Vita slim being announced January 30th?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Sony is teasing a new Vita announcment in less than a weeks time

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/24/ps-vita-slim-set-for-release-in-europe-and-north-america

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I wonder if the current Vitas will get a price drop. Or at least the memory cards. The 64g card is almost the same price as the system!

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Hopefully it's not that

The new Vita is garbage. There's going to be a lot of people who buy this inferior model because they don't know any better.

I'm not a big fan of selling this version to take advantage of people who aren't smart.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

there's not one piece of bad hardware out there, and if the new Vita is a bit cheaper build it doesn't matter because the entire industry is at a losS for great, truly great games. The market is dying because of iOS, Android devices and cheap casual small sized 30MB or slightly more games... they are puny, cheap new old school SDK garbage trendy games and it's ruining what we get offered as modern console or handheld games. I love the Vita, but it's been collecting dust because there's nothing to play on on it other than Soul Sacrifice in my opinion.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Hopefully it's not that

The new Vita is garbage. There's going to be a lot of people who buy this inferior model because they don't know any better.

I'm not a big fan of selling this version to take advantage of people who aren't smart.

It's not as bad as you want to make it.

The screen quality difference isn't that big and I wasn't fond of the Black Bloches the Oled created, not to mention it wouldn't last nearly as long as the LCD display will.

The system is lighter, and thinner which is always a benefit in this day.

The buttons have been improved slightly, and the back touchpad has been improved which is great for remote play.

Longer battery life which is another huge plus for a PORTABLE games system.

Internal memory, which while it isn't large it's better than nothing.

(Hopefully) Large selection of colors to choose from, which is better than the Black the Vita offered minus the limited editions.

Finally USB Charging which will be very nice since most people will have plenty of USB cable around.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

@jasean79 said:

I wonder if the current Vitas will get a price drop. Or at least the memory cards. The 64g card is almost the same price as the system!

Most likely the current Vita is going away. Amazon, and Gamestop no longer carrier it for shipping, and while Bestbuy does they're being marked as clearance.

I'm betting something is going to be happening with the memory cards, once again NOBODY has the 32GB in stock, and it's been like that for awhile so I'm not sure if it's pricing or a supply issue.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jaysonguy

@TwistedShade said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Hopefully it's not that

The screen quality difference isn't that big and I wasn't fond of the Black Bloches the Oled created, not to mention it wouldn't last nearly as long as the LCD display will.

The buttons have been improved slightly, and the back touchpad has been improved which is great for remote play.

(Hopefully) Large selection of colors to choose from, which is better than the Black the Vita offered minus the limited editions.

Finally USB Charging which will be very nice since most people will have plenty of USB cable around.

No, actually it's worse...

The screen on the new Vita is 18% dimmer with blacks being washed out and whites having a dingy look to them. Colors don't pop and less muted tones of colors are indistinguishable next to each other.

The system losing less than 40 grams isn't huge and making it "slim" doesn't increase it's portability. The device is still over half a foot long and 3 and a half inches high. The whole "well now it's portable" is a crock made to try to convince gullible people that this new size makes it somehow easier to put in a pocket.

The new Vita's thinness isn't that great unless you have tiny hands. The Vita itself isn't that great to hold for long periods of time and this new version is even worse because even with the cut down touchpad you still need to do finger curls to play without touching the back.

The buttons and D pad are the same, the only difference is that the start, select, and home buttons are now more like the face buttons. The problem is that before the buttons were flush and almost impossible to press while you were playing a game. Now the buttons protrude from the body and can easily be pressed while you're playing a game. They can also be pressed while the Vita is in a cloth carrying case or in a bag, something that was impossible before.

The touchpad is not better, it's shorter, that's it. The same touchpad that's better than the PS4's touchpad but still not as responsive as a cell phones touchpad is the same except for real estate.

The longer battery life is nice but not at what it costs you. Plus the Vita get around 6 in real world testing and the new Vita is getting about 7.5.

The internal memory is another crock. It's 1 gig which will allow you to play just about nothing that Sony has to offer when it comes to their best Vita games so you're going to need to buy a memory card. Worse yet? The new Vita only understands one storage device at a time so you can either use that internal memory OR a memory card.

Large selection of colors is nonsense. It's a well known fact that screens look the best on a black handheld. Al the other colors do is detract from the visuals, then again they're already doing that with the lower quality screens so.....

The USB is nice but again not worth what you're giving up in build quality, screen quality, and overall usability.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Im going to buy a vita, but I don't know which one to get... Oled screen or no?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@TwistedShade said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Hopefully it's not that

The screen on the new Vita is 18% dimmer with blacks being washed out and whites having a dingy look to them. Colors don't pop and less muted tones of colors are indistinguishable next to each other.

