What happened to survival horror?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for the_sorrow_MGS_
the_sorrow_MGS_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_sorrow_MGS_
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

This gen has now seen the release of the latest Resi and Silent Hill games. Both series used to be known for there creepy atmosphere and heart pounding horror, now look at them. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed both RE5 and Homecoming but I miss survival horror. Dead space is the only game this gen with any scares but its still not perfect.

Why cant developers come up with a genuinely scary gamming experience for the current gen consoles?

xcc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xcc2000
Member since 2009 • 73 Posts
[QUOTE="the_sorrow_MGS_"]

This gen has now seen the release of the latest Resi and Silent Hill games. Both series used to be known for there creepy atmosphere and heart pounding horror, now look at them. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed both RE5 and Homecoming but I miss survival horror. Dead space is the only game this gen with any scares but its still not perfect.

Why cant developers come up with a genuinely scary gamming experience for the current gen consoles?

I guess it's not that simple come up with a scary story, and then be able to develope it in a really "scary movie" way, ... it's a shame really, but it sounds to me like there is a lot of production behind a good survival horror game, at least much more than an action or strategy game...I think. Dead Space is great, even tho it feels a bit linear at points, but you are right, nothing like the first silent hills and RE...
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
You need to go away and play Siren: Blood Curse if you want a genuinelly frightening game. Your characters are mostly weak and vulnerable and your enemies (the Shibito, literally meaning 'corpse person') cannot permanently be killed, so you need to rely on stealth and sneak past them. It works really well. Alone In The Dark: Inferno and Condemned are also pretty good if you're after a decent horror title. A game doesn't have to actually scare you to be considered survival horror either, that's BS. In terms of design Silent Hill: Homecoming and Resident Evil 5 are absolutely still part of the genre.
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
RE5 and Dead Space are great horror games. If they don't satisfy I don't think anyone could make you a game that will.
the_sorrow_MGS_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_sorrow_MGS_

Condemned is a worthy mention, I forgot about it. I haven't played Siren, I'll check it out soon.

Still waiting for a game that leaves you trembling with fear. I heard they were going to 'reinvent' Resi again for RE6, but that is a long way offso its not looking good for horror fans. Unless DS2 can deliver.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Silent-Hal
RE5 and Dead Space are great horror games. If they don't satisfy I don't think anyone could make you a game that will.JKnaperek
Not entirely true. Neither of those games are particularly scary when compared to genre classics like Fatal Frame.
the_sorrow_MGS_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_sorrow_MGS_

lol I am a fussy gamer. But you have to admit that they are trading horror for action these days.

delta4062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 delta4062
Member since 2007 • 895 Posts
Because the devs hate you...
xcc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xcc2000
Siren: Blood Curse is a first person shooter right? For some reason I don't like first person shooters that much....specially in a survival horror
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Silent-Hal

Siren: Blood Curse is a first person shooter right? For some reason I don't like first person shooters that much....specially in a survival horrorxcc2000
Nope, it's in third person. It's definitely not a shooter either. It's a survival horror/stealth hybrid where you have to hide from your enemies.

You're probably thinking of either Condemned: Bloodshot or Shellshock: Blood Trails.

xcc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xcc2000

[QUOTE="xcc2000"]Siren: Blood Curse is a first person shooter right? For some reason I don't like first person shooters that much....specially in a survival horrorSilent-Hal

Nope, it's in third person. It's definitely not a shooter either. It's a survival horror/stealth hybrid where you have to hide from your enemies.

You're probably thinking of either Condemned: Bloodshot or Shellshock: Blood Trails.

Really? gotta check it out then...
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#12 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

Dead Space and FEAR 2 are the best scary games out.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3349 Posts

more fatal frame and silent hill pls....