What's Y Axis,X Axis,Z Axis,and Z Rotation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by peteyday (939 posts) -
I've allways wanted to no this and now I need it because I got a laptop yesterday and I want to use my PS3 controller for it but to set it up,I need to move it up and down Y Axis,up and down X Axis,ect. So could you all please help me out.Thanks.
#2 Posted by csqwared (986 posts) -
dont bother setting it up on your computer, it works bad you can only use 1 analog stick, the other doesnt get a response, unless they updated it but i dont think they did...
#3 Posted by peteyday (939 posts) -

Bump

#4 Posted by peteyday (939 posts) -
Bump
#5 Posted by dilathrilla (138 posts) -

The different axes are how it detects it's area in space. If you look at a coordinate plane the x axis measures left and right and the y axis measures up and down. When a Z coordinate is added you can find a point in 3D space. So X and Y measure on a 2D plane while Z measures depth in 3D. The wii remote and the six axis controller detect movement in 3D coordinates by use of accelerometers. So the Z axis is up and down movement, the Y axis is foreward and backward movement, and the X axis is side to side movement.

The Z rotation measures how the controller is tilted in 3D space.

So if you want to program it for a driving game, you could have the Z rotation controlling your steering. There are also many more uses you will find with the X, Y, Z movement.

When you are setting things up just think back to high school geometry. :P

#6 Posted by peteyday (939 posts) -

Thank you very,very much.:D

#7 Posted by feel_freetwo (1888 posts) -
im pretty confident you shouldnt tell people you dont know what the x,y and z axis's are!
#8 Posted by hot114 (4489 posts) -

X = horizontal
Y = vertical
Z =3D (up/down)

Combining two (X,Y) as co-ordinates you can take on any position within a 2D space (sonic, mario, metroid)
Combining these 3 as co-ordinates you can take on any position within a 3D space

#9 Posted by azimiballer (1107 posts) -
why would u use it one your laptop that would be horrible.
#10 Posted by Denji (12757 posts) -
Actually I've been using Playstation controlers on my PC way before this and I gotta tell ya, the analog sticks aren't really all that great using on PC. You can't use both, and it seems to be one or the other (Analog stick vs the D Pad) considering you can't use the right one at all, there's really no point. Well imo anyways. I just have my PS2 controler hooked up (used to be PS1 but it broke) and just use the D Pad for whatever I'm playing. If you want dual analog sticks, Logitech made one for PC and it has drivers to properly reconize it.
#11 Posted by jonnyt61 (2147 posts) -
I use the Sixaxis on my PC for FFXI... Both of the analog sticks work just fine for me :/
#12 Posted by peteyday (939 posts) -

Ok,it still didn't work.

#13 Posted by Asian2go96 (25 posts) -
they did