Why Heavenly Sword is worth $60 IMO...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 trininuyawka
Member since 2005 • 165 Posts

People say HS is easy to play. Sure you can beat it using the same easy combos over and over (while taking a good butt-kicking in the process). Playing it at it's simplest level, it's probably not worth the $60 and is good for just a weekend rental.

But when you've mastered countering, arial combos, mixing stances, etc. the game takes on a very different feel. The rhythm you can build up as you block, counter, dodge and just completely slaughter a group of poor bad guys as you mix the different stances and combos....without getting hit no less..... is almost poetic and a beautiful thing to see and experience. Seeing the glyph meter rise past 50 as you dish out the carnage keeps you in the flow. The satisfaction of earning 3 glyphs for the skill you just demonstrated is the icing.

Now put the battles into context of an overall great story, great characters, great acting, great music, great visuals, and great animations, well, to me you have a truly unique game that easily justifies it's $60 cost. The replay value comes into play in unlocking Hell Mode, trying to earn 3 glyphs for every section and basically unlocking every combo in the game and using many of them successfully in battle.

If you are on the fence about getting this game, pleased don't underestimate how good it is.

My humble $.02

bastila19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 bastila19
Member since 2004 • 551 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more.
Xire_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3 Xire_XII
Member since 2007 • 3092 Posts

Can I have your fifty-nine dollars and ninety-eight cents then sir? I need to get another copy of the game because I agree with you.

Just beat the game last night and working on Hell mode, I've been working on combos that I had not already mastered and it's allowing the game much more enjoyment. Not to mention I'm still working to unlocking all the special features the game has, one reason it has replay value. There's nothing to say about the game visually, it's stunning. Yet there are not moments in the game that I've felt bored, which I think is worth the money it's priced at retail. Though it may be short, the game offers enough in it's time span to offer more than enough.

Opalescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Opalescent
Member since 2006 • 247 Posts
There was a time, long ago, in the distant gaming past, when people cared more about quality than they did quantity. It is sad to see that this time has passed, and that the vast majority of people are now judging Heavenly Sword based on its length, rather than its gameplay. However, it's heartening to see that at least a few of the old crowd are still around who can still appreciate a game based on its merits and not its failings, especially when its merits so heavily outweigh it's single failing.
odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts
Whoever said it was worth $60. Right now that is the price that its going for but whether or not its worth that much is a different story. Anyway in a couple of months the game should drop down in price...I would say right after xmas a couple of stores might have the game on sale for like $30 or 40 but even then thats a lot of money for this game..Its the best game you can rent though.
ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
Playing it right now and having a blast, i'm just starting chapter 3 but I'm already glad I paid $60 for it... One of my favorites for the PS3 along with Warhawk.
trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 trininuyawka

There was a time, long ago, in the distant gaming past, when people cared more about quality than they did quantity. It is sad to see that this time has passed, and that the vast majority of people are now judging Heavenly Sword based on its length, rather than its gameplay. However, it's heartening to see that at least a few of the old crowd are still around who can still appreciate a game based on its merits and not its failings, especially when its merits so heavily outweigh it's single failing.Opalescent

Although I haven't beat it yet, personally I'm just fine with the length of HS. Being married with a kid, that 6-7 hour length stretches out to 20 hours spread out over the course of a month. LOL Nevertheless, I defintely agree that I'm more into quality then quantity. Hence the reason I own ICO and Shadow Of Colossus in my limited gaming library.

blackldragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blackldragon
Member since 2005 • 1540 Posts
Yes yes HS is great. One question though what the hell does IMO mean anyways.
trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 trininuyawka

Yes yes HS is great. One question though what the hell does IMO mean anyways.blackldragon

In My Opinion.

Opalescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Opalescent
Member since 2006 • 247 Posts

Yes yes HS is great. One question though what the hell does IMO mean anyways.blackldragon

It stands for "In My Opinion".

Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts
Right on TC. For me, why HS worth $60 (£40) is because I will enjoy it from start to finish and I know no matter how many times I play it, I won't be bored of it (just like Ico, MGS, Okami and STOC). As I always said, no opinion matters to me most other than my own.
blackldragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blackldragon
Member since 2005 • 1540 Posts
Ahh I see thanks I always thought it was something like lol or rofl. :oops:
trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 trininuyawka

Whoever said it was worth $60. Right now that is the price that its going for but whether or not its worth that much is a different story. Anyway in a couple of months the game should drop down in price...I would say right after xmas a couple of stores might have the game on sale for like $30 or 40 but even then thats a lot of money for this game..Its the best game you can rent though.odin2019

If you rent it, beat it in 6 hoursand earn 3 glyphs for every section on your first play-through, then I might agree with you. If you have no interest in playing the game on Hell Mode, mastering the art of blocking and countering, or unlocking and using some of the vicious 8+ hit combos, then I definitely agree with you.

knicknut17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 knicknut17
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

I completely agree with the TC that this game is worth $60.

I'm playing the game again on Hell Mode and find the combat to be extremely satisfying. The improved enemy AI really forces you to be on your toes, mix up your stances, mix up combos, and counter, counter, counter. It is a truly beautiful game that I am very proud to have in my collection.

The story stands in the upper tiers of video games and the production values for this game are absolutely through the roof.

For those who think that this game is a rental, they are entitled to their own opinion. One playthrough of the game only barely scratches the surface of the game though. The combat engine is surprisingly deep and is truly exposed during a second playthrough on the higher difficulty. I see myself going back and playing this game over and over because you can do so many different things with the stances. In this regard, I think the relatively short length of the game (6-8 hours) actually helps the game more than it hurts it.

laliluleylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 laliluleylo
Member since 2004 • 91 Posts

I can't agree with you more. I would like to see someone mastering all combos, and beating every bad guy without a single hit. By the way I got the game for 30 bucks hehehe, so yeah it was worthy.

trininuyawka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 trininuyawka

I completely agree with the TC that this game is worth $60.

I'm playing the game again on Hell Mode and find the combat to be extremely satisfying. The improved enemy AI really forces you to be on your toes, mix up your stances, mix up combos, and counter, counter, counter. It is a truly beautiful game that I am very proud to have in my collection.

The story stands in the upper tiers of video games and the production values for this game are absolutely through the roof.

For those who think that this game is a rental, they are entitled to their own opinion. One playthrough of the game only barely scratches the surface of the game though. The combat engine is surprisingly deep and is truly exposed during a second playthrough on the higher difficulty. I see myself going back and playing this game over and over because you can do so many different things with the stances. In this regard, I think the relatively short length of the game (6-8 hours) actually helps the game more than it hurts it.

knicknut17

Also, if you take into account the plot of the story and that it occurs over the course of 5 days, the length of the game makes perfect sense. As does the lack of online play andmultiple weapons. Heck, I've beaten the first 2 chapters and I didn't even miss the fact that there isn't a "jump" button. Who needs one when you see the sheer number of combos you can do across 3 unique stances? I'm even more impressed they could come up with such unique combos without using a "jump" button as a sort of crux.