jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Why aren't there more demos for new releases on the PS4?

I've noticed that only some games have them, both indie and not. So, why not have them for all? I think in the case of "Child of Light", there should be one. I'm not much a fan of RPG type games, but this one looks interesting. I just don't want to waste my money to find out it's not something I'd like. Sometimes, it's hard to just go off of reviews online.

Did Sony ever comment on why they don't have more demos out now?

Avatar image for deactivated-62d9ed6396429
deactivated-62d9ed6396429

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-62d9ed6396429
Member since 2011 • 49 Posts

Good question.

I guess demos can be Sony's friend or enemy. Demos can encourage someone to buy a game, or turn them off completely (in which case they might've bought the game had they not played the demo). For that reason, Sony have to carefully pick which games have demos and which don't.

Just a guess.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I honestly understand where your coming from, and once upon a time every game had some sort of demo even GTA, my other rant against the PSN store, is how disorganized the store is, I mean the old PS3 one used to give me a dedicated tab for all demo's and now it's just there, someone needs to sort the shop out so it can function with ease.

on topic, the problem is it isn't Sony who has the say, it's the developers on whether they want to make a demo portion for you or not, it isn't as simple as just blocking a bit of the game off, they basic have to make a completely different separate code, don't blame Sony blame the developers who don't feel the need to give us demo's anymore.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

Not that many PS4 games yet to begin with I guess.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jasean79

@bezza2011:

Okay, I blame the developers then. lol

I'm just thinking it would be such a good move to have more demos for newer games coming out. I know the Xbox 360 was very good about doing this and I've bought a lot of games that I probably wouldn't have if not for the playable demo.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@jasean79: I agree there are a few games i'd like to play demo's of just to get a feel of them but there isn't, maybe in time we will get them, but for developers at the moment time is money and they want money and demo's take time so you never know what will happen.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

according to studies, demo's make games sell way less. So i understand them for doing it, but it also sucks. It does cost companies money to make them though, so keep that in mind

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jasean79

@The_Last_Ride said:

according to studies, demo's make games sell way less. So i understand them for doing it, but it also sucks. It does cost companies money to make them though, so keep that in mind

But how much money?

Take for instance on the PS4. They have "king oddball" which I believe is an indie title correct? There is a demo available for that game. Now judging by what I've seen of it (Angry Birds style gameplay), there's no way a title like this would be popular amongst the general gaming population. So, if what you say is true, then they're actually kicking themselves in the butt twice - they're losing money in that not a lot of people would buy the game to begin with and losing money because they made a demo for a game that not a lot of people would buy to begin with. I don't know, maybe those developers are risk takers and hoping that they'll get lucky?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Last_Ride

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

But how much money?

Take for instance on the PS4. They have "king oddball" which I believe is an indie title correct? There is a demo available for that game. Now judging by what I've seen of it (Angry Birds style gameplay), there's no way a title like this would be popular amongst the general gaming population. So, if what you say is true, then they're actually kicking themselves in the butt twice - they're losing money in that not a lot of people would buy the game to begin with and losing money because they made a demo for a game that not a lot of people would buy to begin with. I don't know, maybe those developers are risk takers and hoping that they'll get lucky?

It's a pretty significant amount, it was discovered during DICE conference last year where someone revealed it

Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts

Maybe just my perspective, but I do feel I had a lot more demos available for me when I first got the PS3 a few months after it launched. I was able to try out some of the big launch titles such as Resistance Fall of man which convinced me to buy the full version of the game.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Blame the publishers, they have more say than the developers. Regardless, I miss the days of bountiful demos. If Stryder didn't have a demo I wouldn't have known how much I liked it.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Demos are long gone, like physical media will be soon.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jasean79

@BattleSpectre:

Demos are still digital, so they should remain, no?

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@BattleSpectre:

Demos are still digital, so they should remain, no?

Just using an example, I meant just like physical media will soon be dead, so will game demos.

SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

What about releasing a demo after the game has been out for a while? Take a game like Knack, I have no idea how well it sold, but now that it is probably past its top sales at least, release a demo and maybe get some new people to buy it

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

This video might be relevant:

Loading Video...

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

We still have family video near me. So I just rent it.

