what do you think the odds are on being able to change our psn names...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

in the ps4's lifespan?

i would love to pick a new username since i really didnt intend to use this account much, and it started with just one game, then another, and now i have 47 ps1 classics and countless other titles.

if i only lost my trophys id start a new one, but i cant walk away from my gaming library. i can change my name in real life if i wanted to, why the hell not my psn ID? charge me, fine, but just give me the option, still pissed someone stole my name ><

Seanscottuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Seanscottuk
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

I too hope that we are able to change our PSN Names, Steam does it perfectly!

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
I would definatly like to but I doubt that we will beable to right away, posably down the road. I dont really want to loose my trophy stats.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

I didn't even know you couldn't change your PSN name. Anyone know why?

Supes_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Supes_24
Member since 2013 • 87 Posts
This may be a dumb answer but can't you just create a new primary account? Wouldn't you still be able to keep your games? Of course you would lose your trophies but that's no biggie, to me anyways. Unless you're a trophy ho, go for it.
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I have often thought of changing my psn name simply to change things up a bit, but I doubt they will have this option.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I doubt they will let us do it.. although I'd like to change mine.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
This may be a dumb answer but can't you just create a new primary account? Wouldn't you still be able to keep your games? Of course you would lose your trophies but that's no biggie, to me anyways. Unless you're a trophy ho, go for it. Supes_24
You wouldn't have your games and content you've bought associated with the new account, no. I kind of want to change mine since I made it when I had a Vita, and now it doesn't carry much significance.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

in the ps4's lifespan?

i would love to pick a new username since i really didnt intend to use this account much, and it started with just one game, then another, and now i have 47 ps1 classics and countless other titles.

if i only lost my trophys id start a new one, but i cant walk away from my gaming library. i can change my name in real life if i wanted to, why the hell not my psn ID? charge me, fine, but just give me the option, still pissed someone stole my name ><

i-rock-socks

Cmon dude, they tell you when you sign up to PICK A GOOD NAME YOU WANT FOREVER, it says that when you first create the PSN Account, it does so for PSP and PS3, not sure if that message is displayed on the Vita sign up, but yea Coolyfett read that message on both systems.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Coolyfett

firefox59

Why? Your gamer tag is who you are, kinda like your brand. Sony says once you make it a member can never change it so pick one you really want. Is Coolyfett the only one who read that message?

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

I don't want to change my name, but I see the ability to do so requested quite often, so maybe Sony will listen.

After all, at the risk of bringing up a competitor, XBL does allow you do change your name for a fee.  I really don't see why Sony wouldn't offer the ability to do so as well.

By charging a fee to do so you avoid people changing it constantly so only those who really want a name change will do it.

We'll see come PS4 time, I guess.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Coolyfett

I don't want to change my name, but I see the ability to do so requested quite often, so maybe Sony will listen.

After all, at the risk of bringing up a competitor, XBL does allow you do change your name for a fee.  I really don't see why Sony wouldn't offer the ability to do so as well.

By charging a fee to do so you avoid people changing it constantly so only those who really want a name change will do it.

We'll see come PS4 time, I guess.

nyc05

A 50$ fee/fine sounds fair enough to Coolyfett, but of course gamers can avoid that if they just read the sign up notice.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 i-rock-socks

[QUOTE="i-rock-socks"]

in the ps4's lifespan?

Coolyfett

Cmon dude, they tell you when you sign up to PICK A GOOD NAME YOU WANT FOREVER, it says that when you first create the PSN Account, it does so for PSP and PS3, not sure if that message is displayed on the Vita sign up, but yea Coolyfett read that message on both systems.

they say a lot of things. they said my ps3 could run linux when i got it. food for thought.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

Coolyfett

Why? Your gamer tag is who you are, kinda like your brand. Sony says once you make it a member can never change it so pick one you really want. Is Coolyfett the only one who read that message?

I had a friend who's tag was based off of a inside joke type of thing he had with his long time girlfriend. They broke up, so he wanted to change it, and did. It's really not that big of a deal, and Sony could make money off of it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#15 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

firefox59

I had a friend who's tag was based off of a inside joke type of thing he had with his long time girlfriend. They broke up, so he wanted to change it, and did. It's really not that big of a deal, and Sony could make money off of it.

Yeah, there's lots of reasons why a person might want to change their username. It's not like a username has to be permanent, like a tattoo. Even though you can have tattoos removed, but then, imprinting something into your flesh permanently is a lot different than making a lighthearted name for yourself to go by online.
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

Not sure.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

M$ charges $10 for a name change (waste of money if you ask me since it's completely avoidable). Nintendo doesn't allow name changes at all, nor do they even let me use my name on my other Wii U console.

