What would you want from a new Demon/Dark Souls?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

puddinghead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 puddinghead101
Member since 2012 • 190 Posts

I can only assume that since the first 2 were so successful that a new souls game will be made eventually.So what do you think they could do to make it better than the others or what do you think they need to keep?

I'd say that the open world aspect of Dark Souls and something equivalent to the bonfires need to be kept.

As for changes I'm not sure. I know people would like more of a story and I agree but it has to be told in a way that you discover it rather than it just being told to you if that makes any sense. But anyway what do you guys think?

csadhoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 csadhoo
Member since 2004 • 1462 Posts

voice chat....lol

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

voice chat....lol

csadhoo
Lol...voice chat!? I hope your not serius. All I want is more areas like Undead Burg. I just really like the atmosphere of an old castle
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#4 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

A story.

0Hamburgher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 0Hamburgher
Member since 2010 • 957 Posts
Voice chat and an even longer game
dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3041 Posts

more of the same

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
not being punished so harshly
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Mostly I'd want the technical problems fixed. Demon's Souls ran well but Dark Souls had some some issues (framerate in Blighttown, for example). Also they need to revert the online system back to how it was in Demon's Souls, Dark Souls seemed to be a step down.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Firstly I want it to be a next gen game. A consistant framerate. Keep the open world, make the whole thing gloomier/bleaker/creepier, more f***ed up and more atmospheric than the 2 current games and that's it. Otherwise more of the same.
Avatar image for untouchables111
untouchables111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 untouchables111
Member since 2005 • 1650 Posts
I would like larger worlds that are balanced with check points spread slightly further around. Even more sub bosses in lvls also how about weapons that are more clear on stats. A difference in classes, give some REAL advantages to classes. I mean if u have a maxed lvl character in either game u have no advantage over any other class. Even mid lvl there is nothing special. Dark souls at least added special start items for the thief class but only keys.. How about item usage area advantages boss advantages, how about classes that can only use certain armors or weapons to some degree. Like a thief can't use a heavy weapon?? Much longer game. Make final area bosses harder to get to.
0Hamburgher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 0Hamburgher
I would like larger worlds that are balanced with check points spread slightly further around. Even more sub bosses in lvls also how about weapons that are more clear on stats. A difference in classes, give some REAL advantages to classes. I mean if u have a maxed lvl character in either game u have no advantage over any other class. Even mid lvl there is nothing special. Dark souls at least added special start items for the thief class but only keys.. How about item usage area advantages boss advantages, how about classes that can only use certain armors or weapons to some degree. Like a thief can't use a heavy weapon?? Much longer game. Make final area bosses harder to get to. untouchables111
No no no..... I would like more sub bosses though and a longer game, but I think that the final area bosses should be harder to get to, BUT there should be a checkpoint before them.
risako9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 risako9
Member since 2011 • 840 Posts

Instead of forging and monster hunter-esque weapon system. They can try adding quests for items like rare shards and weapon ingredients.

And please fix the multiplayer system.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
Genuine co-op. The Demon's Souls multiplayer was really cool and innovative, but I really wish I could've played the game with friends in a more traditional co-op party sense. Granted, allowing co-op would definitely strip away some of that feeling of isolation and lonely gloom that was a trademark element of the series, but I think it's still possible to have that vibe while allowing players to join up with one or, at most, two other players in the same game world. But that's just a suggestion and a personal preference, and not something I feel 'needs' to be done. Ultimately, I'd leave it to the developers and let them decide where the series needs to go or how it should evolve (if it should evolve at all) because, quite frankly, I'm sick of gamers trying to influence someone else's creative vision and, when they're given power to do so, completely f'ing things up.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#14 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

More reliable summoning. (AKA Fewer "summoning failed"s)

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1108 Posts

Server based online like Demon's souls. The online in dark souls was great; the feature set was far better than Demon's but the reliability was worse. Also just all around higher polish on small bugs would be nice. Mostly I just want more of the same though. Theres nothing like the Souls games. They are a complete breath of fresh air for game design.

Fear-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fear-
Member since 2012 • 499 Posts
Better PvP and Co-op. I want to be able to join hassle free.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

So much was done right with Dark Souls that I would hope the developers retain the same philosophy in their next approach.

Of the additions I would like to see, anything that makes combat more nuanced and varied is always welcome. Hopefully the developers take some special interest in fleshing out elements of each playstyle, allowing melee fighters access to a broader range of weapons and attacking animations. The same would go for all mage players.

As for environments, I hope FromSoftware will do everything they can to channel the labyrinthian game design they had in Dark Souls, but I also hope they try to make the game as large as it can possibly be and have 30+ areas. More is better in this case.

