What will happen to your huge collection of PS3 games when PS3 becomes obsolete?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

strawhatlupi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 strawhatlupi
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

PS3 have a very short service life and when it does broke down you don't have any means of repairing it as its custom parts are already been phased out...

so basically you don't have any means of playing your ps3 games as ps4 is not backward compatible

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

I'm already starting to pick through them. I'm only holding onto the ones I honestly think I might play again and trading the rest in for new games. I'll buy a PS4 when it comes out, and I'm guessing I won't play PS3 games much after that. Every gen it's been the same.... I think I might still want to fire up the old console once in a while, but I never do. Best to trade it all in than let it rot in a corner.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

even tho i'm getting a ps4 i will still keep my ps3 connected to my tv.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

PS3 have a very short service life and when it does broke down you don't have any means of repairing it as its custom parts are already been phased out...

so basically you don't have any means of playing your ps3 games as ps4 is not backward compatible

strawhatlupi

you can still buy a ps1 new if you like, so im sure that you will be able to get hold of spares or a cheap console in the future.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I've still got my PS2 hooked up to a TV, and my collection of PS2 games sitting right there too.  I occasionally think "I should play that" but I never do.

I imagine the same thing will happen with my PS3 eventually.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Im trying to play as much as I can until Ps4 comes out.

Might still play for a couple months after, and go back from time to time. The trophies is what will make me go back,

sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts
I'll probably shelf them. I like having collections.
Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts
I think that I'll end up buying a new PS3 Slim and just keep it in storage, along with the rest of my PS3 games when I finally switch over to PS4 or whatever. That way once my current PS3 dies, I'll always have a worry free way to playing my "original" PS3 games in the future rather than digital downloads.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts
I hope we get some kind of voucher so somehow we can access our PS3 games on PS4 Gakai. But we'll see. Then again the last game I'm getting is The Last of Us, unless that gets ported, so I guess I'll just put the PS3 in the guest room and games packed in boxes.
shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Very short service life? Quite an exaggeration. Regardless, whenever I move on to PS4 (could be 1-3 years) I'll trade everything in towards my purchase.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I'll probably trade my games in and sell the system. I'm not much of a collector.

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

even tho i'm getting a ps4 i will still keep my ps3 connected to my tv.

sukraj
ditto. I have 2 ps3s and my future wife has one for her daughter so either way we will still have a ps3 in the house when I get a ps4. No point in getting ride of it since games will still be coming out for it
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#13 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Considering you could find a PS2 in stores, new, after 12 years, I'm pretty sure I'll be good to replace my PS3 if it breaks down. Never had a Sony console fail me, no reason to plan for it. PS3 has a library so vast, I seriously considered sitting out until the PS5 is on shelves. So really, it'll never be obsolete to me.

I dump most all of my games when moving to a new gen. I keep the ones that I will play again and again. If there are none, then I can get rid of the console too. For now, I have very limited space. So keeping multiple console gens around is impractical.

Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Schreek
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

I have almost never gone back to a previous console once I got its predecessor, but I honestly think that may change this time around. Because of PS Plus and me getting the PS3 late into its life, I am so backlogged that I can't envision just giving it all up.

sweeten16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sweeten16
Member since 2005 • 2872 Posts
you'll still be able to buy a ps3 20 years from now so I don't understand where you are coming from. I still have my PS2, Gamecube and N64 set up in my conservatory even though I don't really play them.
mjhbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mjhbomb
Member since 2006 • 133 Posts

I'm going to buy a PS3 Super Slim after the next price cut (assuming I can afford one) and just pop it away with my PS3 games. My original 60GB BC Phat PS3 makes a noise like a damn jet engine and I need to wear headphones to play it so how much longer it lasts I cannot say :D It can sit in my cupboard next to my PSOne and PS2 all nice and cosy and easy to take out and hook up should I need to play Journey or Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction - for example.

Keegan_2634

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Keegan_2634
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts

I plan on getting a PS4 around the time they come out mostly for the new infamous game but my PS3 will probably be played a lot for at least for another year or two I will probably also pick up a new PS3 model when they have a big sale possibly Black Friday or closer to Christmas.

But for the games that I got I will probably keep and collect them so in a year or two when the PlayStation 4 is out I will probably start picking up some older games for the PS3.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#18 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I'm not too worried, I've gone experienced new generations before and have kept my old consoles and still played them once the new stuff rolled out, albeit less and less. I imagine my PS3 will still see primary usage through 2014, unless there's enough games I really want for the PS4, in which case I'll still be playing my PS3 some. I doubt my PS3 will die anytime soon, and if does, I'll probably replace it since it would be inexpensive at that point.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I have all 3 versions of the Playstation 3. The Phat PS3 60GB, The 320GB regular Slim PS3, and the launch version of the SuperSlim PS3 250GB

So When I have the Playstation 4 I will hold onto my PS3 consoles. So I will hold onto my huge collection of PS3 games. so I am good

I still have my PS2 and PS1 games and consoles.

And eventually will have the Playstation 4 "Phat" and Slimline in a few years down the road, and if Sony releases a third version of the PS4.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Now PS3 consoles are still in production and sold, likely will be for some time to come. The PS2 was just discontinued last January, almost 13 years after it's debut. So if anyone lets this become a problem it would be their own fault.

trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#21 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts
They'll probably just sit on the shelf and gather dust. I'll keep them as well as my PS3 and I'll think about going back and playing, but I never will. That's how it usually works with me. The last games I'll buy for PS3 are probably The Last of Us and NHL 14. I'll try to see if I can trade in some games while I can to get those.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 1123213
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
If the ps4 was backwards compatible I would get it on launch, but as it isn't i'll wait till I finish the games I have. Any new games i'll just wait till I get a ps4.
Kaz4president

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kaz4president
Member since 2013 • 156 Posts
Keep them and play them when I feel like it obviously :)
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#24 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
My 60 GB version has been working quite fine. I'll buy a new one if needed.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

PS3 have a very short service life 

strawhatlupi

The hell?  No, sir.

