Why Virtua Fighter 5 DOES NOT HAVE ONLINE.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/28/7200 Read it and remember it, from someone who's played every VF game to date. What was said in this article is the cold hard truth. To pull off three Akira counters, followed by a dragon lance followed by a Stun Palm of Doom, requires milisecond accuracy and cannot be done with any lag what so ever. Only true hardcore VF fans know this thus we know online is not possible now.
mastermu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mastermu
Member since 2004 • 665 Posts
They could've had online to please some of the not as hardcore players :P Anyway, I don't care much for this game.
kinq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 kinq
Member since 2004 • 931 Posts
Exactly what the above person posted. To satisfy a percentile of 10% of VF5 players who want accurate precise timing and to let down the other 90% of the rest of the VF5 fans is just idiotic. It's horrible marketing strategy if you ask me.
gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts
[QUOTE="pimperjones"]http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/28/7200 Read it and remember it, from someone who's played every VF game to date. What was said in this article is the cold hard truth. To pull off three Akira counters, followed by a dragon lance followed by a Stun Palm of Doom, requires milisecond accuracy and cannot be done with any lag what so ever. Only true hardcore VF fans know this thus we know online is not possible now.

Hmmmm, interesting.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#5 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
Thats BS.... DOA4 doesnt have any lag at all,
I would luv for VF 5 to have online.... they are just making excuses...
DazKurupt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 DazKurupt
Member since 2006 • 1370 Posts

When ya play doa4 online , you gota check the latency of the opponents you wana play with . Each player has a latency meter if you only play with those with a solid connection it really cuts down the lag to almost non exsistant. Before i noticed this i thought the online play was crappy.

MorisUkunRasik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MorisUkunRasik
Member since 2006 • 1511 Posts
VF fighting style is so slow lag would be unnoticable ZING!
pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pimperjones
The reason why DOA 4 works is because the game is a button masher, you press counter and the guy moves his hand and it gives you like 2 seconds for a connection to occur. Reason why games like Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter have never worked well online is because they require frame per frame accuracy. In Virtua Fighter you hit counter for Akira and it must be exactly the same moment as the opponents attack hits you or the counter won't work. In Street Fighter you must tap forward to parry on each frame of the attack or it won't work. All games that give zero leeway for mistakes are considered hardcore and thus can't be truely be played via online. DOA4 isn't really a true fighting game, its what we call a button masher and yes button mashers can be played online.
MikeinSC2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 MikeinSC2
Member since 2005 • 739 Posts

Again, nobody is going to kill sales to risk alienating fans who'd buy the game regardless.

-=Mike

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

kozzy1234

yes it does but its not noticeable because doa is a fighter that fights based on a per window forbidden>

jacy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jacy123
Member since 2005 • 98 Posts
Still you can offer online without risk, the hardcore players can simply ignore online play, and if they do decide to play a few games online, they at least have the option. I dont think your going to "alienate" the hardcore fans by including an extra feature. Also in the future when the rest of the world offers fiber as the common connection method to your ISP, you will see that lag is not much of a factor (here in japan optical fiber is the norm). I think they missed out when they did not add online and me and many of my coworkers passed on it as a result :(
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
The reason why DOA 4 works is because the game is a button masher, you press counter and the guy moves his hand and it gives you like 2 seconds for a connection to occur. Reason why games like Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter have never worked well online is because they require frame per frame accuracy. In Virtua Fighter you hit counter for Akira and it must be exactly the same moment as the opponents attack hits you or the counter won't work. In Street Fighter you must tap forward to parry on each frame of the attack or it won't work. All games that give zero leeway for mistakes are considered hardcore and thus can't be truely be played via online. DOA4 isn't really a true fighting game, its what we call a button masher and yes button mashers can be played online. pimperjones
DOA4 requires timing and is not button mashing. If an opponent wants to button mash they can. You can button mash in VF5 and still pull off moves so what is your point? If you play against opponents with a solid connections there is 0 lag. There is still hope though because in a recent interview Sega has declined to say if they will use xbox live multiplayer or not. All they said was when they have more information they will share it with the public.
RabbidDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 RabbidDawg
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
Isnt VF5 coming to the 360? And also isnt it going to have multiplayer for the 360? I thought even Gamespot had something on this at one point in time.