The system losing less than 40 grams isn't huge and making it "slim" doesn't increase it's portability. The device is still over half a foot long and 3 and a half inches high. The whole "well now it's portable" is a crock made to try to convince gullible people that this new size makes it somehow easier to put in a pocket.

The new Vita's thinness isn't that great unless you have tiny hands. The Vita itself isn't that great to hold for long periods of time and this new version is even worse because even with the cut down touchpad you still need to do finger curls to play without touching the back.

The buttons and D pad are the same, the only difference is that the start, select, and home buttons are now more like the face buttons. The problem is that before the buttons were flush and almost impossible to press while you were playing a game. Now the buttons protrude from the body and can easily be pressed while you're playing a game. They can also be pressed while the Vita is in a cloth carrying case or in a bag, something that was impossible before.

The touchpad is not better, it's shorter, that's it. The same touchpad that's better than the PS4's touchpad but still not as responsive as a cell phones touchpad is the same except for real estate.

The longer battery life is nice but not at what it costs you. Plus the Vita get around 6 in real world testing and the new Vita is getting about 7.5.

The internal memory is another crock. It's 1 gig which will allow you to play just about nothing that Sony has to offer when it comes to their best Vita games so you're going to need to buy a memory card. Worse yet? The new Vita only understands one storage device at a time so you can either use that internal memory OR a memory card.

Large selection of colors is nonsense. It's a well known fact that screens look the best on a black handheld. Al the other colors do is detract from the visuals, then again they're already doing that with the lower quality screens so.....

The USB is nice but again not worth what you're giving up in build quality, screen quality, and overall usability.

How much have you used the new Vita?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jaysonguy

@MethodManFTW said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@TwistedShade said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Hopefully it's not that

About a week

Someone I work with has been using it for a while now side by side with the origial Vita and he snagged some of the older models because he never wants to switch to the newer version.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@MethodManFTW said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@TwistedShade said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Hopefully it's not that

About a week

Someone I work with has been using it for a while now side by side with the original Vita and he snagged some of the older models because he never wants to switch to the newer version.

Ah. Well I don't see why you hate it so much, lol. It is similar to the 5S vs the 5C.. Cheaper but not as good. Some people like that, some people don't.

The buttons sound better though to me. I've got through 2 OLED Vitas now and I hate the button quality on them. Doesn't matter for most of the games I play on it but they are so noticeable during UMvC3, Guilty Gear, etc...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Last_Ride

@marcheegsr said:

Im going to buy a vita, but I don't know which one to get... Oled screen or no?

i would go for the original one tbh

xeon71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xeon71
Member since 2005 • 208 Posts

I personally am waiting for the new model. I've owned the original model since its release but I sold it. I've read reviews stating that the screen difference is not near what people make it out to be. I actually prefer LCD as it shows more natural colours than OLED. The extra battery life is a bonus. The built-in 1GB storage (although small) is also a bonus. I found the original Vita uncomfortable in my hands even for shorter gaming sessions.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Last_Ride

@xeon71 said:

I personally am waiting for the new model. I've owned the original model since its release but I sold it. I've read reviews stating that the screen difference is not near what people make it out to be. I actually prefer LCD as it shows more natural colours than OLED. The extra battery life is a bonus. The built-in 1GB storage (although small) is also a bonus. I found the original Vita uncomfortable in my hands even for shorter gaming sessions.

I don't mind it at all tbh, i still like it a lot

GrindheadJim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 GrindheadJim
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I have some reservations about the internal memory (one or the other), as well as the performance of the new LCD screen, so, I'm likely to buy another "old" Vita if I ever need a replacement.

I am, however, very curious if we will see another shift in the memory cards. Likely, we're looking at a shift down, where the 4gb card is phased out, and the price drop comes in the form of larger cards taking up the old pricing of there smaller brothers, which would put the 64gb card at around $80 USD. Not ideal, but, workable.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Hopefully it's not that

this

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Hopefully it's not that

No, it's a matter of opinion. The OLED vs LCD argument is overblown. I'd rather have longer battery life. If you think the OLED version is better, then you can get that version. Nobody is stopping you. But it doesn't mean that someone who has a different opinion isn't smart. It's more likely that people who think that the new Vita is garbage are just internet trolls.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jaysonguy

@jcknapier711 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Hopefully it's not that

No, it's a matter of opinion. The OLED vs LCD argument is overblown. I'd rather have longer battery life. If you think the OLED version is better, then you can get that version. Nobody is stopping you. But it doesn't mean that someone who has a different opinion isn't smart. It's more likely that people who think that the new Vita is garbage are just internet trolls.

Facts aren't opinion

The new screen is a downgrade, the overall build quality is a downgrade