What will happend to the psp go?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dazzzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 dazzzilla
Member since 2006 • 1246 Posts

Hey everyone, I just wanted peoples opinions of what will happend to the psp go.

Iam asking this because the sales have simply been horrible I know that sony denies it but every source I have found points to low sales, it sold 30,000 consoles in its opening week worldwide, and I dont know how it is in other countries cant expect it being higher as its a 30,000 total, but in 14 days on sale in Australia it had sold less then 1000 consoles which in many cases would be regarded a failure whats more worrying is when comapred to the DSI its no where, the DSI sold 300,000 consoles in 2 days after launch worldwide.

What do you think sony will do with this issue?, I mean they clearly know now that any effort to push UMD's to the side will completely kill of their handheld sector, even though they said they would leave UMD im sure inside they were planning to slowly go to download only, but now that idea seems completely gone as the PSP 3000 has completely outsold the PSP go and the PSP go is no where.

Force360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Force360
Member since 2005 • 397 Posts
To me, the Go makes no sense. Sure there's a few thing extra here and there, but I do not think it is worth it, even if you do not already own a Go. Seeing that everyone does not always have access to a network or seeing that you cannot get better deals on games, you will be pretty much forced to do both. UMD discs may or may not be an issue to some people, but i'd rather stick with the old fashioned notion of being able to sell, trade, and buy my games at reasonable prices versus being "Stuck"
Blackbase88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Blackbase88
Member since 2009 • 265 Posts

Well, the psp 3000 was fine until they just poped out with the psp go

gamers are outraged because the psp 3000 didnt have enough time to settle and plus no UMD drive thats just desprate

dazzzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dazzzilla

Mhm, which is why im asking surely sony will have to dump the go if it dosent pick up and try to make a UMD to Digital system, otherwise its pointless if it continues to sell like 5,000 consoles world wide a week.

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

It will be sold to people who dont know any better. The price will drop and no one will care about it when PSP 2 hits the shelves.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
It's just new Sony being new Sony. Stupid. I'll buy a PSP Go when I buy an N-Gage.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

It's just new Sony being new Sony. Stupid. I'll buy a PSP Go when I buy an N-Gage.istuffedsunny

Laughin' so hard, tears are SQUIRTING from my eyes... THIS ^ times 1000!!!

:lol:

My guess is, honestly, that they will continue to grunt out Gos and sell them to the un-knowing gamer. As much as I don't want to poo-poo Sony, the more the weeks roll on into the thing's life, the worse it seems to get... Can you say "Formulating An Exit Strategy"?

I hope I'm wrong, I hope Sony can pull a little of their fat out of the fire... but it's not lookin' like anyone (company OR consumer) is getting out of this one without a few bumps and bruises.

:?

damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

I have a go (surprise right) and I think that its an excellent device. The smaller form is great cuz I always thought that my 1000 and even my friends 3000 are too big for my pockets. The go's size is just right and an all digital device is the wave of the future.

Do I think that the go is the greatest thing since the 1000? No but it has a lot of potential and I think that the psp go is just something sony is going to use to test for the psp2.

Im going to update to the psp2 as soon as I can. I just wanted a go because my 1000 broke on me and really like the idea of having all my games with me all the time. Never really got into collecting game after game but not having to carry around all the umds really is nice.

Hopefully sony will use the publics critiisms of the go and make the psp2 the greatest thing ever. BTW i love my psp go and think its a great direction sony and the gaming industry as a whole is going.

demoman314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 demoman314
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts

This^ I completely agree, i owned the original 1000 at launch than later bought a 2000, got rid of both and bought this. It is exactly what i wanted for portability reasons. I love the all digital format, the internal hardrive with optional mem. stick slot, and i love how small, light, and portable it feels. I dont understand the whoel failure thing, sales may be poor, but wait till black friday and christmas than we'll see. plus, psp hasnt been selling well in general for awhile.

dazzzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dazzzilla

This^ I completely agree, i owned the original 1000 at launch than later bought a 2000, got rid of both and bought this. It is exactly what i wanted for portability reasons. I love the all digital format, the internal hardrive with optional mem. stick slot, and i love how small, light, and portable it feels. I dont understand the whoel failure thing, sales may be poor, but wait till black friday and christmas than we'll see. plus, psp hasnt been selling well in general for awhile.

demoman314

I understand you because I have had the urge to buy one too, but Im saying what do you think sony will do about the lackluster sales, usually sales like this are deemed a failure, lets face it ... 30,000 a week is what an old console should be selling that has been succesfull in one region say europe, let alone the whole world on the launch of a console, I was extremly shocked to see it had sold only 900 or so in Australia, and if its sold only 10,000 in europe that looks even worse in terms of country to country, I sort of think that sony will try to keep the small for factor but when the next generation console comes, we might see some more generic memory card for the games similar to the DS because its so small can hold ALOT more then the UMD, is faster, cheaper and the reader requires less space then the UMD drive.

