Who has excanged their PS3 hard drives?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

okstate91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 okstate91
Member since 2006 • 35 Posts
Alright so I bought a 60gb when they first came out, and I kind of wan't to outfit it with a 250 gb HD. What are the risks of this 'operation' and if any of you have done it, what are the rewards?
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Risks = none Rewards = more storage I replaced the 60 GB drive in my PS3 when it packed up and died on me. I installed a 160 GBer it took around 2 minutes to do. There really isn't much to it at all, backup your data, remove HDD (5 screws in total), replace drive, format, restore data.
okstate91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 okstate91
when you back up the data do u have to have like a portable usb like zip file to back it up on?
Blue-Sphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blue-Sphere
Member since 2006 • 1972 Posts
when you back up the data do u have to have like a portable usb like zip file to back it up on?okstate91
I don't own a PS3, but if I remember from GS's hard drive replacement guide for the PS3 right, an external storage device should be fine.
okstate91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 okstate91
i know but do u need 1
Blue-Sphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blue-Sphere
Member since 2006 • 1972 Posts
I'm not really sure. I think there might be a way, but hopefully someone else can come in and help you out. Getting an external storage device is just the easiest way I think.
motherboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 motherboop
Member since 2007 • 2382 Posts

IT"S EASY.

just get a portable hard drive (or borrow one from work), convert it to FAT32 if it isn't already, and upload all of your PS3 data to it. once its done, unscrew the one screw that holds in your current harddrive, and insert the new one. all the PS3 takes is a std 2.5' notebook hard drive.

I was going to convert mine to the new 320GB drive, but realized that I would never need that much space. I'm going with the western Digital 250GB scorpio (5400 RPM) instead. Even with that much space, I'll never fill it all up. Only reason I'm going for one that big is because I plan on keeping my PS3 for many years to come.

On a side note, I don't reccomend that anyone purchases an external hard drive for their PS3. Even if you are just planning on using it once, it's probablyeasier to find someone who is willing to let you borrow theirs in order to do the deed.