Who here actually buys comics for psp?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSNIDCiocio313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSNIDCiocio313
Member since 2009 • 391 Posts

if so which ones could you recommend

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts
I'm not paying two bucks for anything that's only around thirty pages long.
PSNIDCiocio313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PSNIDCiocio313
I'm not paying two bucks for anything that's only around thirty pages long.Pixel-Perfect
but they have some good comics on there, like the free ones cancer town and burke & hare, check those out
Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

I'd buy translated Manga off of it if they sold series I'd love to read but can't be find anywhere else. But even then it'd be a hard sell.

reggie186

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 reggie186
Member since 2004 • 3910 Posts

I'm not paying two bucks for anything that's only around thirty pages long.Pixel-Perfect

Don't buy many comics then?

brightchild0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 brightchild0
Member since 2006 • 186 Posts

I have bought some Marvel comics - flow system works brill !!!

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

From a different thread recently:

feryl06 wrote:Would you recommend the Marvel Digital Distribution for $60/year as opposed to the PSP service? All I really care about are Marvel comics and for an entire library of a storyline as opposed to bits and pieces. Thanks.

Well, check out the website and look at your own habits I guess...

There are over 5000 Marvel comics from a vast array of years and artists and writers spanning every hero and every hero's various titles... PSN is only going to get a modicum of titles at the very best, and slooowwwwly, because this PSN thing is sort of in indirect competition with the service they're offering on their own site. The difference being that you can't download full books off the Marvel site to carry with you on Sony's new "Kindle for Comic Geeks".

But the way I look at it, I don't want the clutter or the hassle of owning 5000 books in my apartment, or the expense it would take to own all of it. With PSN, you're getting interesting technologically "enhanced" comics but they're certainly coming at a premium. If you bought all of the ETERNALS books, say, you would be 1/6th of the way to paying off the Marvel site for an entire year... where you can read the whole ETERNALS series, Hulk series, everything that's on the PSN. On a computer screen, which gives you a larger image. Without eating up memory on your card.

Etc, etc.

There's just simply not enough here that's "Gotta Have" especiallyfor the format, and there really never will be when it comes to feeding a serious comic book habit. Not when they've got the whole tomato over there on the Marvel site. Owning a digital comic is rather akin to paying a prostitute - The urge is satisfied but the heart and hands remain empty after the act. So if you're going to pay a prostitute, shouldn't she be everything your filthy little urges can design or desire? You can"do" a lot more with a library of 5000 books at your disposal. And then, too... if you like what you read on the library site, you can hunt it down in real-life...

... and pay an arm and a leg for it, most likely. Or get it in a holisticly bound single volume collection and not care about the collector's side of the hobby which is what I do now. My physical comic collection goes back to the 1970s (when I bought them new as a kid), so PSN making 2003 available across a few different titles seems... malnourished?

I mean, that's nice if you like "CIVIL WAR" era storylines... but...

Where's the Dark Phoenix saga? Where's Iron Man and "The Devil in the Bottle"? Where's the Hulk stuff leading UP to his getting back to Earth and kicking everyone's head in? Where's the Death of Doctor Doom (FF iss#400, y'all)? Where's the first issue of Spiderman where the Punisher pops up? Where's "The Kree-Skrull War"? Where's the Secret Wars? Where's the introduction of Venom? Where are the AVENGERS, for cryin-out-loud... Ghost Rider, Tomb of Dracula (or did you think Wesley Snipes invented BLADE?), all of the stuff I really wanna read?

Oh that's right... they're on the MARVEL site... and the PSN, no matter how it tries, will never be better than the Marvel site at displaying Marvel materials. Especially now that the Maus (Disney) has bought Marvel's soul. Don't get me wrong, I still love Marvel and Dark Horse (speaking of which -where is THAT company???), but Disney money is... well, Disney money.

*koff*oldracistgeezer*koff*

Marvel is testing the waters with the handful of titles, although i must say there is a robust amount of Fantastic Four, so they got my interest with that, but most of the books on here are sort of 'surplus' items in the Marvel pantheon and rather disposable when it comes to the greater Marvel history, or timeline. The old Captain America books is a nice touch but I think the younger reader is going to get a gander at those artworks of yor and say "No Thanks". Even though the writing is amazing, and the history is rich.