As for my games, they'll stay right where they are: on my shelf.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Stop playing them at some point and play PS4 games. Trade them in let them collect dust, whatever I don't really care much. 

piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
it's not that huge, I pretty much only bought the exclusives I don't care, I'll keep em
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
In order for my PS3 to be obsolete, something has to come along better. Will the PS4 play PS3 games better than the PS3? I think not, so my PS3 will not be obsolete.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'll still be playing my PS3 for a good 2-3 years, I still need to buy or re buy at least 3 dozen games to complete my collection.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Definitely keeping all my PS3 stuff.  Probably at some point when the PS3 reaches $100 I'll pick up another one as backup, just as I did with the PS2 (which both of my PS2 systems still work, though the controllers have all failed except one, should probably get on picking up some replacements).

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts
I'll keep my PS3 and a few of my favourite games since I won't be able to play/download them on PS4.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

Very short service life? Quite an exaggeration. Regardless, whenever I move on to PS4 (could be 1-3 years) I'll trade everything in towards my purchase.

shellcase86
If you're going to wait that long then you might as well not even bother as the values will be almost worthless. You'd easily be able to save more money in those years than any "credit" you'd get by trading in that obsolete tech.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
You'll always be able to repair a PS3 so that won't be an issue. Hell, you can still get Super Nintendos repaired if you need them.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#34 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I'll probably shelf them. I like having collections.sagejonathan

this

BrutalKitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BrutalKitty
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
sorry gais just testin out my new sig
BrutalKitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BrutalKitty
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
hmm testing
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I will just play my PS3 alongside the PS4,  I still play older systems to this day online, so I do not see big issue in anything.  Console cycles come and go.  The main games that I still want to play are Dishonored, Sly Cooper 4, The Last of Us, Puppeteer, Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain, and Tales of Xillia.  There are still plenty of other games that look cool that I might want to play in the future like Far Cry 3, Tekken Tag 2, Twisted Metal, Bioshock, Tomb Raider, Journey, Guacamelee, and so on.  I will not be able to play everything in the world before PS4 comes out, so I will just play older generation games and newer generation games at the same time. 

Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

PS3 have a very short service life and when it does brake down you don't have any means of repairing it as its custom parts are already been phased out...

strawhatlupi

I plan on playing my PS3 for the next 10 years at least.... I still play on my PS2, and Xbox. 

funkadelichika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 funkadelichika
Member since 2006 • 8904 Posts
You can STILL buy ps2 controllers,memory cards, accesories in most games stores used and in some cases memory cards brand new until VERY recently. Most places I have seen still keep ps2 stuff in stock. Lots of ps2 stuff still going around. I have no doubt it will be the same with the PS3 so I have no fear and will continue to have the ps3 and play it for many years after the ps4 comes out...I did the same with the ps2.
Poinciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Poinciana
Member since 2012 • 56 Posts

strawhatlupi

Do you have proof that PS3 parts will stop being manufactured ? Link please. By the time the PS3 gets discontinued there should be about 100 million units out there, and remember that PS3 is region free.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

why does this happen every gen? People go nuts like the world is ending if there is no BC with new consoles..its really annoying. I mean..how small are your homes if you cant keep multiple consoles? OR if you are that broke you have to sell a console to get one..tough..get a job,save..ect..same threads day after day and year after year..eh....:roll:

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I already have two PS3 slims and I'll probably buy a super slim one day. It wont be a problem.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
I am more worried about all the stuff from the PSN...seeing as it won't transfer last I heard. I am especially 'concerned' about the PSN+ stuff. For those of us that do not upgrade to a PS4 (quickly or at all), will we be left with a rental service that never gets updated anymore (with PS3 content)?
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
Nothing, i will stay play them from time to time. I m not planning on selling my ps3 when the ps4 comes out !
Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

"Considering you could find a PS2 in stores, new, after 12 years, I'm pretty sure I'll be good to replace my PS3 if it breaks down."

If you think the PS3 will be around as long as the PS2 was, you're in for a disappointing surprise.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

I'll keep my games. No intention of getting rid of them. 

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

[QUOTE="shellcase86"]

Kravyn81

If you're going to wait that long then you might as well not even bother as the values will be almost worthless. You'd easily be able to save more money in those years than any "credit" you'd get by trading in that obsolete tech.

I'm going to save up money regardless of what credit I get (if any) from a store. Most likely though, I'll sell second hand directly to a collector or someone looking for one on Craigslist/Amazon. Depends on what the market dictates at the time.

jmg128thinfrgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jmg128thinfrgt
Member since 2006 • 793 Posts
I keep all my old games =) Even though I know PS4 will not be backwards compatible.
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

The games I really like are staying in their cozy spot on my game shelf. You can still buy Dreamcasts that still work, so getting a PS3 in the next 10 or 15 years shouldn't be much of a problem.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#50 NinthFall
Member since 2013 • 118 Posts
Unless they allow us to get some code to stream older games we already own for free, it pretty much sucks that we lost so much money on older games. Yes, I know one could have a PS3 and a PS2 connected to tv along the PS4, but come on! I don't even have space for all those and the other stuff I have connected on my tv. However, I'm trying to speedrun most of the games I haven't played yet so I've at least completed them once and my money won't go to waste. I brought some sucky games and traded for MGS: Rising (e.g. SSX), though, because that's simply a must play for a MGS fan like me.