What's with this outrage of Sony "stripping features" off the PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I know it all died down a bit but I still see people complaining and saying that Sony just strips features off the PS3, it's not that bad but people complain and just complain even though they probably don't even use the features. First of all it started with Backwards Compatibility, for those who had PS2's I would say that it's their own faults for not keeping their PS2 and not considering that they might want to go back to the games they played at a younger age. Plus Sony is considering collections for the PS3, but there are those who miss out on great PS2 games that may be made into a collection, like me. I want to play SotC and the old R&C games a long with Sly Cooper but I can't, it doesn't bother me but still, if I wanted it that much I might have went to get a PS2. It didn't bother me that much therefore I didn't get a PS2, in fact it doesn't even bother me anymore, sure I missed it but I still play games today that will be great classics in a few years.

Then there is the Linux thing, many people didn't use it in the first place and it was causing piracy. Obviously you don't want Piracy on your system if you were Sony because that can lead to major problems, especially because blu-ray is supposed to be nearly impossible to pirate these days, and even people who never used the Other OS feature complain about it being taken away, I know people love to complain and some Lemmings are just screaming it out but it's just annoying when I see a guy saying that they keep stripping features. What people can do is learn their lesson and keep their PS3 when the PS4 comes out which is what I will do.

xsynth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 xsynth
Member since 2010 • 864 Posts
Some people have nothing better to do
davidkamayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 davidkamayor
Member since 2008 • 1642 Posts

I know it all died down a bit but I still see people complaining and saying that Sony just strips features off the PS3, it's not that bad but people complain and just complain even though they probably don't even use the features. First of all it started with Backwards Compatibility, for those who had PS2's I would say that it's their own faults for not keeping their PS2 and not considering that they might want to go back to the games they played at a younger age. Plus Sony is considering collections for the PS3, but there are those who miss out on great PS2 games that may be made into a collection, like me. I want to play SotC and the old R&C games a long with Sly Cooper but I can't, it doesn't bother me but still, if I wanted it that much I might have went to get a PS2. It didn't bother me that much therefore I didn't get a PS2, in fact it doesn't even bother me anymore, sure I missed it but I still play games today that will be great classics in a few years.

Then there is the Linux thing, many people didn't use it in the first place and it was causing piracy. Obviously you don't want Piracy on your system if you were Sony because that can lead to major problems, especially because blu-ray is supposed to be nearly impossible to pirate these days, and even people who never used the Other OS feature complain about it being taken away, I know people love to complain and some Lemmings are just screaming it out but it's just annoying when I see a guy saying that they keep stripping features. What people can do is learn their lesson and keep their PS3 when the PS4 comes out which is what I will do.

XVision84

Well there reasons why it upsets people

The PS3 is more than capable of emulating the Graphics Sythizer and the Emotion Engine so the only real reason why it can't play PS2 games is no one would buy PS2s anymore as all they are really bought as is replacements

And Linux is primarily for people who like to complain (even though it is unlawful to take away a feature without compensation)

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

It kind of conficts with Sony's own It Only Does Everything campaign, which I find kind of amusing. It Only Does Less Than It Did Two Years Ago.

BC is a pretty awesome feature, from getting to use an official wireless controller to the upscaling to the (so good) virtual memory cards.

Linux was a silly feature, but its potential impact on piracy was minimal at best.

edit - there are also the physical things they removed over the years, from the memory card readers to the full complement of USB ports.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts
Its just people trolling and trying to make the PS3 look bad
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

It kind of conficts with Sony's own It Only Does Everything campaign, which I find kind of amusing. It Only Does Less Than It Did Two Years Ago.

BC is a pretty awesome feature, from getting to use an official wireless controller to the upscaling to the (so good) virtual memory cards.

Linux was a silly feature, but its potential impact on piracy was minimal at best.

edit - there are also the physical things they removed over the years, from the memory card readers to the full complement of USB ports.

DJ_Lae

Yeah I wish they kept the physical, I have a friend who has a 360 and wants to play PS3 with his PS2 controller (my second PS3 controller broke) but he couldn't because I have the newer 80gb PS3s without BC or anything. It sucks but not worth whining over.

ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

$$$

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

I didn't have a PS2 so I didn't have any PS2 games. Therefore taking away BC doesn't really matter to me. Taking away Linux doesn't matter to me either since I never used it and never planned on using it. Other than those 2 things I can't really think of anything they took away...well, other than those 2 extra USB ports which would be nice to have.

