When can we notice the diff between Blu-ray and DVD-9?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

junk56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 junk56
Member since 2003 • 1748 Posts

I mean seriously, these next-gen games can fit on the same disc as those from prev gens. When do you guys think that the capacity of the blu-ray will allow developers to make superb games with much more content than those on DVD-9s.

Mass effect, Bioshock all those really nice looking games have a limit don't they? Where's the point where compressing it isn't enough and developers have to cut short a lot of content?

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts
well i guess this is not that big of a deal but i read that alot of time and money had to be spent to compress bio shock/ mass effect to fit on dvd-9 so technically its a bit cheaper for the dev to use blu ray
Trek5200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Trek5200
Member since 2007 • 599 Posts

Take a look at my post titled Resistance used 17gigs.

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 -oG-ShAdY
Member since 2006 • 1385 Posts

I mean seriously, these next-gen games can fit on the same disc as those from prev gens. When do you guys think that the capacity of the blu-ray will allow developers to make superb games with much more content than those on DVD-9s.

Mass effect, Bioshock all those really nice looking games have a limit don't they? Where's the point where compressing it isn't enough and developers have to cut short a lot of content?

junk56

The thing that will really show off the differences between DVD9 and Blu-ray is that unlike DVD9 games the Blu-ray games can run content off the disc uncompressed. That means that it can look sharper and the sound quality will be high. Also, games that don't have to be uncompressed by the hardware will also load faster.

jelopek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jelopek
Member since 2005 • 694 Posts

more multiplayer maps on BR disc...and you even don't have to pay more to download them...

Best Cut-scene quality...

Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts

UNcharted has no load times whatsoever because everything is streamed straight from the disc. This is only possible with Blu-Ray, due to the extra storage required.

Shu76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shu76
Member since 2006 • 913 Posts
you'll notice a differance between the two on Feb 16th 2008 (sarcasam)
jshigashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jshigashi
Member since 2007 • 528 Posts
LISTEN to Resistance on a good set-up.
Rengoku2TSTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rengoku2TSTH
Member since 2006 • 509 Posts
DVD= A good qaulity for any movie to see. Blue Ray + HDTV= The qaulity is so above all, it makes the movie stars ugly.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#10 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

[QUOTE="junk56"]

-oG-ShAdY

The thing that will really show off the differences between DVD9 and Blu-ray is that unlike DVD9 games the Blu-ray games can run content off the disc uncompressed. That means that it can look sharper and the sound quality will be high. Also, games that don't have to be uncompressed by the hardware will also load faster.

Actually, that's not true at all.

Game data is compressed, yes, to conserve space, but also because the HDD can de-compress game data far quicker than the 2x blu-ray drive (or 12x DVD drive, for that matter). That's why Oblivion pre-loaded 4GBs of data onto the HDD. And it's why PC games ship on DVD9s, but still load themselves onto the HDD.

Saying that hardware de-compression takes longer proves you don't know how games run.

On Topic: DVD9 and Blu-ray are just storage mediums. The only time you'll truly notice a difference is when a game ships on 2 DVD9s for the x360 and one BR disc for the PS3.

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TimothyB
Member since 2003 • 6564 Posts

DVD= A good qaulity for any movie to see. Blue Ray + HDTV= The qaulity is so above all, it makes the movie stars ugly. Rengoku2TSTH

He was talking about the extra storage being utilized for games, not the difference between movies,

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TimothyB
Also, I guess if a game has a lot of video cutscenes like a Final Fantasy game, the video can all be HD, while a DVD-9 would need to be SD.
De_Bears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 De_Bears
Member since 2002 • 1593 Posts
First differences are Stranglehold and Darkness. If you don't know what the difference is go ask somebody.
Rengoku2TSTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rengoku2TSTH
Member since 2006 • 509 Posts

[QUOTE="Rengoku2TSTH"]DVD= A good qaulity for any movie to see. Blue Ray + HDTV= The qaulity is so above all, it makes the movie stars ugly. TimothyB

He was talking about the extra storage being utilized for games, not the difference between movies,

Its the samething. The extra storage gives it more qaulity and features.
el_rika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 el_rika
Member since 2004 • 3474 Posts

First differences are Stranglehold and Darkness. If you don't know what the difference is go ask somebody. De_Bears

Exactly...