Just my opinion.

PSNIDCiocio313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PSNIDCiocio313

From a different thread recently:

feryl06 wrote:Would you recommend the Marvel Digital Distribution for $60/year as opposed to the PSP service? All I really care about are Marvel comics and for an entire library of a storyline as opposed to bits and pieces. Thanks.

Well, check out the website and look at your own habits I guess...

There are over 5000 Marvel comics from a vast array of years and artists and writers spanning every hero and every hero's various titles... PSN is only going to get a modicum of titles at the very best, and slooowwwwly, because this PSN thing is sort of in indirect competition with the service they're offering on their own site. The difference being that you can't download full books off the Marvel site to carry with you on Sony's new "Kindle for Comic Geeks".

But the way I look at it, I don't want the clutter or the hassle of owning 5000 books in my apartment, or the expense it would take to own all of it. With PSN, you're getting interesting technologically "enhanced" comics but they're certainly coming at a premium. If you bought all of the ETERNALS books, say, you would be 1/6th of the way to paying off the Marvel site for an entire year... where you can read the whole ETERNALS series, Hulk series, everything that's on the PSN. On a computer screen, which gives you a larger image. Without eating up memory on your card.

Etc, etc.

There's just simply not enough here that's "Gotta Have" especiallyfor the format, and there really never will be when it comes to feeding a serious comic book habit. Not when they've got the whole tomato over there on the Marvel site. Owning a digital comic is rather akin to paying a prostitute - The urge is satisfied but the heart and hands remain empty after the act. So if you're going to pay a prostitute, shouldn't she be everything your filthy little urges can design or desire? You can"do" a lot more with a library of 5000 books at your disposal. And then, too... if you like what you read on the library site, you can hunt it down in real-life...

... and pay an arm and a leg for it, most likely. Or get it in a holisticly bound single volume collection and not care about the collector's side of the hobby which is what I do now. My physical comic collection goes back to the 1970s (when I bought them new as a kid), so PSN making 2003 available across a few different titles seems... malnourished?

I mean, that's nice if you like "CIVIL WAR" era storylines... but...

Where's the Dark Phoenix saga? Where's Iron Man and "The Devil in the Bottle"? Where's the Hulk stuff leading UP to his getting back to Earth and kicking everyone's head in? Where's the Death of Doctor Doom (FF iss#400, y'all)? Where's the first issue of Spiderman where the Punisher pops up? Where's "The Kree-Skrull War"? Where's the Secret Wars? Where's the introduction of Venom? Where are the AVENGERS, for cryin-out-loud... Ghost Rider, Tomb of Dracula (or did you think Wesley Snipes invented BLADE?), all of the stuff I really wanna read?

Oh that's right... they're on the MARVEL site... and the PSN, no matter how it tries, will never be better than the Marvel site at displaying Marvel materials. Especially now that the Maus (Disney) has bought Marvel's soul. Don't get me wrong, I still love Marvel and Dark Horse (speaking of which -where is THAT company???), but Disney money is... well, Disney money.

*koff*oldracistgeezer*koff*

Marvel is testing the waters with the handful of titles, although i must say there is a robust amount of Fantastic Four, so they got my interest with that, but most of the books on here are sort of 'surplus' items in the Marvel pantheon and rather disposable when it comes to the greater Marvel history, or timeline. The old Captain America books is a nice touch but I think the younger reader is going to get a gander at those artworks of yor and say "No Thanks". Even though the writing is amazing, and the history is rich.

Just my opinion.

ston3henge

I think Sony is pushing this media towards the new comic book collectors more than the old ones, they have all new stories that are epic from image comics and graphic novel type comics also

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

I buy them 8)

X-Men! :D

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]I'm not paying two bucks for anything that's only around thirty pages long.reggie186

Don't buy many comics then?

