brianzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 brianzz
Member since 2016 • 7 Posts

hi, i have been gaming playstation for quite awhile now and i want a new alternative for my ps3. i currently have an i7 computer with no graphics card. i am unsure if i should buy a nice graphics card for around $400 or buy a ps4. i am leaning towards the ps4 because ill be going to college in 2 years and that will be much easier and more fun to use in the dorm. any suggestions?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10411 Posts

unless you're in a rush i'd wait until the end of the year and see how the neo turns out before you decide. also factor in the other specs of your pc and what specific version of an i7 you have before you decide to spend so much on a gfxcard

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Yeah, I'd wait until news on this supposed "PS4.5". And it might be worth just getting that if it turns out to be like $400 for the console alone.

But then again if you're only a graphics card away from a nice gaming PC that's easily going to be the most cost-effective option if you care more about performance than Playstation exclusives.

Oi_Oi_Spanky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Oi_Oi_Spanky
Member since 2015 • 301 Posts

If you have an i7 then just buy a GTX 750 Ti for I would imagine $100 stateside. That's enough to match a PS4.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Personally, I have always had both and while financially I'm not able to upgrade them at the same time for the last 20 years of gaming I always had both. Why? Simply because they go hand in hand. There were times when i couldn't upgrade my PC due to life obligations and my console would fill in the blank and then when I'm able to bring up the PC gradually to playable levels I would.

Having both will give you more variety and choices and if you're like me there are games on PC and Console that simply aren't available on both. Another point is - if you already have a PC for work, study, entertainment why not have it little beefier and enjoy games once in a while? Plus it will make you PC faster with decent upgrades.

My suggestion with your 400$ budget - buy the:

Radeon R9 380 4 GB - 200$ http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Gaming-Graphics-GV-R938G1-GAMING-4GD/dp/B00ZGF3TUC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1461500189&sr=1-1&keywords=r9+380+4gb&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_five_browse-bin%3A8259091011

And keep the other 200$ on the side. Wait for the E3 and see if the rumored PS4K is a reality or not. Then - when you can put some money to your 200$ savings and pick up a PS4 down the line. You will appreciate having both. ;)

Puggy301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Puggy301
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts

It sounds like you're on a strict budget, so I would go with the least expensive solution. If you already have a 4k monitor and at least 16gb of RAM, I'd lean towards the graphics card. If not, just go with a PS4.

Trust me, by the time you start college in two years your priorities will be different anyway. Been there, done that. Just enjoy what you can afford now and let tomorrow take care of itself.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I would buy a mid-range video card for your PC. It'll open up a whole new world of gaming.