Valkyria Chronicles... Really?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IOwnsGh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 IOwnsGh2
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts

I picked up this game for $20 because everyone said it was one of the best RPGs on the PS3. I've played it for about an hour and honestly... I don't like it. I move a couple characters around and they sit and shoot. Then i watch scene after scene or the characters talking.. Is the ENTIRE game going to be like this? Will there actually be a time where I can shoot myself and not have the game shoot for me? If not, i'll play for another few hours and give it another try. But I definitely didn't expect this, and so far, i'm very disappointed.

Anyone who has played the game, break the news to me. Is it going to be like this the entire game, or will things switch up and let me free roam and actually shoot the gun myself..?

evil_angel74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 evil_angel74
Member since 2007 • 988 Posts
If you mean shoot the gun yourself like in an FPS, then no. It will stick to: aim, press fire button, watch character fire based on their stats. If it's not for you, then it's not for you. Personally I love it. I downloaded the demo for it when it came out and though wt is this, this is rubbish. But then after all the praise it got, I bought it cheap and after a level or two of the game it just grew on me. In the end, it is a Tactical RPG/Strategy RPG. And it does a good job at being that type of game. A lot of people just don't like those genres.
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
The beginning is pretty slow. It's gets really good later on. And yes, you can control where your character is shooting just press R1 to aim and then X to fire. Also, if you went into this thinking it was an RPG, you'll probably be disappointed. It's better described as a strategy shooter hybrid with some RPG qualities. It's an awesome game if you gave it time.
IOwnsGh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 IOwnsGh2
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts

I went in thinking it was going to be an amazing RPG. I've read a TON of people say it's one of the best RPG games for the PS3. And when I think of amazing RPG games, I think of Oblivion, Borderlands, and Final Fantasy. Really didn't expect this. I think i'm going to continue and try to get into it, but it's very doubtful. I know this is the PS3 forum, but this feels kind of like Halo Wars to me..

Anyways, i'll keep at it, and see if I can't get into it..

Also, if this game doesn't work out, which RPG would you recommend for the PS3? I've played Borderlands, and LOVED it. Played Dragon age, thought it was pretty good. Played Tales of Vesperia for the 360, LOVED it. I like those kind of RPGs. I know i've heard people say Demon Souls was good, but I watched a few gameplay trailers and didn't see much that I liked. But i'll give it a try someday. I really wish they'd make a Borderlands 2.. That'd be awesome. Anyways, any other RPGs you'd personally recommend? And please don't tell me to use the sticky for recommendations, i've read it a million times and appreciate the opinions of the public.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 anime_gamer007

I went in thinking it was going to be an amazing RPG. I've read a TON of people say it's one of the best RPG games for the PS3. And when I think of amazing RPG games, I think of Oblivion, Borderlands, and Final Fantasy. Really didn't expect this. I think i'm going to continue and try to get into it, but it's very doubtful. I know this is the PS3 forum, but this feels kind of like Halo Wars to me..

Also, if this game doesn't work out, which RPG would you recommend for the PS3? I've played Borderlands, and LOVED it. Played Dragon age, thought it was pretty good. Played Tales of Vesperia for the 360, LOVED it. I like those kind of RPGs. I know i've heard people say Demon Souls was good, but I watched a few gameplay trailers and didn't see much that I liked. But i'll give it a try someday. I really wish they'd make a Borderlands 2.. That'd be awesome. Anyways, any other RPGs you'd personally recommend? And please don't tell me to use the sticky for recommendations, i've read it a million times and appreciate the opinions of the public.

IOwnsGh2
Yeah, keep trying at it. I wasn't that much of a fan of it to begin with, it wasn't until later on when it got really challenging that it suddenly clicked and I ended up loving it. As for RPGs, I personally love the hell out of Fallout 3.
Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

I heard a lot of good things about it as well and ordered it just a bit more than a month ago (for 38 bucks :(). It did start slow and honestly the tutorials felt very hard for me (I dunno why but I died 3 times in them). It does pick up after a while, and the story is amazing. The level up system and stuff are very fun, I still haven't finished it yet but I'm working on it. Combat can be too strategic for new players, as I haven't really played many strategy games I found it very challenging for me, but otherwise it's a very fun game.

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
I didn't like it at first too, keep playing to get a feel for it and maybe it will grow on you too. It got to be very addicting, I love it. Demon's Souls is awesome too, both are very unusual games, and both classics. Have you played ME2? You may like Folklore,it's good but repetitive, there's also the two Fallouts, and two Dragon Ages.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
You are still an hour into the game.... so chapter 2? Yeah, you need to wait. But the game is great. And this isn't Mass Effect 2 where the game tries to tell you its RPG but it actually is a TPS. It's an SRPG to its core. If you have bought this thinking it's an action RPG, then you were wrong.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Haters gonna hate.

VC is a fantastic game.

Jbller3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jbller3
Member since 2009 • 824 Posts

Haters gonna hate.

VC is a fantastic game.

yokofox33
lol yokofox! You know it's not for everyone.
Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#11 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts

IOwnsGh2

You should definitely check out the gameplay first for whatever you try next

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
You should have... 1) Check out video reviews, gameplay videos 2) Downloaded the demo
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
This is a strategy RPG, not a shooter. If you want a shooter you can try Fallout or Mass Effect.
octoman115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 octoman115
Member since 2010 • 765 Posts

It starts out really slow but it builds. Personally, I love this game but it isn't for everyone. Give it another shot though!

P-Shug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 P-Shug
Member since 2006 • 210 Posts
Pretty sure there's a demo in psn you could gave tried that before buying to see if it was your kind of game or not, but yeh it's not for everyone
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 anime_gamer007
[QUOTE="shaunchgo"]You should have... 1) Check out video reviews, gameplay videos 2) Downloaded the demo

Demo is no longer up on the PS Store.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
i buy it for 20 euros and i love it fantastic game too bad sequel not coming on ps3
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

It's a SRPG, not a FPS.

DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

It has a slow start. It doesn't pick up until maybe Chapter 4, and be prepared for Chapter 7 ;)

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#20 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles is an EXCELLENT game. I played the demo like crazy, picked it up at full price, and it's worth every cent. I enjoy the characters, the story, the graphics, music,and gameplay. Ittakessome getting used to, but once you have a better understanding of the characters, their personalities, weaknesses, strengths,utilize tactics,and implement your strategies I think you'll find that it's a brilliantexperience.Definitely one of the best games on the PS3.

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts

I think the gameplay is great in this game. It's a great strategy game. Although I hated the long scenes of dialogue between the gameplay. The character dialogue just annoys me. The story and voice acting is decent, but those cosntant scenes where the character chatter back and forth about pointless crap gets on my nerves. I know you can skip those segments, but I don't want to miss anything important either.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
I found it to have good gameplay but annoying characters and a crap story. I played the demo first so I knew what I was getting into. Play through a few more battles, you might find that you like the gameplay.
dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts
I didn't particularly enjoy it either, but it definetly does pick up after the first few missions. I always felt that the game needed more strategy behind it, something like Fire Emblem had a lot more strategy despite the movement restrictions.
Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dysantic
Member since 2003 • 1624 Posts
[QUOTE="shaunchgo"]You should have... 1) Check out video reviews, gameplay videos 2) Downloaded the demo

Truth