What other beloved game franchise will be ruined?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

So, with the new of the next Resident Evil game essentially becoming a squad based shooter coupled with the announcement of "DmC" and FFXIII's fan blacklash: what's the next franchise to bite the dust? This isn't meant to start hate or anything(actual it kinda is but whatever:P), just honestly which franchise do you think is gonna go down the crapper. Or even what developer will start to have a downhill slide.

Come on, let's just get all these depressed, hateful feelings out and we can move on to better things.;)

Personally, I think Street Fighter is next. Capcom's become a master a crushing people's hopes and dreams so, Street Fighter seems like the logical next step towards self destruction.

Lex224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lex224
Member since 2007 • 225 Posts

Call of Duty, if of course, you don't already consider it to be ruined. Just same old games each year with no real improvements or general change. I miss Call of Duty 1. Not MW 1, the original CoD. Best game!

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Well there have been rumors about a new GoW game. On the one hand I would love a new game but the they wrapped the story up in 3 and I don't think there's any real reason to continue the story.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#4 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Well, I'm kinda getting over the whole DMC thing but I don't see the RE change being to bad....as long as they can make it actually scary!!!

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

GT5 was quite a disappointment - a six year wait for what is essentially a remake of GT4. If GT6 comes out during my lifetime, it will be a bargain bin purchase at best.

I thought Dead Space 2 was disappointing as well. The first game was horror action/adventure, the second was a linear shooter. I guess a lot of people like to shoot stuff just for the sake of shooting stuff, but personally I like to feel that there's some purpose to it. Definitely won't be pre-ordering #3.

Final Fantasy - lol. Played XII for about 100 hours and thought it was great. Played XIII for 15 hours and lapsed into a monotony-induced coma. That franchise is completely dead to me.

FIREKNIGHT19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FIREKNIGHT19
Member since 2010 • 467 Posts

So, with the new of the next Resident Evil game essentially becoming a squad based shooter coupled with the announcement of "DmC" and FFXIII's fan blacklash: what's the next franchise to bite the dust? This isn't meant to start hate or anything(actual it kinda is but whatever:P), just honestly which franchise do you think is gonna go down the crapper. Or even what developer will start to have a downhill slide.

Come on, let's just get all these depressed, hateful feelings out and we can move on to better things.;)

Personally, I think Street Fighter is next. Capcom's become a master a crushing people's hopes and dreams so, Street Fighter seems like the logical next step towards self destruction.

anime_gamer007

The problem with Street Fighter is that Capcom released two games too close to each other. I agree if they keep this up, the title will fizzle out quick.

Others that I think can be ruined down the road in my opinion would be:

Devil May Cry (I've been over this series for a long time)

Bioshock (I am a fan, but #3 better be better than #2 otherwise goodbye. However Bioshock Infinate looks promising.)

God Of War (Even though they said #3 was the last, a #4? Sure, love the series, butit better have one kick ass story,after that you are reaching.)

Killzone ( Liked #1, loved #2, was left kinda flat by #3. I'm sure fans will want another, but I think I'm done.)

Call Of Duty (I know they sell millions of copies and that the series is not going anywhere anytime soon, but after playing modern warfare, modern warfare 2, and black ops I realized I'm getting tired of it. Same thing, same recycled gameplay, different locations.)

nickz_fpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nickz_fpk
Member since 2010 • 1458 Posts

Fifa got ruined when David Rutter joined after Fifa 08. It's like since he joined the game hasn't improved.

Gymbo-59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gymbo-59
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

The SOCOM series has long been ruined. After Confrontation and Call of SOCOM4, there's not much hope. At least I was able to pick up a re-furbed PS2 and SOCOM 1,2,3&CA dirt cheap.

Gymbo-59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gymbo-59
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

The SOCOM series has long been ruined. After Confrontation and Call of SOCOM4, there's not much hope. At least I was able to pick up a re-furbed PS2 and SOCOM 1,2,3&CA dirt cheap.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Well, they ruined Ratchet & Clank by making Move Heroes into a party game.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Assassins Creed by the looks of it... I'm all for AC3 but i don't want to have to buy aqueducts and do meaningless tasks all day just to fill out the game.
kidunique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kidunique
Member since 2009 • 186 Posts
I think grand theft auto is going to be ruined. I haven't played all three episodes but I've been playing the main episode of GTAIV and I hate the driving on this game so much. Like it was so much better on Vice City and San Andreas. They need to make SAN ANDREAS for PS3. A lot of shooting games have just lost their innovation due to companies wanting to get rid of people that make the game because they might cost too much. Rediculus because the video game industry is a top money maker even in this tough economy.
Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
SOCOM
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#14 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

