Who Actually Knows the Value of Exclusitivity Here?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts

After reading countless posts stating the two extremes:

"If you like exclusitivity, you're a fanboy" :roll:

or

"The 360 shouldn't be allowed "x" exclusive just because!"

I was kind of hoping there would be a few people here that still remembers why exclusives were around the first place and why they can be good. Topic. Discuss. Debates are welcomed.

R0rschach-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 R0rschach-
Member since 2009 • 1482 Posts

If there were no exclusives, only one console would be dominant. I mean, other than having better online and an affordable price,what other motivations are there for gamers to buy and support a 360? Exclusive games. If there was no exclusivity, people would gravitate to the "Better" console. People would begin to look at which console has the most to offer, excluding the concept of exclusive games... Perhaps more gamers would buy the PS3 as they like the fact that it has free online, a small failure rate, better hardware, and its a multimedia system. Perhaps people would see that the PS3 has more to offer for their money, than the 360. Face it, its true. Without exclusive games like Gears of War, or Halo, the 360 could be easily surpassed by the PS3 in terms of sales. Exclusives are here, because thats what distinguishes one console from the other, and offers much more choice for a consumer. Its as simple as that.

psyum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 psyum
Member since 2006 • 3268 Posts
I do, but cant be bothered of typing all the amount of knowledge i have :P i just like participating on your threads :P
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

I'd say it all depends on how you look at things.

Assuming you don't care what platform gets what and you just want to play as many games as possible:

Short Term: "Oh goody, another game I can play!"

Long Term: "This game will snowball with other games as support for this specific platform, hopefully launching a lot of support for this specific console giving me more games to play!"

Or if you're going to walk into a mindset of "exclusives make consoles" then it would be more along the lines of:

Short Term: "Aw man, I can't play this game."

Long Term: "Oh hey, not having that game on this console will demote the sales/interests of this console - ultimately leading to it's downfall or lesser support in the future!"

tl;dr: I'm not wearing any pants right now.

mattyperkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattyperkins
Member since 2008 • 357 Posts

Exclusives are also good for showing the TRUE power of a console. Because devs can worry about making the game specifically for that console. They dont have to worry about spending money on porting or anything like that. They just get down to the nitty gritty, and make a game thats console specific, and god it shows.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
[QUOTE="R0rschach-"]

If there were no exclusives, only one console would be dominant.

Sorry, i know its weak, but its true :P

That's what I think as well.
R0rschach-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R0rschach-

[QUOTE="R0rschach-"]

If there were no exclusives, only one console would be dominant.

Sorry, i know its weak, but its true :P

jimm895

That's what I think as well.

Expanded on my post :P

Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts
I think winning the exclusive battle is something thats really important; it distingushes your "platform" from the other 2. If all games were multiplat there would be no reason to purchase all 3. Features is also another strong arguement when it comes to deciding on a system, much like you would exclusive games.
eo_the_shaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 eo_the_shaman
Member since 2009 • 1800 Posts

i just hate seeing PS franchises going to the 360 cause a few of the franchises theyve gotten from PS they really dont got much else to go for them but to leech off the PS3

R0rschach-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R0rschach-

I think winning the exclusive battle is something thats really important; it distingushes your "platform" from the other 2. If all games were multiplat there would be no reason to purchase all 3. Features is also another strong arguement when it comes to deciding on a system, much like you would exclusive games.Nocturnal_Speed

Thats what i said :D

Avatar image for clarkportmanken
clarkportmanken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clarkportmanken
Member since 2003 • 1714 Posts

the whole exclusive topic is only important for console manufactures. i never understood why gamers should care. get the console with the games you want on them but if there weren't any exclusives then everyone get the games regardless. so its really more of an excludive then anything else.

lets be frank the hardware isn't vastly different, each generation one console a bit more powerful then the others they manufactures make a big deal out of it claiming certain games are only playable on their console because of hardware when its really just a deal they struck up. as people who play games i think we shouldn't care about exclusives.

if anything multiplats would allows some of our favorite franchise to invest double the capitol into dev cycle. theres not one game on either side of the fence thats impossible to produce on the other console. with the gaming field level that way it really will be up to the console manufacturs to flesh out their console to provide the better experience on their console.

i believe all exclusives are a bad idea for people who like to play games and a bad idea for publisher the later will more then likely start the end of exclusives especially in these times.