If all the above turns out to be true, and the 360 ends up having online with the game, I will feel truly ripped off.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Deihmos
Sega never confirmed if it will or not. Hopefully it does but I guess it will piss off Sony fans.
menduco76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 menduco76
Member since 2006 • 650 Posts

Exactly what the above person posted. To satisfy a percentile of 10% of VF5 players who want accurate precise timing and to let down the other 90% of the rest of the VF5 fans is just idiotic. It's horrible marketing strategy if you ask me.kinq

you believe that?  Trust me..its not a marketing strategy.  Its an excuse.  You know, and I know, that that is in fact bad marketing...that many people would still enjoy the online portion.  Dont you think that professionals who specialize in marketing cant figure that out?  If two regular joes like us can?  Thats an excuse...plain and simple.  They could at least  come up with some other online ideas to counter that problem and give SOME kind of online experience.  ALL xbox 360 games are playable on live...sometimes they have to change the game around because of the lag issues, but its there. 

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pimperjones
[QUOTE="pimperjones"]The reason why DOA 4 works is because the game is a button masher, you press counter and the guy moves his hand and it gives you like 2 seconds for a connection to occur. Reason why games like Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter have never worked well online is because they require frame per frame accuracy. In Virtua Fighter you hit counter for Akira and it must be exactly the same moment as the opponents attack hits you or the counter won't work. In Street Fighter you must tap forward to parry on each frame of the attack or it won't work. All games that give zero leeway for mistakes are considered hardcore and thus can't be truely be played via online. DOA4 isn't really a true fighting game, its what we call a button masher and yes button mashers can be played online. Deihmos
DOA4 requires plenty timign and is not button mashing. You can button mash in VF5 and still pull off moves so what is your point? If you play against opponents with solid connections there is 0 lag. There is still hope though because Sega in a recent interview Sega has declined to say if they will use xbox live multiplayer or not. All they said was when they have more information they will share it with the public.

First of all if you can pull off an Akira SPOD by button mashing I'll buy you a PS3 with Virtua Fighter and a Stick. Second someone mentioned that online play can be achieved if everyone used Fiber and everyone connected via T1, although thats true but that day hasn't come yet and when that day does come I'm sure an online patch for VF5 on PS3 will be available. Untill then why bother putting a feature thats only going frustrate players who know how to play the game. I think it was the right choice for this initial release, to this day I have yet to see a enjoyable Street Fighter online experience without skewed timing due to lag. The day we have fiber and T1 connection at 20 dollars a month, we'll see an VF5 update for online, after all todays games can easily be upgraded.
MikeinSC2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 MikeinSC2
Member since 2005 • 739 Posts

Because the "people who can play the game" are vastly outnumbered by those who, apparently, can't play the same and since the "people who can play the game" will also buy it regardless, Sega has to try and please the other group which is larger and more profitable for them,

-=Mike

RabbidDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 RabbidDawg
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
Sega never confirmed if it will or not. Hopefully it does but I guess it will piss off Sony fans.Deihmos

I hope it does to, but also I could understand there frustration. I have both systems and while I love the PS3 version, to think if I would of waited I couldve played a version that is technically better due to having online will erk me a bit to.

This is what sucks about "timed" exclusives. Its great when it comes out, but even better for another system 3 months later. While I like the PSN, this is why I dont mind paying $50.00 a year for LIVE and dedicated servers  and service run by MS. It seems Sony fans as well as multi-console owners are getting the shaft over all when it comes to online games and features of the PS3.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Deihmos
[QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="pimperjones"]The reason why DOA 4 works is because the game is a button masher, you press counter and the guy moves his hand and it gives you like 2 seconds for a connection to occur. Reason why games like Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter have never worked well online is because they require frame per frame accuracy. In Virtua Fighter you hit counter for Akira and it must be exactly the same moment as the opponents attack hits you or the counter won't work. In Street Fighter you must tap forward to parry on each frame of the attack or it won't work. All games that give zero leeway for mistakes are considered hardcore and thus can't be truely be played via online. DOA4 isn't really a true fighting game, its what we call a button masher and yes button mashers can be played online. pimperjones
DOA4 requires plenty timign and is not button mashing. You can button mash in VF5 and still pull off moves so what is your point? If you play against opponents with solid connections there is 0 lag. There is still hope though because Sega in a recent interview Sega has declined to say if they will use xbox live multiplayer or not. All they said was when they have more information they will share it with the public.