I think grand theft auto is going to be ruined. I haven't played all three episodes but I've been playing the main episode of GTAIV and I hate the driving on this game so much. Like it was so much better on Vice City and San Andreas. They need to make SAN ANDREAS for PS3. A lot of shooting games have just lost their innovation due to companies wanting to get rid of people that make the game because they might cost too much. Rediculus because the video game industry is a top money maker even in this tough economy.kidunique

Grand Theft Auto IV is an AWESOME game and I've heard nothing but good things about the Lost & the Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony. The driving is a bit different and takes some getting used to. I am really hoping Grand Theft Auto V happens in a new location. I didn't think Final Fantasy XIII was a bad game (it definitely was a departure from what the diehard fans are used to) and I think the sequel looks interesting so it's far from ruined. As for God of War it's definitely not ruined and I would love to play another God of War game (maybe a prologue where we get to play as Kratos BEFORE he became the Ghost of Sparta?!)

The Street Fighter series (my favorite fighting game series) is getting a bit long in the tooth, but it can't be denied that Super Street Fighter IV was WONDERFUL. Street Fighter X Tekken and Tekken X Street Fighter is a match-up I've been waiting for as Tekken is my second favorite so I don't think Street Fighter will "ruined" anytime soon. They just need to make another animated movie (not live action please) and I'll be happy with that.

risako9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 risako9
Member since 2011 • 840 Posts

^ For Kratos : He would not be as badass as today if he's not the ghost of sparta.

NaughtyRag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NaughtyRag
Member since 2009 • 2309 Posts

the only one that really comes to mind is star ocean..

till the end of time was a great game and last hope international was one of the bigger disappointments..

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Koi-Neon-X

^ For Kratos : He would not be as badass as today if he's not the ghost of sparta.

risako9

I dunno he seemed pretty brutal before he became the Ghost of Sparta so I think it would be interesting to go to that point in time in his life.

risako9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 risako9

[QUOTE="risako9"]

Koi-Neon-X

I dunno he seemed pretty brutal before he became the Ghost of Sparta so I think it would be interesting to go to that point in time in his life.

He's badass the way he is, but i want to see his good side. :D

risako9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 risako9

[QUOTE="risako9"]

Koi-Neon-X

He's badass the way he is, but i want to see his good side. :D

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

anime_gamer007

I don't see Street Fighter being the next series being ruined. They made a great game with Super Street Fighter IV. Even though Marvel vs Capcom 3 didn't live up to the hype and wasn't as good as SSF4, I think upcoming SF x Tekken should do pretty well. I like that type of fighting matchup much better than marvel vs capcom 3 where crazy attack moves, 100 hit combos and huge lazer beams are being shot around...... That street fighter x tekken gameplay video looked pretty impressive. My 2 favorite fighting games in 1.

iGotSniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 iGotSniper
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Infinity making the call of duty games up to modern warfare 2 have been successful, but now a whole different company that has made Black Ops, Treyarch, they are going to be done with these kinds of games. As of what i heard Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 is going to be made by various companies including Infinity, Raven, and other great game making companies so cant wait for that. :)
cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

Madden NFL, oh wait.........its been long dead since '05

i'd say fallout. NV was like Fallout 3:NV. why not just release it as an expansion instead of charging us 60 bucks for the same crap.

COD is going to the crapper as well. MW1 was the best game in its respective year it came out and one of the best of all time (look how many games are copying it: Killzone, Crysis, Socom...oh wait on that too....) but MW2 showed that it couldn't top itself. Dont get me started on BO.

swaggafied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 swaggafied
Member since 2010 • 391 Posts

Well, even though I am a beloved fan of Fallout, I think its prime is way past. Whenever a sequel is worse then the original I feel it going straight to the gutter. As well even though Infamous 2 isnt out yet, I think that will be ruined.

pepsisafc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 pepsisafc
Member since 2011 • 478 Posts
Well, they ruined Ratchet & Clank by making Move Heroes into a party game.The-Apostle
i agree they shoud keep them seperate and release a Jax and Daxter game reenhanced like they have done with sly and rachet
mattamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mattamomo
Member since 2010 • 929 Posts

there are quite a few coming soon:

MGS 5

Bioshock Infinite

are two big ones that i think will fail

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
When games stay the same people cry "Oh noez, rehash!!1". When they change it's "Oh noez, ruined franchise!!1" Make up your minds. You hardly know anything about the new Resident Evil or Devil May Cry but they are already "ruined", It's completely impossible that they just will be good games. Who cares if they are different as long as they are good?
Hanzoadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#27 Hanzoadam
Member since 2009 • 6576 Posts

I'll agree with Final fantasy and Resident evil

FFXIII and Resi 5 weren't great, FFXIII was just awful and resi 5 has just turned into an action shooter now :cry:

monker490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 monker490
Member since 2007 • 336 Posts

Fifa got ruined when David Rutter joined after Fifa 08. It's like since he joined the game hasn't improved.

nickz_fpk

????? FIFA is the only franchise that keeps on improving year after year. They always make the gameplay better.

