Where are all the good rpg games man!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cjmilla527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 cjmilla527
Member since 2010 • 30 Posts

I'm wondering why there is a serious lack of quality rpg games nowadays. It seems that there is only 1 rpg game released every year that's any good. I feel like dragon age,oblivion,and fallout are the only legit rpgs to come out on the ps3.I do like Japanese rpgs somewhat but don't think they really compare to something like oblivion or dragon age.

Back in the day on previous consoles there seemed to be way more rpgs being released and now it feels as if the genera is on the brink of extinction for ps3 and 360 anyways.

I am praying that two worlds 2 will satisfy my need because it feels like I have been waiting a damn eternity for a rpg to come out that's worth my money, but im also not holding my breath.

I wonder if the demand for rpgs are small because they are so far and few between while there are way to many FPS games IMO crowding the shelves at game stop.

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts
I agree, i want more rpgs. But I just got Demons Souls and have been enjoying that (whenever Im not dying :P)
Stressthesky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Stressthesky
Member since 2009 • 490 Posts

Well, there's still lots of good rpgs being released, its just that not that many on the PS3 and Xbox360. If thats the kind of games you're after I'd say you're better off sticking to pc gaming to be quite honest. Just off the top of my head: The Witcher and Mount & Blade, are some that I'm playing at the moment.

red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts
back in the 90's...and on ds!
Xx-Addict-xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xx-Addict-xX
Member since 2009 • 1119 Posts
What i want is just like a fun HD graphics of a -> Dungeon Crawler, Hack 'n' Slash, and some cool spells..... That's what i want.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
*cough* On the ps2 *cough* Or in Japan. *Cough* Stayin' in Japan.
EkoHoshunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EkoHoshunin
Member since 2009 • 76 Posts

just buy demon souls its really cheap right now and is incredible 8)

metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts
agree - where the *beep* is all rpgs for the ps3???? ps2 had so many awesome myself im into jrpgs though the games u mention i feel is better to play on a pc then a console personally im looking forward to cathrine or any shin megami tensi product...persona 5 please... oh and well i did enjoy eternal sonata on the ps3
Xx-Addict-xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xx-Addict-xX
*cough* On the ps2 *cough* Or in Japan. *Cough* Stayin' in Japan.Fightingfan
I know there is on the ps2....but that is also last gen. But games in i want some WRPG's
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
Just get yourself a DS if you want a boatload of RPG. This is the gen of the FPS and online play, things that don't really come standard in the RPG genre. People seem to care less and less about a story mode these days, that doesn't bode well for an genre like RPG.
metalkitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 metalkitten
Member since 2004 • 9249 Posts
Just get yourself a DS if you want a boatload of RPG. This is the gen of the FPS and online play, things that don't really come standard in the RPG genre. People seem to care less and less about a story mode these days, that doesn't bode well for an genre like RPG. Sepewrath
true, i survive thanks to my ds, lol but im really sick of all the fps only to the ps3/x box360 - they need to put more focus on rpgs im not into the whole westernizing ot the gaming industry - i seriously get scared when japanease developers talk about doing more like western and fps - please no- we got enough of that i know it sells but im not a buyer...
olimcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 olimcool
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts

demon's souls is a really great rpg, my favorite so far this gen

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
I wouldn't be worried so much about "westernizing" as design philosophies are batted back and forth, with the basic core of game design still being deeply rooted the standards established back in the days by Japanese developers. The only real concern is the continued genre abuse, but that isn't anything new, each gen has its cash cow.
red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts

demon's souls is a really great rpg, my favorite so far this gen

olimcool
hard as hell too!
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts
  • Fallout 3
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Demon's Souls
  • Disgaea 3
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Dragon Age Origins
  • Enchanted Arms
  • Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
  • White Knight Chronicles
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Alpha Protocol
  • The Last Rebellion
  • Mass Effect 2 (yep it's coming to the PS3)
  • Star Ocean: The Last Hope
  • Resonance of Fate

I'm sure that i'm missing heaps more (not to mention the RPGs that are still coming out).

It's not the quantity we need with RPG games, it's the quality we're lacking.

Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts

What i want is just like a fun HD graphics of a -> Dungeon Crawler, Hack 'n' Slash, and some cool spells..... That's what i want. Xx-Addict-xX
youre basically describing demons souls, im getting back into it recently and pwning nubs in pvp. you can pick it up brand new for like 25 bucks

big_boss1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 big_boss1988
Member since 2008 • 1241 Posts

demon's souls and valkyria chronicles were the best of ps3.