People saythe extra contentdoesn't matter right now, but it will slowly and surely become standard pretty soon.

Avatar image for elemental_drago
elemental_drago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 elemental_drago
Member since 2004 • 1816 Posts

First differences are Stranglehold and Darkness. If you don't know what the difference is go ask somebody. De_Bears

Dang, beat me to Stranglehold, didn't realize about the Darkness. I do know (at least from what I've heard/seen) that the Special Editionof Stranglehold (PS3 exclusive)will contain both the game and a movie (Hard Boiled, the prequel of sorts to the game) on the same disc. Than it will become obvious:D

9thwardice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 9thwardice
Member since 2006 • 856 Posts

[QUOTE="De_Bears"]First differences are Stranglehold and Darkness. If you don't know what the difference is go ask somebody. el_rika

Exactly...

People saythe extra contentdoesn't matter right now, but it will slowly and surely become standard pretty soon.

sgallag_play

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sgallag_play
Member since 2006 • 2007 Posts
I thought Resistance was on Blu Ray and StrangleHold is coming with the Movie Hard Boiled on the same Disc so it has to be bluray
Avatar image for FlaminUmpalumpa
FlaminUmpalumpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FlaminUmpalumpa
Member since 2003 • 264 Posts

it will have to be a ps3 exlusive that does it. resistance did a little. but when we start to see games like heavenly sword and mgs4 coming out they will probably be around the mid 20gb's. games coming out at the end of '08 will probably be around 35G.

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -oG-ShAdY
[QUOTE="-oG-ShAdY"]

[QUOTE="junk56"]

LosDaddie

Game data is compressed, yes, to conserve space, but also because the HDD can de-compress game data far quicker than the 2x blu-ray drive (or 12x DVD drive, for that matter). That's why Oblivion pre-loaded 4GBs of data onto the HDD. And it's why PC games ship on DVD9s, but still load themselves onto the HDD.

Saying that hardware de-compression takes longer proves you don't know how games run.

On Topic: DVD9 and Blu-ray are just storage mediums. The only time you'll truly notice a difference is when a game ships on 2 DVD9s for the x360 and one BR disc for the PS3.

I'm sorry if I misspoke about any of the technogagetry of the DVD9 and Blu-ray. But I was being serious about compression differences between the two. I believe that Uncharted is completely uncompressed and streams from the disc. That means no load times. Can't do that with a DVD9 it won't fit. DVD9 holds what 4.5 GBs? And Blu-ray holds 25GB per layer.

Robotron92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Robotron92
Member since 2007 • 520 Posts
HD quality stuff is alot of memory like someone posted already in an interview they said resistnance used 17 gigs and i bet ratchet will use maybe 20
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts

we wont see a real difference between bu-ray and dvd9 untill the gen is almost over and were ready to move on to the ps4 and nextbox

bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts

I'm sorry if I misspoke about any of the technogagetry of the DVD9 and Blu-ray. But I was being serious about compression differences between the two. I believe that Uncharted is completely uncompressed and streams from the disc. That means no load times. Can't do that with a DVD9 it won't fit. DVD9 holds what 4.5 GBs? And Blu-ray holds 25GB per layer.-oG-ShAdY
You're probably wrong again, but that's ok. Even with all of that free space game data is still going to be compressed on the disc because the PS3 has limited cache and RAM. Uncompressed textures and game data actually increase load times because the OS has to go to disc more often for more data. Compression is not a bad thing. I don't know why so many people think it is.

The only streaming you're likely to see uncompressed is background audio and full motion video.

junk56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 junk56
[QUOTE="-oG-ShAdY"]

[QUOTE="junk56"]

LosDaddie

so we'll never see games on the 360 that are shorter and less in quality because they have limited room? i mean, you're fitting mass effect on the same disc as knights of the old republic. There has to be some downside to that compared to having 25 gb of room.

