thirdson1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By thirdson1812
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts

The creator of oculus rift had said that VR will end up being the future of gaming and that we won't need physical TVs or monitors to play games and not needing to physically meet people. I thought this statement was truly stupid as it makes no sense as to how goggles on your eyes are going to be the future and makes people look like lazy slobs.

I'm predicting Sony might say something similar to this with Project Morpheus.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#2 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i'm not really hot on the idea for gaming. the selling point is always immersion, but i have no problem being immersed in games right now. i never played metroid prime, dark souls, or limbo and thought "oh, man. i would be so much more immersed if i was using VR." i was already in those worlds. immersion is about game design more than it is about hardware.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

imho, vr goggles like the oculus ones would be a great addition to games which have a fixed first person view (any kind of vehicle games), other than that they would be partly functional... i have purchased the sony move peripheral sharpshooter and it was a gimmick as well as a pain to use in fps games like killzone, it was quite disorienting and physically exhausting since you had to hold up the peripheral all the time except cutscenes... vr goggles do not require you to do that but they would challenge our perception by being disorienting to our natural senses...

apart from fixed first person view games like racing, space / flight sims, it could also be useful in strategy games, but other than that it would be a nuisance...

btw if i want to have a video call with one of my friends i can already do that without having some sort of contraption weighing down my head anyways and it will feel better and cost considerably less...

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

VR will have it's place as a valid option and part of gaming and other forms of entertainment, but realistically, it isn't the 'be all and end all'. At most, it will be just another piece of the pie.

It doesn't make sense to dismiss the concept altogether as "dumb", just because the Oculus creator happens to be a tool.

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

@mdk12345: That's marketing lingo. Of course they're saying that. Just like when mobile game devs try to convince you that PC and console gaming is dead and we're all going to be playing games on phones. Or like when some were saying that motion controlled gaming was the future. It's just rhetoric.

People can wish and envision whatever they like but it doesn't make it reality.

As long as there is demand for traditional games, and an audience willing to spend money on those games; and as long as there is a demand for TV's and such, they will continue to exist.

You won't need to wear a device on your face to watch TV just because Palmer Luckey says so.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

VR is cool and all. I would like to try it, but im not excited about it at all. I rather stick to the old fashion way.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

He said it would happen in decades... Who knows how technology will advance in that time period.

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

I have only a small interest in VR right now. I will need to see and hear more, as well as get pricing info, before I can know if I will try it or not.

thirdson1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thirdson1812

@marcheegsr: exactly what I'm pointing out

thirdson1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thirdson1812

@Lhomity: yeah true. PC and console gaming absolutely tromps mobile gaming and there is no chance that mobile will take over PC and consoles. And yes, it all depends on demand on current technology, software and products.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

VR gaming will just remain a niche. even if Sony does create great VR games for Morpheus. Virtual reality gaming will run its course as motion controlled gaming and 3D gaming have before it. Sony did both of those with PSeye and PSmove and PS3 3D enabled games with the 24 inch monitor. Sony will deliver with the VR morpheus but it will run it's course in 5-7 yrs and remain a niche aspect of gaming. Just as motion controls and 3D have.

VR is just a fad.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

That is actually offensive to say that we won't need to go out and actually meet people physically.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts
@thirdson1812 said:

I thought this statement was truly stupid as it makes no sense as to how goggles on your eyes are going to be the future and makes people look like lazy slobs.

That looks like being lazy to you?

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

As for those modern game gadgets (Kinect, game pad for WiiU, Oculus Rift, 3D) the tech has been developed without knowing what to do with it and if it really brought anything good. First practical problem : you'll be able to turn your head left and right to look around but when you want to move you'll need a different output to confirm the direction or your neck will be tired fast staying in the same direction. Then the closer to your eyes, light and proximity of things will tire your eyes., and cause motion sickness.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MondasM

@commonfate: well, with vr we can never have those marathon 6 hour gaming sessions, or we can rest next to virtual bonfire... :D

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18  Edited By digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts
@MondasM said:

@commonfate: well, with vr we can never have those marathon 6 hour gaming sessions, or we can rest next to virtual bonfire... :D

Challenge accepted :) I'm sure there is a spot in the Guinness Book of Records for something like this.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MondasM

@digitm64: i worry for your health... :)

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

VR will not replace conventional gaming(at least not for a long while). Today's VR equipment can't sustain your typical action game experience as the average gamer will get sick trying to play a camera intensive game such as a twitch shooter or a hack n slash. What we will initially get will be more passive experiences that are light on chaos but heavy on visual immersion. There's no need to feel threatened that the gaming you're enjoying today will be ruined by shoehorned inclusivity of VR.

Personally, I'd buy in if I could watch my Blu-ray movies in a simulated I-Max theater. I'd crank my DTS, sit on my couch and lose myself!

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MondasM

i love racing games, may it be track, rally, off road, as well as flight sims, on or off planet, so i am sold for vr, but only for those games... :)

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

I don't see the difference in being a lazy slob sitting on the couch playing games on a tv and being a lazy slob sitting on the couch playing games with a VR headset as far as being a lazy slob goes.

