Well, a PC gamer takes the plunge... Ordering a PS3 and a copy of RDR very soon.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

My primary interest in buying a PS3 is offer a home theater device to complement my television. I initially thought about building a little Intel Atom box for such a purpose, but I thought that buying a PS3 could potentially be cheaper - and more versatile, too.

So, are there any accessories or games that you guys recommend? Heavy Rain also comes to mind, but I am waiting for a price drop on that title before I purchase it. Since I am a PC gamer already, I am not too keen on playing more generic multiplayer shooters on the PS3. I would prefer to buy console-exclusive single player games, preferably stuff like RPGs or adventure games. (Though not anything like FF13.)

As for accessories, I highly doubt I will be buying any beyond an HDMI cable... But, since I am planning to purchase RDR, I may want to dabble a little bit with the online multiplayer, so what are your suggestions for headsets or microphones?

As for other suggestions, I am open to any comments.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Any bluetooth will work.
chopstx667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chopstx667
Member since 2006 • 588 Posts
You should definitely check out Uncharted 1 and 2 if you haven't played them before. Infamous is also a great sandbox game with quite a bit to do and I hear Valkyria Chronicles is a definite must but I haven't played it so I can't tell you for sure. If you like shooters, Killzone 2 is also worth the look too.
chrisPperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 chrisPperson
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts
Yeah, any bluetooth headsets work, but the official PlayStation one works well. As far as games go, there are at least a million of them, but since you are coming from the PC side of things, I don't suppose I can try and impress you with Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2... Yes, Heavy Rain is a unique game. You might also try out some of the Ratchet and Clank games; they're very good. MGS4 is a must-buy, and by no means is it any sort of "generic shooter". If you're up to a challenge, Demon's Souls is a great RPG. The list goes on, try checking out the full game list.
KamikazeDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

User Lists: 1

#5 KamikazeDonut
Member since 2008 • 3016 Posts

For accesories I can' t really reccomened anything as for exclusives I highly reccomend Demon's Souls, God of War Collections, and God of War III.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

As you already have a gaming pc, just check out any high rated ps3 exclusive, You have a high level here so have been around awhile, you probley already know what they are unless you never go to Systemwars:P

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I know exactly where you are comming from as I own a PC as well and buy pretty much all my multiplatform games on it, as it has the best graphics and controls (especially for FPS games).

Here is the list of games I own on the PS3:

God of War III (playing it right now and I love it)

Killzone 2 (good but I prefer PC for FPS games)

Uncharted 1 (IMO 2 is better but 1 is still amazing and definitely worth buying)

Uncharted 2 (one of my favorite games ever, even though the precision of a mouse is not there lol)

LittleBigPlanet (A great game that I misjudged at first. Give ita fair shot and dont judge it just on the first few story based levels)

Rock Band 2 (a great party game)

Ninja Gaiden Sigma (eh i like it, but it has not grabbed me. Most people seem to love it though)

Resident Evil 5 (Yeah it is on PC aswell but my freind owns a PS3 so i own this, which is a good co-op game but not as good as RE4)

Infamous (good and very fun, but slightly repetitive and has its fair share of issues)

Metal Gear Solid 4 (best story in any game ever IMO. Of course you must play the first 3 in order to fully enjoy this game)

Demon's Souls (this game actually kinda feels like it belongs on PC for some reason. Worth buying depending on who you are. I like it a lot but it is not my first pick of PS3 games)

Games that look good that i dont have and are not on pc are games such as:

Final Fantasy XIII

Heavy Rain

Ratchet and Clank series

and others

Games coming out that look good and are not on pc:

Modnation Racers (definitely buying this game)

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Red Dead Redemption (itll come to PC later i bet)

The last Guardian

Gran turismo 5

Agent

3D dot game heroes

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Capitalist

As you already have a gaming pc, just check out any high rated ps3 exclusive, You have a high level here so have been around awhile, you probley already know what they are unless you never go to Systemwars:P

Advid-Gamer

Yeah, I've been on GameSpot for over five years now... But I rarely ever go to the Systems War board.

Melpoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 Melpoe
Member since 2009 • 3635 Posts

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

The_Capitalist

Yeah, I've been on GameSpot for over five years now... But I rarely ever go to the Systems War board.

"Rarely" anyway :P you should rent Uncharted 1 and 2 and buy games that might last you a longer period of time such as Heavy Rain (tho its 10 hours) Demon's Souls and if your an mgs fan then I guess it speaks for its self now doesn't it :).
chrisPperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 chrisPperson
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

The_Capitalist

Ironically, I recognize your username and avatar from the System Wars forum.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Enjoy your PlayStation 3 bud, it truly is an amazing console. As for games, there are plenty out there for you to enjoy, and many more to come. Everything everyone has already mentioned is what you should be looking at. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Get a bluetooth headset definitely. If you don't really want to use it much, just get any old cheapo one so that it will direct other people's voices out of your speakers. If you do want to use it, Sony's headset is excellent quality. Definitely get Demon's Soul, Valkyrie Chronicles, Heavy Rain, and maybe MGS4. Uncharted 2, as good as it might be pales when it comes to some pc shooters so you might skip that. I was mostly a PC gamer also, and those are some of my favorites. If you like platformers at all, Little Big Planet GOTY is worth a buy also. One of the better things about console gaming, is that you can easily buy and sell old games, so you should be able to find those games I mentioned pretty cheap on Ebay.
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

For starters:

-Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

-Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

-God of War 3

-God of War: Collection

-Heavy Rain

-Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

-Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time

-MotorStorm 1& 2

-Resistance: Fall of Man

-Resistance 2

-InFamous

-3D Dot Game Heroes

-Metal Gear Solid 4: Gun's of the Patriots

-Little Big Planet

-MAG

-Killzone 2

-Heavenly Sword

For seconds (PSN Titles):

-Fat Princess

-Flower

-Wipeout HD

-Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty

-Battlefield 1943

-Super Stardust HD

-Shatter

-Call of Duty: Classic

-PixelJunk games

-Gravity Crash

-High Stakes Poker

-Burnout Paradise

-Warhawk

I also Recommend getting a PSeye and an new Hard drive before you use it at all, you can use any 2.5 inch Sata harddrive and there very cheap. The most the Ps3 can use is a 500gig (Which is priced at around 100$, 150$ at most).

Any Blu-tooth headset is compatible, but I found that the PS3 headset works the best (Of course).

HDMI Cables, you can find them online for cheap, but in store about 20$.

Visit here for other Accessories, games, tips, help, ect.

Hope this helped!

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Get a 2nd controller.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Capitalist

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

chrisPperson

I participate from time to time, but I make a post only every few weeks now...

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Ryan_Som
Member since 2009 • 2474 Posts

[QUOTE="chrisPperson"][QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

The_Capitalist

Well, pretty much everyone here has covered my choices. :P

But seeing as you are a PC gamer first and foremost, I was going to offer you a suggested accessory that can make up for the lack of precision you get with dual analog vs KB/M.

Pick up either a FRAGnStein or a FragFX controller. They're both basically a left hand nunchuk with an analog stick and a mouse for your right hand. I'd personal recommend the FRAGnStein as all reviews have said it feels sturdier, the mouse has better weight to it, and it's wireless to boot.

Have a look for yourself:
FRAGnStein Review (being used on Killzone 2)
Using the FRAGnStein on Modern Warfare 2 (Guy runs "The Pit" in 25 seconds flat)

Hopefully this opens you up to some of the exclusive shooters that you otherwise wouldn't have played.

Dealge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dealge
Member since 2009 • 212 Posts
The most the Ps3 can use is a 500gig (Which is priced at around 100$, 150$ at most).WiiMan21
500GB Sata hard drives are only $50-60...not $100-150.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Capitalist

Well, thank you all for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

I am also interested in split-screen coop games. Any good split-screen coop games you guys recommend? I know Resident Evil 5 offers split-screen coop.