Will games be more limited in textures, size and data in the future because of this dvd9 limitation?

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -oG-ShAdY
[QUOTE="LosDaddie"][QUOTE="-oG-ShAdY"]

[QUOTE="junk56"]

junk56

so we'll never see games on the 360 that are shorter and less in quality because they have limited room? i mean, you're fitting mass effect on the same disc as knights of the old republic. There has to be some downside to that compared to having 25 gb of room.

Will games be more limited in textures, size and data in the future because of this dvd9 limitation?

Since I'm wrong no matter what I say. I'm going to say "yes" anyway. You are right. More space equals more game content. Period.

shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 shadystxxx
Member since 2005 • 2158 Posts
[QUOTE="LosDaddie"][QUOTE="-oG-ShAdY"]

[QUOTE="junk56"]

-oG-ShAdY

I'm sorry if I misspoke about any of the technogagetry of the DVD9 and Blu-ray. But I was being serious about compression differences between the two. I believe that Uncharted is completely uncompressed and streams from the disc. That means no load times. Can't do that with a DVD9 it won't fit. DVD9 holds what 4.5 GBs? And Blu-ray holds 25GB per layer.

DVD9 has 9gb of space, and yes dvd can stream from the disc instead of having loading time's.

GTA4 will not have any load time's in game just like uncharted the only load time you will see on gta4 on a dvd9 disc will be at the start after the game will stream all the data from the disc while ingame.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 killroycantkill
Member since 2006 • 376 Posts
We will see the diffrence when more multiplatform games start leading on the PS3.
shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shadystxxx

it will have to be a ps3 exlusive that does it. resistance did a little. but when we start to see games like heavenly sword and mgs4 coming out they will probably be around the mid 20gb's. games coming out at the end of '08 will probably be around 35G.

FlaminUmpalumpa

All ps3 game's use 25gb blu-ray discs, although sony plan to up the limit to a 50gb blu-ray disc next year.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68761

shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shadystxxx

The only real difference a blu-ray disc will ever mean to game's is one day when texture's/graphic's/cut-scene's/sound all improve vastly over game's like gears of war/mass effect/bioshock/assasians creed etc etc blu-ray will be able to fit all this content on one blu-ray disc whileother console's will have to use multiple discs.

But as of this year and nextall thegreat looking multi-platform game's likeassasian's creed,dark sector,resident evil 5 etc will all fit on a dvd9 disc.

Personally i believe disc space will mean nothing other than one console will have to use multiple discs ifit is needed this generation.

And again personally i think the hardware will be the factor that makes the difference's between oneconsole having the superior graphics/AI etc.

JordanKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JordanKid
Member since 2005 • 1231 Posts
As you can see most people speaking negatively of blu ray in here have xbox stuff all in there signatures and stuff, i dont see why its so hard to admit blu ray is better then dvd9, it is, it is a FACT, so get over yourself and i dont care if you no this no that, who is going to believe you? their are professionals who state these things yet you guys will disagree? yah right, cmon, blu ray clearly is better, so like i was saying, you can say no thats not true, no its not like that, whatever you want, the bottom line is its better, but by how much?...apparently thats up to the individual people to put into their head but whether you believe its just less discs or a whole lot more its BETTER by a little or by a lot
-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -oG-ShAdY

As you can see most people speaking negatively of blu ray in here have xbox stuff all in there signatures and stuff, i dont see why its so hard to admit blu ray is better then dvd9, it is, it is a FACT, so get over yourself and i dont care if you no this no that, who is going to believe you? their are professionals who state these things yet you guys will disagree? yah right, cmon, blu ray clearly is better, so like i was saying, you can say no thats not true, no its not like that, whatever you want, the bottom line is its better, but by how much?...apparently thats up to the individual people to put into their head but whether you believe its just less discs or a whole lot more its BETTER by a little or by a lotJordanKid

