Ways to increase your internet connection speed (PS3)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vegetattack15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 vegetattack15
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts
So when I try to create a game in Warhawk, I can only put 4 players. I have my PS3 and CP hooked up to the same modem, and it is high speed cable. For you tech guys, what can I do to increase my speed?
vegetattack15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 vegetattack15

Sorry I should have put a question mark in the title.

ktrotter11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ktrotter11
Member since 2006 • 1140 Posts

u couldd isolare the full bandwith o ur ps3 by unplugging your pc..r just turng it off....

is your ps3 wired r wireless

TelcharXI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TelcharXI
Member since 2006 • 1189 Posts
Put your PS3 on a DMZ
wade3024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wade3024
Member since 2006 • 163 Posts
Where do u live? I know in Australia Cable blows! The more people in your area who have cable, the slower you internet speed will be. Go ADSL 2+, its faster, easier and the ping is better than cable. This is for australians though, last time i checked we are behind in internet speed compared to other countries!
vegetattack15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 vegetattack15

I usually turn of my PC when I play, that isolates the bandwidth for my PS3 right? I don't have a wireless router, that would only slow it down, I think...Tell me if I'm wrong.

I live in Chihuahua, Mexico. The internet is from Cablemas, seems ok with my PC, but then I have a crappy PC.

vegetattack15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 vegetattack15

Put your PS3 on a DMZTelcharXI

What is a DMZ?

TelcharXI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TelcharXI

[QUOTE="TelcharXI"]Put your PS3 on a DMZvegetattack15

What is a DMZ?

Well you have a modem so I don't think you can do this unless its a router/modem combo. Basically DMZ means Demilitarized Zone. It is outside the routers built in firewall and security, putting a device onto a DMZ allows fast unhindered access to the device. Don't do this to a PC as it is then opened to the world of hackers, viruses, etc.

MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 MERC_RECONN
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

I usually turn of my PC when I play, that isolates the bandwidth for my PS3 right? I don't have a wireless router, that would only slow it down, I think...Tell me if I'm wrong.

I live in Chihuahua, Mexico. The internet is from Cablemas, seems ok with my PC, but then I have a crappy PC.

vegetattack15

I have 3 Pc's my Ps3 and my 360 all on a wireless network...everything works great.

vegetattack15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vegetattack15
[QUOTE="vegetattack15"]

MERC_RECONN

I have 3 Pc's my Ps3 and my 360 all on a wireless network...everything works great.

So probably it's just the cable company has a crappy system, and there is nothing I can do?
DrewBlood08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DrewBlood08
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts

Where do u live? I know in Australia Cable blows! The more people in your area who have cable, the slower you internet speed will be. Go ADSL 2+, its faster, easier and the ping is better than cable. This is for australians though, last time i checked we are behind in internet speed compared to other countries!wade3024

Cable internet works like that everywhere. I got DSL 3.0 which is the same as ADSL 2+. Its the same speed of cable but usually faster because its not split and cheaper. Although DSL has the issue of speed varying depending how far you are from your ISP's remote computers. They both have plus's and minus's, most of the time depending on your location.

wade3024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wade3024
Member since 2006 • 163 Posts

Dont enable DMZ, it opens every port in your router; making your network vulverable. If your not having any problems with ports and your PS3 is connecting to the internet you can enable DMZ to test if this is a problem for you!

Yeah so leave DMZ disabled!

TelcharXI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TelcharXI

Dont enable DMZ, it opens every port in your router; making your network vulverable. If your not having any problems with ports and your PS3 is connecting to the internet you can enable DMZ to test if this is a problem for you!

Yeah so leave DMZ disabled!

wade3024

A DMZ doesn't open every port in your router, it does for the device that you configure the DMZ to use. So don't put the IP address of your Router on the DMZ. Otherwise a DMZ is used in every network around the world, its on the DMZ that you have your web servers and such. Its made to keep the stuff that needs constant unhindered connection to the internet outside of the network while protecting the devices in the network.

If connected properly which I'm sure not many people do, it can greatly enhance the speed you play at.

wazzup987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 wazzup987
Member since 2007 • 181 Posts

[QUOTE="TelcharXI"]Put your PS3 on a DMZvegetattack15

What is a DMZ?

the dmz is only for port forwarding but you can do it by acessing your router just type in your ip address in the adress bar then look for port forwarding but
MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MERC_RECONN
[QUOTE="MERC_RECONN"][QUOTE="vegetattack15"]

vegetattack15

So probably it's just the cable company has a crappy system, and there is nothing I can do?

Sorry,I can't answer that...I'm not a tech-head. Of course when I am playing online I shut everything down...I geuss thats what gives me a good connection.lol

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

Cable internet has always been kinda crazy with speed variations because it is trying support the internet data along with the audio/video at the same time. A way to test this is during the day when most TV's in your area is turned off and not using the signal the speeds are much faster but in the evening when most TV's are on in your area the speed drops quite a bit because of the high traffic on the system. Where DSL is fairly constant all the time because the signal is not shared with other media on the same line (they use seperate lines to each customer). And with some updates in the past on DSL the speed is as good as cable and in many cases it can be faster.

waza000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 waza000
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
if you are wireless, it's slower than connecting it with cable ... only advise i can give ... or don't download/run stuff on other pcs while playing online
MERC_RECONN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MERC_RECONN

if you are wireless, it's slower than connecting it with cable ... only advise i can give ... or don't download/run stuff on other pcs while playing onlinewaza000

That could be a true or false statement..it all depends on signal stregth. My download time are pretty fast and I can't even tell you when the last time I got disconnected while playing online.

Dr-Strangelove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dr-Strangelove
Member since 2005 • 811 Posts

I personally have wireless DSL with one comp that's usually off conntected the router as well. I recently tried a wired connection with it and noticed no difference.

But I was still only able to host 8 people in a user made server. no lag issues or connection problems just not enough bandwith.

Tank022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tank022
Member since 2008 • 274 Posts
so do or dont enable dmz?
ChaosBlader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChaosBlader1
Member since 2008 • 87 Posts

thats your problem you live in mexico...the best thing you can do is get a wireless router i mean my ps3 can do the best with low connection because of wi fi its my xbox and pc that have internet problems but there running on ethernet wireless is the way to go

my ps3 can function while the xbox and pc are both on.

smartcriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 smartcriminal
Member since 2004 • 1275 Posts
its just the upload limitation of cable. Here in Australia cable is at 10mbps/256kbps the best you can get is 30mbps/1mbps, either way the crap upload limits what you can do