what PS3 models are backwards compatible?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bauers-Twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Bauers-Twin
Member since 2007 • 14150 Posts
my Dad is going to buy us a ps3 for xmas hopefully but he keeps asking questions. Also are downloads from the Playstation network free? and is there a way to get uncompatible PS3's to be backwards compatible via downloads?
a-h-m-a-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 a-h-m-a-d
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts
if your ps3 isnt backwards compatable then there is no way to make it compatable, and it depends what you want to download, some downloads like demo's and themes are free but full games will cost you!
I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 I_pWnzz_YoU
Member since 2007 • 6032 Posts
Sony took it out. Which I have no idea why, very stupid move.
sykojason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 sykojason
Member since 2003 • 192 Posts
The only PS3's that are completely backwards compatible are the original 20 and 60 gig versions.
I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 I_pWnzz_YoU
my Dad is going to buy us a ps3 for xmas hopefully but he keeps asking questions. Also are downloads from the Playstation network free? and is there a way to get uncompatible PS3's to be backwards compatible via downloads?Bauers-Twin
The PSN is free in terms of online play and all that. But most purchases you make on PSN (such as games, addons etc.) you'll have to pay for. And like I said in my other post, Sony took the BC out of the systems (no clue why) so you cant buy one anymore. Unless you buy it on Ebay or the Blackmarket :?
a-h-m-a-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 a-h-m-a-d
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts
they took it out so that they could make the playstation cheaper:roll:
gimlifn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 gimlifn
Member since 2005 • 621 Posts
the first 60GB model is backwards compatible because it actually has the PS2 engine in it and is compatible with most all PS2 and some PS1 games. The first 80GB model has a software emulator in it like the xbox 360 does with backwards compatability with the original xbox games but the number of games that will work is less than the 60GB model. from there the 40GB model is not backwards compatible but I do not know about the new 160GB model uncharted package you might want to check playstation.com on that one.
I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 I_pWnzz_YoU
they took it out so that they could make the playstation cheaper:roll:a-h-m-a-d
That shows the money grubbing side of Sony. They could've made it cheaper and keep the BC. But no, they just had to skimp out.
liinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 liinn
Member since 2008 • 1782 Posts
60GB PS3 model has hardware emulator for PS2 games. The original 20GB model has software emulator, I think. Info is on Wikipedia.
biribis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 biribis
Member since 2006 • 301 Posts
The 20 GB and 60 GB models are Hardware backwards compatible (They have the ps2 chip built-in) and the 80GB model is sofware backwards compatible (It uses an emulation sofware)
biribis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 biribis
Member since 2006 • 301 Posts
The 20 GB and 60 GB models are Hardware backwards compatible (They have the ps2 chip built-in) and the 80GB model is sofware backwards compatible (It uses an emulation sofware)