Vita issues/shortcomings

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

So, I'm really enjoying the Vita so far. That said, nothing is perfect and I've noticed a few things that are kind of annoying. This may be a long read. The short of it is it that it seems there is no universal chat, being that any chat functionality is tied to an app. You're not consistently logged in the the network. Also, the Vita doesn't do a good job of notifying you of certain things or pointing things out like where the game updates and manuals are.

I'm copying this from the official Sony Vita forums:

1. Whenever you launch an app (ie: messaging, party, psn store, etc) the system always logs you into the PSN. Why can't the vita log me in when I power on the device or when I re-establish network connectivity? I would look at my friends list and see that my cousin was not online. However, when he launched an app, I received the notification that he was online.

2. Last night I tried to download a demo and to my surprise I did not have enough room on my memory card. It took me a few minutes to locate where I can see how much memory I have left. The location is Settings – System – System Information. It hit me that in order to manage the files on your memory card, you need either a ps3 or a computer. Granted a majority of people have either one or both, what if you are on the road? This is a portable device isn't it? Shouldn't we be able to manage the content on our memory card from the vita? There should be a memory card manager where it shows you how much memory you have. What applications are taking up memory, how many pictures you have, dlc, music, etc all under the same memory card application. I won't want to launch the Photo app to delete pictures, or the music app to delete songs. I should be able to manage all my content from the memory card application. This brings me to my third point.

3. The Group Messaging, Friends, and Party app should all be one application. It doesn't make any sense that I can't send a message to a friend from the friends app, or invite them to a party. Furthermore, in order to read the message it has to open the message app. Doesn't it make sense to open a PSN social app where it integrates all 3 into one Social application. Here you can see all your friends, send messages, and create parties all in application. Currently, we have to launch the party app and send an invite, then your friend needs to launch an app so that he can be signed on into the psn before receiving the invitation, when he clicks on the invitation it opens the messaging app, he accepts the invitation and finally he is in the party

4. The Vita doesn't do a good job of explaining features we don't know about. For example, no where does it say how to download updates for games. I just so happen to stumble upon the icon on the top left of the game launcher page. They should label the icons so we know that this is the download icon, game manual icon, etc. There's this one feature when you look at your friends profile called shared play history? I played with my cousin Hot Shots Golf last night, and it did not populate in the shared play history. Is this supported by some games? Or is this something else besides keeping a log of the games you and your friends play together.

5. The party chat app is fantastic although it has its limitations. I think we are back to square one with allowing the developers to decide if a game can support chat. My cousin and I were playing Hot Shots last night and we were unable to use the Party chat app and play Hot Shots. Why? Isn't it all on the same PSN network? I understand some games need to turn on networking in order to utilize all the power the vita has to offer (ie: Uncharted) but it doesn't make sense when a game that has online play, doesn't allow you to use the party app.

6. One cool feature is the ability to see all the activities of your friends for each game. For example, if you click on the game icon, you are brought to what I call the game launcher page. Here you can see the manual download updates, etc. If you wait a few seconds, you should see a couple of bubbles appear in the bottom. If you swipe your finger from the bottom up, you will be brought to an activities page. Here you can see what your friends have done in the game. Pretty cool. Only problem is, if you comment or give a thumbs up on your friends activity, there is now way for your friend to know you performed those actions. Your friend would have to scroll through all the activities to see any comments or thumb ups he received

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
I don't own a Vita myself, but some of those are good points. The one thing that REALLY bugs me from the Vita is its SIZE. You can't fit the damn thing in your pocket. I heard that there is a lot of "space" in the Vita, which means that it is possible to make it smaller with different material, as well
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"]I don't own a Vita myself, but some of those are good points. The one thing that REALLY bugs me from the Vita is its SIZE. You can't fit the damn thing in your pocket. I heard that there is a lot of "space" in the Vita, which means that it is possible to make it smaller with different material, as well

I guess they could make it thinner and cut the like 1/2in of whatever below the screen but its still gonna be to big for your pocket with the 5in screen. I wouldn't want it small enough for my pocket. My phone fits in my pocket and its not easy to do real gaming on. My 3ds fits in my pocket and its uncomfortable to using after awhile. The vita I can play and my hands and fingers dont hurt.
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"][QUOTE="LastRambo341"]I don't own a Vita myself, but some of those are good points. The one thing that REALLY bugs me from the Vita is its SIZE. You can't fit the damn thing in your pocket. I heard that there is a lot of "space" in the Vita, which means that it is possible to make it smaller with different material, as well

I guess they could make it thinner and cut the like 1/2in of whatever below the screen but its still gonna be to big for your pocket with the 5in screen. I wouldn't want it small enough for my pocket. My phone fits in my pocket and its not easy to do real gaming on. My 3ds fits in my pocket and its uncomfortable to using after awhile. The vita I can play and my hands and fingers dont hurt.

