Will I be disappointed with a PS3 running on my 27" SDTV?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

testament1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 testament1
Member since 2004 • 334 Posts

Okay, so I'm seriously considering getting a PS3 in the next couple weeks. However, I'm not fortunate enough to be rocking a 1080p HDTV right now, so I'm worried that all the games will look...crappy. Should I be worried?

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

Nothing to worry about. It will look just fine.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#3 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Okay, so I'm seriously considering getting a PS3 in the next couple weeks. However, I'm not fortunate enough to be rocking a 1080p HDTV right now, so I'm worried that all the games will look...crappy. Should I be worried?

testament1

Just as my little bro has said, you'll be fine. An HDTV is recommended "BUT" not necessary:)....but as soon as the opportunity presents itself...get one.

idk761

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 idk761
Member since 2008 • 3229 Posts
No, I was playing on a SDTV for months before I bought an HDTV. If you don't spoil yourself with HD, then you would probably wouldn't notice the difference, although it is harder to see text/ranks on SD.
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

recommended but not necessary.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

If you have been playing on an SDTV all your life then it wont ruin anything.

Laxer04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Laxer04
Member since 2008 • 1256 Posts

Nothing to worry about. It will look just fine.

Furi-Kun

^^this. i only had a 19" SDTV when i got my ps3 and it was just fine.

hd is very, very nice though. especially for blu ray

GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
I use to play it on a SDTV and it was fine. An HDTV is not needed but recommended to get the best picture and sound out of your games.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Get the PS3 now and start saving up for an HDTV immediately. You'll appreciate it much more once you see the difference in gaming between SD and HD

shafrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 shafrox
Member since 2005 • 349 Posts

SDTV is not at all bad as some say. I bought my PS3 a few weeks ago and for the first week i played it on a 42" HDTV. Now im using a 21" SDTV. Yes, there is lack of quality, but definitely nothing to worry about. I was amazed how great KZ2 looked in my SDTV after playing it on the HDTV for a few days. So no fuss.

Get the HDTV later when you save enough cash :)

FunkyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FunkyNinja
Member since 2008 • 277 Posts

i used to be rocking a sdtv myself for a few months, i bought myself a "acer monitor" ($140) some hdmi cables and hooked it up. Now i basically got a 1080p monitor that costed so little and looks fantastic! and its 21.5 inchs widescreen and i believe its good enough for me.

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

They will look fine, and still be fun to play. Sometimes in some games it is just hard to read the words or similar things.

Swavo69420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Swavo69420
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts
Start saving up... It's totally worth it... It's not HD gaming unless it's in HD... The difference is night and day...
Tim_Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tim_Drake
Member since 2004 • 520 Posts

I have a 27" SDTV and the games look fine to me the only issue is my TV is starting to have lines so sooner or later I will need to upgrade and since SDTV no longer exist in stores I need to go with HDTV.

metalpower08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 metalpower08
Member since 2007 • 1254 Posts

some games the text and maps are hard to read though. But it is still more than playable and still fun.

Hipfireassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hipfireassasin
Member since 2009 • 43 Posts
[QUOTE="shafrox"]

SDTV is not at all bad as some say. I bought my PS3 a few weeks ago and for the first week i played it on a 42" HDTV. Now im using a 21" SDTV. Yes, there is lack of quality, but definitely nothing to worry about. I was amazed how great KZ2 looked in my SDTV after playing it on the HDTV for a few days. So no fuss.

Get the HDTV later when you save enough cash :)

I think its the going back to SD TV after having HD that is hard, When I first hooked my ps3 up to a 32" SD I was just pleased to be playing a new game. When I went back to SD for a while, I really notice how much gamescreen you miss without a widescreen t.v.
amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 amoremono1
Member since 2009 • 386 Posts

Youll probably be disappointed that you didnt get in on some of the the best !@#$ around sooner...

pretzelmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pretzelmeister
Member since 2005 • 1414 Posts
I'm still using an SDTV even after having a PS3 for almost 3 years. It looks fine to me, but some games have visibility issues due to the interface being designed for a HDTV and not an SDTV. On some games I can't even read the some of the smaller font, but it's not really that big of an issue.
magicquebec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 magicquebec
Member since 2006 • 1306 Posts

testament1
YES
herukuti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 herukuti
Member since 2009 • 379 Posts

i will differ with everyone and say that you should wait untill you can grab a hd monitor of some sort.

SillySkeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SillySkeleton
Member since 2008 • 933 Posts

I was blown away after getting my PS3 and starting up MGS4 while on my SDTV. The graphics defintaly won't look 'crappy', but HD TV's just give the games that extra boost. Definately no need to deprive yourself of a PS3 while saving up for a new TV.

Darren-Lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Darren-Lad
Member since 2009 • 175 Posts

a think its a big diff when your wacthing a copy dvd it jumps to sd and when u press the middle botten that looks smugie compred to pressing it when playin a hd game

sturshel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sturshel
Member since 2007 • 177 Posts

It'll be fine bro, gives you something to work for, and one day, yes, one day you will get that HDTV and MWaahhaaaa, mwaahhaaaaa your way into every level, it'll give you a great excuse to re-play all them golden oldies!

GingerDeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GingerDeadMan
Member since 2009 • 807 Posts

Having spent quite a bit of quality time gaming in standard, enhanced and high-definition I can clearly say that an HDTV is all but necessary. Especially if you're playing games with lots of lines, geometry and text. Sports games are an absolute must for HDTV, some other games such as RPGS and what not make it hard to see the text (which can be crucial) unless they're smoothed out with the power of HD higher resolution/quality imagery.

SpectralRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SpectralRave
Member since 2002 • 362 Posts

nope, I play mine on a 32" sdtv. looks fine to me. games still playable.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#26 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

If you have been playing on an SDTV all your life then it wont ruin anything.

RadecSupreme
but it wont make it any better either, try to play dead space on SD, it looks like a PS2 game
chaisemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chaisemon
Member since 2004 • 102 Posts

once you have experienced playing in HD tv, it will be pretty hard to go back to SD.

you can still enjoy playing games on your SD tv. the only difference will be the scaled down graphics and text harder to read. the graphics will look like something thats only a bit better than ps2.

you will have to buy a HD tv one day or another, so let it be now. 1080i if you want to be futureproof. you will enjoy it even more visually.

KaY_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KaY_86
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts
start saving from now cuz it's really worth it..and dnt get a hdtv less than 32'
Lucid1314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lucid1314
Member since 2007 • 332 Posts

I've been playing on a 14 inch SDTV since my 22 Inch broke :/ it's not really horrible. Games like Killzone, Uncharted 2, and MGS4 still looks quite amazing. I would like to get an HD with HDMI cords because the games do look loads better. But on standard def, some games still look amazing. While others kind of look like really great looking Xbox games (mainly anything that uses Unreal engine)

shawty1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 shawty1984
Member since 2007 • 938 Posts

once you have experienced playing in HD tv, it will be pretty hard to go back to SD.

you can still enjoy playing games on your SD tv. the only difference will be the scaled down graphics and text harder to read. the graphics will look like something thats only a bit better than ps2.

you will have to buy a HD tv one day or another, so let it be now. 1080i if you want to be futureproof. you will enjoy it even more visually.

chaisemon

The grpahics are no where near PS2 graphics.