Wuflungdung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Wuflungdung
Member since 2007 • 634 Posts
Its just people trolling and trying to make the PS3 look badRTUUMM
No its not, its genuine customers like myself voicing their opinion on something that affects them because we have paid good money for them. And those who just shrug it off, just let companies do more and more to rip off the customers.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#10 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Okay, here's a sum-up. On the hardware side, they'd been stripping functionality with each new model. At first, it was relatively meek with the diff being lack of wifi and card readers between the 60gig and 20gig... but the 20 still had full BC. Then came the "limited edition" 80gig models... which were sure as hell limited alright, with having software BC that is still far behind what the launch models had, and have still... many games that are/were glitched with the softBC models, were fixed sooner or were already working fine on the hardware BC models. And then, Sony decides to clip the ps3's balls off and releases the 40 gig model... no flash memory readers, half the USB ports, and no BC... half a console, at full **** price. How is that such a good deal? :| Next came the slims, which also removed the Linux functionality... at first I forgived it because I thought it was a hardware issue, and I had no intention of ever touching a slim anyway. But now $ony goes and retroactively tries to remove the ability to install and run Linux on the ps3 and disguise it as a firmware 'update'. :| So now, because of their paranoia, I have to choose between a fully featured PS3, and hacking off functionality in order to play online or watch new bluray movies on my console. :evil: Yea, thanks so **** much, $ony. Those **** are trying to cock-block functionality on the PS3 like they've been trying (and unsuccessfully) doing with the PSP. At least it is unsuccessful there, because a PSP isn't worth having until you hack it. Now I hope the PS3 starts getting all this custom firmware treatment, and HOPE $ony gets hacked senseless. They deserve it for this **** of a maneuver.
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Some people have nothing better to doxsynth
Some people don't like companies over reaching into the feature(s) of their device they paid their hard earned money for..and pretty much own. I think the "Other OS" feature was a big plus for the PS3, I don't use it but it was always cool to have that feature there if you ever wanted to try it. So of course there's gonna be some tee'd off people. But because YOU could careless for the feature it means "People have nothing better to do?" Come on, that's being out of touch.
Spy_106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Spy_106
Member since 2005 • 712 Posts
That company removed that feature to protect their console from piracy and most of these people who ranted about that thing never used that Other OS feature or even a Linux.. If they're really in need of a Linux then they can do 2 partitions or more in their PC system and install Linux then and keep their Windows operating system
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

they were stripping features before the console was even launched. the PS3 was meant to have dual HDMI out......

Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts

I just bought the PS3 slim and I never got the features that people were complaining about. Still, no biggie, I am mightly impressed with my console and have no complaints whatsoever :P

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
No one complains about this stuff anymore....except maybe the people who complain about people complaining.
VALikimlav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VALikimlav
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
[QUOTE="RTUUMM"]Its just people trolling and trying to make the PS3 look badWuflungdung
No its not, its genuine customers like myself voicing their opinion on something that affects them because we have paid good money for them. And those who just shrug it off, just let companies do more and more to rip off the customers.

Exactly. I can't see how you guys would rather support a big corporation who doesn't even care about you, rather than other PS3 owners like yourself.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

As long as my PS3 plays games I buy at the store and I can play online with my friends, that's ALL I need it for. I don't need it to interface with another CPU, I don't need it to watch movies, I don't want to use my PS3 for ANYTHING but playing Sony-approved Store-bought PS3 software, and I could care less if it does ANYTHING else. I have other hardware for my movies, music, pictures, etc., etc. and a bloody PS2 slim for playing older titles.

Furthermore, anything Sony deems to be a problem with the system, I want removed, because like paying for shoplifters with higher prices in other forms of economic exchange, I'm tired of paying for the criminal element with re-sale for online play fees and other TRUE "hidden agenda" taxations... so please spare us your "consumer outrage" at the company protecting it's properties. If you are indeed that angry & you feel like you are righteous, then file a LAW SUIT. Complaining on a forum only gets sad people who can't think for themselves all whipped up and then they go and parrot your paranoia, changingfacts slightly each time until you haveLatvians buying PS3s to attempt a moon shot using coffee can rockets to promote Communism in outer space.

Sony isn't limiting your ability to have a good time with the console, it's just limiting the way the tech can be tortured or turned against it's creator or other gamers... there's NOTHING wrong with the company protecting itself OR the consumer public by changing the platform to prevent the tech being utilized in ways it shouldn't. Perhaps they should have thought it through better before releasing it to the public with everything in the first place, but a lot of times even the most thoughtful and creative employees working for the company can't see what the Frankenstein-like mad scientist types out there rig up to exploit a loophole in advance, and some of these precautions need to happen after the fact as a result. But again, the CONSOLE STILL DOES EVERYTHING IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO.