Tim_Millington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Tim_Millington
Member since 2007 • 1615 Posts

I think what Sony are doing with all their consoles, is predict the future. PS3 with the blueray drive. The xbox doesnt have that yet and they are successful. Digital is the way forward. but not yet! This console would have looked great if it was to come out in 5 years time. Even if the GO! had a umd drive, it would have been more successful than it has been. Hopefully Sony will drop it and continue support for the GO!s that have been purchased and support the PSP 3000/2000 for longer than intended. The GO! is . . . . always was . . . . a stupid idea

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

It's just new Sony being new Sony. Stupid. I'll buy a PSP Go when I buy an N-Gage.istuffedsunny

LOL. I agree with you. People like me aren't exactly stupid for choosing to purchase a monopoly system in which you can only download games, paying the same kind of prices on which you can just get them for equal or lesser value on a UMD, & never having games that you don't really own; especially when the 3000 model has tons of more features than the Go, such as a bigger screen, & can do almost everything that the Go can do, especially download games from the PSN store.

I think it's just only a matter of time before the PSP Go joins the list of "The worst selling consoles & handhelds of all time."

The 10 worst selling consoles of all time.

The 10 worst selling handhelds of all time.

DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#14 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts

I have a go (surprise right) and I think that its an excellent device. The smaller form is great cuz I always thought that my 1000 and even my friends 3000 are too big for my pockets. The go's size is just right and an all digital device is the wave of the future.

Do I think that the go is the greatest thing since the 1000? No but it has a lot of potential and I think that the psp go is just something sony is going to use to test for the psp2.

Im going to update to the psp2 as soon as I can. I just wanted a go because my 1000 broke on me and really like the idea of having all my games with me all the time. Never really got into collecting game after game but not having to carry around all the umds really is nice.

Hopefully sony will use the publics critiisms of the go and make the psp2 the greatest thing ever. BTW i love my psp go and think its a great direction sony and the gaming industry as a whole is going.

damann22
You're not alone, bro. I own one as well, and it's far from being the "perfect handheld" but I have my reasons for getting one at lauch. I think it's a great system, and to me, the pros easily outweigh the cons. DD means no trade value, but I play PC games, so I'm used to it ;). Besides, all the things that I didn't like about handheld gaming (which are really minor things,anyway) are basically nonexistent with the Go.
twi41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 twi41
Member since 2002 • 2471 Posts

My main gripe with the Go is the lack of games.

I mean you can't get...

... Crisis Core FF7

... Dissidia: Final Fantasy

... Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions ( You can only get the PSOne title without the revamps )

... Valkyrie Profile

Most of the above are Square Enix titles but I bought my PS1, PS2, and PS3 specifically for Final Fantasy games.

digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts
The PSPgo is not getting the support of PSP owners and as predicted it is now having an impact on sales. I said it before and I will say it again "dont underestimate the power of PSP forums like this". I allready made a co-worker of mine to buy a 3000 and I am the verge to convince a second co-worker. He never had a console before, but it I have no intention to mention the PSPgo as an option.
Kenbo325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Kenbo325
Member since 2009 • 1177 Posts
I was very disappointed with the PSP Go, I think that my PSP 1000 is far superior.
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#18 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts

Its 95% useless.

Horrible price point. And since the Wii recently dropped in price its less expensive than the Go.

You have to re-buy all your old games regardless if you downloaded them since you can transfer anything.

Re-buy all of your accessories if you owned one previously

Since all the games are downloadable if you lose it *Poof* IMO it is flimsy and cheap like playing all your games on a slider phone.

Now all we have to hear about is if it has a nasty glitch that can randomly reformat itself and you got a nice shiny paperweight.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts

damann22
Yah, I'm in a similar situation, my 1000 finally broke after 5 years, and I'm just looking for the Go to carry me through till something new is announced. Plus I like its portability, I don't want to carry a brick around with me on campus. That being said, I am waiting to get some sort of a deal on it before I go out and get one, which also gives me some time to see what direction the PSN store is heading.
mkurts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 mkurts
Member since 2003 • 367 Posts

Maybe a big price cut, and I mean a really hefty one at that, is needed to boost interest, since most that want a PSP have gotten one already.

digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts
[QUOTE="dazzzilla"]

Hey everyone, I just wanted peoples opinions of what will happend to the psp go.

Iam asking this because the sales have simply been horrible I know that sony denies it but every source I have found points to low sales, it sold 30,000 consoles in its opening week worldwide, and I dont know how it is in other countries cant expect it being higher as its a 30,000 total, but in 14 days on sale in Australia it had sold less then 1000 consoles which in many cases would be regarded a failure whats more worrying is when comapred to the DSI its no where, the DSI sold 300,000 consoles in 2 days after launch worldwide.

