What graphics card is in PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dc1155346926
deactivated-5dc1155346926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5dc1155346926
Member since 2007 • 912 Posts
I'm just curious. What kind of graphics card does the ps3 have I know it Nvidia right?
Avatar image for live4thepackers
live4thepackers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 live4thepackers
Member since 2006 • 13348 Posts
NVIDIA RSX or reality synthesizer
Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Quadrifoglio
Member since 2006 • 5451 Posts

NVIDIA RSX or reality synthesizerlive4thepackers

I heard it has the power of two Geforce 7600 GT's. Is that true, and are those graphics cards even powerful?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5dc1155346926

[QUOTE="live4thepackers"]NVIDIA RSX or reality synthesizerQuadrifoglio

I heard it has the power of two Geforce 7600 GT's. Is that true, and are those graphics cards even powerful?

hmmm I don't know man that's why I put this thread up. I want to know if anyone really has an idea what it is. I know 360 is some kind of custom ATI card.

Avatar image for live4thepackers
live4thepackers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 live4thepackers
Member since 2006 • 13348 Posts
well the geforce is significantly slower than the rsx, hasnt been proven yet but may be in the future, although the geforce can perform a few more shader progressions in a second which really doesnt mean anything
kazuya_m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 kazuya_m
Member since 2004 • 1752 Posts

RSX is based on the G70 chip which is also used for the 7800 gpu but the RSX has got some light special treatment so the cell and the rest of the machine can better work with the graphics chip and the other way round.

7800 ultra is about 2 times faster then a 6800, so a rsx should be somewhere around that numbers.

But keep in mind, a PC is alwayslimited to the software it is running. You have compatibility restriction, developers needto care for millions of different hardware and software. This means, developerscan't get the full power out of your specific PC like tech demos try to show us (Ruby Nalu etc...) if they want to make the game compatible with thousands of different setups.

A console is different, one setup, one hardware configuration, the possibility to get quite near the full power, the machine has got.(OK 100% is impossible, that would be just a dream but consoles get closer to their limits then PCs will ever get)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5dc1155346926

RSX is based on the G70 chip which is also used for the 7800 gpu but the RSX has got some light special treatment so the cell and the rest of the machine can better work with the graphics chip and the other way round.

7800 ultra is about 2 times faster then a 6800, so a rsx should be somewhere around that numbers.

But keep in mind, a PC is alwayslimited to the software it is running. You have compatibility restriction, developers needto care for millions of different hardware and software. This means, developerscan't get the full power out of your specific PC like tech demos try to show us (Ruby Nalu etc...) if they want to make the game compatible with thousands of different setups.

A console is different, one setup, one hardware configuration, the possibility to get quite near the full power, the machine has got.(OK 100% is impossible, that would be just a dream but consoles get closer to their limits then PCs will ever get)

kazuya_m

Hmmm interesting....so does this mean that it's possible for Sony to update the drivers of the card like PCs do? I mean through firmware updates? I don't mean to sound stupid or anything...it's just an honest question.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Indeed, The RSX 'Reality Synthesizer' graphic processing unit is a graphics chip design co-developed by Nvidia and Sony for the Playstation 3

It shares a lot of the same infrastructure of Nvidia 7800 which is based on G70 architecture.

Keep in mind that 7800 GPU is modified specifically for PS3 Cell Processor, which gives it a noticeable edge over core 7800.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX_%27Reality_Synthesizer%27

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Quadrifoglio
Member since 2006 • 5451 Posts

kazuya_m

Okay...

KandyKornMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 KandyKornMan
Member since 2006 • 310 Posts
well since the ps3 is like a pc a firmware update should be able to fix lag or screen tearing.I dont see why not as nvidia and ati release drivers that fix or break these problems all the time.and you know the ps3 isnt running 100% right now.it might take another year or 2 of firmware updates to show its true power.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5dc1155346926

well since the ps3 is like a pc a firmware update should be able to fix lag or screen tearing.I dont see why not as nvidia and ati release drivers that fix or break these problems all the time.and you know the ps3 isnt running 100% right now.it might take another year or 2 of firmware updates to show its true power.KandyKornMan

That's what I was looking for. I believe this too. They can update their GPU just like a PC can through firmware updates. This should be able to fix some AA problems and screen tears in the years to come. I think that the GPU can only get stronger. Hopefully we will start seeing some firmware updates that address this.

jack_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jack_jackass
Member since 2007 • 299 Posts

kazuya_m
nah, i dont wanna say your wrong but my pc has dual 7800 gtx's and it hardly plays fallout 3 on minimum settings and the ps3 plays it at full settings greatly, like the xbox. so i dontreally know how they compare the cards to each other.
MrGanny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrGanny
Member since 2009 • 2911 Posts

lol why you had to revive 2 year old thread ?

Avatar image for chinchillables2
chinchillables2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 chinchillables2
Member since 2008 • 259 Posts

guess the urge within was strong, lol.

touchyourtoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 touchyourtoes
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts
Maybe because he didn't want to start a new thread only to be told to do a search.