Why does GTA 4 look like shit?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tendoboy1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tendoboy1984
Member since 2012 • 253 Posts

After seeing the new GTA 5 trailers (which looks amazing), I'm reminded of how horrible GTA 4 looks. GTA 4 is blurry, with jaggies everywhere and an inconsistent frame-rate. Granted, I have the PS3 version, so I have no idea what the PC version is like.

txdave38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 txdave38
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

Well if you compare GTA4 to San Andreas, it looks amazing with the detail. The graphics were good for its time.

jetjetjaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 jetjetjaguar
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

I was surprised how muted and brownish the colors where in GTA4.  I can only think they were "going for something" as other games of the time look more vivid.  Either that or it helped the frame rate to reduce the color pallet.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#4 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

V might look better than IV because they've have more time to utilize the hardware properly. The 'grittiness' of IV was not for everyone, especially after the colorful SA. They're improving at their jobs, as they should.

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
Because it's five years old. I'm still not convinced the console version of GTA V is going to look like the trailers. Could be the PC version that'll be released down the line.. As for the PC version of GTA IV, it looks beautiful when modded. When playing vanilla, it's showing its age.
-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts
Yeah its pretty crazy how bad it looks isnt it? Everything has progressed so much visually since then.
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Yet when it first came out I thought it looked amazing.

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

After seeing the new GTA 5 trailers (which looks amazing), I'm reminded of how horrible GTA 4 looks. GTA 4 is blurry, with jaggies everywhere and an inconsistent frame-rate. Granted, I have the PS3 version, so I have no idea what the PC version is like.

tendoboy1984
GTA 4 was crap so....
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#9 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Its showing its age just like every other GTA. I imagine GTAV will be a significant improvement, but just keep in mind it's being pushed out on 7-8 year old consoles. It probably won't age well, but I'm sure it will be a lot of fun.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Yet when it first came out I thought it looked amazing.

marcheegsr

GTA V looks sweet compared to GTA 4.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts
gta 4's graphics along with rdr prohibited me from playing sr 3... the graphics were ok for the time it was released bearing in mind the open world size and the city's dynamics, they were pretty good, however the experience gained and shared with various collaborators over the years, of course, seems to be paying of in gta 5.... :)
LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

gta 4's graphics along with rdr prohibited me from playing sr 3... the graphics were ok for the time it was released bearing in mind the open world size and the city's dynamics, they were pretty good, however the experience gained and shared with various collaborators over the years, of course, seems to be paying of in gta 5.... :)MondasM

Why should graphics stop you from playing a game? Did you complete RDR?

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts
after playing and completing gta 4, rdr, just cause and those kind of 3rd person action / adventure games, i could not get into saints row, it reminded me too much of the previous generation of consoles and although some aspects of the game were unique, the over-the-top action's glamour seemed to fade away... on another note i do not love the conventional third person view games, may they be shooters or action / adventure games, the only ones that i could complete were exceptionally good like gta 4, rdr, max payne series, uncharted series, last of us, vanquish, etc... when i look at this list i seem to only like third person view games from rockstar and naughty dog, along with a game from platinum... :) rpgs and strategy games are another story.... :D
jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
Look at the difference between GTA4 and RDR. Of course GTA4 is showing its age. But the graphics are not the only reason to play a game. I still feel it was a masterpiece for its time. Consider how primitive San Andreas looks now.
LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

after playing and completing gta 4, rdr, just cause and those kind of 3rd person action / adventure games, i could not get into saints row, it reminded me too much of the previous generation of consoles and although some aspects of the game were unique, the over-the-top action's glamour seemed to fade away... on another note i do not love the conventional third person view games, may they be shooters or action / adventure games, the only ones that i could complete were exceptionally good like gta 4, rdr, max payne series, uncharted series, last of us, vanquish, etc... when i look at this list i seem to only like third person view games from rockstar and naughty dog, along with a game from platinum... :) rpgs and strategy games are another story.... :DMondasM

Saints Row is just an over-the-top game which could be fun if the developers didn't try to put in so much ridiculous stuff and would concentrate on more minute details. And I feel most RPGs these days are really good except JRPGs, rinse-and-repeat gameplay, but that is an argument for another day.