What would you have done different with PlayStation Classic?

#1 Edited by qx0d (333 posts) -

I think most people are disappointed by the PlayStation Classic, particularly it's collection of 20 games. What games would you have included, if you made PlayStation Classic? Here are the games I would've included on the PlayStation Classic...

Gran Turismo 1, 2 and 3, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1, 2 and 3, Tekken 1, 2 and 3, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3, Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX, Chrono Cross, Driver, Syphon Filter, Silent Hill, Dino Crises 1 and 2, Twisted Metal 1 and 2, Tomb Raider 1 and 2, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Crash Bandicoot 1 and 2, Grand Theft Auto 1 and 2.

I feel that the above list, truly represents the best of the original PlayStation. I would also have included on-screen box art and manuals, retro main menu music, graphic filters, DualShock controllers, online multiplayer and online PS1 game downloads. Being online, the console could be given improvements by updates, too. Anything to make it the best it can be, while preserving its retro heritage.

What would you have done different with PlayStation Classic?

#2 Posted by Sevenizz (4069 posts) -

Should’ve been shelved or at least better thought out.

I don’t patronize sony systems so my knowledge of their hits isn’t known to me - but I doubt this is the best they could’ve done.

#3 Posted by VFighter (5239 posts) -

Its got a lot of issues, the game list is the least of them. Having half the games being the pal versions, running at 50fps instead of 60, causing those games to run like ass is a big deal breaker for me. Also not sure why they chose to use an open source emulator instead of an in house one which would have ran the games way better and they could have more graphical options. It just seems like very little effort or thought went into it.

#4 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5199 posts) -

@qx0d:

My list would've been:

Crash Bandicoot 1 and 2

Tomb Raider 2 and 3

Final Fantasy VII

Resident Evil 2 and 3

Tekken 2 and 3

Metal Gear Solid 1

Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Twisted Metal 1 and 2

Mefa Man X4

Dino Crisis 1 and 2

Parasite Eve

Spyro 1 and 2

And make it online accessible so you can buy more ps1 games from the psn store directly.

#5 Posted by Jendeh (133 posts) -

I love Sony, but I never would have made this thing. PS1 games simply do not hold up as well as the NES and SNES games.

#6 Posted by CrunchyMix (23 posts) -

Give it more memory and the ability to play classics from the online store but in a convenient and nostalgic form factor. Allow access to the emulator tweaks without people having to figure out a hack.

And include RE: 2, Bushido Blade 2, Grant Turismo, Tomb Raider, Vagrant Story, etc. instead of the included games that I suspect a good majority of people would agree they could do without.

#7 Edited by pyro1245 (5248 posts) -

Put the games on PSN Retro subscription service for $3/mo.

No hardware.

#8 Posted by pillarrocks (1551 posts) -

Dino Crisis

Silent HIll

Jet Moto 2

Tekken 3

Twisted Metal

Medievil 2

Syphon Filter

Twisted Metal 2

Tomb Raider 2

Final Fantasy 7

Metal Gear Solid

Resident Evil Director's Cut

Rayman

Intelligent Cube

GTA

GTA 2

Parasite Eve

Tomb Raider

Parasite Evil 2

#9 Posted by iwilson1296 (2499 posts) -

@vfighter: everything you said plus no DualShock, it’s hard for me to go back to using the PlayStation d-pad.

#10 Edited by GTR12 (13484 posts) -

@iwilson1296 said:

@vfighter: everything you said plus no DualShock, it’s hard for me to go back to using the PlayStation d-pad.

Boo hoo, cry-me-a-river.

The other retro consoles don't have sticks.

#11 Edited by iwilson1296 (2499 posts) -

@GTR12: i must have upset a fanboy or something...besides we're not talking about other retro consoles

#12 Posted by GTR12 (13484 posts) -

@iwilson1296 said:

@GTR12: i must have upset a fanboy or something...besides we're not talking about other retro consoles

So just because you don't like the d-pad, you want them to add dualshocks, when the original didn't have dualshocks...

#13 Posted by iwilson1296 (2499 posts) -

@GTR12: I was answering the question that the TC asked and gave my opinion, it’s not that big a deal.

#14 Posted by Speeny (1968 posts) -

Just a broader/better selection of games in general. It would of been nice to see Tomba/Tomba 2 on there. As well as Ape Escape. Maybe even some of the classic Disney games. (Even though that would of been unlikely.)

For me the overall reveal & release was underwhelming. I did my research on it for 5 minutes then decided..."yeah nah, not worth the money." lol

#15 Posted by BronzeHeart92 (96 posts) -

Obviously, a store where you can buy more classics for your system. And naturally a controller with analog sticks.

#16 Posted by osan0 (15456 posts) -

a better selection of games indeed. for the first one i may have gone with the first big games in various series on PS.

as mentioned above: access to the PSN store to buy more PS1 games too (or even being able to buy them on PS3/PS4/PC and transferring them to the classic if keeping hardware costs to a minimum is a must)

i probably also would have based the internals on the vita and used that emulation (and a load of PS1 games are already up and running on that platform). its regarded as quite good at emulating PS1 games and its cheap to make. most of the work is already done. i would still have 20 games and storage for more out of the box though...none of that vita memory card nonsense.

but yeah the big thing that hurt it was the games selection i think.

#17 Posted by Fsrgon (12 posts) -

It should have been turned into a proper emulator. Better yet, Sony just needs to release PS1&2 games digitally on the PS4.

#18 Edited by IsonicfanI (5 posts) -

I would've given it online functionality so that people could download whatever PS1 games they wanted on top of the 20 games that come with it.