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

I think exclusives are good for the consumer because often flagship games are presented as exclusive games. They are the specific few chosen to represent that particular platform and as such a lot of time and money are invested into them to both satisfy their current users and entice new ones.

Plus playing a sweet exclusive makes me feel special and smug :)

Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nocturnal_Speed

[QUOTE="Nocturnal_Speed"]I think winning the exclusive battle is something thats really important; it distingushes your "platform" from the other 2. If all games were multiplat there would be no reason to purchase all 3. Features is also another strong arguement when it comes to deciding on a system, much like you would exclusive games.R0rschach-

Thats what i said :D

yeah I must type really slow, because there was no post, but when I pressed submit.... I was like the 20th post lmao mybad dude I saw that and was like *facepalm*
R0rschach-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R0rschach-

What are you sorry for? xD

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc291bf3d647
deactivated-5bc291bf3d647

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 deactivated-5bc291bf3d647
Member since 2009 • 6466 Posts

well its always fun recommending games like killzone 2, and infamous to xbox360 friends just to piss em off. and they usually are made better!

Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nocturnal_Speed
thought you were a little annoyed since you bothered to call me out thats all ;)
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

Exclusives are good for the BRAND. It's called brand loyalty. It's what all companies strive for and what Apple has done well.

As for us gamers...we who choose to only own one console have to something to cling to and identify with our choice of console. Exclusives also allow devs to focus on one console giving them the opportunity to better utilize the hardware. They help build the fanbase and make a console successful.

R0rschach-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R0rschach-

thought you were a little annoyed since you bothered to call me out thats all ;)Nocturnal_Speed

Ohhh. Damn. Did i really "call you out"? Lol i thought i was just making a little useless point.. anyways, i didnt intentionally mean to put you out there on the spotlight; so i guess maybe i should be sorry. Probably it was best if i had just not said anything at all :P

Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nocturnal_Speed

[QUOTE="Nocturnal_Speed"]thought you were a little annoyed since you bothered to call me out thats all ;)R0rschach-

Ohhh. Damn. Did i really "call you out"? Lol i thought i was just making a little useless point.. anyways, i didnt intentionally mean to put you out there on the spotlight; so i guess maybe i should be sorry. Probably it was best if i had just not said anything at all :P

lol good stuff... I feel SOOOo much better now :D
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts
No point in multiple platforms if there are no exclusives (this obviously isn't the case from the business point of view, since people are in the business to make money), but otherwise, there would be no debates on what is better besides online / media functionality if it weren't for exclusives.
blank33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 blank33
Member since 2005 • 1896 Posts

What would people in System Wars talk about?

xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts
I know the value of exclusives, every consoles need exclusives to make people want their console.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Symphonycometh

What would people in System Wars talk about?

blank33
Take the posts of this thread...turn them into demons, and make all responses 32343243x worse than they are now. lol
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

It started as a way for the consoles to differentiate from one another. Xbox gets this exclusive while Sony gets another. Depending on which system provided the exclusive games you like, would determine what exclusives you get. It has kind of strayed away from that now. Since technology has increased so much this generation, the system's features are now a deciding factor. Features have somewhat of an exclusive title, such as MS having Netflix.

The trend I'm not like though is timed exclusives. I don't see why a company would spend millions of dollars just to have a timed exclusive (GTA: L&D, Fallout 3 DLC, etc.)

soldjango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 soldjango
Member since 2005 • 701 Posts

I can't wait for this thread to breakdown into chaos :D

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Symphonycometh

I can't wait for this thread to breakdown into chaos :D

soldjango
Oh man. lol I have faith with the people who comment on my threads. And it isn't just because I'm known for bickering with anyone who screams "fanboy" out of fun. :P
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

Exclusives are good for the BRAND. It's called brand loyalty. It's what all companies strive for and what Apple has done well.

