WARNING: Faulty PS3s

This topic is locked from further discussion.

inigo_mantoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 inigo_mantoya
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Only a few weeks ago I received a refurbished PS3 (60gb) from the Sony centre here in Dublin. Everything went fine, I received it promptly after the previous one had stopped working. This refurbished model is the 3rd playstation I have had as the previous ones have all failed, all 60gb models.

Playstation were helpful and told me exactly how to do this which would cost 15.40 euro. However as of today, less than 2 weeks gone, this one has gone again as well. I simply tried to restore my system settings, saved games etc, and now it is struggling to turn on. The screen goes green and freezes and the audio craps out. The first two PS3 consoles i received failed due to the infamous "blue ray of death" issue which results in no cd/dvd or games being read by the PS3 laser.
I'm currently requesting a 4th model but since this is a 60gb problem it appears I will be wasting my time getting the same model. Therefore am I not entitled to an 80gb model? One that will play old PS2 and PSone games. I would think so and I would also think that the cost of 15.40 euro will be Sonys problem. They seem to be heplful on the phone although they deny any faults as a common occurrence and actually tell me they (PS3s) have a good life span. Thats an average of 3-4months.

This is going to be my 4th PS3 in just over a year!!!

As I write this I am resetting, restoring and trying everything i can do to fix my playstation 3, not just a "soft reset" as customer services said. It seems I am closer to solving their problems then they are. All I want to do is watch a DVD!!!

An extremely disheartened Sony Ireland customer,
Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Mr_Apple_Soup
Member since 2006 • 3580 Posts

the infamous "blu ray of death?" :lol:

you are the minority my friend, and by minority i mean there's like 6 other people who have as bad luck as you...if you want to play ps2 and ps1 games so bad, what happened to YOUR ps2 and ps1? buy an 80gig

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
blu ray of death?
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
4th PS3.Well I will not be one of those people who believe the PS3 can't break.Any piece of Tech can break,but 4?If that is true then I am sorry for your losses.But like Mr Apple[LOL] said you are in the minority.People still have their fully working launch PS3s.But with that being said the PS3 is no perfect console.I swear to god if I get a message one more time in game only to open it up and it freezes,so the only way to unfreeze it is to quit out of the game I am going to snap.
Avatar image for railroberto2007
railroberto2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 railroberto2007
Member since 2007 • 1405 Posts
its funny how you cant find any other forum posts by people who post topics like this
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
its funny how you cant find any other forum posts by people who post topics like thisrailroberto2007
As it has been stated before this guy is in the majority.Any piece of Tech can break.If he is lying then shame on him for telling it and Shame on me for believing it,but until that has been proven I believe him.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#7 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
I'm still on my first one.
krylon36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 krylon36
Member since 2008 • 318 Posts
either youre crazy unlucky or have some other factor affecting your ps3's such as bad electrical wiring in your residence or very poor ventillation.
FF6fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FF6fan
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts
Yeah i my blue-ray drive broke about a week ago, I guess it's called the Blue ray of death. Though i have to say you have some bad luck either that or your trolling.
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8784 Posts
Have they all been refurbished TC? You should get a new one instead. My 60 gig is still going strong. Knock on wood.
johnmetcalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 johnmetcalf
Member since 2003 • 348 Posts
I can't say that I've heard of any issues. My PS3 is running great. If I where you I'd put that bad boy on a surge protector and make sure you have good ventilation like one of the other posters said.
the_mailman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12 the_mailman
Member since 2003 • 497 Posts
bad electrical was my first thought
FriedTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FriedTech
Member since 2008 • 91 Posts
bad electrical was my first thoughtthe_mailman
Yeah,dirty power wreaks havoc on high end electronics
abarua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#14 abarua
Member since 2005 • 115 Posts

Only a few weeks ago I received a refurbished PS3 (60gb) from the Sony centre here in Dublin. Everything went fine, I received it promptly after the previous one had stopped working. This refurbished model is the 3rd playstation I have had as the previous ones have all failed, all 60gb models.

Playstation were helpful and told me exactly how to do this which would cost 15.40 euro. However as of today, less than 2 weeks gone, this one has gone again as well. I simply tried to restore my system settings, saved games etc, and now it is struggling to turn on. The screen goes green and freezes and the audio craps out. The first two PS3 consoles i received failed due to the infamous "blue ray of death" issue which results in no cd/dvd or games being read by the PS3 laser.
I'm currently requesting a 4th model but since this is a 60gb problem it appears I will be wasting my time getting the same model. Therefore am I not entitled to an 80gb model? One that will play old PS2 and PSone games. I would think so and I would also think that the cost of 15.40 euro will be Sonys problem. They seem to be heplful on the phone although they deny any faults as a common occurrence and actually tell me they (PS3s) have a good life span. Thats an average of 3-4months.

As I write this I am resetting, restoring and trying everything i can do to fix my playstation 3, not just a "soft reset" as customer services said. It seems I am closer to solving their problems then they are. All I want to do is watch a DVD!!!

inigo_mantoya

i have got my ps3 more than a year now, and i have never had a problem with it, maybe you are just a bad user of it.

curiously_sly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 curiously_sly
Member since 2008 • 116 Posts
yeah same foe me my one is still working ok since launch
MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

inigo_mantoya
just buy a new one if you keep spending $150 to send it to sony its just a waste of money
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Amazing how quick people are to run to Sony's aid and blame the user. Its not too hard to believe that he has had multiple breaks because remember people, the consoles that Sony sent him are previously broken consoles that other people have sent in. It would be one thing if he said that he had 4 brand new consoles and they all broke, but a high failure rate among previously failed consoles is not hard to believe.
inigo_mantoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 inigo_mantoya
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Thank you to the last post. To everyone who doubts the legitimacy of this statement: I take GREAT care of my PS3. Really well ventilated and never dropped or even moved. Always clean. I have done a great deal of research into this problem and it is starting to happen to people. The PS3 60gb model was designed and put on the shelves very fast to have a christmas release, thus flaws which were inevitable were not ironed out through rigorous testing. Oh and i'm not gonna spend 600 just for a new one coz sony messed up. I do believe they have been sending out other peoples refurbished PS3s with other faults, which explains why my refurbished one lasted a week.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Honestly, with everything Ive been hearing, Im extremely glad I cheaped out and got the 40. 4/5 of the PS3's I hear of broken are 60gbs. Cant they send you a refurb of a different model at least? Then get a ps2 and you win.
RangersRock30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RangersRock30
Member since 2007 • 844 Posts

DONT get a refurbed 60 Gig! Simple as that..