I agree with you. In the next year we will see a big difference in the two, both data performance wise and storage.

shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shadystxxx

As you can see most people speaking negatively of blu ray in here have xbox stuff all in there signatures and stuff, i dont see why its so hard to admit blu ray is better then dvd9, it is, it is a FACT, so get over yourself and i dont care if you no this no that, who is going to believe you? their are professionals who state these things yet you guys will disagree? yah right, cmon, blu ray clearly is better, so like i was saying, you can say no thats not true, no its not like that, whatever you want, the bottom line is its better, but by how much?...apparently thats up to the individual people to put into their head but whether you believe its just less discs or a whole lot more its BETTER by a little or by a lotJordanKid

"As you can see most people speaking negatively of blu ray in here have xbox stuff all in there signatures and stuff"

I am not speaking negatively of blu-ray i am just stating my opinion, just because i own an xbox 360 doesnt mean i am going to put down another system unless i think them negative remarks are my opinion, i have negative opinions about 360 and wii, i also own a ps1/ps2/wii/gaming pc/nintendo ds/mega-drive/snes/amiga 600+/nintendo 64 and a spectrum zx.

And i never once said dvd9 is better than blu-ray, and if you read my comments properly it is clear i am of the opinion the blu-ray is a much better multi-media storage disc.

But thats it, blu-ray is a storage device for multimedia content like games and movies, there is not some special dye on blu-ray disc that will make hd graphics better, there is just more space which is needed for hd content like movies but so far it's not essential for a disc that size for gaming.

If a multi-platform game comes out thatneeds 15gb of spaceit will all fit on one blu-ray where as other console's will have to put that content on two dvd9 disc's.

Will that game look better or play better because of the blu-ray disc, no it will look and play better because of the hardware and/or how the developer's better used the power of that said console.

The only differnece the disc will make is when im playing on ps3 i will be able to put one disc in the drive and play that full game without interuption where as on another platform that uses dvd9 i would have to stop and insert a second disc to continue.

A minor inconveince which makes blu-ray disc better for gaming.

I have loved all sony console's and if i added which console i played the most over my lifetime it would be sony console's so dont act like i am bringing down sony or blu-ray just because i didnt say "yeah blu-ray is da bomb" and i have othe things in my sig.

The point being i speak my opinion no matter what, this is because i am not a fanboy of one console i am a fanboy of games.

shadystxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 shadystxxx
I forgot to say that certain people seem to think other console's are limited to one 9gb dvd9 disc my point being when games start needing more storage other console's will just use multiple disc's and ps3 will have the luxary of fitting everything onto one disc which yes makes the blu-ray disc better than a dvd9.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

[QUOTE="JordanKid"]As you can see most people speaking negatively of blu ray in here have xbox stuff all in there signatures and stuff, i dont see why its so hard to admit blu ray is better then dvd9, it is, it is a FACT, so get over yourself and i dont care if you no this no that, who is going to believe you? their are professionals who state these things yet you guys will disagree? yah right, cmon, blu ray clearly is better, so like i was saying, you can say no thats not true, no its not like that, whatever you want, the bottom line is its better, but by how much?...apparently thats up to the individual people to put into their head but whether you believe its just less discs or a whole lot more its BETTER by a little or by a lotshadystxxx

"As you can see most people speaking negatively of blu ray in here have xbox stuff all in there signatures and stuff"

I am not speaking negatively of blu-ray i am just stating my opinion, just because i own an xbox 360 doesnt mean i am going to put down another system unless i think them negative remarks are my opinion, i have negative opinions about 360 and wii, i also own a ps1/ps2/wii/gaming pc/nintendo ds/mega-drive/snes/amiga 600+/nintendo 64 and a spectrum zx.

And i never once said dvd9 is better than blu-ray, and if you read my comments properly it is clear i am of the opinion the blu-ray is a much better multi-media storage disc.

But thats it, blu-ray is a storage device for multimedia content like games and movies, there is not some special dye on blu-ray disc that will make hd graphics better, there is just more space which is needed for hd content like movies but so far it's not essential for a disc that size for gaming.