So far, my games list looks like this:

Red Dead Redemption

Metal Gear Solid 4

Resident Evil 5

Heavy Rain (will get once the price goes down)

Uncharted 2 (will get once the price goes down)

L.A. Noire (whenever that comes out)

I don't intend to buy very many PS3 games, since I am still first and foremost, a PC gamer. I prefer PC versions of games unless they offer some feature or gameplay mechanic that a console version would have (in this case, split-screen coop).

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

[QUOTE="chrisPperson"] Ironically, I recognize your username and avatar from the System Wars forum.Ryan_Som

But seeing as you are a PC gamer first and foremost, I was going to offer you a suggested accessory that can make up for the lack of precision you get with dual analog vs KB/M.

Pick up either a FRAGnStein or a FragFX controller. They're both basically a left hand nunchuk with an analog stick and a mouse for your right hand. I'd personal recommend the FRAGnStein as all reviews have said it feels sturdier, the mouse has better weight to it, and it's wireless to boot.

Using the FRAGnStein on Modern Warfare 2 (Guy runs "The Pit" in 25 seconds flat)

Hopefully this opens you up to some of the exclusive shooters that you otherwise wouldn't have played.

I was looking into these as I love pc controls for FPS (and everything else lol), but am a bit skeptical. You have not used them yourself have you?

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ryan_Som

[QUOTE="Ryan_Som"]

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

NaveedLife

I was looking into these as I love pc controls for FPS (and everything else lol), but am a bit skeptical. You have not used them yourself have you?

Personally no, I have not. But I planned on picking one up at some point to check out. I'm a console gamer primarily. Only in the past year did I try PC gaming for the first time. I enjoyed what I played of it. My computer's old and in need of massive upgrades as it is, so I plan on putting together a gaming PC when possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Resistance: Fall of Man. The entire campaign can be played splitscreen co-op. Also, it has 4 player splitscreen multiplayer.

Borderlands allows for two person splitscreen.

Motorstorm Pacific Rift is good if you want a splitscreen racing game, up to 4 players.

Check this list out for all the splitscreen co-op games.

http://www.co-optimus.com/system.php?id=2&direction=ASC&playerComp=%3E%3D&playerNum=2&splitscreen=on&singleplayercontent=on&esrb=%25&released=Y

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ryan_Som

Resistance: Fall of Man. The entire campaign can be played splitscreen co-op. Also, it has 4 player splitscreen multiplayer.

Borderlands allows for two person splitscreen.

Motorstorm Pacific Rift is good if you want a splitscreen racing game, up to 4 players.

Check this list out for all the splitscreen co-op games.

http://www.co-optimus.com/system.php?id=2&direction=ASC&playerComp=%3E%3D&playerNum=2&splitscreen=on&singleplayercontent=on&esrb=%25&released=Y

guynamedbilly

Also, I'm not sure how big you are on the cart racing genre, but ModNation Racers will support 4-player offline splitscreen as well as 2-player online splitscreen. Also, the Call Of Duty games feature 4 player offline splitscreen.

tlutz12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 tlutz12
Member since 2006 • 205 Posts

Mic - get the Logitech Cordless Vantage for PS3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879212012 its the best bar none. the official Sony mic SUCKS! it is very weak and the mic doesn't do a good job of picking up your voice. you can hardly hear people and they can hardly hear you. tust me on this.

Games - for excellent single player action check out Uncharted 1/2, MGS4, GTA4, inFamous, Assassin's Creed 2 (1 is just ok), Batman AA, or Fallout 3. if you dig co-op play i'd go with Resident Evil 5 or Borderlands. multiplayer i'd go Battlefiled Bad Company 2.

Orgymang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Orgymang
Member since 2003 • 314 Posts

I don't think I saw it mentioned but the OP mentioned using the PS3 as a home theater device therefore he/she may wish to get the bluetooth remote.