Why no Vietnam Games? theres so much potential

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jerkface96
Member since 2005 • 9189 Posts

just imagine what the graphics of a ps3 or any next gen system. the foliage could look real, ai could be smart if effort is put into it. just because the most recent vietnam games were epic fails, doesnt mean the iidea should be abandoned.

SonyMarksman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SonyMarksman70
Member since 2008 • 1628 Posts

just imagine what the graphics of a ps3 or any next gen system. the foliage could look real, ai could be smart if effort is put into it. just because the most recent vietnam games were epic fails, doesnt mean the iidea should be abandoned.

jerkface96
I first that.
danciu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 danciu
Member since 2005 • 369 Posts
Well the game is called Call of Duty:World at War and it's based on the vietnam war,so there you go...
NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NielsNL
Member since 2005 • 4346 Posts
I think almost any setting can be fun as long as the game behind it is good. There also aren't any Gulf War games as far as I know. Something like that would also be very cool.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
Well the game is called Call of Duty:World at War and it's based on the vietnam war,so there you go...danciu
Not really, it's set in WW2
superiorNilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 superiorNilly
Member since 2007 • 547 Posts
Yeah I would actually really like a new 3rd person vietnam game. Just like the ones that were released on the PS2 and Xbox but better.
ginraisama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ginraisama
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts
i haven't seen any game on the 6 day war either...
SonyMarksman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SonyMarksman70
[QUOTE="danciu"]Well the game is called Call of Duty:World at War and it's based on the vietnam war,so there you go...BenderUnit22
Not really, it's set in WW2

Exactly, lol, pwned.He was probably thinking of Japan vs US
deleny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deleny
Member since 2006 • 214 Posts
where you can destroy the trees and burn stuff up:P
SonyMarksman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SonyMarksman70
where you can destroy the trees and burn stuff up:Pdeleny
Venezuela....Merc2 :)
FatChuwawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FatChuwawa
Member since 2007 • 736 Posts
in sose atm we are studying vietnam war/hippies. and a vietnam game would be awesome, doing reconnaissance missions at night in the jungle.
Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ninten007
Member since 2005 • 3129 Posts

They wont make it because the VW was a war the US sort of lost. They were suffering too many deaths and had to pull out. A very pointless war.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts
[QUOTE="deleny"]where you can destroy the trees and burn stuff up:PSonyMarksman70
Venezuela....Merc2 :)

I cant wait for mercs 2 i already paid for my pre-order 10 dollars - paying the rest off on the day its released, why isnt there a demo for it though :o :(
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

They wont make it because the VW was a war the US sort of lost. They were suffering too many deaths and had to pull out. A very pointless war.

Ninten007

It had nothing to do with the deaths... the biggest problem with the Vietnam War was the politicians. Before Vietnam, war was left to generals. Around Vietnam, politicians thought they knew better. With the end results of that war and the needlessly complicated occupation of Iraq, we can see how this model is going.

REASONS YOU DON'T SEE VIETNAM WAR GAMES:
1) The Vietnam War wasn't organized as World War II was... sure there were offensives and key battles and such, but the VC mostly used hit-and-run guerrilla tactics. That sort of combat doesn't really mesh well with the run-and-gun mentality behind most FPS games... though a Rainbow Six-type stealth action game in Vietnam would be alright I guess.
2) There's a lot of Vietnam Vets still out there, and the war is often a sore spot for them, particularly because...
3) Vietnam wasn't the most popular war in American history... a lot of people disagree with why we were over there and such, and I think that sort of sensitivity may sway some people against buying into a game like this. I think this is one of the major factors behind there not being many Iraq War games.

Anyway, I'd like to see games really take chances with the venues they choose. If we're going to pick recent conflicts, let's pick more interesting locales... like all those missions we were doing during the Cold War, or just abandon the US military all together and give us a game based on these conflicts going on in Africa or all that craziness that went on in South America as I was growing up. Let's expand our horizons a little.

