What did you think, people who finished Fallout 4?

Avatar image for stanleyhudson12
StanleyHudson12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StanleyHudson12
Member since 2016 • 88 Posts

After 17 months of owning the game and a total of about 5 months playing it, I finished the main story of Fallout 4. At first, I spent all my time on the main story, then when I got to the second-to-last main story quest I did nothing but side quests putting off the end. So here are my thoughts on Fallout 4:

-The story was awesome. It's strange that a game that superficially seems so scary and violent had the most emotionally-packed journey of any game I've ever played, and the decisions you are forced to make really do make you think.

-The factions (Minutemen, Institute, etc.) weren't great. While the Institute was cool, I found the Minutemen dull. Overall, for me it wasn't as engaging as the Brotherhood of Steel vs. Enclave thing in Fallout 3.

-The side quests were great, and there were a lot of them. My favourites were Hole in the Wall, the Big Dig and, my definite number one, the Secret of Cabot House.

-The companions were okay. I'm not really one who cares that much about companions, and I spent 95% of the game with Maccready, who is now, in my books, my favourite Fallout companion ever, just beating out Boone from New Vegas. And Codsworth was awesome.

-There is a lot to explore. I had a lot of fun just roaming around the Commonwealth, finding cool places, like that old racetrack!

So what did you guys think of the game? Anything you disagree on?

whiteagle18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 whiteagle18
Member since 2006 • 418 Posts

-The story was mediocre and all it does is get you from one side of the map to the other. It's not scary, nor violent, and has little more than a few sprinkles of emotion sparkled throughout. The decisions you make have little impact because every faction is lifeless, unlikable, and written as a rigid stereotype.

-The factions (Minutemen, Institute, etc.) weren't great (I agree). While the Institute was at least mysterious, every other faction was shit or done better in previous fallout games. I found the Minutemen to be the worst faction in this game, and probably every other game every made by Obsidian or Bethesda. The settlements were also bland compared to some of the ones present in previous title.

-Most of the side quests were boring af. There were a few stand out ones, but I don’t remember their names. Most of them boiled down to combat or choosing one of two available options (neither based on your skills).

-The companions were okay. I barely used them.

-There is a lot to explore. I had a lot of fun just roaming around the Commonwealth -for the first 5 hours-, and finding the rare cool place amongst a hundred boring ones.

-The new level up skill/special/perk system is shit.

-GTFO with settlement building.

-Bring back mature themes and crude humor to the franchise.

ItsBrink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ItsBrink
Member since 2017 • 13 Posts

- The main story was way too short and pretty boring, as soon as you went against the other factions is when it got good because you was able to kill every boring, lifeless thing in it, then it turned stale again - The side quests were not too bad and I actually spent most of my time doing them, apart from the misc ones, they were dead - I never used any companions other than to get maximum affinity with them but it was disappointing to find out that not all of them had a personal side quest, I just used Dogmeat most of the time - I never really liked the building mechanism on the game, it was very stressful to have something that should fit not snap into place - The map never seemed as big as it was boasted out to be with everything being so compact and dense, the only locations I really found interesting were Swans Pond but only because of Swan himself, The Institute and Nuka-World. Overall I'm glad that the game got console mod support because without the mods it struggles to really be a top quality game. I especially enjoyed the "Cannibal In Concord" mod. It's a fantastic concept but if compared to previous titles the game just seemed very bland

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Finished Fallout 4 in its first few days of release (main story quests), considering I was never a fan of FO3 I was actually satisfied with FO4. The shooting was meaty/ solid if just basic, the world had an interesting artstyle, and the twists had me at least interested till the end result.

Many would say I "rushed through it", however considering my thoughts on FO3. Think being happy after a 10/15 hour playthrough was reasonable.

Wouldn't play more because other games just grab me more, but it is a decent sandbox shooter/ lite RPG.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

I thought Fallout 3 was better.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

i'm convinced it's a last-gen game that got delayed, didn't release in time for the 360/ps3 and so they tacked on some half baked settlement building feature and tried to pass it off as a this-gen game. it's one of the worst looking games i have for the ps4. it was announced june 15 2015 and released november 2015. fallout 3 took four and a half years to make and fallout 4 is about 3x the size of f3.

i put about 25 hours in. then got bored. i guess as value for money goes that's not bad but overall i was disappointed. skyrim, despite its flaws, felt like a true sequel to oblivion to me. fallout 4 didn't feel like a true sequel. more like fallout 3.5

lockard34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7  Edited By lockard34
Member since 2005 • 1400 Posts

I personally loved Fallout 4. People are still to this day complaining about the freaking chat system they put in but it really isn't that bad. The story and the game play are amazing (like any other fallout game). And the dlc was even superb. 9/10 here.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@lockard34: The way I view the chat system in FO4 is it did better than Dragon Age: Inquisition, and even if that's not a worthy note, it also plays better than Biowares latest games.

