What does Sony do with address they demand for PSN?

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Hi all, I recently bought a PS3 and while attempting to sign up for PSN I saw that they not only require your real name just to sign up, but demand your home address and billing info upfront as well. Beyond being leery about giving such personal information to a site that has been repeatedly hacked and had user information stolen, I'm also wondering what Sony does with it. I don't intend on buying anything from the network, just download demos and such, so it would be good to know if they send you junk mail themselves or sell your information for others to do so. Any testimonial? Also, if there's a way past those requirement, the methods would be good to hear as well.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Postosuchus:

They don't force billing info, not sure where your getting that info from.

And its just your address...put in a fake one if your so scared, and a fake name if your paranoid, what's the harm in knowing a name?

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Name and address is info identity thieves love to have. With sony's hacking history that could be a real concern. Plus really don't want to be sent anything via snail mail. Might just use a fake one if there's not much chance of sony banning the account and console.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Honestly, they don't do anything with the address. I've never gotten any physical mail before from them. I'd just use fake details (just be sure to write them down).

BinkyM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BinkyM
Member since 2007 • 102 Posts

@Postosuchus: The only mail I get is from my bank, the government, and discs from GameFly, so apparently Sony's doing nothing with it, and they've had my info for years.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Articuno76 said:

Honestly, they don't do anything with the address. I've never gotten any physical mail before from them. I'd just use fake details (just be sure to write them down).

I got my PS move and Vitrua Tennis 5 from winning a competition by snail-mail.

johnalexm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 johnalexm1
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

If your still wondering what Sony does with your address is send you ads for their Sony rewards visa card if you oped in to them sending you updates to your email they will use your address to send you a card saying that your qualified for one that’s the only thing I got from Sony

talk-lol82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By talk-lol82
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

Well I dont know. And yeah, things can get kinda discussion hereZ

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

Unless you are suspected of credit card fraud, or use a credit card to buy things, they do nothing. Almost all companies dealing with online purchases, digital or otherwise, ask this, by the way.