No actually, I sure don't.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ston3henge

I think Sony is pushing this media towards the new comic book collectors more than the old ones, they have all new stories that are epic from image comics and graphic novel type comics also

PSNIDCiocio313

An erronious assumption due to the fact that when you buy a digi-comic, you don't actually own a copy you simply have the images. Ask any comic collector of any age and they will try to explain the need to have the book in their possession in order to declare it a part of their collection, and that images and facimiles are great but worthless... and that, in addition to loving the characters and writing, etc. is way-importante to the hobby of comic book COLLECTING.

This is not collecting comic books. It never will take the place of the paper and ink. Go to a comic book convention, they'll tell you why it's so important. Like I said, I collected books when I was younger (I guess I stopped around the mid 1980s, buying hard-core and subscibing though I have been guilty of picking up an AVENGERS book from time to time, just checking in)... but I still consider myself a fan.

There's nothing wrong with this (digital comics)... you're reading too much negativity into what I said. It's simply the truth though, that you are buying something in idea and not in physical form - Which is a big issue of dispute lately with DDL for the Go - and that is NOT what I wanted to dredge up here, but something which a comic book collector will tell you is not within the boundaries of the hobby... and by the way, there's nothing "all-new" about stories from 2003. We're not talking about ancient history but this is certainly nothing new. They threw a bunch of CIVIL WAR-era comics onto the pile because it's one of the things which kept Marvel afloat and revived the industry for them.

If you like it then boom, there goes the dynamite... but you'll never be able to brag to any comic book collector that you have a digital representation of FANTASTIC FOUR iss#400. That's like gettin' a picture of Richard Pryor (watch his stand-up concert films to find out the message in that statement, they don't allow language like that here).

jasontdoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 jasontdoto
Member since 2005 • 510 Posts

I was always interested about "Onslaught" and the story behind it. I don't care to read comic books, but if I can find the Onslaught story I would probably wanna buy that. What # X-men is it anyway? Is there any recent adaptation of Onslaught on the recent X-ment cartoons on TV?

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

Well I've read the first issue of the warriors, and Dynamo 5 on my psp. If you've seen the movie for the warriors I don't really see any reason to read the comic so far. Dynamo 5 is fairly interesting since it sort of has unique characters w/ typical super powers. Sadly there's only 4 issues on the store, and w/ no promise of psn getting more I'm not dropping $3 on it.

I tend not to like comics too much they never seem to get the dialog right, and it just seems like they're talking to me like a child the whole time.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ston3henge

I like everything I've read so far off the Free-Bee page, and a few of the books would be sweet to keep up on in my opinion. I love the art in "Aleister Arcane", the story in "Burke & Hare" is good but the art is basic... the first issue of "Eternals" is cool, "NeoZoic" is a cool concept, "Star Trek" is good, and I even dig "Transformers". Another cool option is to play MP3s while you flip through the books... I really like the flow and the dynamic presentation of some of the panels. It's a great concept over-all, I just wonder about the price point.

kanstruku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 kanstruku
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

i bought one comic because i really wanted it and didn't find it in any store:D

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ston3henge

i bought one comic because i really wanted it and didn't find it in any store:D

kanstruku

Which one was it? Enlighten us. Perhaps it'll sell another $2 for PSN... :D

I think it's a good thing to begin sort of "reviewing" our comic purchases so that others are better-informed when they look at the comic rack. I'll say that I think "The Eternals" is pretty solid art somewhere between "Burke & Hare" and "Aleister Arcane"... it's a color book, and the writing is Neil Gaiman so it's hard to go wrong there.

I'd like to maybe get the Captain America where he dies but I feel like I need to read his whole CIVIL WAR story arch first. And more Hulk comics. And some AVENGERS... where is the greatest group in Marvel-dom? Perhaps some "Team-Up" or "Marvel Two-In-One" issues... I still prize my Super Skrull "Team-Up" issues. They were a hot commodity back in the day...

Comics make me feel old and young all at the same time, it's awesome!

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blacknight06

Read both Neozoic that i bought :D

Story only gets better, and the artwork doesn't change. It still looks good.

damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

well im going to purchase a few of the hulk and the civil war series. Maybe a few disney along with it.

