Whats a decent sized lcd monitor/tv for ps3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Rigour_Mortise
Member since 2006 • 873 Posts

Note that I will be sat approximately 2 metres away from it.

Im looking to buy a new tv/monitor to "go HD" on and seen as monitors are cheaper I was looking at these more (i have a sound output thing so speakers dont matter) I noticed that theyre quite cheap, all the way up to 22", but beyond that (24") they get like £200 more expensive for some reason. Anyway I can afford a very good Acer 22" 1080p HDCP 2500:1 monitor, I was just wondering whether this is big enough.

I don't want to be squinting or nything, Ive also notice that as monitors / TVs go furrther than 22", their resolution stays the same, wouldnt this cause a bit of blurring? Its effectively just blowing up the image, not actually making it larger.

Anyway what im asking is, is 22" big enough? and what can I compare it to to get a feel for the size? I measured an A3 sheet of paper to be 20" but I dont think its the right dimensions. Does anyone know of a wide screen size comparison on the net? Because I have a 32" downstairs and thats huge!

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 ZimpanX
Member since 2005 • 12636 Posts
2 meters and a 22'' monitor? You would need something that is twice as big for that distance my friend.
Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rigour_Mortise
hmmm I dont really wanna move my couch closer everytime i play games on it or watch tv, thanks for the help
Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rigour_Mortise
I might keep my SDTV to watch TV on, its something like 28" (not widescreen), But i hardly ever watch TV upstairs, itd be a waste
Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rigour_Mortise
I searched 22" monitor in google and there was a load of oriental women holding 22" ones and they looked huge. Then again I dont mean to cause offense but oriental women are renowned for being small. Has anyone got any comparisons to a 32" cos I know how big one of them is
Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rigour_Mortise

Massive!

DQSPEAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 DQSPEAR
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts

22" inch is quite small, but i will do i suppose, oh and if you can you should move your TV closer or something.

Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rigour_Mortise
Ive just had an idea, is there a big like magnifying screen you can buy to put in front of your monitor, to make it look bigger, cos I know the resolution isnt that different between 22" and 32"
ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZimpanX
Well as you said japanese people aren't really the biggest ones :P, and a 22'' would look massive if you were sitting from the right distance which is about 0,8 meters/2,5 feet.
Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rigour_Mortise
hmm as if I was on a PC, maybe I just need a more comfy PC chair
Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rigour_Mortise
more comfortable*, bad grammar on my part
Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rigour_Mortise
Ive got a 17" (non widescreen) monitor at the moment, will it seem much bigger than that?
ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ZimpanX

At first every time you upgrade your monitor size you will think it's absolutely huge, but you will adjust very quickly and then even realize that it is too small.

When I got my 32'' Samsung I'm using right now I thought that it was way too big and I maybe made a bad decision but after a while a adjusted and now think the size is absolutely perfect for my distance and I could not have been any more happy.

coochie_kuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 coochie_kuta
Member since 2003 • 660 Posts
22 is plenty, you wont be lacking on picture whatsoever. you could always go to a store and have them demo you a comparable monitor.
Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rigour_Mortise
lol I hope thats your sig
Avatar image for ragdollsrock012
ragdollsrock012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 ragdollsrock012
Member since 2007 • 396 Posts

Just get a Sony Bravia. Those kick serious butt.

Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rigour_Mortise
Oh yeah good idea, just send me some of your money and Ill get right on it
ragdollsrock012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ragdollsrock012

Go to ebay and type in sony bravia.

Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rigour_Mortise
did do, the only one I can afford is a whopping 15 inches. My price range is 100 to 200 GBP
ragdollsrock012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ragdollsrock012
Oh, OK. I didn't know the price range.
PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#21 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

Well when I initially started my "HD upgrade", I actually had it in mind that I knew I wanted something bigger than my original 19" SDTV that I had b/c this was like right around the time I was seriously consider not only getting into the world of HD, but also getting a PS3.

Hmm, you mentioned 2 meters and I guess in relations to a 22" monitor.....I'm from the US so pardon me as I calculate the 'meter' measure, LOL.....2 meter is about 6 ft. distance, I think? So, hmm, for a monitor I'm not too sure about--a TV I suppose that's ok, but it depends. Let me ask you, is gonna be somewhere like a in a bedroom or some sort of studyroom? The reason I ask is b/c I ended up getting me a 26" Vizio HDTV for like $498 (I guess that's about 254GBP or so) and it's about the same viewing distance away in my bedroom and it looks fly as hell to me and suits me just fine! :P

My best advice would be instead of looking at specs "on paper" just try going to a few brick-and-mortar electronic or retail stores--like a Walmart or something (not sure if you all have Walmarts in the UK, but maybe something similar) and just take a look at a few different sizes and models--then base that on the current rooms setup that you're thinking about putting it in; that way you can actually maybe stand (or sit if they got a chair or something close enough, LOL) about 2 meters from a actual TV and see if you think it'll work for you.

And to answer your questions in relations to how big it will look compared to your SD 17", I will answer that with a "definitely", LOL. Being someone that used to have a 19" SDTV in my room and still having a (I think) 15" monitor for my desktop, I will tell you anything beyond the teens-range, in monitors or TVs, and widescreen will simply trump! It might be a little tricky to tell in a store, but believe me get one home and swap out and you'll be like "damn!" :shock:, is this what I been missing? LOL

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
2 meters? Anything under 32" is a total waste
Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rigour_Mortise

To Pmkin Boogie,

Thanks a lot! thats a holy great wall of info you gave me there, your right the obvious solution to my problems would be to get my lazy arse off to a shop, Ill probably do that some time. And in answer to your wondering, the UK does have a Walmart owned shop, its called Asda and sells primarily food. We have a shop similar to Walmart but not owned by them, its called Woolworths.

