What all can you do in LBPV?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ovirew (8263 posts) -

I messed around on the demo of Little Big Planet Vita and saw what the tutorial had to showcase. It started off playing pretty much like the tutorial levels on LBP PSP, which my girlfriend has, where you walk, jump, decorate yourself, move forward and backward to get around objects and use stickers. And sometimes those stickers had effects when you placed them on something. Pretty basic stuff, figured this was about all the gameplay that existed within these games.

Then I got into the last couple of tutorial levels in the demo, and things got slightly more involved. There are still no enemies, but now I can move objects around by pushing and dragging them, and I can pull back on springboards to make sackboy go flying about and bouncing off of bouncy pads. The trapeese (sp?) objects were another nice touch, as were the spinning wheels you had to grab onto - both the automatic ones and the ones you touch the screen to spin. The timed level was a nice change of pace, but I had more than enough time to complete it. And of course I had some degree of fun collecting all of the items and bubbles in the stages. I got two keys to two side-levels and owned the whack-a-sack one, but really didn't understand what they were getting at with build-a-tower.

So things got slightly more involved. My question is, do they get even more involved than that?

I guess mainly what I'd like to know is how much more interactive sackboy gets, and whether there will be any enemies in future stages.

Right now as it stands, the platforming is solid and the graphics are nice, but everything is really easy and it doesn't feel like there's ever anything at stake that prevents you from completing a stage. And it would be nice if sackboy had some sort of way to attack or temporarily stun enemies, whether it's by jumping on them or putting a sticker across them. (If there are enemies, that is. I'm hoping there are, since the demo showed those 'Hollow' things.)

And I know the thing people really brag up about LBP is its level-building tools and creativity. Which I still haven't gotten to explore. But I'm wondering what all you can really do with this level builder, what your limits are. Nobody ever really seems to talk about that, but that's kind of important information.

Do you pretty much just make levels like the ones in the campaign? And do they play pretty much the same way, or can you actually have stuff like power-ups and enemies? Can you make something as complicated as, say, a Super Mario Bros. game?

I'm just curious what all LBPV has to offer, and if there's more to it than I'm really figuring.

#2 Posted by mikeyMKII (754 posts) -

You can make very intricate levels, it just depends how much work you want to put in to tweak things. Yes you can add power-ups and enemies. You can't make your own power-ups, but you're free to make your own enemies. There's been plenty Mario levels, and I'm sure some have come pretty close to copying 1-1 for example.

I really look at LBP as digital legos. First you make shapes, then mold them into more specific shapes, then color them, and put them together into whatever you want. And that doesn't even mention the other basics; lighting, touch controls, camera control, water, sound effects, ai movement, music, et cetera.

As far as limits, I'm not sure of exact maximum level size. I've been working a month or so, and my first level takes up about 1/3 of the thermometer.

#3 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
Hmmm, I'm not the most experienced LBP player like my little brother is, but I could try to answer a few questions. About the side-levels: many of them, including Build-a-Tower, are what are called Versus games. When you play with someone else(online or locally), the tension of putting down your block is much more fun. Some of them can be played on the same system, and some versus games can only be played with others online, like the Toy Tanks level. Don't go by the tutorials - they bored me as well. Later on, there are plenty of enemies and hazards to deal with. Sometimes, you do jump on them, and in a few levels, you can used touch-controlled rockets. It can be quite a challenging game, but the tutorial levels don't show any challenge, and they do tend to drag out the basic concepts too long. The level editing is very versatile, and with a lot of dedication, it's possible to make some really nice creations. The tutorials are good, but often they only scratch the surface of a concept, and they don't outline all of its uses. You'll need to work with the tools a lot to really become familiar with them. It's far easier to make levels like the main game, but it is possible with some more advanced knowledge of the editing tools to make things with more customized graphics and gameplay, like shooters, racing games, even RPGs. The only thing you don't have too much control over is the perspective, since making a first-person game is almost impossible, but you can change the camera angles and zoom a bit, and you can change your game from a side-scroller to top-down and things like that. People have already made some shoddy Super Mario imitations, but I'd say that LBP's physics-based gameplay (not a drawback to the game itself) is what prevents it from reaching the heights of SMB's responsive jumping. I've seen some impressive things done with LBP2, though, like a remake of The Legend of Zelda's first dungeon. Theoretically, that should also be possible in LBP PS Vita. There's a lot more to it than what you're figuring. Definitely.
#4 Posted by Ovirew (8263 posts) -

Hmm, intriguing stuff. I guess I'd have to have a look around at the kinds of tools that are available to me, and see if maybe I can come up with something clever. If nothing else, I guess I could make some neat-looking levels.

One more question I do have, is whether all of the tools are available at your disposal right away, or if you have to unlock some of them?

#5 Posted by Ghost120x (5268 posts) -

Hmm, intriguing stuff. I guess I'd have to have a look around at the kinds of tools that are available to me, and see if maybe I can come up with something clever. If nothing else, I guess I could make some neat-looking levels.

One more question I do have, is whether all of the tools are available at your disposal right away, or if you have to unlock some of them?

Ovirew
you have to unlock by playing single player levels.what makes it worse is you have to find the object which is hidden in the level, which is a pain to me. I didn't even bother making a level because I'm to lazy to go back and replay levels to get a certain tool I want for my creation.
#6 Posted by Granpire (2749 posts) -
No, that's not true. The tools aren't locked to the levels, they're locked to the tutorials which teach you how to use each tool. These videos are skippable, though you'll probably want to watch them. There are materials, stickers, and objects that are locked to the levels, but those aren't necessary to create a level.