What will Sony do with my YLOD 60GB launch PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

I am sending in my beloved launch 60GB PS3 to Sony for repair or refurbishment (?real word?).

Can someone with similar experience tell me what Sony is going to do with my console? Are they going to repair it or are they going to replace it with another 60GB refurbedPS3?

I know they are not going to send me a slim, since one of the options they give you is to pay $119 to trade my old 60GB for a refurbished slim unit or pay $149 for the repair/refurb service.

Of course I balked at this suggestion and decided to keep my 60GB console since(have it fixed) since it is fully BC and getting more and more rare.

So, will they fix it or just send me a refurb console?

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

I am sending in my beloved launch 60GB PS3 to Sony for repair or refurbishment (?real word?).

Can someone with similar experience tell me what Sony is going to do with my console? Are they going to repair it or are they going to replace it with another 60GB refurbedPS3?

I know they are not going to send me a slim, since one of the options they give you is to pay $119 to trade my old 60GB for a refurbished slim unit or pay $149 for the repair/refurb service.

Of course I balked at this suggestion and decided to keep my 60GB console since(have it fixed) since it is fully BC and getting more and more rare.

So, will they fix it or just send me a refurb console?

danjammer69

Well ive heard that here in UK that they give you a straight swop-on your front door-refurb model for around £135 with only 3 months warranty-So i sold my as spares and repairs and now got a Slim 120GB.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
here's more or less whats gonna happen: they are going to send you a previous fixed 60GB refurbished ps3 thats been sitting in there warehouse..but if your lucky they might take the time to actually fix YOUR ps3
RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts
Damn, I really sorry for you lost. I dont know what to tell you buddy, I guess you should just send it in and hope for the best
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Yeah, I'd send it in for a Slim. Backwards compatibility is so unnecessary in the stage of next gen, better graphics and gameplay we're in right now with the PS3.
AgentZero225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AgentZero225
Member since 2007 • 1718 Posts

Just keep your hard drive and send it in and let Sony worry about it. When they send you a new one, just pop in your hard drive and you'll still have your save data.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16714 Posts

Just keep your hard drive and send it in and let Sony worry about it. When they send you a new one, just pop in your hard drive and you'll still have your save data.

AgentZero225
great advice
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
[QUOTE="AgentZero225"]

AgentA-Mi6
great advice

If it's anything like sending in computers for warranty repair they are going to want everything or else they might charge you more then what it is worth.
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16714 Posts
[QUOTE="AgentA-Mi6"][QUOTE="AgentZero225"]

xXDrPainXx
great advice

If it's anything like sending in computers for warranty repair they are going to want everything or else they might charge you more then what it is worth.

We're talking the worth of a common 60GB HDD, in perspective, whats worth more a very few dollars or the save data and personal stuff inside it?
assmonkey333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 assmonkey333
Member since 2003 • 163 Posts

Wouldn't taking out the hd void the warranty? Would they still fix it or send another one?

sportwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sportwarrior
Member since 2003 • 2462 Posts
I don't think it voids the warranty, but I didn't know they'd fix it without the HD in it. For some reason that doesn't sound right to me.
sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

Wouldn't taking out the hd void the warranty? Would they still fix it or send another one?

assmonkey333

The warranties Well out by now anyhows-Cos they haven't made the 60GB for a couple of years or more now+taking out the hard drive wouldn't break the Sony warranty seal anyway.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
[QUOTE="xXDrPainXx"][QUOTE="AgentA-Mi6"] great adviceAgentA-Mi6

We're talking the worth of a common 60GB HDD, in perspective, whats worth more a very few dollars or the save data and personal stuff inside it?

Doesnt matter, when you take your HDD out of youor ps3 it automaticly formats when put in another ps3.