HonorPrez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HonorPrez
Member since 2004 • 41 Posts

this is the monitor I use for playing my ps3 (I think, but the picture is pretty small) , it's a Samsung Syncmaster 245bw and it's awesome, 24", 1080p, $400USD

Massive!

Rigour_Mortise
Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rigour_Mortise
The monitor in the pic is 22"
PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PumpkinBoogie

Not a prob!

Hell, I know how it is about actually getting the motivation to get up and go see how HDTVs is all about; I did most of my specs research online, too. But the difference really separates the 'mice and men' when see how most of the HDTVs look in person! Cuz sometimes what you thing seems too big/small on paper might be opposite of what you see in actuality.

Damn, all your Wally Worlds (our affectionate US name for it, LOL) is just food?? Yeah....I guess TVs are not gonna be found there, LOL. But yeah you could try something like Woolworths--especially if you think their prices are good. Matter of fact, I used to remember we had Woolworth stores in the US back in the day--like about 15 yrs or so ago (clearly I'm tellin' on my age here, LOL)--when I was growing up. But unfortunately I think it was the Walmarts that ran them out of business here, tho'. :(

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PumpkinBoogie

The monitor in the pic is 22"Rigour_Mortise

Yeah, I was just about to ask what size that was too.

For monitor 22" is a pretty nice size, especially if it's widescreen, for a TV it might be cool, too. But I think with a TV compared to monitor, I think I remember reading in some PC magazine that there are subtle differences in monitors and TVs--I'm talking about LCD, HD-types (not comparing them on a SD-level). But I guess it depends what other uses you may use a monitor for--if it's just gonna be hooked to your PC and maybe a PS3 then it'll probably do. But I guess if you also wanna watch TV show and get to the HD programming many TV/cable/SATV are starting to offer more of then you may wanna spring for an actual TV model.

Well most HDTV have at least one PC monitor port in the back and I've certainly know many who've double nice 22" and over HDTVs as their PC monitor and viewing television.

Silverdragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Silverdragon17
Member since 2005 • 664 Posts
20-22-24 Dell Monitor (1080p). Cheaper than HDTVs of the same size. I use a 20 inch monitor. They come with hdmi ports. Just know how your gonna hook up the sound. I use the dell soundbar.
w7w7w7w7w7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 w7w7w7w7w7
Member since 2006 • 4891 Posts
32" is a great size.
julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts

hmm as if I was on a PC, maybe I just need a more comfy PC chairRigour_Mortise

Alright I need to ask you a question and then I think I can help you what is your price limit and what is your comfortable price limit i.e. what would you like to pay, and what are you willing to pay.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
I think 24 inches would be better.
BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BeErBOnG29
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

If you get a TV that's too small you will end up regretting it. IMO, as long as you have the space, you can't get too big. I have a 37" 1080P in my room and I thought it was HUGE at first, but now I wish I actually got bigger. Like a 40 or 46".

Here's a picture of mine:

XxAnubisxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 XxAnubisxX
Member since 2003 • 4978 Posts
I have a 26inch because it would be the largest I could fit in my entrtainment center... I guess thats what I could call it... I play from a few feet away myself... it does the job well... 720p But I like it... just got it... and it works for me while im stuck here in the dorms
1-800-ANDY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 1-800-ANDY
Member since 2007 • 272 Posts
bigger the better
soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts

I have a 22 inch and I couldnt be happier with it .. I sit at the ps3 like a pc

I honestly think a good sound is more vital to the ps3 games ..

I wouldnt get less than 22 though, I personally think its the perfect size ... or bigger of course :?

Stavr0s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 Stavr0s
Member since 2007 • 1003 Posts

Massive!

Rigour_Mortise

Actually, she's pretty small, which I like. . .

Wait. . .were you talking about the TV? Meh, I'll take the girl for the same price, and keep her too. XD

I don't even have an HDTV, I'm stuck with a 26" SD. . .Me=poor. . .mostly. . .

rhyumavampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rhyumavampire
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts
Bah, don't listen to these people. If this is your first HD screen, 22" will suit you just fine. 2 meters away is pushing it but I just measured it from my 22" monitor and it's fine. The only thing it's going to suck for, is split screen, but it still gets the job done. I use mine frequently for split screen, but we sit more like 1 meter away, not 2.
BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BeErBOnG29
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

Bah, don't listen to these people. If this is your first HD screen, 22" will suit you just fine. 2 meters away is pushing it but I just measured it from my 22" monitor and it's fine. The only thing it's going to suck for, is split screen, but it still gets the job done. I use mine frequently for split screen, but we sit more like 1 meter away, not 2.rhyumavampire

22" is extremely small for 6 feet away. Good luck playing any games that include text or finding items on screen.

Not to mention, it's basically pointless to get HD at that size and distance ratio. You wouldn't be able to tell the slightest difference between HD and SD.

b0ssy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 b0ssy
Member since 2007 • 602 Posts
THE BIGGA THE BETTA