#19 Posted by robert_sparkes (3312 posts) -

I'd have put a better selection of games that run properly.

#20 Posted by sakaiXx (6064 posts) -

Better games, online option for buying games and dual shock controller.

#21 Posted by Johnny_Rock (40231 posts) -

@GTR12 said:
@iwilson1296 said:

So just because you don't like the d-pad, you want them to add dualshocks, when the original didn't have dualshocks...

And PS1 games never supported analog controls. So that would have to be coded into the games to work anyway.

#22 Posted by Johnny_Rock (40231 posts) -

Add a CD-ROM drive. Seriously, in this day and age, how much would it have cost to add a CD tray to it? Not DVD, not Blu-Ray. CD-Rom like the original PS1. I would have paid the extra $20 to be able to play my original disks in addition to the preloaded ones.

#23 Edited by Coolyfett (6097 posts) -

The PlayStation TV is everything the PlayStation Classic should have been. Get a PlayStation TV and it is all good.

#24 Posted by headninjadog (741 posts) -

More games with the dualschock controller and they should of charged more. If it had 100 games for $149 or 199 I think it would of still been a success.

#25 Posted by ChrisAnetkaC (643 posts) -

@qx0d: I have no interest whatsoever in another piece of hardware with very limited usability taking up floor space. They should have put the effort in remastering those games with better graphics and trophies etc, and releasing them on PSN. Waste of time, effort and money on everyone's part.

#26 Posted by TheDarkWolf86 (608 posts) -

In my personal opinion, I do not think it should have been released. Sony shouldn't have attempted to jump onto the "retro console" train. After looking at the game list, there were few which are worth mentioning. I am not even confident if Sony even looked at the most popular games during the PlayStation's height. Personally, I will keep my original PlayStation and my eight games than buy this console.

#27 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (1000 posts) -

Sony had no intention of ever releasing a quality product in the PSC. They half-assed every phase as cheaply as possible and then slapped it on the market for double what it was actually worth. It sold well, so mission accomplished.

If they'd done it properly and included more of what people wanted then it would have harmed PSN sales of old games and Sony would've been shooting themselves in the foot. So they answered peoples wishes by giving them a Mini and kept people buying PSN Classics by keeping the majority of games people actually wanted behind a paywall.

It's like people are surprised gaming companies exist to make money and pump as much of it as they can out of consumers.

#28 Posted by henrythefifth (2502 posts) -

SNES Classic had the same issues, having games that everyone had already played to death.. Yet it sold well.

No, the issue was not the games, the issue was SONY went and used cheap emulator soft on their mini console. Thats why I refused to buy the Classic PS1. It just smelled like cheap ripoff product.

Whereas SNES Classic felt like genuine, lovingly crafted fan product in comparison.

#29 Posted by Coolyfett (6097 posts) -

@Jendeh said:

I love Sony, but I never would have made this thing. PS1 games simply do not hold up as well as the NES and SNES games.

The top games do hold up, PlayStation just didnt bring enough of the CLASSICS. Classic is the key word here. PS1 has 20 the PlayStation Classic has maybe 6 of them.

#30 Posted by TheDarkWolf86 (608 posts) -

@qx0d: In my personal opinion, I do not feel the PS1 Classic should have been released. I feel it was another gimmick and the company who created them jumped on the retro train like everyone else. I personally have not purchased any of the retro style systems because I already own a PS1, SNES, and N64 and play them even to this day. It is something companies have been trying to get extra money from consumers. Amazingly enough, there are a lot of retro-style businesses in most towns/cities and online that are collecting dust. Again, this is just my opinion. Good post!

#31 Posted by Ninja_cat11 (3 posts) -

In short, the PS1 Classic should have never existed because third party licensing is more expensive than putting games from in house developers. Sony had hardly any first party games during the PS1 era. It is unfair to expect Tony Hawk, and Grand Turismo. The licensing for those games would have been through the roof. Even jet moto had product placement from mountain dew. Wild arms and Persona were not hits in the west. to be fair, Toshinden, Jumping Flash, and Destruction Derby did sell consoles at launch.

I do not hate the list of games as much as other people. Tekken 3, FF7, Metal Gear Solid, Syphon Filter, Cool Boarders 2, and Ridge Racer were all great titles to have on the system. Cool Boarders had 5 games on PS1, so I do not know why people complained about that one. Twisted Metal and Resident Evil were good picks, but the wrong iterations were chosen. The second title in both franchises should have been on the classic. Wild Arms and Persona should have been replaced by Final Fantasy and Tactics or Suikoden 2. Mr driller should have been replaced by Hot Shots Golf. Rainbow 6 should have been replaced by Tenchu. Intelligent cube and puzzle fighter should have been replaced by Breath of Fire 3 and Legend of Dragoon. Destruction Derby should have been replaced by CTR, and Battle Arena Toshinden should have been replaced by Spyro 2. Grand Theft Auto should have been replaced by Tomb Raider 2, and Jumping Flash should have replace by parappa the rapper.

Sony could not have even put Wipeout on the classic due to licensed music. Sony should have went for the PS2 classic, this way it could have put down some first party titles. Licensing on various killed the chance of a great PS1 classic.

Even Nintendo added filler with Super Punch out and Kirby's Dreamcourse. "We paid the licensing for Earthbound, and we are not paying for Chrono Trigger." Still cool games but they were not classics.

#32 Posted by CookieCrumbles (29 posts) -

Not used the PAL versions of certain games. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?! We don't want Tekken at 50 fps.

#33 Posted by Dave462a (140 posts) -

I would of had on there

Dino crisis

Tomb Raider 1-3

Driver