Why did the reviewer for Kane and Lynch get fired but not...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ryank285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ryank285
Member since 2007 • 1152 Posts
the reviewers that gave Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank such a low score? Theyshould get cruxified!
thageneral2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thageneral2
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts

K&L is garbage!!!

CzarKingKaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CzarKingKaiser
Member since 2007 • 183 Posts
someone got fired? for a review? what?
ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 ukillwegrill
Member since 2007 • 3528 Posts

A) beacause Ratchet and Clank was barley an improvemnets on last gen version even though sony were touting it as the greatest technical achievement to date---------------Although Halo 3 scored high and sucked worse then before.

B) Uncharted is very unusual and get mixed reviews acroos the board.

C) The reviewer of Kane and lynch was just blatently unfair and provided little to no reason for his awarding of such a low score

Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Zoomer30
Member since 2003 • 4365 Posts
They rule is rate the 360 games high and slash the Ps3 games to death. Either that or get fired.
CzarKingKaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CzarKingKaiser

I just went to Metacritic, where they average all the reviews for a game together, and it got a 65/100. So Gamespot looks like they did a pretty good job. Also, the user reviews averaged out to a 3.8 here on Gamespot, so I don't know why you think the reviewer at Gamspot was blatantly unfair. He seemed to give plenty of good reasons, that are supported by the gaming community.

Did this guy actually get fired? How do you know?

aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts

I just went to Metacritic, where they average all the reviews for a game together, and it got a 65/100. So Gamespot looks like they did a pretty good job. Also, the user reviews averaged out to a 3.8 here on Gamespot, so I don't know why you think the reviewer at Gamspot was blatantly unfair. He seemed to give plenty of good reasons, that are supported by the gaming community.

CzarKingKaiser
I don't understand this..... what about Ratchet and Clank, the reviews here are not average for the PS3 games compare to other sites.
Soulreaver9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Soulreaver9
Member since 2004 • 465 Posts

CzarKingKaiser

As far as the review goes, he really didn't bash on the game to much and gave it good praises for what it was trying to accomplish, i guess people thought the score didn't match the review. Also that 3.8 user score cannot be trusted now.

Haku_Ryushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 Haku_Ryushi
Member since 2004 • 1241 Posts
Kane and Lynch got the rating it deserved. HOWEVER, the retarded reviewer who gave Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank Future, should've been the one who should get his a** fired. GameSpot is losing its fame for this.
aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts
Kane and Lynch got the rating it deserved.HOWEVER, the retarded reviewer who gave Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank Future, should've been the one who should gethis a**fired. GameSpot is losing its fame for this.Haku_Ryushi
They need to hire a whole new team of gamespot.
ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ukillwegrill

CzarKingKaiser

The only thing the review touched on was the bad lanhuage and ugly charcters the gameplay mechanics are solid although the characters could have been more developed.

Also if u read many of the reviews most of them openly admit to not playing the game but are just sympathetic for the reviewer

CzarKingKaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CzarKingKaiser
Yeah, I don't really get the Ratchet and Clank score.... demo seemed flawless to me. Just shows why you gotta go to Metacritic to get a number that more accurately describes a game, because, for example, even though Gamespot gave it a 75/100, 5 sources gave it a perfect 100, so it more than balances out. (Great game, not mind blowing though)
FlashCharge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 FlashCharge
Member since 2007 • 2239 Posts

Not the best moment for Gamespot. This type of hype at the expense of an individual employee is in bad taste. Freedom of the Press is something we all cherish and want protected. An internal problem which has now gone public, is not the best advertisement for Gamespot. It is the reviews that gamespot airs that keep bringing gamers back. The reviews of Kane and Lynch across the board were not the best. On the whole, a 6.5 out of 10. The firing had to be more than just one review, but the matter would have been better settled in house with respect to the employee. Shame on Gamespot, or is this just a ploy to arouse us gamers to come to his defense?

CzarKingKaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CzarKingKaiser
What do you think they should have gotten?
CzarKingKaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CzarKingKaiser
Uncharted and Ratchet that is.
CzarKingKaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CzarKingKaiser

Not the best moment for Gamespot. This type of hype at the expense of an individual employee is in bad taste. Freedom of the Press is something we all cherish and want protected. An internal problem which has now gone public, is not the best advertisement for Gamespot. It is the reviews that gamespot airs that keep bringing gamers back. The reviews of Kane and Lynch across the board were not the best. On the whole, a 6.5 out of 10. The firing had to be more than just one review, but the matter would have been better settled in house with respect to the employee. Shame on Gamespot, or is this just a ploy to arouse us gamers to come to his defense?

FlashCharge

Seriously, is there an article or something I can read to clue me in on this?

ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ukillwegrill

Uncharted and Ratchet that is.CzarKingKaiser

R&C should have got a nice solid 8 or maybe 8.5

Uncharted definately a 8, at least

kailman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kailman123
Member since 2007 • 137 Posts

i heard the guy got fired on G4tv.com.

bartman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bartman999
Member since 2005 • 154 Posts
his name is Jeff and and he was the best here trust me on that one
kailman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kailman123
Member since 2007 • 137 Posts
look at G4tv.com, CzarKingKaiser
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

his name is Jeff and and he was the best here trust me on that one bartman999

if anything, that's the most true statement yet.

perfection1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 perfection1000
Member since 2006 • 1205 Posts
his name is Jeff and and he was the best here trust me on that one bartman999
Agree with that.
CzarKingKaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CzarKingKaiser

i heard the guy got fired on G4tv.com.

kailman123

thanks man, i'll look into it

Haku_Ryushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 Haku_Ryushi
Member since 2004 • 1241 Posts
R&C should of got a 9.0 and Uncharted definitely should of gotten at least a 9.5
ovadose85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ovadose85
Member since 2006 • 505 Posts

here's a link

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/index.html?t=681212#681212

skelly7483

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 skelly7483
Member since 2005 • 326 Posts

Heres the article in its entirety.

"Longtime Gamespot.com Editorial Director Jeff Gerstmann was reportedly fired recently, and the scuttlebutt on the internets is that he was canned over a less-than-glowing review of Eidos' Kane and Lynch.

Gerstmann gave the high-profile game a 6 out of 10--above average, but just barely--while, at the same time, Eidos advertising skinned the entire Gamespot site. Then,Gerstmann's employment ended, supposedly due to Eidos's unhappiness over the review.

WhileGamespot's message boards are blowing up with flames and comments over the imbroglio (and Eidos apparently having shut theirs down), as of yet there hasn't been any official statement from the people involvedabout the incident(Gamespot, Eidos or Gerstmann), other than a confirmation that Gerstmann no longer works at Gamespot.

Since the sources of the rumor are not too reliable (unnamed employees, game blogs), this is all rumor and speculation right now. Maybe I'm naive, but while it's possiblethat gamespot dissolved the wall between marketing and editorial over one semi-negative review, I can't believe they wouldn't see the harm in permanently damaging their credibility with the gaming community over one opinion.

On the other hand, it's business, and perhaps CNet, the owners of Gamespot, really are that short-sighted. It's not as if game "journalism" has ever had much credibility. We predict it all fizzles into a he-said, she-said situation.

In either case, pop some corn and keep watching. It's going to be a busy day. We'll keep you posted."

If this is true Gamespot should be ashamed of themselves.

That-B-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 That-B-Guy
Member since 2005 • 657 Posts
Well, when a company pays thousands of dollars to advertise on your web site... they sort of expect a decent review for the game they are paying to advertise. In return, good sales gives that reviewing site some kick-backs, monetarily. That's what it all boils down to...
shozzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shozzi
Member since 2004 • 56 Posts
i think gamespot was the only place to give Ratchet and Clank a 7.5. Everywhere else gave it an 8.0 or higher. I've played both R&C and Uncharted and I have to say, both of them should have gotten higher. The guy whoreviewed Unchartedcomplained about the difficulty of the enemies that you face, but I found that it was very rewarding once you beat such a hard battle against pirates and other things(plus the death cinematics is very quick). The controls were almost perfect in every way, everything felt natural to me and the main charactermoved and jump like what a human would do(except forwhen he jumps on to pillarsand scales walls with incredible ease).I can't tell the story for spoiler sake, but I can say that it shifts to a whole new mood in the middle of the game and it makes you keep wanting more, and the reward system worked really well with making you want to change guns and switch strategies to get the points for bonus tidbits. I would've given Uncharted a 9.1 at least, because it is a compelling sort of roller coaster so to speak. So, yea I've really noticed that reviewers only gave high scores to the multi-platformer games andI think there reallybiased towards PS3. I'm waiting for the FFXIII and MGS4 to get reviewed by gamespot, just to see if the score's low or not. Hope for the best!
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts

thats just stupid.

LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts

He did get fired, further shown by Rich Gallup's latest blog.

It also mentions it on wikipedia, someone confirmed it by asking Jeff on myspace.

muff07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 muff07
Member since 2007 • 945 Posts

Seriously like that was what this game seems to be averaging if anything bad reviews have been Assasins Ceed,Ratchet and Clank,Metroid 3:Curruption and The Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess and they were all had large cries of outrage and no-one got fired.

It seems gamespot has double standards and has just reinforced whyI use Eurogamer,Ign and Gamerrankings which are the besttwo review sites and wellI think everyone knows what gamerankings does.

rahul_batta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rahul_batta
Member since 2004 • 1363 Posts
Its probably cause Kane and Lynch is highly advertised so maybe there is an "unwritten" rule that if they do avertising it must recieve a good or atleast decent score.
lhbchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lhbchen
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts

[QUOTE="Haku_Ryushi"]Kane and Lynch got the rating it deserved.HOWEVER, the retarded reviewer who gave Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank Future, should've been the one who should gethis a**fired. GameSpot is losing its fame for this.aka_aj03

not sure about the whole crew but R.D. and A.T. shoulda been fired. SONY please act up as EIDOS has done.