If a multi-platform game comes out thatneeds 15gb of spaceit will all fit on one blu-ray where as other console's will have to put that content on two dvd9 disc's.

Will that game look better or play better because of the blu-ray disc, no it will look and play better because of the hardware and/or how the developer's better used the power of that said console.

The only differnece the disc will make is when im playing on ps3 i will be able to put one disc in the drive and play that full game without interuption where as on another platform that uses dvd9 i would have to stop and insert a second disc to continue.

I have loved all sony console's and if i added which console i played the most over my lifetime it would be sony console's so dont act like i am bringing down sony or blu-ray just because i didnt say "yeah blu-ray is da bomb" and i have othe things in my sig.

The point being i speak my opinion no matter what, this is because i am not a fanboy of one console i am a fanboy of games.

Sir, you're spouting more than a few misconceptions. Uncharted Drake's Fortune developer Naughty Dog said that they are simultaneously streaming everything, from audio, level data, textures, animations, character models, everything, from the Blu Ray disc and HDD. This eliminates loading screens and allows them to make "maximum efficient use of available memory."

That is a quantifiable difference between Blu Ray and DVD. One provides for streaming content in order to remove load screens entirely. This is a product of the additional storage space, they have the ability to stream all this content. According to Naughty Dog, the demo will not fit on one disc.

In addition, as it has been discussed, FMVs and audio can be placed uncompressed (read, higher quality) on the disc if desired.

Also, games that are not linear, but open ended, will not have the luxury of simply shipping on two discs. If you have a multiplayer only game and it takes up 15 gigs due to streaming content, how are you going to fit it on a DVD-9?

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

Additionally, DVD is 4.5 GB per layer (9 GB dual layer DVD) and Blu Ray is 25 GB per layer (50 GB dual layer). So that statement is true.

Additionally, it should be noted that only a little over 7 gigs is available for the developer on a DVD-9 disc on the Xbox 360.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

[QUOTE="junk56"]

-oG-ShAdY

But so far loading times on the PS3 have been slower than the 360 :|

HeadSawed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HeadSawed
Member since 2006 • 119 Posts

Blue Dragon shipped on 3 disks when it was released in Japan on the XBOX 360.

As for will we notice the difference, I don't think so. As others have stated, games like Mass Effect, Bioshockand Oblivion are being fitted fine on one disk. I think I remember reading somewhere that Oblivion on the 360 with compression used only 5.5 GB. So I don't think it'll be much of an issue. And even if I have to get off the couch and switch disks, I don't see what the big deal is. I still like the idea of saying blu-ray has more than 5x the storage capacity. For games, I don't think it's of any use though.

junk56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 junk56

Blue Dragon shipped on 3 disks when it was released in Japan on the XBOX 360.

As for will we notice the difference, I don't think so. As others have stated, games like Mass Effect, Bioshockand Oblivion are being fitted fine on one disk. I think I remember reading somewhere that Oblivion on the 360 with compression used only 5.5 GB. So I don't think it'll be much of an issue. And even if I have to get off the couch and switch disks, I don't see what the big deal is. I still like the idea of saying blu-ray has more than 5x the storage capacity. For games, I don't think it's of any use though.

HeadSawed

well thats what peopel said when the ps2 was released. why would u use dvd when games can fit on a cd? Is the reason why gears of war is so short an example of limited content being able to be put in a dvd9? i mean, next gen games require 10x more content like textures, audio AI and all that crap so i seriously don't understand how future games can be able to be put on a dvd-9.

babystapler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 babystapler
Member since 2005 • 1679 Posts
LISTEN to Resistance on a good set-up.jshigashi