What do you think sony will do with this issue?, I mean they clearly know now that any effort to push UMD's to the side will completely kill of their handheld sector, even though they said they would leave UMD im sure inside they were planning to slowly go to download only, but now that idea seems completely gone as the PSP 3000 has completely outsold the PSP go and the PSP go is no where.

It is also worth mentioning "Ephraim managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia noted, Major retailers like EBGames, have refused to carry the product."
alien100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 alien100000
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts

I mean you can't get...

... Crisis Core FF7

... Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions ( You can only get the PSOne title without the revamps )

... Valkyrie Profile

Most of the above are Square Enix titles but I bought my PS1, PS2, and PS3 specifically for Final Fantasy games.

twi41

I agree completely, I bought a Go and love it. The only thing I have against the PSP Go is the lack of games on the store. The games mentioned above and MGS: PO are not there yet.

ENDOT12123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ENDOT12123
Member since 2007 • 1223 Posts

i think pso go is just too expensive for what it is, maybe if it was 150 id get 1 but iv got the 1000 that i can play umd and download games so i see no point, :(

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

As far as i'm concerned they should have launched psp go back in 2004 instead of five years later with the same basic features as the last but more portable and no UMD drive, making online buying the only way to get games. Not to mention those who play around with the firmware and pirate are not going to buy it. I mean what were they expecting? They should have released PSP 2 with better hardware, new games not a old rehash with a new skin and a few new features.

I'm sorry but it was just a bad decision from the start, i'm not saying the PSP GO is WORSE then the current PSP's released because it is definitely much better in terms of design and improved upon features but with the amount of kids mothers not willing to put there visa's on the internet, mixed with people who pirate and people just not willing to upgrade from the last they are looking at numbers they should have predicted a long time ago.

KbiZZle24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 KbiZZle24
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i think the Psp Go is a great idea, not having to use Umd's which will break no matter how of good care you take of them, but then again I don't use my UMD drive either.
brightchild0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 brightchild0
Member since 2006 • 186 Posts
I have had the PSP 1000, 2000 & 3000, each an improvement on the other. I have bought a PSP GO & was won over. Its smaller making it more portable & dare I say cooler to look at. The controls are good and really show that an additional stick in place of the start/select button would be possible. The argument which is better really only depends on personnel preference. Maybe Sonys master plan is to see what works, what people like so the PSP 2 will be a success. I think Sony are heading in the right direction just slowly. After having the PSP GO, I see the PSP 2 similar with addition of a second stick, increased hard drive size, & comparable i Phone/touch features. PSP GO would of been a winner from the go or brought out earlier. The minus UMD drive for me is a plus, but thats my opinion.
twi41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 twi41
Member since 2002 • 2471 Posts

I agree that the hardware for the PSP Go is a step up from previous models but I'd like to ask the people that like thier PSP Go's.

What games are you playing? I don't find anything appealing on PSN other than the square enix titles I mentioned earlier.

brightchild0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 brightchild0
Member since 2006 • 186 Posts
Monster Hunter Freedom - Good game Gran Turismo - brill PSP Minis - all good & as my free games I got Resistance, Pursuit Force 2 & Loco Roco. Loco roco is cool on the PSP GO Pursuit Force 2 was surprise - never played it And Resistance is cool. And tomorrow GTA Chinatown!!!! And I hope Marvel Alliance 2 comes to PSN!!! And I'm gonna get Motorstorm
HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

the psp go was a bad idea, instead of wasting money on the Go Sony should've made some better games instead

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
i think the Psp Go is a great idea, not having to use Umd's which will break no matter how of good care you take of them, but then again I don't use my UMD drive either.KbiZZle24
I've never broken one....
damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

I agree that the hardware for the PSP Go is a step up from previous models but I'd like to ask the people that like thier PSP Go's.

What games are you playing? I don't find anything appealing on PSN other than the square enix titles I mentioned earlier.

twi41

I have been playing minis (fieldrunners and hero of sparta) killzone: lib, disgaea afternoon of darkness, and soon to be GTA chinatown wars and patapon when i get paid tomorrow

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#32 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts

[QUOTE="twi41"]

I mean you can't get...

... Crisis Core FF7

... Valkyrie Profile

alien100000

I agree completely, I bought a Go and love it. The only thing I have against the PSP Go is the lack of games on the store. The games mentioned above and MGS: PO are not there yet.

Reason behind this is because Sony isnt make Devs/and Pubs of 3rd party games putting them on PSN.
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Probably Sony will continue to manufacture PSP Gos, but in smaller numbers. Unlike the DSi, the Go was never meant to replace the PSP-3000... so slow sales aren't really that much of a setback as long as the 3000 is selling well. Next year, I imagine the 3000 Core will get a price cut to $149, the bundles will sell at $169 and the PSP-Go will get a price cut to $199.

PSP2 will probably launch in 2011.