Last two things: don't skimp out on the boss fights, but also allow for certain areas outside of the main quest to be pursued only for the truly dedicated (dungeons on steroids essentially with a Ruby Weapon-esque boss encounter in each). One other inclusion I thought might be interesting is the inclusion of a boss/challenge arena. Obviously having an arena that allows you to fight bosses already encountered in the game might devalue the bosses themselves if you ever NG+, which is why I would make the arena a 100 story dungeon where you can descend at your own peril and every ten floors fight a juiced up version of an existing boss (ala Feral Tauras Demons or something) or an arena exclusive boss.

Food for thought.

PS. As for game engine, UE4 would be my first choice, although I wouldn't be disappointed by either Cry3 or FB2.0. Dunno if FromSoftware is intersted in licensing engines but if they are, UE4 would be my hope for them.

biswajit90210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 biswajit90210
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

A better story please..make it creepy as hell but give us a more fleshed out story.

Pandora012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pandora012
Member since 2011 • 31 Posts

For them to go back and use servers instead of P2P. That and maybe voice chat.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Optional easier mode. :)

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
"Big head" mode!
0Hamburgher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 0Hamburgher

Sokol4ever
never....
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sokol4ever

[QUOTE="Sokol4ever"]

0Hamburgher

never....

It wouldn't be such a bad thing. It would give more people options to play it without being punished to death while the regular difficulty would stay as it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#24 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

[QUOTE="0Hamburgher"][QUOTE="Sokol4ever"]

Sokol4ever

never....

It wouldn't be such a bad thing. It would give more people options to play it without being punished to death while the regular difficulty would stay as it is.

Dark Souls isn't that hard, it is just hard to learn. Learning the game is the fun part. Once you got it down, then it can be beaten fairly easily. An "easy" mode would only be watering down the experience.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sokol4ever

[QUOTE="Sokol4ever"]

[QUOTE="0Hamburgher"] never....realguitarhero5

Dark Souls isn't that hard, it is just hard to learn. Learning the game is the fun part. Once you got it down, then it can be beaten fairly easily. An "easy" mode would only be watering down the experience.

It wouldn't water down the experience at all since the "easy" option would be optional and it would not impact the current game difficulty as it is. The optional difficulty change would enable more people who enjoy good rpg to experience Dark Souls without breaking their controller in frustration.

You say the game is not hard at all, however I have been a witness to the contrary few times, where couple of my friends would play the game for an good hour or two and basically declare not to touch it again. This folks like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Oblivion and so forth.

Personally, I have no issues with the game, I'm a old school RPG gamer so the difficulty is not a problem, most games were harder then Demon/Dark Souls back in the day anyway but in the current generation, optional difficulty mode would only increase the sales and revenue of any company that makes their game more available to wider audience.

I believe both Dark/Demon Souls are being kept back from more sales because of its difficulty which is also its strenght and weakness.

puddinghead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 puddinghead101
Member since 2012 • 190 Posts

My only worry about an optional easy mode is that maybe players will really want to try it on hard but then get frustrated and switch to easy. Part of the Dark Souls experience is dying many times before finally beating a certain boss.

The developers always said this game is not for everyone. It is not good to try and appeal to a wider audience because then game becomes a lesser experience for it.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

better optimized for PC

HardGames420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HardGames420
Member since 2011 • 233 Posts

Mostly I'd want the technical problems fixed. Demon's Souls ran well but Dark Souls had some some issues (framerate in Blighttown, for example). Also they need to revert the online system back to how it was in Demon's Souls, Dark Souls seemed to be a step down.

Vari3ty

That's because Demon's Souls has dedicated servers and Dark Souls doesn't. It makes a world of difference.

0Hamburgher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 0Hamburgher

[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"][QUOTE="Sokol4ever"]

Sokol4ever

It wouldn't water down the experience at all since the "easy" option would be optional and it would not impact the current game difficulty as it is. The optional difficulty change would enable more people who enjoy good rpg to experience Dark Souls without breaking their controller in frustration.

You say the game is not hard at all, however I have been a witness to the contrary few times, where couple of my friends would play the game for an good hour or two and basically declare not to touch it again. This folks like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Oblivion and so forth.

Personally, I have no issues with the game, I'm a old school RPG gamer so the difficulty is not a problem, most games were harder then Demon/Dark Souls back in the day anyway but in the current generation, optional difficulty mode would only increase the sales and revenue of any company that makes their game more available to wider audience.

I believe both Dark/Demon Souls are being kept back from more sales because of its difficulty which is also its strenght and weakness.

What about pvp? it would be unfair to people who has amazing gear and tons of souls because they are on lower levels, and then the players on hard won't have the same equipment... plus, the game is easy enough as it is
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

more of the same

dimebag667