Until when is the PS4 still worth buying? Could it still be worth it in 2018?

Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Cub
Member since 2017 • 40 Posts

I want to get a PS4 particularly for some exclusives like Uncharted but it first came out in 2013 and there seem to be some rumours about a PS5 that might possibly be released in 2018.

I thought this might be unlikely since the PS4 Pro was only released quite recently and console generations usually last longer than 4 years.

It's probably unlikely I can get one until after my exams in the summer of 2018 but by then it probably wouldn't be long before the PS5 comes out so it wouldn't be worth buying because then developers would stop making new games for it.

I really wanted to play some PS4 exclusives, so:

Would the PS4 still be worth buying in 2018?

When would the PS5 be expected to come out?

Is it worth getting a PS4 mainly for a few exclusives like Uncharted 4/ The Lost Legacy?

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

If you didn't buy the Ps4 in the first few years, chances are, you won't get 5 in the first few years. So yeah, why not?

As for exclusives: It deends on what you want to play. IMo especially Uncharted 4 is overrated, like most first party exclusives (on all platforms). The Ps4 does have a lot of exclusives though, especially japanese games.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I'd say it's still well worth getting, especially if you get a Pro. Even once the next console comes out it probably won't really be worth getting for about the first year or two anyway. And the PS4 will already have a good sized library of games by then.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@cub: As soon as the PS4 Pro drops(in a few months), the slim PS4 should also drop. I'd buy one at that time if you can wait. I don't think it'll drop again until late 2018, so no point in waiting until then. PS5 comes out late 2019.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I just got another one.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7259 Posts

It's still worth getting. Even once the PS5 comes out, the PS4 will still get a solid 2+ years of support

Atomolog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Atomolog
Member since 2016 • 195 Posts

Worth it. On sales ps4 pro can be found for 350€ with game and controller. (without sales 399) I have friends with x360 or ps3 in 2017 so my opinion is that ps4 pro will last you long and is worth it

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

PS5 will be announced in 2020 at the Tokyo games, and come out late 2020.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@GTR12 said:

PS5 will be announced in 2020 at the Tokyo games, and come out late 2020.

Agreed, but I'm thinking maybe 2019, I'd pay close attention to 2018 E3.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@cub: PS5 isn't coming next year, the PS4 is selling like hotcakes and the lifecycle is too early when looking at the previous PS gens.

Based on the killer sales of the PS4 as well as gaming history, expect the PS4 to drop in 2020-2021.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

The PS4 is definitely still worth it. Plus the fact that it's been out for a few years is a plus because it's library is huge. I just got my PS4 in February this year and I don't regret the purchase at all even if has been out for a few years.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 luckylucious
Member since 2015 • 1198 Posts

Depends if the games you want have been released yet.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

The system will still be worth it. PS3 games still came out this year 2017. PlayStation 4 will probably be supported until at 2022 before they stop production of the console. Will "PlayStation 5" come out in a few years? Yes, but games will still come out for PS4 for two the three years afterwards. The system has sold over 60 million without the help of Gran Turismo or God of War. The PS4 will definitely go on to sell 100 million units in its lifetime. Developers are not going to cut the system off just because the next generation system is out. PlayStation one games were made and sold until 2005. This was 5 years after PlayStation 2 games came out. PS2 games are still being made from a technical standpoint. You can buy Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 in Central America. Sony stopped supporting PlayStation 2 around early 2013 I believe. The system sold alongside PlayStation 3 for the majority of the seventh generation life cycle. Sony still offers PS3 games for PlayStation Plus. PlayStation 4 will last for at least a decade before it is taken off shelves completely. There is not bad time to get a console. You can get a lot of great games for cheap such as Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Tearaway, Until Dawn, Infamous, Valkyria Chronicles, Bloodborne, and more.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

of course its worth it is anything worth it?

