What did you think of the Last of Us ending? (WARNING: Spoilers)

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The Plot was fantastic but the narrative was irrelevant.

However shooting the surgeon was a very special moment in the game, yeah sure you've killed 50 million people before but that part was different, he wasn't an enemy, just a guy trying to save the world kill your substitute daughter, and you get to waste his ass, you did it, not joel. It really is a shame the rest of the story couldn't be as interactive as that. Also those of you who are bored, try shooting him in the foot with an arrow and see what happens. Lol !

Non-interactive cutscenes suck

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@yonnex said:

I had no doubts or problems with joel saving ellie. After picking up one of those recorders left in the hospital and the doctor on the recording said they have extracted the brains and tissues from other immune subjects and they are getting closer with each one.

THIS THIS THIS!!!!

as much as i wanted to find the cure for humanity, many people missed this tape recorder and it basicly said that she may not be the cure and they have had many, she could of died for nothing, and so the ending was just amazing probably the greatest ending to a game i've ever seen, it was the biggest and most daring move from naughtydog i've ever seen.

it was spot on and it leaves it open to sequels aswel

VeRtiGo-365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By VeRtiGo-365
Member since 2013 • 47 Posts

@daveydark said:

Amazing ending, after hearing Marlene say in the recording "Anna you daugher will be with you soon", as if she felt morally satisfied killing an inncoent person pissed me off so much and I was like I am comming for you Ellie. man i never felt so absorbed into a video game storyline.

Just to add a little something, let's not forget that Joel has also killed innocent people before, I caught it in my second play through when Joel said he's been on "both sides of an ambush" and Ellie asks him if he's killed a lot of innocent people. However, at least Joel isn't proud of it, unlike Marlene.

VeRtiGo-365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 VeRtiGo-365
Member since 2013 • 47 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

@yonnex said:

I had no doubts or problems with joel saving ellie. After picking up one of those recorders left in the hospital and the doctor on the recording said they have extracted the brains and tissues from other immune subjects and they are getting closer with each one.

THIS THIS THIS!!!!

as much as i wanted to find the cure for humanity, many people missed this tape recorder and it basicly said that she may not be the cure and they have had many, she could of died for nothing, and so the ending was just amazing probably the greatest ending to a game i've ever seen, it was the biggest and most daring move from naughtydog i've ever seen.

EXACTLY!!!! The was never a *for sure* guarantee that Ellie's procedure would provide a vaccine. And besides, like the guy a page or two back said, they weren't even working on a cure! They were working on a vaccine, which would only prevent the current population from getting infected, but then what's the point of that? Most people get torn apart by the infected and die anyway, so what would a vaccine really do? The wounds from the bites/ lacerations from an infected swarm already kill you. So basically, if you *somehow* survive the attack, You won't die? That seems more just like a desperate attempt. And the way the Fireflies were going about working on a vaccine, finding people, sometimes kids, with immunity and killing them through surgical examination that *may or may not* get them closer to a vaccine, that can't be justified in my opinion. Marlene's and Joel's motivations differ, night and day. Marlene and the Fireflies planned on "saving humanity" through mandatory lethal surgery. Joel saved Ellie purely for his fatherly love and concern for her well-being. So really, in the end, yes, Joel lied to Ellie. But what Joel said did actually have some truth to it. The Fireflies *weren't* looking for a cure. Again, they were looking for a vaccine. He felt that, (and rightly so), a vaccine at this stage of the infection; after 20 years, would be near useless. At first when I beat the game I was a little conflicted because Joel lied to Ellie. But now it doesn't bother me as much because despite his actions, (pretty much executing Marlene) , his motivations were pure. And the Fireflies clearly can't be trusted based upon their actions.

Anyway, brilliant and beautiful game. Never had a game get me so emotionally immersed. And I think that if the ending of a game provokes discussions like this then it was certainly worth our time and money.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#105  Edited By LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i agree with @sajjed that the prospects of sacrificing ellie actually saving humanity were pretty slim. still, i doubt that's what was on joel's mind.

anyway, running out of the firefly base while carrying ellie was really tough for me. it felt so much like the beginning of the game where joel is running away from the infected while carrying sarah. i really did not expect the sequence to end even as well as it did.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@vertigo-365 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@yonnex said:

THIS THIS THIS!!!!