Fallout 4 did something FO3 and FONV didn't achieve as well, good shooting mechanics. And for a game that is heavily about killing Raiders you gotta make the combat as playable as possible.

However. If people wanted an RPG, they should look elsewhere to be honest. I recommend Makai Senki Disgaea :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

@whiteagle18 said:

-The factions (Minutemen, Institute, etc.) weren't great (I agree). While the Institute was at least mysterious, every other faction was shit or done better in previous fallout games.

-GTFO with settlement building.

I would have to agree with you that which faction you were able to take part in was extremely bland. I decided to become a member of the Initiative due to the story with your father. It didn't do anything to really help the experience throughout the rest of the area. I personally thought the Brotherhood of Steel was shown in a new light. In Fallout 3 they were more of a "savior-type" faction, but here they wanted to dominate. The graphics were good. The story was bland. The ending wasn't even an ending. It was more similar to a method used by game writers who don't know how to end a story so they just hit the end button to call it quits. I personally think that they went too far with, "Hey, let's be like Minecraft genre" with this game. I enjoyed enhancing the settlements, but then it just became too much and too much focus was put into it. I give the game a solid 7/10.

xBlackErrthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By xBlackErrthing
Member since 2017 • 97 Posts

just started it. so far the story seems alright but the gameplay seems kinda boring.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

I started playing the game and found it really cool...and then I realise almost every Minutemen quest and most of the side quests become far too repetitive and by the time I reached the battle between Minutemen and Institute (in itself just a reptitive shooting gallery) I just stopped.

IMO as a massive fan of FO3, this was a massive let down. I may get back into the game at some point and finish it but for the last several months, I just havent had the time or the patience to sit through it.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3054 Posts

@nibbin1191: I guess the question I have is did you play FO3? Maybe they story of 4 touched you in a different way than me, but I didn't like 4 half as much as 3. But 3 was also my first Fallout game, and I'm sure that played into my decision. I really didn't like the crafting system or the base building, even though I was hopeful that it would be neat. It just ended up feeling pointless to me. I felt like I had no need to use any of those mechanics. Cooking was pointless for me since I just upped my stimpak stat and only used those. Base building was just a way to kill time and to hold all the trash I collected to use on the base. Crafting was pointless because I would either buy or find something that did the trick. The hacking and lock picking mechanics we simplified in a bad way as well. I also didn't like how populated the world was. What I enjoyed most about fallout was the overwhelming feeling of fear, desperation, and loneliness in a ghost world...coupled with super cheery music on the radio that made me feel good despite everything around me. I was super excited for FO4 to introduce me to a whole new set of great oldies I had never heard before...and I pretty much just got the FO3 soundtrack again. FO4 did have a few neat missions, but as an overall experience, I was severely let down. FO4 ins't a bad game, but it is underwhelming for it's pedigree...IMO.

Your opinion can be just as valid as mine since the whole matter is subjective, but based on my feelings of the game, I don't want your opinion to become the popular one and influence how the next game is made. I think Fallout needs a major overhaul to bring some new life into the series. I would be curious to see what a more skill based FO would look like. The also need to stop negating the negative effects of world on a whim. Creating these cool radiation storms and then giving a perk that completely nullifies radiation is ridiculous. Quit making games so easy.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3054 Posts

@nibbin1191: Well! I'm glad to find someone rational and cool enough to take a dissenting opinion with such class. Bravo good Sir or Ma'am.

I think another reason the disappointment stung so much was that I skipped NV. I didn't play FO3 until 2012 I think, and by the time I was really hankerin' for some more I knew 4 wasn't too far off. I've heard NV's story and dialogue is where it really shines, and that the world isn't quite as cool as 3, but I'll just have to find out for myself someday.

As for the modding...I played 3 and 4 on PlayStation. I just seem to get more out of that type of game when I'm relaxed and on the couch. But after seeing all the awesome mods for 4, I might have to make a switch for the next one. That also makes me want to wait a few months to a year after release for the modders to fix everything. As soon as I heard about survival mode I was super upset that I played the inferior way. I still tried to make it harder by never fast traveling. It makes you really appreciate what you have when you're basically crawling from one side of the map to the other.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

Just alright game, nothing SPECIAL IMO.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

Aside from some clunky mechanics and a very dated engine, the game was enjoyable for me. A solid 7-10

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#18 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

Loved it, I completed the main story in about 2 weeks.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#19 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

It was good. The story isn't amazing but the game still has an awesome atmosphere that carries it. I want to get the story achievements out of the way so I can mess around building a settlement and exploring.