD_GOA_French"][QUOTE="bakingman04"]

We already can. Well oin certanly in games, its up to the developers to put it in the game.

can it be done with GTA IV?
BoD_GOA_French

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BoD_GOA_French
Member since 2006 • 971 Posts
[QUOTE="BoD_GOA_French"][QUOTE="bakingman04"]

taplok

We already can. Well oin certanly in games, its up to the developers to put it in the game.

can it be done with GTA IV?

Not sure about GTAIV.

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

It's up to the DEVELOPERS of the games, not Sony. The PS3 is custom soundtrack ready. It's the developers that need to actually put it out on their games.

And no, it cannot be done in GTA IV.

CTUDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CTUDude
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts
Sony can't make it mandatory because Microsoft owns the patent for In-Game music. The only way Sony can get around that is if the Devs work it in themselves.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
It's already possible, but most developers can't be bothered to implement it.
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#8 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
Sony can't make it mandatory because Microsoft owns the patent for In-Game music. The only way Sony can get around that is if the Devs work it in themselves.CTUDude
Yea, That's possible
jyoung312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jyoung312
Member since 2003 • 4971 Posts
[QUOTE="CTUDude"]Sony can't make it mandatory because Microsoft owns the patent for In-Game music. The only way Sony can get around that is if the Devs work it in themselves.Young_Charter
Yea, That's possible

Yep, we have the ability but only two games I know use it and those games are first party games Warhawk and Motorstorm:PR. I really wish more games would use it bc it rocks in those games. I'm looking at you Burnout Paradise to add this feature and given Criterion's track record with improving the game I am sure if we demand it they will give it
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I honestly couldn't care less about it. Most games already have their own music. If they don't I have a stereo and MP3 player. I don't need my games console to play music.
AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AGMing
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts
[QUOTE="Young_Charter"][QUOTE="CTUDude"]Sony can't make it mandatory because Microsoft owns the patent for In-Game music. The only way Sony can get around that is if the Devs work it in themselves.jyoung312
Yea, That's possible

Yep, we have the ability but only two games I know use it and those games are first party games Warhawk and Motorstorm:PR. I really wish more games would use it bc it rocks in those games. I'm looking at you Burnout Paradise to add this feature and given Criterion's track record with improving the game I am sure if we demand it they will give it

this may come as bit of a surprise but you can already play custom music in burnout.
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#12 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Sony can't make it mandatory because Microsoft owns the patent for In-Game music. The only way Sony can get around that is if the Devs work it in themselves.CTUDude

You would think that even the most casual gamers would know this by now.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts
Its a memory issue, on the 360 developers have to design a game with M$ stander level of live and background stuff working. the 360 alto has the same amount of 512mb of ram, it is more flexable then the PS3 memory as its total ram for everything can be used as developers want (ie. i could use 300mb for video and the rest for whatever or however they want to mix and match it). On the PS3 it has a total of 512mb of ram it has dedicated memory 256 for video and 256 for system. thats how you have to use it (i think there are ways to get around it but thats is what it is). Because Sony doesnt require developers to take in mind more then the PS3 OS is taking as of right now, I really don't see how they could release an update to implicate background music. Altho it may not take much memory at all to put it in there, it was not a day one feature so its left up to the developers to do as they want. As it may cause earlyer PS3 games issues not to work if the OS is taking more memory then it used too.
AGMing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AGMing
Member since 2003 • 1694 Posts
Its a memory issue, on the 360 developers have to design a game with M$ stander level of live and background stuff working. the 360 alto has the same amount of 512mb of ram, it is more flexable then the PS3 memory as its total ram for everything can be used as developers want (ie. i could use 300mb for video and the rest for whatever or however they want to mix and match it). On the PS3 it has a total of 512mb of ram it has dedicated memory 256 for video and 256 for system. thats how you have to use it (i think there are ways to get around it but thats is what it is). Because Sony doesnt require developers to take in mind more then the PS3 OS is taking as of right now, I really don't see how they could release an update to implicate background music. Altho it may not take much memory at all to put it in there, it was not a day one feature so its left up to the developers to do as they want. As it may cause earlyer PS3 games issues not to work if the OS is taking more memory then it used too.gagit811
thats just a giant pile of steaming turd. the only reason the PS3 does not have ingame music is because microsoft hold the patent for the feature.
LittleYoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 LittleYoshi
Member since 2004 • 1490 Posts
warhawk has it own in-game custom soundtracks
gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts
thats just a giant pile of steaming turd. the only reason the PS3 does not have ingame music is because microsoft hold the patent for the feature.AGMing
that really sucks the PS3 can't have INGAME MUSIC because M$ owns the patent . All we get is sound effects and no music at all :( what you say may be true, but I ensure you mine is true to. and the truth is who really wants in-game music from other sources anyway. it kills the immersion of the game unless its some type of racing game.
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#17 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

[QUOTE="gagit811"]Its a memory issue, on the 360 developers have to design a game with M$ stander level of live and background stuff working. the 360 alto has the same amount of 512mb of ram, it is more flexable then the PS3 memory as its total ram for everything can be used as developers want (ie. i could use 300mb for video and the rest for whatever or however they want to mix and match it). On the PS3 it has a total of 512mb of ram it has dedicated memory 256 for video and 256 for system. thats how you have to use it (i think there are ways to get around it but thats is what it is). Because Sony doesnt require developers to take in mind more then the PS3 OS is taking as of right now, I really don't see how they could release an update to implicate background music. Altho it may not take much memory at all to put it in there, it was not a day one feature so its left up to the developers to do as they want. As it may cause earlyer PS3 games issues not to work if the OS is taking more memory then it used too.AGMing
thats just a giant pile of steaming turd. the only reason the PS3 does not have ingame music is because microsoft hold the patent for the feature.

That sir was not a nice thing to say.....but it sure as heck was funny!!!!:lol:

Amir29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 Amir29
Member since 2007 • 822 Posts

[QUOTE="AGMing"] thats just a giant pile of steaming turd. the only reason the PS3 does not have ingame music is because microsoft hold the patent for the feature.gagit811
that really sucks the PS3 can't have INGAME MUSIC because M$ owns the patent . All we get is sound effects and no music at all :( what you say may be true, but I ensure you mine is true to. and the truth is who really wants in-game music from other sources anyway. it kills the immersion of the game unless its some type of racing game.

You can not patent a feature really. You can only patent what you call that feature. The slightest differences can get around the patent. Sony has already done it and it's up to devs to implement it. In game music has been around since Ridge Racer on PSOne. But, if the devs don't want it implemented, it won't be.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts
Killzone 2 will allow custom soundtracks.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 parvie
Yup. Warhawk is the type of game that needs it.
bakingman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bakingman04
Member since 2009 • 114 Posts
Killzone 2 will allow custom soundtracks.parvie
really? thats wassup i know mlb08 has custom soundtracks.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 parvie
[QUOTE="parvie"]Killzone 2 will allow custom soundtracks.bakingman04
really? thats wassup i know mlb08 has custom soundtracks.

Yes. My source was Gamestop.com (not sure if it's reliable) and if you click on Killzone 2 and select "View back of the box", it shows the back cover and you can see on the top it says "custom soundtracks".