What is the Significance of the Utilization of 4 SPE by White Engine

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thedynamite007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thedynamite007
Member since 2003 • 348 Posts
I'm not a techy guy so I just want to ask how important is it that the White Engine reportedly uses four of the six developer-available synergistic processing elements (SPEs) of the Cell microprocessor for the graphics. They even said they did this to achieve near-pre-rendered CGI quality in realtime. I don't understand this much but does using that 4 SPE just for the graphics alone really is a big deal? I do hope some one explain it to me the significance of that Square utilization of 4 spe. Even Killzone only uses 3 spe, and Gears of War only 2 spe. I don't know much about that SPe but is that important? Thanks.
bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 bigLLL
Member since 2005 • 3688 Posts
nobody really could give you a 100% right answer, as the cell is a mystery to most, even some developers....
Teyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Teyon
Member since 2004 • 678 Posts
Gears of War doesn't use any SPE's as far as I'm aware. :) Killzone uses 3 and looks near film quality, so it's possible that utilizing more would allow even further graphical prowess. However, until we see it in motion for ourselves, it's all speculation. The teaser trailer really looked great and very close to film quality cg, so I'd say it's possible.
ShmenonPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 ShmenonPie
Member since 2007 • 1117 Posts
All we need to know is that it looks better than every other game on every other console... That's the important bit.
choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts
GeOW is not on PS3 ... and 360 has 0 SPE's ... lol ...

but this basically means the White Engine uses up alot of PS3's power...
those other 2 SPE's are also still avalible for the devs. to play around with ...
thedynamite007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thedynamite007
We dont know if the trailer is realtime or CGI or only 3% of the trailer is realtime hehe! But hey it is possible to hava a CGI quality since this is a JRPG which doesn't need much AI or physics or effects thats why they can concentrate more on graphics
destructo888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 destructo888
Member since 2005 • 594 Posts

We dont know if the trailer is realtime or CGI or only 3% of the trailer is realtime hehe! But hey it is possible to hava a CGI quality since this is a JRPG which doesn't need much AI or physics or effects thats why they can concentrate more on graphicsthedynamite007

Exactly. The FF games have always been able to focus on graphics because of that. I love FF and I have no doubt that when FFXIII is released it will set a new benchmark for graphics.

AIH_PSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AIH_PSP
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
I think that because the graphics card is not really "top-of-the-line" anymore (well thats what the hermits say), they are able to use the cell processor to process graphics as well. So basically, it's like having two graphics cards. Of course, by using more SPEs of the cell, there will be less to use for AI, sound, physics, etc.
The_Tombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 The_Tombo
Member since 2005 • 3537 Posts

All we need to know is that it looks better than every other game on every other console... That's the important bit.ShmenonPie

too true..too true

TelcharXI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TelcharXI
Member since 2006 • 1189 Posts
I trust SE, I think they know what they are doing with the PS3
Ninpo_Osa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Ninpo_Osa
Member since 2006 • 2140 Posts
KillZone is also using 4 SPEs... Just to give you some reference.
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
it just means...no one can wait for these games to come out because they will just show why people bought the ps3.
thedynamite007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thedynamite007

KillZone is also using 4 SPEs... Just to give you some reference.Ninpo_Osa

Actually its 3 from the PDF file that was shown to the media about KZ development. From my understanding right now, the SPE are for physics, AI, and effects and not related to the visual quality that much because its pretty given that ps3, PC,or xbox 360 have graphic engine that can do it and its alos up to the creativity of the devs and there resources, man power and time.

Windblade91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Windblade91
Member since 2006 • 4343 Posts

the cell processor is able to use its SPE's to boost the graphics cards limits...in essence they actually use the ps3's power

btw the battle scenes shown in the trailers so far are actualy battle scenes

thedynamite007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thedynamite007
I just hope i wont hear that BS that its only 720p because this is an RPG and as i said it does not have tons of AI or effetcs needed thats why 1080p can and SHOULD be done.
GeneralX84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GeneralX84
Member since 2007 • 768 Posts

the cell processor is able to use its SPE's to boost the graphics cards limits...in essence they actually use the ps3's power

btw the battle scenes shown in the trailers so far are actualy battle scenes

Windblade91

yes, the CELL helps the GPU with floating point calculations to optimize image quality

so basically, 4 SPEs simply means better graphics in FF's case

Windblade91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Windblade91
Member since 2006 • 4343 Posts

I just hope i wont hear that BS that its only 720p because this is an RPG and as i said it does not have tons of AI or effetcs needed thats why 1080p can and SHOULD be done. thedynamite007

its square if they feel that its uneccessary they wont do it...honestly square has excellent judgement when it comes to RPG's...and when i hear SE on PS i noe i need money