Xx-Addict-xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Xx-Addict-xX

[QUOTE="Xx-Addict-xX"]What i want is just like a fun HD graphics of a -> Dungeon Crawler, Hack 'n' Slash, and some cool spells..... That's what i want. Thessassin

youre basically describing demons souls, im getting back into it recently and pwning nubs in pvp. you can pick it up brand new for like 25 bucks

I have it...i guess that is that genre when you take a step back and look at it.
yannick256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 yannick256
Member since 2010 • 292 Posts

I'm wondering why there is a serious lack of quality rpg games nowadays. It seems that there is only 1 rpg game released every year that's any good. I feel like dragon age,oblivion,and fallout are the only legit rpgs to come out on the ps3.I do like Japanese rpgs somewhat but don't think they really compare to something like oblivion or dragon age.

Back in the day on previous consoles there seemed to be way more rpgs being released and now it feels as if the genera is on the brink of extinction for ps3 and 360 anyways.

I am praying that two worlds 2 will satisfy my need because it feels like I have been waiting a damn eternity for a rpg to come out that's worth my money, but im also not holding my breath.

I wonder if the demand for rpgs are small because they are so far and few between while there are way to many FPS games IMO crowding the shelves at game stop.

cjmilla527

you got a point there.my ps3 is a christmas gift.i was happy when i had it.my cousin told me last year that they will release full rpg like whiteknight cronicle,oblivion,dragon age and so on......

i have played these games and i'm not impress.i have waited 1 years to get my hand on a good rpg and the only one i like is sacred 2 even if it's full of bugs.FPS rule now and 2 years ago i did'nt wanted to buy a ps3 because of too much war game and action game.and i must mention they are play and put away games

jnjreams76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jnjreams76
Member since 2008 • 770 Posts
was really excited when I saw Rune Factory: Oceans listed, then realized it was in JP only :( Awaiting DA 2 now....
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

*cough* On the ps2 *cough* Or in Japan. *Cough* Stayin' in Japan.Fightingfan

True that, but don't forget 1990's CRPG's.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#22 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

If you own a 60 GB PS3 or a PS3 that plays Backward compatability PS2 games, I would highly recommend Persona 4.

But if your looking for an RPG for the PS3, I would suggest-

• Valkyria Chronicles
  • Folklore
  • Disgaea 3
cjmilla527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cjmilla527
Hell yeah bro that would be nice. I miss the days of dungeon crawlers
cjmilla527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cjmilla527

Demon souls is a great title although I wish there was a checkpoint at the bosses. I beat everyboss except for the last one in valley of defilement and had to put that game back on the shelf. Its great but my fustration with starting levels over became to much. I like a challenge but my god demon souls is damb punishing. Makes me recall the days of crying and breaking my nes controllers fighting the last boss the jaqrio of ninja guiden 1 freakin out lol.

cjmilla527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cjmilla527
Yeah I feel ya quality over quanity.
cjmilla527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cjmilla527

Demon souls is a great title although I wish there was a checkpoint at the bosses. I beat everyboss except for the last one in valley of defilement and had to put that game back on the shelf. Its great but my fustration with starting levels over became to much. I like a challenge but my god demon souls is damb punishing. Makes me recall the days of crying and breaking my nes controllers fighting the last boss the jaqrio of ninja guiden 1 freakin out lol.

Avatar image for DrunkMonkeyFist
DrunkMonkeyFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 DrunkMonkeyFist
Member since 2003 • 687 Posts

I think RPG's evolved and splitoff into a bunch of different branchessuch asMMO's like WOW which boasts somethin like 12 mill players , or went in the direction of Bioshock which is mostly action with RPG elements thrown in ...

I actually miss the days of Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy , Chrono Trigger etc..

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Didn't realise that there were that many WPRGs on the PS2 oO I do see a reduction on JRPGs this gen, but WRPGs, the amount of them haven't changed much between PS2 and PS3 :S There might be a reduction on PC maybe

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#29 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

Someone mentioned a while ago that this gen is mostly about WRPGs, and I kind of agree with that. There are few traditional Jrpgs on the PS3, which sucks, but hopefully before the ps3 dies it will have a venerable library of your favorite adrogynous teenage protagonists, summoning, turn-based stuff and so forth.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Someone mentioned a while ago that this gen is mostly about WRPGs, and I kind of agree with that. There are few traditional Jrpgs on the PS3, which sucks, but hopefully before the ps3 dies it will have a venerable library of your favorite adrogynous teenage protagonists, summoning, turn-based stuff and so forth.

ThePerro

I don't agree. This year alone we got FF13, RoF, TU and AR and those are just 4 that came to my mind, I guess there were others as well :S The PS3 started horrible with JRPGs, but the amount of titles increases every year and 2011 will give us even more titles ^^