On a separate note, like stonehedge said im not going to put a lot of effort into this except for a few titles that I like. If i was really a comic book lover, i would buy the tangible material, or in the very least have the direct marvel digital subscription. Ill stick with a few comics maybe once a month but i think its geared toward those not really into comics or once were and dont anymore, like myself.

I will say this, if DC got into this, which i hope they soon will I will be all on some batman. Maybe if the ps3 got comic support like they did the miniS, then that would get it out to more people.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ston3henge

The "Ghost Rider" comics are awesome.

damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

The "Ghost Rider" comics are awesome.

ston3henge

cool i might check those out now

shikakrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shikakrinks
Member since 2005 • 451 Posts

theres a free comics? gonna check it out later.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ston3henge

theres a free comics? gonna check it out later.

shikakrinks

Careful. It's like crack. You geta little and you're gonna want more!

:D

I was in a store the other day before the holiday and i looked up what it would cost to get these stories in collection volumes... the Hulk collection is around $30-$40 for the complete story, so as long as you're not a collector getting the books this way is the most cost-efficient from one standpoint, but having the books and being able to look at an entire page at a time, the physical print in your hands... there's really no substitute.

Things like the CIVIL WAR, those you really want the books especially because of how huge the scale is, plotwise... but getting a book or two here on PSN is a good way to try out the art and stories. Like Isaid, the "Ghost Rider" books are phenominally well done, top to bottom! Just wish each issue were a bit longer, but that's the greedy comic book collector in me!

ravemaster_866

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 ravemaster_866
Member since 2006 • 407 Posts

I don't. If they had some manga in there maybe but I've not liked the ones they have that much I have some of the older one already. But I will admit i like the consept and thing it was a good idea by sony.

shikakrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shikakrinks
Member since 2005 • 451 Posts

I don't. If they had some manga in there maybe but I've not liked the ones they have that much I have some of the older one already. But I will admit i like the consept and thing it was a good idea by sony.

ravemaster_866

oh yes, naruto please. but i can read those on onemanga already :P

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ston3henge

I think the thing that I really like about the "Comic Kindle" is the dynamic presentation, where the camera pans you over the panel or in the case of The Hulk or Transformers, they make it shake like there's been a heavy impact in a fight or action sequence. They also have MP3 control, so you can play music while reading a comic... the thing is a fantastic evolution for the genre. It'll never unseat ink and paper, but it's fun and I've come around on it a bit since this thread started.

Heh heh... with manga, they'd have to figure out how to run it backwards, wouldn't they? Well, right to left, anyway. Not "backwards". How ethnocentric of me to say something like that...

:oops:

Still... I'm interested to see how their offerings grow over the coming year.

*koff*MORE AVENGERS*koff*GET SOME DARK HORSE*koff*

lostcali8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 lostcali8
Member since 2005 • 2548 Posts

Ill get around to it I'm sure. Need some more good ones though!

Theres so many other issues I'd like to see up there it's ridiculous.

So far I've only "bought" 13 comics. They were all from the....ahem... free section....

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ston3henge

Huk & Ghost Rider. I'm tellin' ya.

From the free ones, I like the Dinosaur one... Mezozoic? Newvo-Zoic? eh... my memory ain't what it used to think it was before it burned out...

... do they update the comics every Thursday too?

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blacknight06

How do the age ratings work in comics?

There was a nude lady in my third issue of Neozoic and it says 8+.

I mean, not that i mind :roll: , but I was just wondering

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ston3henge

How do the age ratings work in comics?

There was a nude lady in my third issue of Neozoic and it says 8+.

I mean, not that i mind :roll: , but I was just wondering

blacknight06

I'm a bit suprised by the content to rating ratio too... but it's only language or partial, obscured nudity and they probably figure the body is art... Western cultures like the US need to mature a bit and not stress over the nudity thing. I'm not saying we should hand out copies of "Barely Legal" magazine to school kids, but the US has a pretty puritanical approach to sex and the human body that's antiquaited to say the least...

... if you purchase a comic with an "adult" rating you need to have the parental code to look at it. Seeing as most parents don't set the thing when getting it for their kids, I'm guessin that's not a huge issue to get around for most teenage boys playing a PSP... or creepy old dudes like me, for that matter!

8)