Another thing to keep in mind is that he said he feels they will replace TVs in a few decades. Think about the state of entertainment in 1980 and consider that technology continues to move at an exponential pace and who knows what entertainment will look like in 2040.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

This makes no sense "lazy slobs" ... what has that got to do with anything? most of this thread's responses sound like peasant whining about CHANGE.

oh no CHANGE.

God forbid technology leaps happen to the point where we don't look at a rectangle limited view TV... instead.... the game is our normal human depth of field.....

Seriously... what is wrong with you people against the idea?

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#24 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I don't think it's anywhere close to being a feasible way to play video games. I personally couldn't care less about it at the moment, but that may change in perhaps another 10 years or so.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Nothing says "I am the king of geeks and nerds" more than a VR unit stuck to your head.

I can't stand having a tiny headset for online play attached to my ear so there is no way in hell I am putting one of those VR monstrosities on my head. No interest whatsoever.

For those that do choose to use it...neck problems incoming.

ed_woody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 ed_woody
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

One word - "Holodeck"

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MondasM

@The_Rick_14:

remember those times when you had a vr headset and were watching movies and playing split-screen co-op games with your friends, me neither... :)

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I'm excited about it. I enjoy immersive technologies like 3D and surround sound currently, and see this as the next logical step. I worry about being isolated, but I just see it like anything else... you have to use it in moderation. I could picture a new subset of people wasting away with these goggles on, though, as they prance around virtual worlds with attractive avatars.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Shut Up.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#30 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

It's a gimmick imho

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

Sony has had some form of VR headsets going back to PS2 I think, I remember reading about them being $5000 back then, it's a gimmick unless they can sell them cheap. I have a 3DTV, I wear glasses so it's a hassle to wear the 3D glasses over my actual glasses... so despite me liking 3D I tend to avoid it in the end. I can't imagine VR dome over my head being any less annoying.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@commonfate said:
@thirdson1812 said:

I thought this statement was truly stupid as it makes no sense as to how goggles on your eyes are going to be the future and makes people look like lazy slobs.

There is so much potential in that.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

@BranKetra said:

@commonfate said:
@thirdson1812 said:

There is so much potential in that.

90% of gamers will be tired after 15 minutes of this

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

What is with all these negative stereotypes about gamers in this thread? I can assume everyone posting on gamespot forums are gamers. What is wrong with you people?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@TheTenth10: You are not looking at that technology's potential. What comes after it will be even more realistic. In my opinion, a holodeck or Danger Room-type of virtual reality interface is the goal of VR technology. People will be gaming in a totally different way without the restriction of a controller. People will want to get up and try it and maybe gamers will get exhausted after exerting physical effort in fifteen minutes, but that will be so intriguing that they will come back for more.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Some of you sound extremely terrified of things evolving past sitting on your couch and holding a controller lol. I've seen grown men cry out of fear using a OR. It's a whole new level.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Way to keep an open mind

VR will develop a niche, but to what extent it will alter the approach to overall game design is the true unknown. 2D devices (TVs, smartphones, monitors, etc.) aren't going anywhere and there will always be a market for those experiences. But VR is and has been the aim of the gaming world for a long time - it's only now starting to realize its own potential.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MondasM

well i love hypotheses, i am looking forward to matrix as well as holodecks, but how did we end up discussing unforeseeable future with current events... given 200 years i am sure that we will be enjoying something on a very different way, however with the technology at hand and its implementation in the next 20 years, we won't be anywhere near a holodeck or something resembling it...

i remember the first time i saw a 3-d movie at the theatre in the 80's, i have played with the early vr showcases in the early 90's and they have made a comeback, but as long as you cannot implement those in a package which would not require one to be tethered to any kind of cumbersome gizmo, they will be uncomfortable for the most, which in turn will lead in their demise... if they can be presented in an unobtrusive way, then maybe they will catch on...

i can understand that we are gamers and we should be open minded but i reckon i'll have the same stamina as a marine, without working out like one in order to be competitive on any shooter, where i will have to run a marathon just to get to the warzone, anyways we can talk about stances all day long... i guess in future every gamer will be a pro athlete... well, that sounds very realistic... :D

having an open mind is not the same as fantasising or coming up with for now implausible hypotheses, there are very logical uses to vr as there are very illogical ones, let's be real about its capabilities... :)

rockinpapa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rockinpapa
Member since 2012 • 45 Posts

This kind of prediction seems quite over the top but still VR seems lika a decent alternative and hopefully latter on there will be more games developed specifically for it.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

Well this was a very long necro. To be fair, I didn't see the potential of social VR 4 years ago either. But OP was clearly proven wrong as social VR and virtual screens are now proven to be extremely important usecases for VR.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

true but back end tech is still a long ways away. major power req

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

VR is simply incredible, and it's only just beginning. Pretty soon we will have high-resolution displays, wireless capability, and lighter headsets to wear.

With that said, I don't think it's going to be the "future" of anything except itself; it is simply another way to view and interact with games.

Solspear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Solspear
Member since 2015 • 67 Posts

This old thread post is a joke.

Escape Rooms are all the rage nowadays.

Somebody delete this thread, unless its here just to laugh at this guy.

hitemhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hitemhigh
Member since 2006 • 36 Posts

@Megavideogamer: It is still going strong. Lots of great games out for it.