As for us gamers...we who choose to only own one console have to something to cling to and identify with our choice of console. Exclusives also allow devs to focus on one console giving them the opportunity to better utilize the hardware. They help build the fanbase and make a console successful.

cmpepper23

Pretty much what I was going to say

Shhadow_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shhadow_Viper
Member since 2009 • 2300 Posts

I know good exclusives are crucial to a consoles success, but I feel they are made to be bigger deal than they are.

BerserkerCE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BerserkerCE
Member since 2009 • 485 Posts

exclusives increase the consumer base, which gives devs more incentive to create exclusives. trust me. devs don't like going multiplat. if they can make a killing off 1 console like back in the SNES, PS1 and PS2 days. they would gladly do so. it's a chore developing for 2 or even 3 different consoles at a time.

_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
Long story short, if there werent any exclusives, all but the cheapest console would die out completely. Prefering one company over the other is like supporting your favourite football team for example.You like to see them doing well.Exclusives on a console can be a way of showing how well that console is doing or whatever. Its not fanboyish, which is a term im starting to get real sick of.
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts
Well, just imagine if Halo3 were on the console with the free online. Wonder if that'd tip the scales at all...
Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts

I know good exclusives are crucial to a consoles success, but I feel they are made to be bigger deal than they are.

Shhadow_Viper
I don't know about them being too big of a deal. The exclusives always include the best games. MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles, Killzone2, InFamous..... These are some of the best games available to the PS3 in my opinion and they're all exclusive.
spanky333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#33 spanky333
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts

"Exclusive"

"HD DVD"

"Blu Ray"

PSN

XBL

HALO

Killzone

Pepsi

Coke

Burger King

McDonalds

Buzz word

Marketing.

I made a pile of things.

LORDDICE1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LORDDICE1
Member since 2007 • 1263 Posts

it comes down to 1st party exclusives really. 3rd party exclusives are becoming a thing of the past for the most part. As far as Sony goes they have amazing first party games such as God of War, Infamous, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Heavy Rain (this I think is actually 3rd Party), Socom, Killzone etc. Microsoft with Halo, Gears, Fable. So the thing about exclusives really only matter to the person that can afford one system. Find the system that makes the games you enjoy more and go for that one.

With the amount of games now being multiplat from 3rd party, I am finding my self almost never playing my 360.

Shhadow_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shhadow_Viper
Member since 2009 • 2300 Posts
[QUOTE="Shhadow_Viper"]

Nephilim83
I don't know about them being too big of a deal. The exclusives always include the best games. MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles, Killzone2, InFamous..... These are some of the best games available to the PS3 in my opinion and they're all exclusive.

What comes to mind for me is all the BS concerning Devil May Cry 4 going to 360 as well, It might as well have been the apocalypse here. Instances like that are when it is blown out of proportion.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Symphonycometh
Long story short, if there werent any exclusives, all but the cheapest console would die out completely. Prefering one company over the other is like supporting your favourite football team for example.You like to see them doing well.Exclusives on a console can be a way of showing how well that console is doing or whatever. Its not fanboyish, which is a term im starting to get real sick of._Cadbury_
Me and you both. And I LOVE how no one is throwing that dumb word around this thread so loosely unlike every other thread. :twisted:
franky_babylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 franky_babylon
Member since 2008 • 1117 Posts

There are a lot of post here that shows a good idea of what exclusivity is. With that said if all current game consoles was capable of playing all games I would only own a 360.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I don't know what an exclusive is. I have all 3 systems and a PC :P

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Symphonycometh

I don't know what an exclusive is. I have all 3 systems and a PC :P

yokofox33
Boo to you! :P Boo to you! :P
double_heist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 double_heist
Member since 2005 • 2402 Posts
Exclusives are what shape up a system. First-party exclusive are now the important thing this gen because it's what attracts customers to that current system and defines the system's quality (PS3 has a good library of varying First-party exclusives such as Uncharted, GT, GoW, R&C, Motorsport, etc.) . Third-party exclusives are a definite plus though especially if they're the big names (Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Tekken, Soul Calibur, GTA, Fallout), but one system should not solely rely on third-party exclusives because if they lose those exclusives, it will make the system purely multiplatform and not having a certain identity.