Who's going to join Folding@Home?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chamber25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chamber25
Member since 2005 • 412 Posts
I hope most PS3 users seriously use this and allow there PS3's to be used for this project.

and for kids when your parents ask you why you want a PS3 so much at least now you can answer "I'M CURING CANCER".
jechts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jechts
Member since 2006 • 310 Posts
absolutely without doubt, ive been waiting for this since it was announced
queenster08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 queenster08
Member since 2005 • 859 Posts
Unfortunately, I will not.  This is one of the sticky subjects that open a box for abuse and violation of civil liberties.  Don't get me wrong, I want a cure for cancer; but having a part of your household open for public use just doesn't seem right.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
I'll definitively take a look at it, but since I rarely leave my game systems on and don't want to have my PS3 running just to crack some proteins, I probably wont' contribute that much
labatbleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 labatbleu
Member since 2004 • 281 Posts
Unfortunately, I will not.  This is one of the sticky subjects that open a box for abuse and violation of civil liberties.  Don't get me wrong, I want a cure for cancer; but having a part of your household open for public use just doesn't seem right.queenster08
i really like your way of thinking (NO) its like.. i want this but i don't want to pay for it... i want this but don't dusturb my peaceful life... i good exemple of the '' not in my yard'' syndrome come on man!!! just give it a try , its for a good cause . if they want to cure cancer do you really think they care about what is on your PS3 ...i don't think so
Axeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Axeus
Member since 2005 • 414 Posts
Ill be participating.
tonyandsteff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tonyandsteff
Member since 2007 • 407 Posts
i'll be participating only because i usually charge my controllers during the day so i can play at night when i get home.  i come home for lunch and swap them out, then at night both are ready to go for some action!
RabbidDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 RabbidDawg
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
Unfortunately, I will not. This is one of the sticky subjects that open a box for abuse and violation of civil liberties. Don't get me wrong, I want a cure for cancer; but having a part of your household open for public use just doesn't seem right.queenster08

I feel similar. An outside entity using my PS3 just doesnt seem like a good idea. Right now I just dont have enough trust to do it.

Maybe by the time it releases I will have changed my mind. Im curious if participating in this would effect the resources the PS3 uses for gaming and media?  And dont you have to leave your PS3 on all the time? If they could doit while the machine was on stand-by maybe, but leaving your console on all the time doesnt seem like a good idea and would effect the overall life of the console.
azuroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 azuroc
Member since 2005 • 255 Posts
I would assume that folding@home would not take any system resources other than when the system is idle. I think everyone should do it. Imagine if you didn't do it cause you were afraid of privacy, and then your grandmother gets cancer, then what?

You would feel guilty that all of these other people contributed who don't have sick grandmas, and they basically helped the fight to help your grandmother, but you didn't do a thing because you were afraid of privacy or system resources.
RabbidDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RabbidDawg
I would assume that folding@home would not take any system resources other than when the system is idle. I think everyone should do it. Imagine if you didn't do it cause you were afraid of privacy, and then your grandmother gets cancer, then what?

You would feel guilty that all of these other people contributed who don't have sick grandmas, and they basically helped the fight to help your grandmother, but you didn't do a thing because you were afraid of privacy or system resources.
azuroc

I wouldnt feel guilty because I didnt give her the cancer in the first place. And honestly Im a realist we all have to die sometime. Seriously though, Im a selfish self cetered ass, and Im not going to leave my PS3 running all day just so it can crash and Im out $600.00, sorry not gonna happen.

Again there would be no guilt just because others participated and I didnt. Its my choice. if everyone else wants to save the world let them. Its going to hell anyway so whats the difference. This foldong@home thing probably wont last anyway because some idiot politician from texas will shut it down.

You wanna fight  cancer, HIV and the like? Get bush to allow cloning, stemcell reasearch and instead of funding a war that was just so he could clean up daddys mess, lets spend billions on medical reasearch, not weapons to kill everyother country.

Seriously while this may be a step in the right direction its a tiny step, and not one big enough to concern my self with.
kakashi_00x000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kakashi_00x000
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
when I get a ps3, i'm definately using folding@home
psyum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 psyum
Member since 2006 • 3268 Posts
me!...not gonna leave it on all the time though....anyways i think it just takes the resources while the ps3 is idle...so no big deal...
azuroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 azuroc
[QUOTE="azuroc"]I would assume that folding@home would not take any system resources other than when the system is idle. I think everyone should do it. Imagine if you didn't do it cause you were afraid of privacy, and then your grandmother gets cancer, then what?

RabbidDawg

I wouldnt feel guilty because I didnt give her the cancer in the first place. And honestly Im a realist we all have to die sometime. Seriously though, Im a selfish self cetered ass, and Im not going to leave my PS3 running all day just so it can crash and Im out $600.00, sorry not gonna happen.

