Why slim not phat or vise-versa?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

newown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 newown
Member since 2005 • 1427 Posts

Hello everyone, :)

After trying to fix my 60Gb ps3 phat model having the YLOD thing, I decided to throw it in the trash....:oops: ...... yes guys, TRASH! :cry:rather than paying half the price I bought it and then someday soon the same issue will keep going again and again, since my PS3 exceeded the warranty!

anyway, I am going to buy me a new one but I don't know why most of the people I know told me to get the slim model. So before I go and get me one, I wanted to ask you guys "the topic question."

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
well from my understanding, the YLOD has yet to appear in the slims, and theyve been more reliable in general from my understanding. they use less energy. they have a bigger HDD. and they're smaller.(i think im forgetting something) tho the fatty's are prettier(to some people), have more USB ports and some have BC.
GingerDeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 GingerDeadMan
Member since 2009 • 807 Posts

The only thing that the phat models have that I know of that are any advantage over the Slim is the media ports, double the USB ports and the backwards compatibility. That being said, I would much have a Slim because of the natively bigger hard drive, it has shown to be more stable than the original PS3s so there seems to be less risk of YLOD or overheating. Anyone who buys a phat model now isn't very business savvy. They're essentially a time bomb. A bomb counting down until your own personal boredom.

Sherjas24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sherjas24
Member since 2007 • 665 Posts

Buy the newest version because companies always improve their product so it does not stop working. For example, the 360 and their Jasper models are great and the Slim should be YLOD proof.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Can you even buy the phat ones any more? They've been out of production for a while now The 80GB version that they were making before the slims came out didn't have any extra media ports and they certainly didn't have backwards compatibility - those models are long gone. I'm sure you could find one if you really wanted, but a new one (with b/c or extra ports) would would be really hard to come by. There's no way I'd buy a used or refurbished phat instead of a new slim.

The slim is a great unit from everything I've heard. I don't own one, but I'm planning on buying a 250GB model later this year. Unless you love the way the phat looks and hate the way the slim looks, I'd definitely go with he slim.

planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 planbfreak4eva
Member since 2006 • 2856 Posts

the only one u can buy is slim..

the phat ones been discontinued ages ago

newown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 newown
Member since 2005 • 1427 Posts

Will you guys think that Sony will release a new PS3 Phat model soon? for example, a 250Gb phat model?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
nope their all for the slim.. and you could of got like 100 bucks for YLOD'd 60gb
patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

You need to figure out what you could have done to cause your PS3 to break and not do it again. Slim or regular they'll fail you if you don't treat them right.

oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

slim is better since it's new. It has less YLOD isse (for now) and no blackout from PSN.