Whats the point?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jjivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 jjivey
Member since 2010 • 1354 Posts

Lately ive been getting much less likely to purchase a game on release date. The price seems to almost be half its value in less than a month. Two good examples for me are White Knight Chronicles and Dante's Inferno.

Both these games i paid $60 + tax for. I was searching just recently and found both used for under $40 and they are not even a month old. The day that Dante's Inferno, Star Ocean, and Bioshock 2 came out i purcahsed all three for $191 from Gamestop. I bet i could get all three now for around $120 and its a little over 2 weeks since they have been released.

Unless a game comes out i must have (GOW3 and FF13, but even these will probably be 40 in a few weeks as well) i doubt ill be doing anymore release date purchases. Seems such a waste of money.

Anyone agree with me?

GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
I always usually wait to buy games. Saves me money, don't have to worry about backed up games not being played and it saves me money lol. The only time I buy a game brand spanking new is if I REALLY want it. Only a few times does that actually happen.
SylvanMidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SylvanMidget
Member since 2009 • 600 Posts

I buy the big ones like FF and CoD at launch, but I usually wait 6+ months to buy other games.

I still have yet to play Uncharted 2 and Bioshock 2, those will be my next two after FF, then Heavy Rain is going to come after that.

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

Right now I'm trying to save money and focus on school so I haven't been able to buy any games lately...I really want Bioshock 2, Heavy Rain, and Bad Company 2, but I'll probably just wait another month or so before I pick any of them up.

azzezino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 azzezino
Member since 2002 • 4570 Posts
I like to wait on games to get a price cut or take advantage of the buy 2 used games & get the third one free deal GameStop sometimes offers. I only buy games on release day when the preorder bonus is good.
Chelseablu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chelseablu
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts

.....I own 20 games, if each was bought for £40 that would mean i'de spent £800.......but because i waited and bought them for £15 each, i have only spent £300.....saving myself £500 which will buy me a further 33 games, a new mountain bike or a lovely big TV to watch football on.......do the math!!

jjivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 jjivey
Member since 2010 • 1354 Posts

.....I own 20 games, if each was bought for £40 that would mean i'de spent £800.......but because i waited and bought them for £15 each, i have only spent £300.....saving myself £500 which will buy me a further 33 games, a new mountain bike or a lovely big TV to watch football on.......do the math!!

Chelseablu

amen to that

Ive saved a ton of money buying older used games and using sales such as buy 2 get 1 free.

Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

I do buy games on release day, but only if I get a good deal on them -- if you look around there are usually deals to be had even for new games. (I got Bioshock 2 on release day for $22.99)

The only games I pay full price for are games that are niche – the big name games always drop in price if you are patient enough. I only pay full price for a game if I'm worried that it may go out of print.

But I will say that companies are starting to provide better incentives for people to pay full price on day one – preorder goodies such as DLC. Paying full price but getting extra goodies is worth it to some people. Not me because I'm not a collector and I noticed that preorder DLC often gets released to the general public later on – for example the gigawatt blades in Infamous and the secret locations in Assassins Creed 2. But if I was a collector I would definitely be more willing to pay full price for games.

Then again people who pay full price on day one get some benefits – they get to play the game before it gets spoiled from people discussing the shocking ending, etc., on the forums. And they also don't have to wait to get their game fix – having to wait for a price drop can be hard, especially when it's a game that everyone is declaring is the greatest game ever.

Also, for multi-player games it can sometimes be crucial to get the game early – by the time the price drops, multi-player may be dead or people may be so levelled up that you won't have a chance.

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ospov

Also, for multi-player games it can sometimes be crucial to get the game early – by the time the price drops, multi-player may be dead or people may be so levelled up that you won't have a chance.

Solori

However waiting a couple weeks or a month might be better for you overall gaming experience. It seems like every online game that's come out in the past year has had server problems for the first week or two. I remember when Fat Princess was released and nobody could connect online. The game's single player is only an hour or two long yet the multiplayer wasn't fixed for about a week. I thing the same thing happened with MAG and MW2, but they were fixed sooner.

naaros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 naaros
Member since 2009 • 330 Posts

I used to buy games new all the time. Now, I'm typically short of cash, so I buy games used or at least on sale/cheaper when I can. Exceptions are games I've been waiting for a while like FFXIII (buying day 1).