Some of you are just pissed because you can't get it to do what some people got it to do before the door got shut. I don't know what that is, and I don't particularly CARE. My PS3 still plays games and that's what I'm gonna go do with it... it's a rainy morning and I have a game that needs finishing.

NazzyQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NazzyQ
Member since 2005 • 1153 Posts

I can understand the outrage at the removal of BC , ( although people REALLY need to get over it now), but complaining about the loss of linux, which was a feature that hardly anybody used, is something I can't understand.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
The things removed on the hardware side was to give people a lower price and still people complain about not having everything that those of us that spent the cash in the beginning did. The other OS removal can be a plus for all of us in the end. With the door closed for piracy of games the price of games could drop in time. In the past the cost of lost sales were added to each legitimate copy of a game sold, this is the only way to keep developers in the business of developing games.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18809 Posts

I can understand the outrage at the removal of BC , ( although people REALLY need to get over it now), but complaining about the loss of linux, which was a feature that hardly anybody used, is something I can't understand.

NazzyQ
ppl dont watch over 80% of the cable channels being offered to them.so will it be right for Comcast to just delete those channels while u still pay the same price?
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

[QUOTE="NazzyQ"]

PSP107

ppl dont watch over 80% of the cable channels being offered to them.so will it be right for Comcast to just delete those channels while u still pay the same price?

Spurious logic, at best. Comcast recieves revenue from every channel it carries AND they get the subscriber fees on the back-end... Cable TV is a whole nother racket entirely and doesn't work as a comparrison. And further, if you DID remove those channels no one would complain. It's extra crud that the consumer DOESN'T USE IN THE FIRST PLACE - like Linux, like more than two USB ports, blah blah blah

Bottom line? If you don't like it, buy another product. But stop passing around selacious BS in hopes of finding a sypathetic ear... DID you use that extra stuff? Or WOULD YOU, EVER? Do you have the technical capacity to find an actual USE for what's been removed (aside from the backwards compatibility, which everyone could benefit from as gamers)?

Show of hands.

I want all of the people who're so up-in-arms about this to explain to us (the rest of the forum) just what they used Linux or "Other OS" options for... because I have a hard time feeling like this is anything more than a rich kid throwing a tantrum or some pseudo-revolutionary garbage about the Giant Corporation bringing some sort of Orwellian Foot down on our necks as consumers... and that's just trash.

So go ahead... if you actually used any of this stuff that you percieve as being "stolen away disguised as a firmware update", and you can actually talk about it on this forum without being modded, then DISH. Otherwise, SHUT. UP. If you are simply wringing your hands over lost liberties, then there are a LOT of much, MUCH more important causes in the world like genocide, starvation, nuclear testing, oil drilling, death, and destruction which could use another soldier.

It's a **** VIDEO GAME CONSOLE, people! So let's hear what you used Linux for on the dang thing... go ahead, we're listening.

Zombl337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zombl337
Member since 2009 • 327 Posts

Some people have nothing better to doxsynth

You git the nail on the head.....the features removed don't hamper the gaming expirience anyways, so who cares?!

aRealCoolGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 aRealCoolGuy
Member since 2009 • 1689 Posts

I cosign everything that MonkeySpot says.. word for word.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Don't bring that System Wars crap in here please, because none of us actually care.

KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

As long as my PS3 plays games I buy at the store and I can play online with my friends, that's ALL I need it for. I don't need it to interface with another CPU, I don't need it to watch movies, I don't want to use my PS3 for ANYTHING but playing Sony-approved Store-bought PS3 software, and I could care less if it does ANYTHING else. I have other hardware for my movies, music, pictures, etc., etc. and a bloody PS2 slim for playing older titles.

Furthermore, anything Sony deems to be a problem with the system, I want removed, because like paying for shoplifters with higher prices in other forms of economic exchange, I'm tired of paying for the criminal element with re-sale for online play fees and other TRUE "hidden agenda" taxations... so please spare us your "consumer outrage" at the company protecting it's properties. If you are indeed that angry & you feel like you are righteous, then file a LAW SUIT. Complaining on a forum only gets sad people who can't think for themselves all whipped up and then they go and parrot your paranoia, changingfacts slightly each time until you haveLatvians buying PS3s to attempt a moon shot using coffee can rockets to promote Communism in outer space.