GhostPirateX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 GhostPirateX
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

To push their Playstation Now rental service of course.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@jasean79 said:

Why aren't there more demos for new releases on the PS4?

I've noticed that only some games have them, both indie and not. So, why not have them for all? I think in the case of "Child of Light", there should be one. I'm not much a fan of RPG type games, but this one looks interesting. I just don't want to waste my money to find out it's not something I'd like. Sometimes, it's hard to just go off of reviews online.

Did Sony ever comment on why they don't have more demos out now?

Because companies choose not to release demos. It's up the publishers and some publishers go for it, some don't. It's a very risky proposition for companies, oftentimes not worth the effort. Blame the majority of game buyers.

I can explain why, but it takes too long, but just know companies/publishers are deciding on it, not Sony.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#20 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@The_Last_Ride:

I think production costs is the biggest reason.

CarGamingBlog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 CarGamingBlog
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Demos are big sizes these days, I guess that doesn't help.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

Demos are long gone, like physical media will be soon.

I hope not I love buying discs over digital content.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Demos are pretty much dead. Even reviews to base buying decisions on are less common now with some half-witted marketing clown coming up with the brilliant idea to slap review embargos on everything so you have to preorder and hope the game isn't crap. Amazingly some people still fall for it instead of just waiting for reviews. Lots of comments on here 'I preordered this game I think it will be great' based on absolutely nothing but empty marketing hype.

Publishers have become more greedy, gamers have become more stupid.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Last_Ride

@mdk12345 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

That's bullshit. You know why? Most of my PS2 games are from demos. I would play a demo, get attached, and want the game very badly.

Maybe for you that's the case, but not statistically mate

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@mdk12345 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

That's bullshit. You know why? Most of my PS2 games are from demos. I would play a demo, get attached, and want the game very badly.

Maybe for you that's the case, but not statistically mate

He's pretty much a compulsive liar and spends his whole time trolling these forums about how crap X1 and PS4 are. So yeah... pinch of salt for anything he says.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

What I am getting tired of is when the PSN lists a game as a NEW DEMO and then once clicked, it is either a pre-order for the game or the actual game. This is in my opinion, one of the worst versions of PSN I have seen.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ewalthour
Member since 2013 • 841 Posts

@blueinheaven:

AMEN Brother!!! Gamers are the stupid ones for buying games digitally without being informed how good the game is with game play videos and not over hyped trailers. I used the system and if Sony will not supply great AAA demos I will find a way. I will buy a used game from gamestop with the 7 day return policy and get my money back if the game is crap. I will rent from Redbox(although the PS4 games are limited but they tend to have AAA games). I have used the 30 day trial from gamefly like I did when I rented infamous for a month.I will also try to get my hands on Betas which is another way of playing a demo Whatever it takes to play games for free before giving away $60. I do buy digital games for $10-15 only when i am sure this is my type of game and will play it forever like Pure Pool and I bought Valiant Heart knowing I just wanted something different.

I just wrote a post informing my people here that BestBuy has LBP3, Driveclub and Infamous First LIght as demos among some indie style stuff. Why can we at least get LBP3 to make up for Driveclub not available to the PSN+ members like myself? I played Driveclub(free) with the gamestop used game policy but would have kept it if the servers wasn't poop.

I am just saying the CLOWNS are people who don't do their research and read up on the games they buy and stop preordering games coming out a yr from now. THAT IS VERY STUPID. I love Uncharted series but will never preorder a yr out from the release nor get a AAA game digitally and stuck with if its garbage. I want physical copies of most of my games for resell if I choose.

I do feel reading reviews help you determine the worth of the game at least how the game controls or all the content we get or if the game is a series and they fixed the things people complained about. I agree the score of reviews aren't the most important thing but its the content that matters the most. Embargo are becoming extremely common these days and no one can tell me this was AS common as back in the day. Now you see game sites getting copies from stores to give us reviews ahead of time. Advertisers are banking on us not relying on reviews and cant wait to get the game then once we open that wrapper from a store or download that digital game its OVER. Your money is down the window. Take that new physical copy back to the store and lose more than half of what it is worth. Now you got to depend on craigslist to get some cheap punk to give you a fair value of the game.

IF YOU GET THE POINT BY NOW USE YOUR BRAIN GOD GAVE.