Atomolog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Atomolog

Considering I played on x360 for 10 years until last year (that I got a good job and bought xbox one s 2tb and ps4 pro) xD

My opinion ps4 will be enough for as long as you want. Lots of amazing games on ps4 and more will for years :)

worth it

fully87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16 fully87
Member since 2013 • 69 Posts

It's worth it for the Japanese games alone, like someone else said the Sony exclusives are kinda overrated but so is Halo and Gears etc. The Japanese exclusives are where it's at this gen, games like Persona 5, Nioh, and the Yakuza series. So if your bored with the usual FPS and Third Person Action games the PS4 has got the most diversity.

Atomolog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Atomolog

@fully87: Exacly. Ps4 has lots of games with a good list of exclusives that will keep you satisfied :)

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

Honestly if you are asking now i would wait till Black Friday or maybe in 2018. By then RDR 2 will probably be out and some other polished games

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

If you're looking to buy a console in 2018, I'd just wait until you're ready to buy to see what the news is at that time. I mean, if you end up buying in a year from now...then a lot could be announced between now and then.

So if I were you, I'd wait until you're ready to buy, and then consider your options. Even if a PS5 is announced, it depends when it actually launches and whether or not it's backwards compatible.

In other words, I think it's a bit too early to ask this question - nobody will be able to give you a valid answer. Wait until you're ready, cash in hand, and then look at the landscape at the time. If it turns out that PS5 is then only a couple of months away, you might choose to wait. :-)

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

I don't know about you but I'm enjoying binge-playing so many levels that others have made on LittleBigPlanet 3. When it came out in 2014, it got mixed reviews because another studio handled it and it had so many bugs that the online was horrible (which is where the meat and potatoes is in these games). Now it has been patched so that the bugs are pretty much gone (has as little bugs as LBP2 did with the occasional level going wrong or not loading), all of the levels people made from 1 and 2 are included now, and you can now create and play levels with Toggle, Oddsock, and Swoop (whereas at launch, you could only play these characters in the story).

I'd say LBP3 alone is enough to get a PS4 for because there are thousands of really good levels. There are millions of levels but there's a lot of garbage amongst those so you just gotta filter your way through to the actual well-done levels.

Then of course there's Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Persona 5 which just add to the greatness of the PS4. But holy shit, I cannot stop playing LittleBigPlanet 3.

Avatar image for BabyPulpFiction
BabyPulpFiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By BabyPulpFiction
Member since 2013 • 246 Posts

I love my Ps4 if it broke today i'd get another one tomorrow hands down, def worth the buy.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

It is worth it, just like how every past console is worth buying. A lot of these games won't be moving on to the new consoles later on. There are still games that are only available on the NES, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, etc. Why is this even a question?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@cub: I wouldn't count on it coming out in 2018. Buy a used PS4 if you're worried. You aren't going to want to miss out on the exclusives coming next year and the year after... Not to mention the ones already out.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

@cub said:

I want to get a PS4 particularly for some exclusives like Uncharted but it first came out in 2013 and there seem to be some rumours about a PS5 that might possibly be released in 2018.

I thought this might be unlikely since the PS4 Pro was only released quite recently and console generations usually last longer than 4 years.

It's probably unlikely I can get one until after my exams in the summer of 2018 but by then it probably wouldn't be long before the PS5 comes out so it wouldn't be worth buying because then developers would stop making new games for it.

I really wanted to play some PS4 exclusives, so:

Would the PS4 still be worth buying in 2018?

When would the PS5 be expected to come out?

Is it worth getting a PS4 mainly for a few exclusives like Uncharted 4/ The Lost Legacy?

I wouldn't put much in the rumors for a 2018 PS5 release date. Typically a console announcement is made at one of the major trade shows with around a year minimum before it is released. We haven't heard anything yet about a PS5 or any substantial rumors so I would put a release date of around 2020 with 2019 being early.

If you're interested in the PS4 exclusives I would say it's worth it to pick up a PS4 towards the end of the life-cycle and if you wait until a PS5 announcement you can expect even deeper discounts on the console and games themselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#26 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Where else can you play Knack? Now seriously, even if they release the PS5 soon you have enough games to keep you occupied.