Again there would be no guilt just because others participated and I didnt. Its my choice. if everyone else wants to save the world let them. Its going to hell anyway so whats the difference. This foldong@home thing probably wont last anyway because some idiot politician from texas will shut it down.

You wanna fight cancer, HIV and the like? Get bush to allow cloning, stemcell reasearch and instead of funding a war that was just so he could clean up daddys mess, lets spend billions on medical reasearch, not weapons to kill everyother country.

Seriously while this may be a step in the right direction its a tiny step, and not one big enough to concern my self with.

If we're going to get into major world problems, then our biggest problem is energy. However, I think that while taking a shower or charging your controller, you can easily turn the console on, let it do a few calculations while you're doing something, then come back and play your games. You can even charge your controller during that time as well. No one said you had to leave it on for hours.

And yes, Bush needs to go. We need to get to the energy crisis, and get our troops home.

...BUT, this is a video game forum. Helping the sick is a good way to use your idle PS3. Not allowing the Folding@home to take run every once in a while on your PS3 is a disservice to humanity. Most of you are young self-centered teenagers, so I wouldn't expect you to understand, but I'm attempting to.
RabbidDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RabbidDawg
[QUOTE="RabbidDawg"][QUOTE="azuroc"]I would assume that folding@home would not take any system resources other than when the system is idle. I think everyone should do it. Imagine if you didn't do it cause you were afraid of privacy, and then your grandmother gets cancer, then what?

azuroc

You wanna fight cancer, HIV and the like? Get bush to allow cloning, stemcell reasearch and instead of funding a war that was just so he could clean up daddys mess, lets spend billions on medical reasearch, not weapons to kill everyother country.

If we're going to get into major world problems, then our biggest problem is energy. However, I think that while taking a shower or charging your controller, you can easily turn the console on, let it do a few calculations while you're doing something, then come back and play your games. You can even charge your controller during that time as well. No one said you had to leave it on for hours.

And yes, Bush needs to go. We need to get to the energy crisis, and get our troops home.

...BUT, this is a video game forum. Helping the sick is a good way to use your idle PS3. Not allowing the Folding@home to take run every once in a while on your PS3 is a disservice to humanity. Most of you are young self-centered teenagers, so I wouldn't expect you to understand, but I'm attempting to.

Your calling me a self cetntered teenager...LOL! Thats funny! I havnt been a teen for about 7 years now. Im not doing a disservice to anybody.....ITS A VIDEO GAME CONSOLE! Its sad that so many peopel are putting faith in this.

You really think this is going to amount to anything? Its not junior. So quit trying to get evryone to join the band wagon and save the sick. Leaving a console on to do a few calcultions is going to do nothing. Everyone says the PS3 is a supercomputer...Just like the PS2 right? It was touted as a super computer to.

If you want to do it great. But I dont buy it ok. And you can tell me what a monster Iam and Im self centered and selfish blah blah blha all you want it changes nothing. Ive got no faith in this and there are better ways to try and cure the sick other than leaving a A GaMING CONSOLE on or going to VIDEO GAME FORUMS and telling everyone who doesnt do this is a monster.

Just my point of view. You dont have to like it.
Fadixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fadixon
Member since 2005 • 762 Posts
whats folding@home ? and whats with the cancer ?
MagMower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MagMower
Member since 2005 • 992 Posts
I definitely would if I had a PS3. Why leave all that processing power just sitting there, doing nothing, when it can be curing cancer, MS, Alzheimer's (which my grandfather has)?
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

Your calling me a self cetntered teenager...LOL! Thats funny! I havnt been a teen for about 7 years now. Im not doing a disservice to anybody.....ITS A VIDEO GAME CONSOLE! Its sad that so many peopel are putting faith in this.

You really think this is going to amount to anything? Its not junior. So quit trying to get evryone to join the band wagon and save the sick. Leaving a console on to do a few calcultions is going to do nothing. Everyone says the PS3 is a supercomputer...Just like the PS2 right? It was touted as a super computer to.

If you want to do it great. But I dont buy it ok. And you can tell me what a monster Iam and Im self centered and selfish blah blah blha all you want it changes nothing. Ive got no faith in this and there are better ways to try and cure the sick other than leaving a A GaMING CONSOLE on or going to VIDEO GAME FORUMS and telling everyone who doesnt do this is a monster.

RabbidDawg

:shock: :| :lol:
lyndonAPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lyndonAPI
Member since 2002 • 2794 Posts
I have Folding@Home running on my computer now (the PC client has been available for some time now) and plan on having the PS3 join in some as well.

For those of you wondering about the safety of this, it's medical research from Stamford University- it is completely safe. This isn't some program drawn up by someone in their basement. The only time the client will actually go online is to grab a new work unit and send results back. As mentioned the client will only run when the system is idle- it won't kick in during gameplay. It may not be a big step toward a cure but every bit helps. Anyone wanting to learn more about folding can check their site.

RabbidDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RabbidDawg
[QUOTE="RabbidDawg"]

emitsu97

:shock: :| :lol:

I know its sad isnt it:P
azuroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 azuroc
[QUOTE="azuroc"][QUOTE="RabbidDawg"][QUOTE="azuroc"]I would assume that folding@home would not take any system resources other than when the system is idle. I think everyone should do it. Imagine if you didn't do it cause you were afraid of privacy, and then your grandmother gets cancer, then what?

RabbidDawg

Whoa, haha. I hit a nerve.

I can't force anyone to do anything. I'm stating my opinion. If someone reads what I wrote and decides that maybe folding@home is a good idea (whereas before they were undecided, or not going to use the service), then I've helped a little in creating a better world where people actually care about other peoples' well being. Sure its just a video game console, and sure this is a video game forum, but we're all owners and future owners of a machine that could make a difference.
Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Velric
Member since 2003 • 3842 Posts
When are they putting out the folding@home download? I thought it was supposed to be out yesterday but I didn't see a system update and it was not in the store. Will this be on the big update?
azuroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 azuroc
When are they putting out the folding@home download? I thought it was supposed to be out yesterday but I didn't see a system update and it was not in the store. Will this be on the big update?Velric

I heard next week, or possibly the end of the month.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 emitsu97
When are they putting out the folding@home download? I thought it was supposed to be out yesterday but I didn't see a system update and it was not in the store. Will this be on the big update?Velric

Whenever 1.60 comes out.  I downloaded the PC version and the WU my PC is working on has completion slated for June 27th. :lol:
lyndonAPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lyndonAPI
Member since 2002 • 2794 Posts
It is supposed to be coming as part of the 1.6 firmware download next week, according to an article I read over at QJ's PS3 site. Those still wondering what folding entails can check the link to their site in my other reply up above.
coxmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 coxmartin
Member since 2004 • 144 Posts

A question; what will the effect of all of this additional power from running PS3s be on global warming?

We could end up in deep water literally.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 emitsu97

A question; what will the effect of all of this additional power from running PS3s be on global warming?

coxmartin

But we'd be healthy enough to swim.
spliffchillum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 spliffchillum
Member since 2006 • 738 Posts
im going to join.. I wont let it run 24/7, but if I am playing a game and exit to go get food or take a breather, I'll start it up while I'm away from the ps3..
officer173

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 officer173
Member since 2007 • 275 Posts

Uhhh....SETI @home hasn't produced any sign of extraterrestrial life or anything useful, neither will this.  Did the SETI thing with my Sony Vaio, it was fun for about a day until I could cook eggs on my CPU.  Look for this thread 6 months from when 1.60 releases,  no one will remeber it.  Its ridiculous to think progress will be made this way.  We haven't found a cure for these problems (cancer, hiv, Alzheimers) because the people trying to come up with the solutions wanna play my PS3.  They should go get their own.

lennon07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 lennon07
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
Im sure youve all had loved ones lost to these types of things so why not help prevent it
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
i will once i get online
-L-U-I-S-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 -L-U-I-S-
Member since 2006 • 3665 Posts
I already have it on my PC and I'll also have it running on PS3
Avatar image for dumasyounis1234
dumasyounis1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dumasyounis1234
Member since 2007 • 110 Posts
very right! You just totally spoke the truth!
sdifjds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sdifjds
Member since 2003 • 1088 Posts
I will leave it running whenever I possibly can.
mikeslemonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mikeslemonade
Member since 2006 • 3624 Posts
Half of us in the United States will have some sort of cancer in our lives, so I'm definately going to pitch in and help.
MagMower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MagMower
Member since 2005 • 992 Posts

coxmartin
Do you have any idea of how little power game systems use?
KraftForgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KraftForgotten
Member since 2006 • 354 Posts
Not gonna happen for me, I only do things to please myself. The other guy was right we all are going to die some day anyway. I really don't care for humanity, nor its diseases. I didn't ask to be born into this world, nor will I kill myself. Helping people just because is ignorant, find out why you are helping before you try and help someone. are you helping people for karma points, so that you can feel better, following the norm, or you just love people and want the world you all live in to become better for the future? Think about it. As for me I figured it out I don't like helping people out; if I was dying I would want people to not help me and just let me pass away. A little pessimistic but that is what most humans do today they only care for themselves with little regard and well being of others. :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try it out because I like people and want to help the sick... my statement above was a joke and I know most won't get it. I was also being sarcastic, but it turned out to be a little long. Like another guy stated the littlest of help can lead to major changes (not the right wording, but still...) why not help? But, I can fathom that others just don't care, or even wouldn't want to make a minor change. We need even the slightest of change in this day and age, because cancer is rampid, and people having this illness who want to enjoy life again with even more passion sounds great to me. Even if someone is old of age he or she can still enjoy life to its fullest.