OX1DUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OX1DUS
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I don't think that the sensitivity of existing Vietnam veterans will affect the outcome of a game. If we do the numbers, most Vietnam veterans are around 50 years old already and either their children are old enough to buy games for themselves or these Vetereans have grandchildren too young to play video games. There is a very interested Poll going on in EA games about bringing back BATTLEFIELD VIETNAM for PS3/Xbox360. Its a request to EA games to do a similar translation of what they did for Battlefield 1943 for consoles. , .......................... POLL is here >>> http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/272516.page
xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

Cause america got its butt whooped in vietnam and no one wants to play a game where their country gets pwned

josh494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#17 josh494
Member since 2008 • 841 Posts
I don't think that the sensitivity of existing Vietnam veterans will affect the outcome of a game. If we do the numbers, most Vietnam veterans are around 50 years old already and either their children are old enough to buy games for themselves or these Vetereans have grandchildren too young to play video games. There is a very interested Poll going on in EA games about bringing back BATTLEFIELD VIETNAM for PS3/Xbox360. Its a request to EA games to do a similar translation of what they did for Battlefield 1943 for consoles. , .......................... POLL is here >>> http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/272516.page OX1DUS
Why did you bump this year old topic? first post failure.
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

Ninten007
Right! there ain't much glory to it, nothing but a losing effort... unlike WWII where victory was claimed. pointless indeed, i support Muhammad Ali's stand of the issue... now back to the topic... the only one i remember having a good campaign in Nam is John Rambo... maybe a remake game will do...
SmokinDankNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 SmokinDankNugz
Member since 2009 • 242 Posts

It's because the US lost that war, and they don't like bringing it up. There is no conclusion that makes sense for the game from their point of view because they LOST. Nobody wants to play a game where the war is lost at the end... except me. I'd love to see more nam games, Battlefield Vietnam was one of my favorite multiplayer games.

gollum007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 gollum007
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts
^Same here. Loved BF Vietnam and i love the music in that period too
SmokinDankNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SmokinDankNugz

^Same here. Loved BF Vietnam and i love the music in that period toogollum007

yeah that game had such a bomb soundtrack, I have it on my computer.

ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 ryokinshin6x3
Member since 2006 • 1437 Posts
That is probably the only Viet game worth getting.
heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 heatfanman101
Member since 2008 • 2877 Posts

Well the game is called Call of Duty:World at War and it's based on the vietnam war,so there you go...danciu

this statement = fail

heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 heatfanman101
Member since 2008 • 2877 Posts

also, what about the Korean War? maybe there not making one because so many people died in such a little time

ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ryokinshin6x3

That is not the issue, they will, when they will. Other wars besides WW2 and modern stuff won't be ignored all the time. Since they already did Vietnam, they might go for it again(BF team).

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Because "super christian good guy america" didn't "win".

So they "pick and choose" what to sweep under the rug. That's why it was a "sensitive issue" for so long. Always "don't talk about Vietnam. Don't touch on the subject publicly!"

Such as this "Iraq war" will probably end up the same way.

ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ryokinshin6x3

So they "pick and choose" what to sweep under the rug. That's why it was a "sensitive issue" for so long. Always "don't talk about Vietnam. Don't touch on the subject publicly!"

Denji
Obviously then this applies to BF Vietnam and it's success....... So fail.
iNFAMOUS_PETER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 iNFAMOUS_PETER
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts

I hear the next Call of Duty game Treyarch produces will be set in Vietname and not World War 2 (thank the lord).

ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ryokinshin6x3
Honestly, WW2 games don't get boring.....unless you try to release it every year.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Denji

[QUOTE="Denji"]

ryokinshin6x3

What success? Not to mention, just one game? Compared to the millions of WW2 games? Or "alternative" war games?

You're going to "counter" my arguement with one generally forgotten game?

Besides, my statement is about an issue on a much more grand scale. Something you obviously don't understand.

SmokinDankNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SmokinDankNugz

[QUOTE="ryokinshin6x3"][QUOTE="Denji"]

Denji

What success? Not to mention, just one game? Compared to the millions of WW2 games? Or "alternative" war games?

Besides, my statement is about an issue on a much more grand scale. Something you obviously don't understand.

I fully agree with you man, that IS why. I like being part of Canada, we don't lose wars just tag along and help win the ones that are WORTH FIGHTING. And the world doesn't hate us when we do.

