What would you guys think of having DVD games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TKandPBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TKandPBC
Member since 2005 • 1431 Posts
Alright so first I'm sure all of you have read the article on ActivisionBlizzard threatening to drop PS3 support. If you haven't, here it is: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6212246.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=topstory&tag=topstory;title Now about the article, I'm sure that NOBODY wants to see this happen. We like console wars because it makes competition among the console manufacturers to create bigger, better stuff. We don't want to see a console die outright. But this topic isn't a discussion about the article, it's about finding a solution to the problem. ActivisionBlizzard is the largest 3rd part dev in the world, and if they complain the PS3 is too expensive to make games for, you know you have a problem. So, common sense says to cut costs. How? Well I say devs start manufacturing games in DVD-9 format for the PS3. Now I'll admit, I'm not very well educated on the topic of PS3 game development. However, it is undeniable that the Blu-Ray format is much more expensive than the DVD-9 format. I'm pretty sure that it was Hudson that said the BluRay format was too expensive for them to develop for (correct me if I'm wrong). And if the 360 can be so successful with DVD-9s, why cant the PS3? Devs that need the BluRay (MGS4) can use it if they want to, and devs that don't need BluRay aren't going to be forced to pay more to develop a game that they can easily fit on a DVD-9. So, what do you think?
boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts

I dont think those are the expenses. I'm sure bluray discs aren't that bad when purchased in bulk. Its the difficulty of developing ON the PS3. The cell isn't the easiest platform to develop for from what I understand. I dont know if its due to horrible developer kits, or just lack of experience/knowledge on the developers end.

Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

I think the PS3 has a good thing going for them. Although it's not selling as much as the other, I don't think it needs to be changed. Wouldn't Activision have known if this was going to be an issue when they first started developing for the PS3 or did they expect to excel beyond expectations?

YoJim8obaJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 YoJim8obaJoe
Member since 2008 • 2653 Posts

Games like MGS4,R2,Uncharted,KZ2 amoung others are proof that great games can be made for PS3,activision is just greedy and want to do nothing but spam sequel after sequel with little to no changes made.EA of this generation

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
There is no problem and ActiBlizzard won't drop the PS3 support, unless they can convince most other major 3rd parties to do the same (at which point Sony would definitely drop the price and we're all good again anyway). They'd lose a lot more revenue than Sony from that move.
TKandPBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TKandPBC
They'd lose a lot more revenue than Sony from that move.BenderUnit22
I think you're missing the point. It doesnt matter how much revenue they make if they can't turn a profit. They could make $10,000,00 in revenue, but if it costs $20,000,000 to develop the game, they're still in the red.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BenderUnit22
[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"]They'd lose a lot more revenue than Sony from that move.TKandPBC
I think you're missing the point. It doesnt matter how much revenue they make if they can't turn a profit. They could make $10,000,00 in revenue, but if it costs $20,000,000 to develop the game, they're still in the red.

ActiBlizzard doens't make PS3 games though, they make multiplatform titles. That means aside from porting the game over and making sure everything runs on all platforms, a lot of the cost is split across all systems. The same assets are used for all platforms, the same marketing campaign is used for multiple products, etc.
eo_the_shaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 eo_the_shaman
Member since 2009 • 1800 Posts

i refuse to dumb down my standards of gaming for some people who think its not worth getting because of the price, ya its expensive but it is actually good hardware mine has never broke and my xbox 360's that i have owned when they red ringed i wasnt going to spend a second trying to deal with microsof cause i knew theyd just end me a defective xbox that was 'fixed' thats alli gotta say

TKandPBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TKandPBC
[QUOTE="TKandPBC"][QUOTE="BenderUnit22"]They'd lose a lot more revenue than Sony from that move.BenderUnit22

ActiBlizzard doens't make PS3 games though, they make multiplatform titles. That means aside from porting the game over and making sure everything runs on all platforms, a lot of the cost is split across all systems. The same assets are used for all platforms, the same marketing campaign is used for multiple products, etc.

Yes, but apparently to reconfigure a game so that it's compatible with the cell, as well as the BluRay format are both quite expensive.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"]They'd lose a lot more revenue than Sony from that move.TKandPBC

Well, if Activision is losing money on every PS3 game they sell, then do them a favor and quit buying their games. You're just taking money out of their pockets.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

It would not bother me honestly and I am surprised that they did not do this before...

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BenderUnit22
Well, if you wanna believe the bluff, fine. We'll see in 2010. And by then, Sony probably have cut the price anyway.