Steam does name changes for free, although there are a lot of duplicate names so finding people can be incredibly annoying. It's also annoying when people change their name every other day, so I wouldn't want that system in place.

Gamespot.com doesn't allow name changes for the most part, like many websites...you either can't do it for PS4 or if you can, it may be charged remain like the PS3 where you are stuck with it.

Lesson is, people should take their naming schemes more seriously before they commit to an account. I thought this was obvious...

I do agree, it would be nice for those PS gamers (and other platforms) that make horrible non-future proofed names, but I plan out my naming very carefully.

As a matter of fact, it would be nice to allow name changes for various websites and other services, including other consoles. Right now, we don't know, but I wouldn't plan on a change, although I agree choices are great. The choice to change your name? Sure, sounds good. I'm fine with my name since I planned it out carefully, but for others I agree.

Supes_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Supes_24
Member since 2013 • 87 Posts
I'm ok with my name I have for my PS3 account but I would like the option to change it though. I will be changing it up when I get my PS4 though. I'll just use another email account for signing up. What about my credit card? Does anyone know if you can use the same card for different accounts like that?
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidTy

I'm ok with my name I have for my PS3 account but I would like the option to change it though. I will be changing it up when I get my PS4 though. I'll just use another email account for signing up. What about my credit card? Does anyone know if you can use the same card for different accounts like that? Supes_24

CCs won't be a problem.

AccursedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AccursedGamer
Member since 2013 • 102 Posts
I hope we can change our PSN names without having to lose our trophies or status. But I'm not holding my breath. (Really should've put more thought into my name)
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Coolyfett

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

[QUOTE="i-rock-socks"]

in the ps4's lifespan?

i-rock-socks

they say a lot of things. they said my ps3 could run linux when i got it. food for thought.

Learn how to read warning labels. A user can NOT changed ther user id & thats that.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Coolyfett

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="Coolyfett"]Why? Your gamer tag is who you are, kinda like your brand. Sony says once you make it a member can never change it so pick one you really want. Is Coolyfett the only one who read that message?

Ovirew

Yeah, there's lots of reasons why a person might want to change their username. It's not like a username has to be permanent, like a tattoo. Even though you can have tattoos removed, but then, imprinting something into your flesh permanently is a lot different than making a lighthearted name for yourself to go by online.

People make dumb decisions sometimes. Coolyett does not.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Coolyfett

Lesson is, people should take their naming schemes more seriously before they commit to an account. I thought this was obvious...

I do agree, it would be nice for those PS gamers (and other platforms) that make horrible non-future proofed names, but I plan out my naming very carefully.

SolidTy

Coolyfett has had the same email address since 1997, the same cell phone number since 2001, the same PSN account since 2008. Thats just Coolyfett though. Coolyfett makes great choices.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Coolyfett
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]Lesson is, people should take their naming schemes more seriously before they commit to an account. I thought this was obvious... I do agree, it would be nice for those PS gamers (and other platforms) that make horrible non-future proofed names, but I plan out my naming very carefully.

Coolyfett has had the same email address since 1997, the same cell phone number since 2001, the same PSN account since 2008. Thats just Coolyfett though. Coolyfett makes great choices.
CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#26 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I like my username but i know a lot of people who want to remove that xX from their account. :P

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]Lesson is, people should take their naming schemes more seriously before they commit to an account. I thought this was obvious...

Coolyfett

Coolyfett seems to have planned out and committed to his e-naming quite well. :P

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#28 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Choose your name carefully, don't choose something you might not like. Think about it before you commit
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#29 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I don't see the trouble with them making this possible. Plus they can make some easy money by charging, say, $5 to change it. I'm fine with my username, personally, but I get that a lot of people don't like theirs after a while.
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 i-rock-socks

[QUOTE="i-rock-socks"]

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]Cmon dude, they tell you when you sign up to PICK A GOOD NAME YOU WANT FOREVER, it says that when you first create the PSN Account, it does so for PSP and PS3, not sure if that message is displayed on the Vita sign up, but yea Coolyfett read that message on both systems.

Coolyfett

Learn how to read warning labels. A user can NOT changed ther user id & thats that.

u obviously arent worth conversing with since you are clearly a troll or just stupid ... both?
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 i-rock-socks

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]Lesson is, people should take their naming schemes more seriously before they commit to an account. I thought this was obvious...

SolidTy

Coolyfett seems to have planned out and committed to his e-naming quite well. :P

simple folk dont like change
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#32 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I hope there isn't an option. Yes, I may get tired of my PSN name after a while, but it'd be annoying if everyone on my friend's list changed their name because I wouldn't know who they were.