I wonder if something will be announced by September/August or Holiday 2012
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"][QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"][QUOTE="LastRambo341"]I don't own a Vita myself, but some of those are good points. The one thing that REALLY bugs me from the Vita is its SIZE. You can't fit the damn thing in your pocket. I heard that there is a lot of "space" in the Vita, which means that it is possible to make it smaller with different material, as well

I wonder if something will be announced by September/August or Holiday 2012

It took about 2 or 3 years for them to come out with the PSP slim. I dont see any reason they'd slim the Vita any faster.
volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

You make some really good points and when I first got my Vita #1 was my main concern. However, I now merely open the friends and messaging apps and leave them both running while playing a game. That way you'll receive real time updates :)

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Agreed to all..cept for number 2, manging stuff seems pretty easy. Memory kicks in that the last Demo I downloaded was 1gb ok so that is taking up alot of space ill delete it for more, idk it seems like common sense when managing memory.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Agreed to all..cept for number 2, manging stuff seems pretty easy. Memory kicks in that the last Demo I downloaded was 1gb ok so that is taking up alot of space ill delete it for more, idk it seems like common sense when managing memory.

Blake135
Added convenience > your "common sense". WE NEED TO BE SPOILED MOAR! :) :) :)
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blake135

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

j2zon2591

Added convenience > your "common sense". WE NEED TO BE SPOILED MOAR! :) :) :)

Yeah well true I guess, It just doesn't feel like a issue, If they were to fix those 4 listed I would prefer they did them before this one.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Grieverr

You make some really good points and when I first got my Vita #1 was my main concern. However, I now merely open the friends and messaging apps and leave them both running while playing a game. That way you'll receive real time updates :)

volume_three

Hmm... good idea. I'll do that, thanks!

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grieverr

Blake135
Yea, it's not the worst thing, but I'd like to be able to see my memory card contents, including save data and DLC. It would be more convenient to have that and delete a game or save file over having to go to the main screen, find the game/demo and delete it from there.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blake135

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

Grieverr

Yea, it's not the worst thing, but I'd like to be able to see my memory card contents, including save data and DLC. It would be more convenient to have that and delete a game or save file over having to go to the main screen, find the game/demo and delete it from there.

Actually ill fully agree with you, I just remembered how annoying content manager is, yes managing everything on my Vita could be improved.

ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 ALLoY1717
Member since 2003 • 6753 Posts
you can add an unimpressive browser to that list. it doesnt seem like an improvement on the psp or ps3 browser. skype is still missing a pount of annoyance to me since one of the main reasons i bought one for my nephew was for skype, and it has been featured on nearly every add. old psp games too expensive and the emulation isnt 100%. i got metal slug 2 and it runs extremely slow on the system. no ps3 to ps vita voice or video chat. ps 3 users cant see me Online when im logged into my vita. you may notice a few spelling errors and typos in this post, that is due to a lack of auto correct something i personally have become quite found of when using my ipad. browser also cant be used in portrait mode which would be more comfortable. i like my vita, hardware is great launch line up was good but from a system software point of view it feels unfinished. i also would like to see a more open platform for app and small game development.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blake135

you can add an unimpressive browser to that list. it doesnt seem like an improvement on the psp or ps3 browser. skype is still missing a pount of annoyance to me since one of the main reasons i bought one for my nephew was for skype, and it has been featured on nearly every add. old psp games too expensive and the emulation isnt 100%. i got metal slug 2 and it runs extremely slow on the system. no ps3 to ps vita voice or video chat. ps 3 users cant see me Online when im logged into my vita. you may notice a few spelling errors and typos in this post, that is due to a lack of auto correct something i personally have become quite found of when using my ipad. browser also cant be used in portrait mode which would be more comfortable. i like my vita, hardware is great launch line up was good but from a system software point of view it feels unfinished. i also would like to see a more open platform for app and small game development.ALLoY1717

However Its also a ray of light at the end of the tunnel, PS Vita has SOFTWARE issues and software issues can be fixed with a few patches, its nice to know it has no serious hardware issues that would cripple it in the years coming.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6060 Posts
I don't like how the messages are not instant and you have to set a certain time so the app can check if you have new messages.
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
yea, my main concern is #1. i hope they fix that ASAP.
BonoBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BonoBoy
Member since 2002 • 587 Posts
yea, my main concern is #1. i hope they fix that ASAP.LP4EVA2005
OP makes some good points. My main shortcoming is that I can't play it all day! Some would think it would negatively impact my productivity at work ;)
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Really don't care much for the social app, they're rendered more or less useless when you're on the go and without a WiFi hotspot.

I will say that the system trying to log you into PSN every chance it gets is annoying. If I have Wifi turned off, maybe I don't want to log in and the system should stop wasting 10 seconds trying to log in then tell me it failed.

One more complaint from me is Vita's obsession with touch controls. I know touching the screen and making it a smudgy mess is "in" right now, but there's so many things that could have just easily been single button presses.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#19 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts

The one big thing for me is the lack of any internet radio. I know it's not such a popular thing, but I'm a great fan of the Bassdrive and Sleepbot internet streams.

One for day, one for night.

This is just one of the features that the PSP had, but the Vita doesn't. I hope it'll come around eventually, along with RSS feeds and Youtube. The Vita needs better support for streaming media in general.

theZEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 theZEAST
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
The Vita was launched one week ago...Wait for updates, nothing is ever perfect the day it comes out -- cell phones, computers, consoles....they are all launched and then release updates to fix the so called "imperfections." Give it a couple of weeks and will almost 100% see improvements
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"]I don't own a Vita myself, but some of those are good points. The one thing that REALLY bugs me from the Vita is its SIZE. You can't fit the damn thing in your pocket. I heard that there is a lot of "space" in the Vita, which means that it is possible to make it smaller with different material, as well

Vita fit fine in my jeans pocket.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
Psp was a bit easier to delete is some ways but I like that on vita I can delete multiple music or videos at one time rather than one at a time.