Anyway i'd say i'm sceptical about Infamous 2

IWAOlympus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IWAOlympus
Member since 2011 • 412 Posts
When games stay the same people cry "Oh noez, rehash!!1". When they change it's "Oh noez, ruined franchise!!1" Make up your minds. You hardly know anything about the new Resident Evil or Devil May Cry but they are already "ruined", It's completely impossible that they just will be good games. Who cares if they are different as long as they are good? nethernova
Couldn't agree more. The same thing is happening with Dragon Age. The second is drastically different from the first, but it's still a fine game. If you like the first one so much, go play the first one again. There's over 100 hours of content in total.
IntenseJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 IntenseJohn
Member since 2010 • 107 Posts

Gran Turismo 5 ruined the series for me. Sooo many reasons but the main thing is that the game hasn't progressed in as great of a manner compared to other racers.

Ninja Gaiden 3 may be ruined as it's supposed to be differentbecause their head director Itagaki has left the company.

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
SOCOM: US Navy SEALs. Try out the beta if you are a PS+ member. They have totally ripped the balls off of that franchise and made it a (poorly done) COD clone.
S1NG3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 S1NG3D
Member since 2011 • 53 Posts

GT5 now focus on simulation more than gameplay totally ruined :S

androflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 androflash
Member since 2005 • 1034 Posts

I have a feeling the next Hitman will probably fail. I'm afraid they will make it more 'casual' by making the games more straightforward. Doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing, same thing happened to Splinter Cell (with conviction) and it was different but enjoyable. I just feel the mechanics used in the past Hitman games are very good, way too good to risk them with big changes.

Avatar image for chedarcheese190
chedarcheese190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 chedarcheese190
Member since 2008 • 793 Posts

UNCHARTED

i said it.

selene_fangz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 selene_fangz
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts

When games stay the same people cry "Oh noez, rehash!!1". When they change it's "Oh noez, ruined franchise!!1" Make up your minds. You hardly know anything about the new Resident Evil or Devil May Cry but they are already "ruined", It's completely impossible that they just will be good games. Who cares if they are different as long as they are good? nethernova
The problem with that line of thinking is that some people like the original story line and to completely remake it (DMC) is just plain stupid. The story was good. They made their games and even had one from when Dante first started his business. The fourth added a new character element in passing the torch to a new half-demon who is just as badass as Dante himself, minus the whole being shishkebabed on his own sword and just pulling it out while making some whitty comment about the damaged clothing. From what I've read, this new Dante is like some emo punk-wannabe kid who acts like the majority of teens in America. Sure you have the chance of your audience relating to the character, but I thought video games were to entertain and escape reality rather than turning into some after-school-special.

RE is coming up with a different game play style which is going to turn a lot of people off who like the previous style. Unfortunately, a lot of developers are seeing the cash rolling in from the CoD and MoH series and they want to jump on the wagon. RE has the setup for it, but it's always been more of a co-op game rather than squad based.

I don't doubt that the new games will be enjoyable for gamers, but the fans of the franchise are going to be upset about the change.

My thoughts on who's next? Uncharted. I get the feeling that Uncharted 3 is going to fall flat and then Naughty Dog will either toss the series aside to work on something else while they come up with how to fix it or just re-tool the story into something different.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#36 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Metal Gear Rising will ruin Metal Gear.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I see some people say Uncharted. Do you all mean that it won't be as good as Uncharted 2 and won't get the 9.5 score? Those are very tough shoes to fill but if Uncharted 3 turned into a 9.0 game, I don't consider that to be a ruined series or a fall flat game. That is still a great game... Uncharted 2 set the bar so high as it is probably considered the greatest PS3 game of all time. I don't see Naughty Dog putting out a bad Uncharted 3 game.