Sony isn't limiting your ability to have a good time with the console, it's just limiting the way the tech can be tortured or turned against it's creator or other gamers... there's NOTHING wrong with the company protecting itself OR the consumer public by changing the platform to prevent the tech being utilized in ways it shouldn't. Perhaps they should have thought it through better before releasing it to the public with everything in the first place, but a lot of times even the most thoughtful and creative employees working for the company can't see what the Frankenstein-like mad scientist types out there rig up to exploit a loophole in advance, and some of these precautions need to happen after the fact as a result. But again, the CONSOLE STILL DOES EVERYTHING IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO.

Some of you are just pissed because you can't get it to do what some people got it to do before the door got shut. I don't know what that is, and I don't particularly CARE. My PS3 still plays games and that's what I'm gonna go do with it... it's a rainy morning and I have a game that needs finishing.

MonkeySpot

I thought I was the only one that felt this way. Thank you MonkeySpot! Lets not also forget that the Other OS feature was actually an added feature that nobody paid for, yet people will claim they "paid" for this feature...Well, no they didn't, Sony added it for free in a firmware update.

Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts

the 80gb almost run ps2 games as well as the 60 gbs. The 80gb had many firmware updates to improve emulation

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

Then there is the Linux thing, many people didn't use it in the first place and it was causing piracy.

XVision84

research before stating please, linux isn't required to hack your system as stated by geohot. i can only assume sony removed it as they found out geohot had used it to hack the ps3 and assumed others would do the same (and from what i understand its not exactly simple or quick)

as for the ps2 bc, its lame, really really lame. i know they're trying to save a little money on the consumer by removing features from a product but i have a feeling that bc was one of the cheapest extras they could remove. i'm pretty sure this was so that they could continue to push ps2's and software, from a business standpoint thats wonderful, from a consumer standpoint thats pretty low (especially since all ps2's were b/c w/ ps1 games)

Lets not also forget that the Other OS feature was actually an added feature that nobody paid for, yet people will claim they "paid" for this feature...Well, no they didn't, Sony added it for free in a firmware update.

KamuiFei

really? b/c mine initially had the other os option right out of the box.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#28 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
My guess as to the real reason Sony removed Linux - laziness. They already removed it from the Slims and taking it out on all PS3s removes something else for them to test every time they release a system update. I never used it myself as I have a PC in close enough proximity to my TV that I have it constantly connected via HDMI, but if not I can certainly see the appeal for things like MAME and emulators. Which I realize is on the edge of legality, but Sony more or less gimped Linux support by having such a limited amount of memory in the PS3 and locking off the GPU. As for removing things lowering the price for consumers...BS. They removed things to cut manufacturing costs to save THEMSELVES money. That's how businesses work. It's just in Sony's case they would have been far better off not including all those features at launch, except they'd have been caught in a bit of a bind trying to peddle $600 systems with no added benefit over the competition but wi-fi and blu-ray support.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18809 Posts
[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="NazzyQ"]

Spurious logic, at best. Comcast recieves revenue from every channel it carries AND they get the subscriber fees on the back-end... Cable TV is a whole nother racket entirely and doesn't work as a comparrison. And further, if you DID remove those channels no one would complain. It's extra crud that the consumer DOESN'T USE IN THE FIRST PLACE - like Linux, like more than two USB ports, blah blah blah

Bottom line? If you don't like it, buy another product. But stop passing around selacious BS in hopes of finding a sypathetic ear... DID you use that extra stuff? Or WOULD YOU, EVER? Do you have the technical capacity to find an actual USE for what's been removed (aside from the backwards compatibility, which everyone could benefit from as gamers)?

Show of hands.

I want all of the people who're so up-in-arms about this to explain to us (the rest of the forum) just what they used Linux or "Other OS" options for... because I have a hard time feeling like this is anything more than a rich kid throwing a tantrum or some pseudo-revolutionary garbage about the Giant Corporation bringing some sort of Orwellian Foot down on our necks as consumers... and that's just trash.

So go ahead... if you actually used any of this stuff that you percieve as being "stolen away disguised as a firmware update", and you can actually talk about it on this forum without being modded, then DISH. Otherwise, SHUT. UP. If you are simply wringing your hands over lost liberties, then there are a LOT of much, MUCH more important causes in the world like genocide, starvation, nuclear testing, oil drilling, death, and destruction which could use another soldier.

It's a **** VIDEO GAME CONSOLE, people! So let's hear what you used Linux for on the dang thing... go ahead, we're listening.

well maybe the Comcast comparsion wasnt the best, but it still not fair to delete stuff they people paid for. Why you think SOny is getting sued? Didnt some guy in the UK got a refund?