Avatar image for Devils_Joker_22
Devils_Joker_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Devils_Joker_22
Member since 2005 • 5592 Posts
Jeff got fired!? Hmmm, im 60/40 on leaving gamespot for good then, because of both the obvious roots of corruption showing, and also the fact that jeff was the only showman left. Stupid choice.
JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#35 JudgementEden
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts

Jeff got fired!? Hmmm, im 60/40 on leaving gamespot for good then, because of both the obvious roots of corruption showing, and also the fact that jeff was the only showman left. Stupid choice.Devils_Joker_22

I agree, even though its hard to leave the forums of this site. But as DJ has said the corruption they are showing is disgusting. GS needs to quit being stupid.

Raiden_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Raiden_69
Member since 2007 • 288 Posts

the reviewers that gave Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank such a low score? Theyshould get cruxified!ryank285

uh kane and lynch SUX and uncharted got a good score soooo...wtf r u talkin about?

snipe2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 snipe2004
Member since 2007 • 1872 Posts

[QUOTE="Haku_Ryushi"]Kane and Lynch got the rating it deserved.HOWEVER, the retarded reviewer who gave Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank Future, should've been the one who should gethis a**fired. GameSpot is losing its fame for this.aka_aj03

exactly. GS is losing credibility and fast

lhbchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lhbchen
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts

[QUOTE="ryank285"]the reviewers that gave Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank such a low score? Theyshould get cruxified!Raiden_69

uh kane and lynch SUX and uncharted got a good score soooo...wtf r u talkin about?

Having a whole letter grade off is considered "Good" score? Nice, guess getting B rather than a deserved A in school means no difference to you then.

urio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 urio1
Member since 2007 • 1576 Posts
Well I think Jeff was the only reviewer that wasn't biased... i mean he gave KH2 an 8.7!!! Any other reviewer would've given it much less... imma miss dat guy lol
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
Well i completely agreed wit him this time. Sad to see he got fired. I read it was because eidos threatened to take away their advertising money
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts

[QUOTE="aka_aj03"][QUOTE="Haku_Ryushi"]Kane and Lynch got the rating it deserved.HOWEVER, the retarded reviewer who gave Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank Future, should've been the one who should gethis a**fired. GameSpot is losing its fame for this.lhbchen

not sure about the whole crew but R.D. and A.T. shoulda been fired. SONY please act up as EIDOS has done.

no sthat would just make sony look bad. You make a garbage game and threaten the company into firing someone rating said garbage game poorly? thats just sad

austin_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 austin_is_god
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts

R&C should of got a 9.0 and Uncharted definitely should of gotten at least a 9.5Haku_Ryushi

Although I am sure they are fanboy scores, I have to agree with R&C being way underated on GS amd yes it did deserve a 9.0. I don't really bother reading reviews but 7.5 for that game seems very unfair. So far, apart from Virtua Fighter 5, R&C Future is the most fun I have had with a game in quite a long time. I played the demo of Bioshock for example, and thought it was booooring, but i hate FPS games anyway. I don't see how repetitive crap (and more of a chore to play rather than fun IMO) with no artistic style or substance like Gears of War got as high as it did yet a great game like R&C Future got 7.5, it's rubbish.

I will be getting the Japanese release of Uncharted (Treasure of El Dorado as it is called in Japan) next week so I hope I disagree with that score too but seeing as I played through the demo at least 8 times, I am REALLY looking forward to it. I am sick of sites like GS taking scores off PS3 games like Uncharted and Heavenly Sword (not that I intend to buy HS) for being 8 hours long or whatever yet, again, Gears of War gets a 9.6 and has the same length for its single player campaign. Not EVERYONE plays online so I don't see how THAT can make up for a short single player game. If a game is short but a blast to play, it should not affect the score. It sure as hell didn't in the past. People put way too much emphasis on the amount of hours a game is supposed to take to finish. Sure it is comparable to the old days when games were judged on the amount of stages, but 10-12 hours is still OK with me unless it's an RPG. Again, it is the experience during those hours that counts, not the amount a reviewer who blasts through as quickly as possible, says it takes.

heyheydoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 heyheydoh
Member since 2005 • 1859 Posts
[QUOTE="CzarKingKaiser"]

ukillwegrill

The only thing the review touched on was the bad lanhuage and ugly charcters the gameplay mechanics are solid although the characters could have been more developed.

Also if u read many of the reviews most of them openly admit to not playing the game but are just sympathetic for the reviewer

He said the gameplay mechanics were not too great and you're forgetting all the bugs and AI problems...It's a mediocre game, get used to it...

PS360Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#44 PS360Fanboy
Member since 2007 • 2096 Posts
it is a shame, he was one of the best people on the GS staff, oh well...