First of all if you can pull off an Akira SPOD by button mashing I'll buy you a PS3 with Virtua Fighter and a Stick. Second someone mentioned that online play can be achieved if everyone used Fiber and everyone connected via T1, although thats true but that day hasn't come yet and when that day does come I'm sure an online patch for VF5 on PS3 will be available. Untill then why bother putting a feature thats only going frustrate players who know how to play the game. I think it was the right choice for this initial release, to this day I have yet to see a enjoyable Street Fighter online experience without skewed timing due to lag. The day we have fiber and T1 connection at 20 dollars a month, we'll see an VF5 update for online, after all todays games can easily be upgraded.

That's why there is a meter to telll you how good is your opponent connection. Simply play with opponents with good connections and i would much rather a game with a little lag than no multiplayer at all. Some of us don't have friends over to play. That works for kids but wouldn't work for some of us adults.
pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pimperjones
There is another more sinister reason that the article doesn't mention and it's Sega still makes a large percent of there profit off Japanese Arcades, which unlike our American counter part are still booming. It's kinda like biting the hand that feeds you for Sega, it doesn't make sense for Sega to deliver an flawed online experience for die hard VF fans while at the same time lower potential arcade revenue by those same exact fans. It's the same guys who will buy VF regardless that will go back to the arcades after perfectling there fav character at home.
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts
They could have easily added online leaderboards or even ghost AI-uploading.  Not having online matches makes total sense to me, not having the other things I mentioned is a pretty serious omission, no matter how great the Single Player is.
DazKurupt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 DazKurupt
Member since 2006 • 1370 Posts

Any game can be made online , regardless of  it being doa or vf or tekken. The likely story is probably , When they began developing  vf5 there was no ps3 network at that time  so its likely they decided to not persue an online feature and delay the game. It would have costed time and money to add an online mode and it probably would have delayed the games release.

You can get around latency issues by having the option to see what a persons latency is and where they reside since that usually has alot to do with it. Im sure they could do other things to remedy lag also. Ya dont have to wait for fiber optic lines to be used worldwide.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Deihmos
There is another more sinister reason that the article doesn't mention and it's Sega still makes a large percent of there profit off Japanese Arcades, which unlike our American counter part are still booming. It's kinda like biting the hand that feeds you for Sega, it doesn't make sense for Sega to deliver an flawed online experience for die hard VF fans while at the same time lower potential arcade revenue by those same exact fans. It's the same guys who will buy VF regardless that will go back to the arcades after perfectling there fav character at home. pimperjones
Simple solution is to keep it offline in Japan because I don't think online gaming is that big over there. Plus arcades are basically dead in the USA. If this game was onlien it would sell so many more copies. Many people wouldn't buy it just because it has no online. Plus VF5 was never big in the USA so I doubt it will sell that many copies.
minos30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 minos30
Member since 2004 • 463 Posts
Tekken and Virtua fighter won't have online play becuase of lag....
jacy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jacy123
Member since 2005 • 98 Posts
There is another more sinister reason that the article doesn't mention and it's Sega still makes a large percent of there profit off Japanese Arcades, which unlike our American counter part are still booming. It's kinda like biting the hand that feeds you for Sega, it doesn't make sense for Sega to deliver an flawed online experience for die hard VF fans while at the same time lower potential arcade revenue by those same exact fans. It's the same guys who will buy VF regardless that will go back to the arcades after perfectling there fav character at home. pimperjones
Huh? Arcades here dont feature video games as the main attractions like elsewhere in the world, here in japan. Perikyura, medal games, UFO catchers and card video games (think yu gi ho) are the what draws the people to come to arcades, not games like vf or any other video game for that matter, those are all relegated to the back of game centers where they collect dust.
So_Young

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 So_Young
Member since 2003 • 703 Posts

The game can be online without a doubt. The only real reason is that Sony will repeat the same error as the ps2 in online department..When Sony will realise that central servers for online console games is essential for online play, all their games will be online.

I'm 90% sure that the Xbox 360 will have online support for this game. I have both system and I choose the ps3 version for the controler, and I'm sure overall, technicaly speaking, the game will run better on the ps3 than the Xbox 360 dur to the fact that in the ps3 version, you can install the game, but if the 360 have online play, its a very bad news for the ps3 version.