Avatar image for deactivated-59506133570df
deactivated-59506133570df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 deactivated-59506133570df
Member since 2007 • 10348 Posts

Cause america got its butt whooped in vietnam and no one wants to play a game where their country gets pwned

xxgunslingerxx

no, we pulled out, we caused just as much damage to them as they did to us, only we didn't want to lose our youth fighting someone elses war.

communism was a stupid idea anyways.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Denji

[QUOTE="xxgunslingerxx"]

Cody13_2012

no, we pulled out, we caused just as much damage to them as they did to us, only we didn't want to lose our youth fighting someone elses war.

communism was a stupid idea anyways.

No, America lost. Horribly. They were pushed out of Vietnam. They made a bad call and they paid for it. Plain and simple.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Denji

[QUOTE="Denji"]

[QUOTE="ryokinshin6x3"] Obviously then this applies to BF Vietnam and it's success....... So fail.SmokinDankNugz

I fully agree with you man, that IS why. I like being part of Canada, we don't lose wars just tag along and help win the ones that are WORTH FIGHTING. And the world doesn't hate us when we do.

Actually, WW2 was the only recent war with a real threat and objective. If Hitler had full control of the United Kingdom, there was no doubt that we (North America) were next and he actually had the means to do so.

techzilla77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 techzilla77
Member since 2009 • 234 Posts

I made this point a few weeks ago in another forum about war games. What about the Korean War as well? Something different is a ll I ask. A vietnam game would be almost limitless. Especially with all the story lines involved.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Denji

I made this point a few weeks ago in another forum about war games. What about the Korean War as well? Something different is a ll I ask. A vietnam game would be almost limitless. Especially with all the story lines involved.

techzilla77

To be honest, when it comes to war games? I want a World War 1 game for a change!

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Renzokucant
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

also mgs3 is vietnam right?

Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts

1) The Vietnam War wasn't organized as World War II was... sure there were offensives and key battles and such, but the VC mostly used hit-and-run guerrilla tactics. That sort of combat doesn't really mesh well with the run-and-gun mentality behind most FPS games... though a Rainbow Six-type stealth action game in Vietnam would be alright I guess.

[QUOTE="Ninten007"]

Generic_Dude

It had nothing to do with the deaths... the biggest problem with the Vietnam War was the politicians. Before Vietnam, war was left to generals. Around Vietnam, politicians thought they knew better. With the end results of that war and the needlessly complicated occupation of Iraq, we can see how this model is going.

2) There's a lot of Vietnam Vets still out there, and the war is often a sore spot for them, particularly because...
3) Vietnam wasn't the most popular war in American history... a lot of people disagree with why we were over there and such, and I think that sort of sensitivity may sway some people against buying into a game like this. I think this is one of the major factors behind there not being many Iraq War games.

Anyway, I'd like to see games really take chances with the venues they choose. If we're going to pick recent conflicts, let's pick more interesting locales... like all those missions we were doing during the Cold War, or just abandon the US military all together and give us a game based on these conflicts going on in Africa or all that craziness that went on in South America as I was growing up. Let's expand our horizons a little.

Are you kidding? Hit and run tactics don't go well with modern run and gun games? Hit and run is what run and gun MEANS. They literally have the same meaning. You run, you hit them, you get away. If anything, that's why a game in vietname SHOULD take place.

SmokinDankNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SmokinDankNugz

[QUOTE="techzilla77"]

Denji

To be honest, when it comes to war games? I want a World War 1 game for a change!

I've thought this as well, but I mean... "ALRIGHT BOYS UP AND OVER!" That'd be like... 99% of the missions. Running into no-mans land dodging machine gun fire. WWI was hilarious because nobody knew how to fight with modern firearms!
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

Because "the good side" lost

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#42 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

Shellshock 2 is set in vietnam (and it has a zombie twist). Not that good though.

eo_the_shaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 eo_the_shaman
Member since 2009 • 1800 Posts

i think we should make up wars cause well ours are kind of boring now adays sorry to say for gameplay....id like a futuristic battle on pluto or somehing

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

Well the game is called Call of Duty:World at War and it's based on the vietnam war,so there you go... danciu

groundgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#45 groundgamer
Member since 2009 • 2122 Posts

jerkface96
Why don't you make one.
LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts

The next CoD ( after Modern Warfare 2) is supposed to be set in Vietnam.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
well there is shellshock 2 but its a mixture horror and more atmospheric than gun blazing GI-JOE style. plus its not that great