Puzzler_Aaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Puzzler_Aaron
Member since 2011 • 32 Posts
I agree with whoever said Call Of Duty. Call of Duty is bound to be next. Activision ruined Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero the same way. They released way too many of them. The same thing is happening to Call of Duty. Thank goodness I'm not a COD fan. But in my opinion, that's the next big franchise to die.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

there are quite a few coming soon:

MGS 5

Bioshock Infinite

are two big ones that i think will fail

mattamomo

Highly doubt Bioshock Infinite will fail.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
SOCOM 4 is more COD than anything else so that franchised seems to be ruined to me.
Maluk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Maluk
Member since 2004 • 175 Posts

SOCOM 4 is more COD than anything else so that franchised seems to be ruined to me.wooooode

Agree, BRING ON SOCOM II HD! Please?

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

To be honest I expect Metal Gear Solid to follow. Metal Gear Rising looks excellent but if Konami chooses to continue the series they will run it into the ground before too long. And I don't want Kojima to do MGS for the rest of his life.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts

To be honest I expect Metal Gear Solid to follow. Metal Gear Rising looks excellent but if Konami chooses to continue the series they will run it into the ground before too long. And I don't want Kojima to do MGS for the rest of his life.

Swift_Boss_A
That's the fist series that came to mind. I've been a big fan of MGS from the very start, and even though MGS Rising may be an awesome game I can't help but feel it was a step beyond what was necessary. The series ended on a high note. They should quit while they're ahead.
magnusm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 magnusm1
Member since 2009 • 918 Posts

Starcraft maybe? Not much about that game impressed me.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Mario

Zelda

Metroid

Pokemon

Halo

Gears of War

Fable

Forza

:P

JohnnyWPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#46 JohnnyWPSP
Member since 2009 • 1895 Posts

The next Ratchet & Clank game looks bad. I think that this won't ruin the franchise, but they're wasting time with this medicore kids game that they could invest in making a REAL Ratchet & Clank game.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Koi-Neon-X

I see some people say Uncharted. Do you all mean that it won't be as good as Uncharted 2 and won't get the 9.5 score? Those are very tough shoes to fill but if Uncharted 3 turned into a 9.0 game, I don't consider that to be a ruined series or a fall flat game. That is still a great game... Uncharted 2 set the bar so high as it is probably considered the greatest PS3 game of all time. I don't see Naughty Dog putting out a bad Uncharted 3 game.

BH14

I agree with you 100%. Uncharted was an excellent game, Uncharted 2 was even better, and so with Uncharted 3 expectations are through the roof and I'm sure Naughty Dog knows this so they definitely won't put out a horrible third game-I just don't see that happening.

Arthas017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 Arthas017
Member since 2010 • 295 Posts

- Metal Gear Solid 4 was the end of the series to me, I'm not getting Rising or any other game. Konami (and Kojima maybe) should make a new tactical spionage IP.

- The last Resident Evil I enjoyed was Code Veronica, although I didn't have a console so I played it a few hours, I'll be getting the HD remake. RE 4 and RE 5 are TPS.

- I'm already disappointed with sequels from both Mass Effect and Dragon Age, Bioware is no longer doing RPGs to me, and I know everybody loves ME2, but I honestly didn't (played ME1 three times already xD).

- God of War 4? Again, why not take the mechanics and do a new IP?

This leaves me to say that, as usual, a franchise name is always the way to go because it has an established fanbase but c'mon, more than 3 games in the same franchise usually start to ruin the experience (Nintendo is the only exception to me).

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
[QUOTE="Arthas017"]

- Metal Gear Solid 4 was the end of the series to me, I'm not getting Rising or any other game. Konami (and Kojima maybe) should make a new tactical spionage IP.

- The last Resident Evil I enjoyed was Code Veronica, although I didn't have a console so I played it a few hours, I'll be getting the HD remake. RE 4 and RE 5 are TPS.

- I'm already disappointed with sequels from both Mass Effect and Dragon Age, Bioware is no longer doing RPGs to me, and I know everybody loves ME2, but I honestly didn't (played ME1 three times already xD).

This leaves me to say that, as usual, a franchise name is always the way to go because it has an established fanbase but c'mon, more than 3 games in the same franchise usually start to ruin the experience (Nintendo is the only exception to me).

Wow. I agree with 99.9% of this post. :shock: (I liked ME2 a lot, but still felt it was a major step down in lot of ways.)
Arthas017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 Arthas017
Member since 2010 • 295 Posts

[QUOTE="Arthas017"]

MrSelf-Destruct

Wow. I agree with 99.9% of this post. :shock: (I liked ME2 a lot, but still felt it was a major step down in lot of ways.)

I forced myself to play ME2 because the story is so great, but I got bored of shooting over and over again, instead, I'd a friend tell me the whole story, not the same but it felt like someone that spoils you a movie in detail :P