That says, the game is great and I enjoy it, but I would like to play with my friends online and the game feels a little dated without online especially for a fighting game.

Master__Shake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Master__Shake
Member since 2002 • 6214 Posts
[QUOTE="pimperjones"]http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/28/7200 Read it and remember it, from someone who's played every VF game to date. What was said in this article is the cold hard truth. To pull off three Akira counters, followed by a dragon lance followed by a Stun Palm of Doom, requires milisecond accuracy and cannot be done with any lag what so ever. Only true hardcore VF fans know this thus we know online is not possible now.

sounds like a total cop out to me..there are people who's lives don't revolve around watching frames in a fighting game and just liek to through down with a friend online....
kelindas02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kelindas02
Member since 2004 • 343 Posts
[QUOTE="Master__Shake"][QUOTE="pimperjones"]http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/28/7200 Read it and remember it, from someone who's played every VF game to date. What was said in this article is the cold hard truth. To pull off three Akira counters, followed by a dragon lance followed by a Stun Palm of Doom, requires milisecond accuracy and cannot be done with any lag what so ever. Only true hardcore VF fans know this thus we know online is not possible now.

sounds like a total cop out to me..there are people who's lives don't revolve around watching frames in a fighting game and just liek to through down with a friend online....

LOL. sad part is. until Sega and namco teams decide that their fighters are ready for online. you're not gonna see them online.

if they feel their fighter won't work properly online (in which i wholeheartedly agree with them) they will leave it offline.  Besides, how many scrubs will follow online leader boards and actually think they're about some ish. when truthfully, they're basic level players.. if the game is online?

if you really wanna play with people in these games, play them in person. it's a whole lot better experience.
and believe you me, if tekken and VF get online and it hits arcade perfect online.. expect the hardcore freaks to constantly rub it in your ear and tell you how to play the game.

also expect the same amount of trash talk you get in a FPS just worser.
hodayathink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hodayathink
Member since 2006 • 113 Posts
[QUOTE="kelindas02"][QUOTE="Master__Shake"][QUOTE="pimperjones"]http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/28/7200 Read it and remember it, from someone who's played every VF game to date. What was said in this article is the cold hard truth. To pull off three Akira counters, followed by a dragon lance followed by a Stun Palm of Doom, requires milisecond accuracy and cannot be done with any lag what so ever. Only true hardcore VF fans know this thus we know online is not possible now.

LOL. sad part is. until Sega and namco teams decide that their fighters are ready for online. you're not gonna see them online.

if they feel their fighter won't work properly online (in which i wholeheartedly agree with them) they will leave it offline.  Besides, how many scrubs will follow online leader boards and actually think they're about some ish. when truthfully, they're basic level players.. if the game is online?

if you really wanna play with people in these games, play them in person. it's a whole lot better experience.
and believe you me, if tekken and VF get online and it hits arcade perfect online.. expect the hardcore freaks to constantly rub it in your ear and tell you how to play the game.

I love the fact that these developers create these good to amazing games and then people think they are too lazy and/or too stupid to include online play. WTF? They didn't include it because they didn't want to. They have their reasons. They don't have to be valid, seeing as this is their game. And the game will still probably be a success in their eyes without it. And while I doubt the 360 version will have vs. online play, it will probably have ghosting and whatnot, which would still suck for Sony people unless a patch is released (possible, but I don't see it as very likely.)
kelindas02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kelindas02
[QUOTE="hodayathink"][QUOTE="kelindas02"][QUOTE="Master__Shake"][QUOTE="pimperjones"]http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/28/7200 Read it and remember it, from someone who's played every VF game to date. What was said in this article is the cold hard truth. To pull off three Akira counters, followed by a dragon lance followed by a Stun Palm of Doom, requires milisecond accuracy and cannot be done with any lag what so ever. Only true hardcore VF fans know this thus we know online is not possible now.

if they feel their fighter won't work properly online (in which i wholeheartedly agree with them) they will leave it offline. Besides, how many scrubs will follow online leader boards and actually think they're about some ish. when truthfully, they're basic level players.. if the game is online?