EXACTLY!!!! The was never a *for sure* guarantee that Ellie's procedure would provide a vaccine. And besides, like the guy a page or two back said, they weren't even working on a cure! They were working on a vaccine, which would only prevent the current population from getting infected, but then what's the point of that? Most people get torn apart by the infected and die anyway, so what would a vaccine really do? The wounds from the bites/ lacerations from an infected swarm already kill you. So basically, if you *somehow* survive the attack, You won't die? That seems more just like a desperate attempt. And the way the Fireflies were going about working on a vaccine, finding people, sometimes kids, with immunity and killing them through surgical examination that *may or may not* get them closer to a vaccine, that can't be justified in my opinion. Marlene's and Joel's motivations differ, night and day. Marlene and the Fireflies planned on "saving humanity" through mandatory lethal surgery. Joel saved Ellie purely for his fatherly love and concern for her well-being. So really, in the end, yes, Joel lied to Ellie. But what Joel said did actually have some truth to it. The Fireflies *weren't* looking for a cure. Again, they were looking for a vaccine. He felt that, (and rightly so), a vaccine at this stage of the infection; after 20 years, would be near useless. At first when I beat the game I was a little conflicted because Joel lied to Ellie. But now it doesn't bother me as much because despite his actions, (pretty much executing Marlene) , his motivations were pure. And the Fireflies clearly can't be trusted based upon their actions.

Anyway, brilliant and beautiful game. Never had a game get me so emotionally immersed. And I think that if the ending of a game provokes discussions like this then it was certainly worth our time and money.

Yep and do you know the only way to beat this would be to have a safe Haven of all the children and people who became infected but hadn't changed together and hopefully they would in time reproduce and this in turn should create people who are immune to the infection, it would be the only way, if this ever happened then that would be the next step humans would have to evolve.

plus it now leaves it wide open for sequels.

wazzawazza18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107 wazzawazza18
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts

at first i disliked the ending, i wanted to be abe to have the choice to save ellie or have her go to researching a cure. but then i relised this is joels story and this is what he would do in these circumstances, he has lost too many people close to him so he wont let Eliie be taken away from him. so as much as i disliked fighting through the fireflies at the end and killing the doctors, i respect the ending for what it is.

DonnaTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 DonnaTroy
Member since 2013 • 245 Posts

Excellent ending to an excellent game.

tarcher01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 tarcher01
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Great but nothing like the ending I expected. Was anyone else expecting 1) Joel to get bitten, infected and put out of his misery by Ellie or 2) Ellie to eventually succumb to the infection, turn into a mega-bloater and after a final battle get wiped out by an emotionally charged Joel (who then dies of his wounds??)

On a side note Ellie never wanted to die on the surgeon's slab. She wanted to learn to swim/play the guitar 'after all this is over'. I think she was expecting nothing worse than minor surgery.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

it's just a game so it's hypothetical in a pure fictional situation but I feel Joel did the right thing. Ellie had the cure within her DNA, her genetics so she should live on and have children to spread the natural immunity. Plus maybe other scientists could find a way to extract the cure without killing her needlessly. Joel had been burnt in life, he wanted to save her so he did he went there thinking it would be clean and simple without losing her... so when he found out the tables had turned on his fate once again after all his struggles he just said "F' this... we're out of here"

I liked the ending but didn't care for ND's linear gameplay, it was too much like Uncharted... same linear game with no real choices or exploration. As a survival horror game it didn't live up to my expectations of potentially reinventing the genre since there were far too few moments of mutant interactions.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ yixingtpot

it was open ended in combat, against humans.

I don't get why it didn't live up to your expectations, limited choices are inline with how survival elements are suppose to be. survival horror games are linear by nature, its just not survival horror if you got options.