This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Exardious (164 posts) -

Hey guys

And a happy new year.

My son turns 8 this month, and im thinking about buying him a Vita. I have a couple of questions though.

He spends a lot of his time on the PC skyping with his friends, and watching youtube videos.

1) Can he skype on the vita while playing games and/or watching youtube?

2) Can he receive skype calls while the Vita is in standby mode?

3) Are the psp games gimped on the vita, in any way? Or do the play as good on the Vita, as they do on the PSP?

#2 Posted by Exardious (164 posts) -

Come on guys... Anyone?

#3 Edited by andyrulesliver (437 posts) -

hello, to be honest I have never used the Skype function on the PSVita, but i would imagine he would be able to receive incoming skype calls whilst in standby mode-I get email notifications this way. As for playing video/games along side, he may have to close the game he is playing in order to skype. dont see this as a massive deal tbh but it certainly wont work like the XboxOne snap function.

PsP games I find work very well on the vita and I much prefer them, having said that, vita games are much better on the vita (surprise surprise) and i'd save my money for them. there are plenty of great games out there for it now

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#4 Posted by ShepardCommandr (4844 posts) -

Don't.Get him a 3ds.

Much better games suited for his age.

#5 Posted by Exardious (164 posts) -

Hey guys

Thanks for the input guys.

Not chosing the 3ds is totally deliberate. I want him to have a device, where he can skype (while gaming too), and watch youtube, as that is actually what he does most of the time. And were getting a PS4 in the house, as soon as they are back in stock, so he can remote play his games too. The Vita just makes more sense, for our specific needs.

#6 Posted by TheTenth10 (3085 posts) -

I found this : http://www.skype.com/fr/download-skype/skype-for-ps-vita/

and this : http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/26/download-youtube-for-ps-vita-today/

so Skype and Youtube should work on PS Vita, never tried any of these personally

#7 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@Exardious said:

Hey guys

And a happy new year.

My son turns 8 this month, and im thinking about buying him a Vita. I have a couple of questions though.

He spends a lot of his time on the PC skyping with his friends, and watching youtube videos.

3) Are the psp games gimped on the vita, in any way? Or do the play as good on the Vita, as they do on the PSP?

1, there is skype and a browser on it

2, i am not sure, i haven't used it.

3, Not that i have noticed, Liberty Stories played alright

#8 Edited by VintAge68 (529 posts) -

@Exardious: Happy New Year!

You can use both Skype and Youtube flawlessly on the PSV, but I'm not sure it does work while playing (in any case the Vita permits to just minimize one application while starting/using another, without needing to close it).

The PSV actually is in standby all the time (unless the battery is down), but whether or not you receive calls probably depends on being connected to the net in the same time, while leaving the app open (i.e., it stays connected in standby; likewise you receive messages via PSN, mail, Twitter).

Downloaded PSP games work fine on the PSV; and you have also additional options to change screen format or controller layout (press/hold the PS button).

#9 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

Yeah, I Skype all the time on the Vita and you can use it alongside something like a game.

The Vita's my main YouTube device also. Otherwise, it's not a reliable multi-media device though.

#10 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

Don't.Get him a 3ds.

Much better games suited for his age.

Disagree

The Vita had more games perform better in the last year than the 3DS

No sense in getting him second best

#11 Posted by Lord_Spanky (25 posts) -

@Exardious said:

Hey guys

And a happy new year.

I can't help with the skype issues but i can testify to the fact that all the psp games that i've tried on my vita look just like they are supposed to as far as I can tell. In fact, if i had to give a nod to one or the other, I would say the games look better on the vita.