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Same here. I got my PS3 last year, so I've got a couple years worth of games to catch up on. I don't see any reason to run out and spend $60 for today's greatest game when I can buy two of last year's greatest games for that same amount.

newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 newhighscore
Member since 2008 • 2037 Posts

im a bargain shopper (the economy forces me to be) i almost always wait for the price to drop on a game. ive paid full price for maybe 4 games in my collection (i own over 30 games) ive gotten games for as low as $7 NEW (nba street homecourt) you just gotta know where to look.

i dont see the point in release date buys...unless you pre-ordered and you get some cool bonus. the games going to drop ten to twenty bucks in a matter of 90 days it seems lately. might as well keep busy with something else til you can get it for cheaper.

TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

Its called impulse buying....I buy games and they sit in the plastic for months.......Try thinking like a cheap skate would.....

Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

However waiting a couple weeks or a month might be better for you overall gaming experience. It seems like every online game that's come out in the past year has had server problems for the first week or two. I remember when Fat Princess was released and nobody could connect online. The game's single player is only an hour or two long yet the multiplayer wasn't fixed for about a week. I thing the same thing happened with MAG and MW2, but they were fixed sooner.

Ospov

Good point. I remember MW2 trophies were screwed up when it was first released. Very irritating.

On the other hand,they fixed it quickly and it was fun playing it that first month or so because everyone was generally on the same level and it was too early for all the hackers and cheaters to really impact the game.In any event, that was another game that I got a good deal on -- I bought it new on release day for cheaper than you can buy it now, months later.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
Single player games I always buy later when the price drops. Multiplayer games *caugh BC2* I'll get day 1 for the full price.
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ospov

Good point. I remember MW2 trophies were screwed up when it was first released. Very irritating.

On the other hand,they fixed it quickly and it was fun playing it that first month or so because everyone was generally on the same level and it was too early for all the hackers and cheaters to really impact the game.In any event, that was another game that I got a good deal on -- I bought it new on release day for cheaper than you can buy it now, months later.

Solori

I guess the best thing to do would be wait a day or two and watch the forums to see if anybody is having problems and pick up the game right when the problems are solved.

shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

Single player games I always buy later when the price drops. Multiplayer games *caugh BC2* I'll get day 1 for the full price.PetJel

BC2 was proably the first game I ever preorder and got on day 1. Heck I think it is the first new game i brought for my ps3 (couldn't find use valkrie chronicles)

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

I pretty much don't buy within the first months of release, UNLESS I have it pre-ordered and there is some kind of deal on the pre-order. If there is no deal I will usually wait for a game to become cheap after about a year or so on the market. Most of my PS3 games I've gotten for less than $30. I wait either for a special sale, or black friday type deal (or gamesl like Bioshock and Dead Space by the time I picked up my PS3 their regular prices were already $19.99 or less).

Bad Company 2 = $20 credit effectively makes game $36.99 (my pre-order was 56.99, now it's 59.99)

Madden 11 = $20 credit effecitvely makes game $39.99

God of War 3 = $10 credit to make it $46.99

Very few games I will get with no special pre-order discount.

Gran Turismo 5 I am hoping for a discount, but have it pre-ordered regardless. If there is a "must have on Day 1", this is probably it for me.

3D Dot Game Heroes I am giving a chance because the regular price is pretty resonable ($36.99)

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Ryan_Som
Member since 2009 • 2474 Posts

Right now I'm trying to save money and focus on school so I haven't been able to buy any games lately...I really want Bioshock 2, Heavy Rain, and Bad Company 2, but I'll probably just wait another month or so before I pick any of them up.

Ospov

Dude, you have the exact same dilemma AND wish list as me. Hooray for good taste! :P

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
where did u see it used, cuz gamestops usually only have em for 55 bucks used.
ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

do you know why tv comercials are only 30 seconds long?

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#22 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

Umm... no. A lot of games take months for the price to drop. I'm happy paying full price for a game when I know it will be great