Updating PS3's Hard Drive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NakedSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NakedSnake
Member since 2004 • 1752 Posts

Hey, OK, I'm looking to buy a bigger HDD for my PS3 and I have a couple of questions...

1. What is the maximum size HDD the PS3 Supports?

2. Can you just remove the current HDD and place a new one in and switch it on and the PS3's OS still be there or do I have to do some sort of install?

3. Obviously my saved games wouldn't be there but it is easy enough to place them onto a USB Flash drive then transfer them back ? 

dazman31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#2 dazman31
Member since 2005 • 2507 Posts

Updating the PS3's HDD is very simple.

1. I'm pretty you can get up to 500GB 2.5" SATA HDDs these days, not too sure though. I myself have a 320GB.

2. When you place the new HDD in and turn your PS3 it will have to format the HDD, but yeh the OS will still be there.

3. I'm not so sure about your saves. When backing up the HDD already in there  I know for a fact that you'll have to use a FAT32 external HDD, so I'm going to say that no you can't just simply put them on a USB. Someone else may be able to clarify this however. 

This guide should also help.

NakedSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NakedSnake

Many thanks :)

I guess save games don't matter that much....lol, I can always just play them all again :P

Which could be really fun :) hahaha

Cheers Again though. 

dazman31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#4 dazman31
Member since 2005 • 2507 Posts

Hey no problems :)

Actually I change what I said about the USB, I'm now fairly sure that you CAN use it to back it up. I did some reading and had a look at some of my USBs just lying around and they're FAT32.

So yeh I'd just say stick to that guide and you should have your new HDD installed and running in no time. Hope it works out :D 

Bazfrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bazfrag
Member since 2004 • 2217 Posts
Unless im mistaken, i think there is a video guide to installing a new HD on GiantBomb
NakedSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NakedSnake

Cheers, Look forward to getting it I brought a 320gb WD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive off Play.com for £49.99, So I look forward to setting it up just gotta be carefully with the screws :P

I'm not sure Im too worried about saved games...I can just play them again :P lol

Althought I could buy a 16gb Flash Drive... I don't know :P 

fuzzydoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fuzzydoodle
Member since 2009 • 65 Posts

Hey real quick, rather than open a new thread I grabbed this one since it is fitting for my question.

I just put a new 320 gb WD Scorpio Blue in my PS3 and instead of formatting when I turned it on, it said I need "Application Data".....

So I 'downloaded' the supposed data from playstation.com and now when I try to open the file in order to put it on my usb drive it says it cant read the file,

how else to I get this HDD to format?

Thanks.

fuzzydoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fuzzydoodle
Member since 2009 • 65 Posts

I think I got it guys! I am no computer wiz I just had to find the folder on my computer that the save file went, in order to put it on the USB drive.\

Installed and formatted--- 263/298 woooo whooo!!!

(still angry at storage media for falsly advertising storage size but.....)

Thanks.