Resistance has some of the most intense sound effects and music I've ever heard--from any movie or game. I really felt like I was in the middle of a warzone. if you have a good surround sound system, the difference is incredible. More important than an HDTV even.
wallpaper42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wallpaper42
Member since 2005 • 4127 Posts
Well if a DVD game takesabout 1-2 years to make and blu rays have 5x the capacity then doesn't it mean that they will take around 5-10 years to make?! Maybe all the games to use up a whole blu ray disc are still in the making and won't come out for a few more years... I thought Resistance used almost a whole blu ray but I don't think they compressed anything or something and that's why it's average length. But hey, I just pulled all of that directly out of my ass.
dragon_1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dragon_1111
Member since 2004 • 63 Posts
there was a interview with one of the developers at insominiac games and he was talking about why gears was so short .... cuase of the textures and everything else it was huge but they compressed it to the max but it was still short due to the 8.7 gb limit ... and he went on saying that every level was around a gig...
dragon_1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dragon_1111
Member since 2004 • 63 Posts

Well if a DVD game takesabout 1-2 years to make and blu rays have 5x the capacity then doesn't it mean that they will take around 5-10 years to make?! Maybe all the games to use up a whole blu ray disc are still in the making and won't come out for a few more years... I thought Resistance used almost a whole blu ray but I don't think they compressed anything or something and that's why it's average length. But hey, I just pulled all of that directly out of my ass.wallpaper42

well resistance is 17 gigs and it only took a year to make :D

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TimothyB

[QUOTE="wallpaper42"]Well if a DVD game takesabout 1-2 years to make and blu rays have 5x the capacity then doesn't it mean that they will take around 5-10 years to make?! Maybe all the games to use up a whole blu ray disc are still in the making and won't come out for a few more years... I thought Resistance used almost a whole blu ray but I don't think they compressed anything or something and that's why it's average length. But hey, I just pulled all of that directly out of my ass.dragon_1111

That 17 gigs, is that uncompressed or compressed, please source

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -oG-ShAdY
[QUOTE="dragon_1111"]

[QUOTE="wallpaper42"]Well if a DVD game takesabout 1-2 years to make and blu rays have 5x the capacity then doesn't it mean that they will take around 5-10 years to make?! Maybe all the games to use up a whole blu ray disc are still in the making and won't come out for a few more years... I thought Resistance used almost a whole blu ray but I don't think they compressed anything or something and that's why it's average length. But hey, I just pulled all of that directly out of my ass.TimothyB

That 17 gigs, is that uncompressed or compressed, please source

Considering the load times... I'm going to say compressed.

-oG-ShAdY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -oG-ShAdY

Would you all please read what this guy had to say. He made a lot of good points that people just overlooked and continued to ask questions about. He answered many of the questions below his original comment before many of you asked them. I've highlighted the important stuff.

[QUOTE="shadystxxx"]

[QUOTE="JordanKid"]As you can see most people speaking negatively of blu ray in here have xbox stuff all in there signatures and stuff, i dont see why its so hard to admit blu ray is better then dvd9, it is, it is a FACT, so get over yourself and i dont care if you no this no that, who is going to believe you? their are professionals who state these things yet you guys will disagree? yah right, cmon, blu ray clearly is better, so like i was saying, you can say no thats not true, no its not like that, whatever you want, the bottom line is its better, but by how much?...apparently thats up to the individual people to put into their head but whether you believe its just less discs or a whole lot more its BETTER by a little or by a lotRedfingers

Sir, you're spouting more than a few misconceptions. Uncharted Drake's Fortune developer Naughty Dog said that they are simultaneously streaming everything, from audio, level data, textures, animations, character models, everything, from the Blu Ray disc and HDD. This eliminates loading screens and allows them to make "maximum efficient use of available memory."

That is a quantifiable difference between Blu Ray and DVD. One provides for streaming content in order to remove load screens entirely. This is a product of the additional storage space, they have the ability to stream all this content. According to Naughty Dog, the demo will not fit on one disc.

In addition, as it has been discussed, FMVs and audio can be placed uncompressed (read, higher quality) on the disc if desired.

Also, games that are not linear, but open ended, will not have the luxury of simply shipping on two discs. If you have a multiplayer only game and it takes up 15 gigs due to streaming content, how are you going to fit it on a DVD-9?