I love the fact that these developers create these good to amazing games and then people think they are too lazy and/or too stupid to include online play. WTF? They didn't include it because they didn't want to. They have their reasons. They don't have to be valid, seeing as this is their game. And the game will still probably be a success in their eyes without it. And while I doubt the 360 version will have vs. online play, it will probably have ghosting and whatnot, which would still suck for Sony people unless a patch is released (possible, but I don't see it as very likely.)

i'm sorry if you misinterpretted my post into thinking sega and namco are lazy for leaving the games offline. i agree with you 100%. Though VFtv would have been a lot better if you could up/download your match replays onto a server..

would make watching tournaments as they happen a lot more interesting.  and would have gave VFtv a better purpose in life. here's hoping they'll do that in an update patch for the game.
Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hulabaloza
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts
This is stupid.....the game could be played online. It does nothing different or faster than any other game. Unless the developers are complete idiots, they can tweak the gameplay enough to figure in half second delay between user reactions. Every game changes online.....look at any FPS, or any game - mechanics change online. The power of the weapons, the amount of health, etc are all different online than the single player game. If Sega has any clue about what the market wants, it will support online play when it ships for the 360. Otherwise they are making the series a piece of history. I'd put the odds of VF5 online at over 80%.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Deihmos

Sega was just making excuses. They know the game can be done online and for those with sloppy connections let them play offline and those of us with good connections play online. All that is needed is a meter to tell you how good the opponent connection is and problem solved. I am sure the 360 version would have online play. In a recent interview they declined to say if it would or not so I think there is still hope.

What was their excuse for Virtual tennis being offline on the PS3 but online on the 360?

Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts
kozzy1234

Well first your wrong because its impossible to not have any lag. Just because YOU don't notice it, doesn't mean its not there. Even "invisible" lag would affect playing VF.
Master__Shake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Master__Shake
Member since 2002 • 6214 Posts
[QUOTE="kelindas02"][QUOTE="Master__Shake"][QUOTE="pimperjones"]http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/28/7200 Read it and remember it, from someone who's played every VF game to date. What was said in this article is the cold hard truth. To pull off three Akira counters, followed by a dragon lance followed by a Stun Palm of Doom, requires milisecond accuracy and cannot be done with any lag what so ever. Only true hardcore VF fans know this thus we know online is not possible now.

if they feel their fighter won't work properly online (in which i wholeheartedly agree with them) they will leave it offline. Besides, how many scrubs will follow online leader boards and actually think they're about some ish. when truthfully, they're basic level players.. if the game is online?

I'm an old school fighting game player and used to haveMK tourneys in High school adn Tekken tournaments in college, it's just not as easy to play against friends when they live across the country. Sometimes playing with a friend is more important than worrying about lag.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Deihmos
[QUOTE="Master__Shake"][QUOTE="kelindas02"][QUOTE="Master__Shake"][QUOTE="pimperjones"]http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/28/7200 Read it and remember it, from someone who's played every VF game to date. What was said in this article is the cold hard truth. To pull off three Akira counters, followed by a dragon lance followed by a Stun Palm of Doom, requires milisecond accuracy and cannot be done with any lag what so ever. Only true hardcore VF fans know this thus we know online is not possible now.

I'm an old school fighting game player and used to haveMK tourneys in High school adn Tekken tournaments in college, it's just not as easy to play against friends when they live across the country. Sometimes playing with a friend is more important than worrying about lag.

Some people just don't get it. By the way where did you get that Xbox Live gamer pic?
Avatar image for darkangel_78589
darkangel_78589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 darkangel_78589
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts
Good grief....All this crying over such a small detail.  People...Get over it.  Don't like the lack of online play on this game?...Simple...Don't buy it.  No one is forcing your hand.  In any case...I give you a forumla...Take from it what you will, but this is how it works;  P, P ->K...Sarah's two hit punch, and knee lift...No clue on the name...Okay...Here's the problem...The knee, as most know, ends up in a pop-up of the opponent serving as an air combo starter....But, let's say...You hit P...Followed by another P....And, just as you are about to hit the ->K, a split second of lag occurs...Guess what?....Your pop up was botched...Thereby, giving your opponent the advantage....Yeah...That'd really work for someone who's already keen on specific combos for certain characters...Way to go online!  Anyway...Whatever.
bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts

I don't like to compare Virtua Fighter to button mashers like Tekken and DOA. VF has always been more simulation than arcade beat-em-up. I think that the reason the topic creator gave for lack of online is bogus, though. Wireless technology, even Bluetooth, can encounter interference. That could easily result in millisecond delays between when the user presses a button to when the console acts upon it. If they can overcome this, they can overcome lag issues with remote opponents. I think that Sega just didn't want to add the cost to the project.

kelindas02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kelindas02
[QUOTE="Master__Shake"][QUOTE="kelindas02"][QUOTE="Master__Shake"][QUOTE="pimperjones"]http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/28/7200 Read it and remember it, from someone who's played every VF game to date. What was said in this article is the cold hard truth. To pull off three Akira counters, followed by a dragon lance followed by a Stun Palm of Doom, requires milisecond accuracy and cannot be done with any lag what so ever. Only true hardcore VF fans know this thus we know online is not possible now.

ha! though i agree with you on that last sentence.. problem is.. when your friends can hit EWGF's (tekken talk) or just frame sky rockets (more tekken talk).... having more than half your life takin away simply because of lag and you didn't see the move come out in time and you got counter hitted with it.. doesn't make for very much of a fun time. or! even better, a sudden skip and then you see two letters on the screen saying KO.

now.. if both of you are low/mid level players just lookin to have a good time. hey I'm right there with you. I wouldn't mind online play. I don't see it as a necessary component, but i wouldn't mind it if it's there. but for competitive levels, these games aren't ready yet. the company teams tried it out and said it wouldn't work. That's a reality you're gonna have to deal with. And i stand by the company's decision. I agree with them. casual play who cares? but competitivly.. to people who play in tournies and what not. serious tournies at that. not something that happens at an open house gathering. but actual functions. they care.

also, you don't have to explain your clout or your past history with fighting games in general, i could care less. as far as i'm concerned, your history need not apply. if you wanna play with your friends cross country, there are other games you can play. or, you can set aside time to meet up one day or month- not just to play games, use your head, catch up on old times. and if the time is right, pop in the game. makes it a more memorable moment.

and before people shoot out DOA again. realize, that there is a reason DOA fans consider this to be the weakest version of the series. but again.

casual fighters need not apply or listen to that statement.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Deihmos

[QUOTE="Master__Shake"][QUOTE="kelindas02"][QUOTE="Master__Shake"][QUOTE="pimperjones"]http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/28/7200 Read it and remember it, from someone who's played every VF game to date. What was said in this article is the cold hard truth. To pull off three Akira counters, followed by a dragon lance followed by a Stun Palm of Doom, requires milisecond accuracy and cannot be done with any lag what so ever. Only true hardcore VF fans know this thus we know online is not possible now. kelindas02

ha! though i agree with you on that last sentence.. problem is.. when your friends can hit EWGF's (tekken talk) or just frame sky rockets (more tekken talk).... having more than half your life takin away simply because of lag and you didn't see the move come out in time and you got counter hitted with it.. doesn't make for very much of a fun time. or! even better, a sudden skip and then you see two letters on the screen saying KO.

now.. if both of you are low/mid level players just lookin to have a good time. hey I'm right there with you. I wouldn't mind online play. I don't see it as a necessary component, but i wouldn't mind it if it's there. but for competitive levels, these games aren't ready yet. the company teams tried it out and said it wouldn't work. That's a reality you're gonna have to deal with. And i stand by the company's decision. I agree with them. casual play who cares? but competitivly.. to people who play in tournies and what not. serious tournies at that. not something that happens at an open house gathering. but actual functions. they care.

also, you don't have to explain your clout or your past history with fighting games in general, i could care less. as far as i'm concerned, your history need not apply. if you wanna play with your friends cross country, there are other games you can play. or, you can set aside time to meet up one day or month- not just to play games, use your head, catch up on old times. and if the time is right, pop in the game. makes it a more memorable moment.

and before people shoot out DOA again. realize, that there is a reason DOA fans consider this to be the weakest version of the series. but again.

casual fighters need not apply or listen to that statement.

You obviously never played anything online. and in case you did not know the last DOA on the Xbox was also online and that was 2004. Both received good reviews.

You are probably a Sony gamer only.

Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Velric
Member since 2003 • 3842 Posts

See, here is the deal. Everyone understands the reasons they gave for not including online play but most people feel it should have been added regardless of this issue.
LoboSolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 LoboSolo
Member since 2002 • 1136 Posts
Good post.